Wiki Animations

Nice work :) That must have taken a ton of hours...

I need to know how/what you did to take the mini-vid of the Dirt Cloud animation.

I used Fraps to capture the video, then exported the frames (I think VirtualDub was involved here) and put them together with Photoshop/Ulead Gif Animator.

The full images are big, but I don't agree that youtube is the best way to go. I think we could skip a lot of frames, so the image will look like a slideshow of subsequent frames. It will look worse, but it'll have much smaller size and people will still understand what's going on.

Is it complicated to do Anti?

I got Fraps and Virtual Dub. I'm just gonna capture a few 10 sec vids and see what I can do with them. Any tips/tricks/hints/walkthroughs would really help :)

Speaking of translations that don't quite work...

I'm not too fond of "Dirt Cloud" I was thinking that something like "Burrow" could work well but even that isn't quite right. Or is it? Anyone got suggestions on that one? The German name is: Schmutzwolke

Sandstorm is cool and sounds a lot like a desert boss Combat Art

That's exactly what came to my mind as well when I read Knuckles' suggestion.

Normally I would translate Schmutzwolke as Smog. But in this case I think sandstorm fits better. My favourite would have been

Dirty Trick (throwing dirt in the eyes of an opponent is a dirty! trick in both of its meanings and it would have at least the Schmutz as dirt)

less good

Sandman (bringing sleep=slowing)

I can see what you're trying to describe when you say Dirty Trick chattius. I was trying as best as possible to describe an action of "kicking/throwing dirt in the eyes" to incapacitate an opponent. Throw Dirt and Dirty Trick would be accurate names but not very "cool" sounding. I'm sure there's a short expression of the action out there somewhere but I just can't think of it... It's still up for debate so if anyone thinks of something please toss it in here.

Nice work :) That must have taken a ton of hours...

I need to know how/what you did to take the mini-vid of the Dirt Cloud animation.

I used Fraps to capture the video, then exported the frames (I think VirtualDub was involved here) and put them together with Photoshop/Ulead Gif Animator.

The full images are big, but I don't agree that youtube is the best way to go. I think we could skip a lot of frames, so the image will look like a slideshow of subsequent frames. It will look worse, but it'll have much smaller size and people will still understand what's going on.

I got Fraps and Virtual Dub. I'm just gonna capture a few 10 sec vids and see what I can do with them. Any tips/tricks/hints/walkthroughs would really help :yay:

Thanx Anti! I do agree that the gif, and gifs of combat arts in general, is very attractive and much better looking than a video. Unfortunately it's the level of effieciency that I'm most concerned with. Gifs don't provide an option to load or not. Readers will have no choice but to load GIFs along with everything else on a page and considering the file size of animated gifs are VERY large as web graphics go I can't justify the use of them for the enjoyment of a privileged percentage of readers who have the bandwidth to handle a page load like that. Videos on the other hand compress to much smaller filesizes, Flash, and can be controlled as to whether or not they load automatically as well as if they will loop or not. In fact there are a ton of things that can be controlled regarding video. Not to mention the fact that said videos can also have audio within them making them that much more entertaining.

On that note I DO intend to include video. After Knuckles' pointed out the animation it occured to me that readers at present have no way of knowing which Boss combat art is which. That is to say that while fighting a boss it would be difficult to recognize a Boss combat art without first seeing it's animation displayed somewhere. So... I will be making vids for the bosses and I will certainly be watermarking the vids. There have been a number of sites who insist on taking our unique content. Not that I want to get into it but simply to explain why. :o

Oh and as for the process of video creations I can not emphasize Xfire enough. You simply CAN NOT go wrong if you use it. It's in fact disturbing how well xfire records and compresses vids. Something I tried mastering for years in Vdub takes a mere click for Xfire to do. So if anyone wants to make vids... Use Xfire. ;) Once compression is complete the video can easily be uploaded to our Youtube account which anyone can contact me or gogo about.

P.s.

Honestly. Dump Fraps/Vdub and use Xfire.

P.p.s.

Just use Xfire.

P.p.p.s.

Xfire....

and considering the file size of animated gifs are VERY large as web graphics go I can't justify the use of them for the enjoyment of a privileged percentage of readers who have the bandwidth to handle a page load like that.

You mean, people that had the bandwidth to download 2GB of patches for the game? :yay: I don't think many dial-up users are browsing that wiki :o

I got Fraps and Virtual Dub. I'm just gonna capture a few 10 sec vids and see what I can do with them. Any tips/tricks/hints/walkthroughs would really help ;)

It's fairly simple :) Any walkthrough would be useless, as it depends on what your software can do. With some of them, you can simply import the video, and just crop it and save. Others require more work.

GIMP has everything you need basically, including animation capabilities. There are many tutorials online :)

You can still find Ulead GIF Animator 2.0 on the net, it was the last freeware version of it. It's very easy and straightforward to use. I don't know if any of the hosted files are virus-free though :) I used to be rather fond of Ulead stuff, they were so much more friendly than photoshop and similar... not sure about their latest products.

As a general rule, see if your image editor allows you to import a video that you can edit and save as a .gif file.

If not, break it into separate images with VirtualDub. VirtualDub can actually save the video as a gif, but don't do it (it will ruin the quality). Use File -> Export -> Image Sequence, and choose PNG as file format.

Import the images into the GIF Animator, or GIMP and save as .gif :) It's not that complicated.

Edited by Antitrust
Are you on a retainer or something schot? Is that how you're keeping this site afloat...shamelessly advertising other products!

What huh?! I have no idea what you're talking about... :o

You mean, people that had the bandwidth to download 2GB of patches for the game? :yay: I don't think many dial-up users are browsing that wiki ;)

Hmmm, well if we were to assume that everyone got all the patches, from their own home, that they even wanted patches, and that they have not recently lost their internet... Then yes. I do believe you yourself were at risk of such a circumstance not so very long ago Antitrust. So for those few I reserve consideration. :) Generally though, in terms of web design the smaller the page load the better.

Are you on a retainer or something schot? Is that how you're keeping this site afloat...shamelessly advertising other products!

What huh?! I have no idea what you're talking about... :o

lol

You mean, people that had the bandwidth to download 2GB of patches for the game? :yay: I don't think many dial-up users are browsing that wiki ;)

Hmmm, well if we were to assume that everyone got all the patches, from their own home, that they even wanted patches, and that they have not recently lost their internet... Then yes. I do believe you yourself were at risk of such a circumstance not so very long ago Antitrust. So for those few I reserve consideration. :) Generally though, in terms of web design the smaller the page load the better.

I would prefer being able to pick what I watch personally. Mainly because my internet isnt very fast, not everyone has a connection of greater than even 1megabit/second so browsing picture/animation intensive pages is always a drag.