My PS3 disc died...?

So I come back from camping for a couple of days, fire up the PS3 to play some Sacred, and start the game... everything seems as normal, the Ascaron logo loads, then CDV loads, but the game is not reacting to me pressing the start button... after seeing the M rating logo, the screen turns black except for a small grey box at the top middle of the screen, and that is how it stays... I tried restarting the game, restarting the PS3, cleaning the disc thouroughly, same result every time: an evil grey box. I recall before I left for camping my 10 year old daughter had taken Sacred 2 out to play another game, and I noticed a big fingerprint on the bottom of the disc (which I immediately cleaned off)... I cant see any other explanation for this but that she must have touched the absolute wrong spot on the disc which is causing the game to not load properly anymore. After about 45 minutes of trying things out to get the disc to play properly, I ordered another disc online ($30). :D Has anyone else every experienced this before with Sacred 2 or another game?

So I come back from camping for a couple of days, fire up the PS3 to play some Sacred, and start the game... everything seems as normal, the Ascaron logo loads, then CDV loads, but the game is not reacting to me pressing the start button... after seeing the M rating logo, the screen turns black except for a small grey box at the top middle of the screen, and that is how it stays... I tried restarting the game, restarting the PS3, cleaning the disc thouroughly, same result every time: an evil grey box. I recall before I left for camping my 10 year old daughter had taken Sacred 2 out to play another game, and I noticed a big fingerprint on the bottom of the disc (which I immediately cleaned off)... I cant see any other explanation for this but that she must have touched the absolute wrong spot on the disc which is causing the game to not load properly anymore. After about 45 minutes of trying things out to get the disc to play properly, I ordered another disc online ($30). :D Has anyone else every experienced this before with Sacred 2 or another game?

That is one I have not had! I have a pretty glitchy PS3, too! I've had the it in for service 3 times so far...

I feel is must've been the disc. I assume it still plays other games / blu-rays etc?

I feel is must've been the disc. I assume it still plays other games / blu-rays etc?

^This is the key question right here. Assuming other stuff plays, it's the disc. If other stuff doesn't play, it's the PS3.

$30 online? I hope you took advantage of GameStop's current $20 price tag, assuming you live in the US.

Not sure if PS3 has the same weird HDD issues that 360 has on some games, but you might want to try deleting the cache on your harddrive if you can. I have one game that requires you to either format the HDD everytime you want to play or play an MP3 while loading the disc or it will come up as "unreadable disk." :bye:

Does PS3 allow you to copy games to the HDD like 360 does? I'd try that if it's possible.

Sorry I forgot to mention if other discs work fine (which is of course the first troubleshooting step), and they do.

Didn't know Gamestop was having any deal... oh well. I got it for $28.99, S&H just $3.99 through an Amazon.com shop and the place selling lives in California so I'm expecting to get it in the mail today. Been trying out FFXIII while I'm waiting (it had been sitting in my closet for the last month unopened), already a little bored, seems like such a simple game compared to Sacred 2. :)

Sorry I forgot to mention if other discs work fine (which is of course the first troubleshooting step), and they do.

Didn't know Gamestop was having any deal... oh well. I got it for $28.99, S&H just $3.99 through an Amazon.com shop and the place selling lives in California so I'm expecting to get it in the mail today. Been trying out FFXIII while I'm waiting (it had been sitting in my closet for the last month unopened), already a little bored, seems like such a simple game compared to Sacred 2. :D

From what I've heard and seen of XIII it's crap. They should have ended the series with XII rather than stick the brand on such a crap game.

I'm not expecting the new MMO to be worthwhile either. They just did a bunch of major changes to FFXI that caused alot of long time players to quit. On the bright side, it gave me the opportunity to get into Sacred 2.

Not sure if PS3 has the same weird HDD issues that 360 has on some games, but you might want to try deleting the cache on your harddrive if you can. I have one game that requires you to either format the HDD everytime you want to play or play an MP3 while loading the disc or it will come up as "unreadable disk." :D

Does PS3 allow you to copy games to the HDD like 360 does? I'd try that if it's possible.

Unfortunately, no, you cannot copy the entire game to the HDD on the PS3 (I suspect that part of it may be the fact that games can be HUGE (25-50gb) compared to the various HDD's offered at first). I really wish you could because it would reduce wear and tear on the bluray drive (that and I swapped out the 40gb HDD for a 250gb drive a month after I got it so I've got space for the games I play the most).

SO I GOT MY NEW Sacred 2 DISC IN THE MAIL AND... I HAVE THE SAME F---ING PROBLEM WITH A BRAND NEW DISC! ONLY Sacred 2 WILL NOT PLAY! Holy Hannah!FFFFFFFFFF

I fixed the problem... too bad I needed a new disc to realize what was going on. Somehow some way, the game data that was saved on the hard drive became corrupted. I deleted the 9000+ megs of data, reinstalled the game, problem solved.

So the only question that remains is.... anyone want to buy a new PS3 Sacred 2 disc? :)

Damn, I wish I had read this topic earlier! I had a similar problem and realized in a fairly similar manner that it was actually corrupt data rather than a faulty disk (luckily I was able to borrow a copy).