Finally going to do it.

Take out an old school calender, one that hangs up on the wall. The months really feel good when its passes by.

Chalk that one up to Schot

I feel taht every month that goes by is like something I possess, a treasure. Earned and worked hard for.

:P

gogo

I absolutely agree!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job Furian, I hope I can manage the same some day, some day soon. I hate being short of breath, I hate my nose being stuffy all the time, but most of all, I LOVE food, and want to taste it again in all its glory!

Five days smoke free and doing rather well in my opinion. I've noticed an increase in lung capacity, less frequent coughing (still working on getting rid of a cold from last week as well as not smoking). My sleep is a bit off, either I'm not needing as much, or I'm breathing better so that the sleep I do get has been better for me.

Whenever I've managed to quit for a while in the past, I find I get SOO much energy. Its depressing knowing that smoking saps me of strength.

edit: wow, awesome forum feature merged my double post!

Edited by Rusto

Haven't been around for a bit but just wanted to say great job Furian (and Schot and gogo). Been smoking most of my life here. Did all 3 of you just go 'cold turkey' or did you use anything like patches, gum or pills?

I've attempted to stop before but it's hard for me since I associate a cigarette with taking a break. The only time I stop working is to have one. I have Chantix waiting on me but wanted to get off all the other meds I'm on before giving it a try. Also cigs for me are sort of like a reward. Back in the Navy I actually stopped for 6 months, had no desire for a cig and thought I was over any craving.

After work I would go to the snack room in the barracks and get 2 beers and a pack of cigs. That was after every shift, every day for a couple years. Even after 6 months of not smoking old habits won out. I went to get a couple beers, went back to my room and realized I had somehow bought a pack of cigs without even realizing I had done it. After 6 months of not buying them ! I looked at them for awhile and figured I could have 'just one'. Whole pack was gone before the day was out :evil:

Biggest thing you have to do is change your lifestyle and avoid situations where you would normally have a cigarette. Like taking a nap or not going outside during breaks or walking somewhere where smoking isn't allowed. Again hard for me since I drive a lot and most work sites/jobs I do are basically outside. Been smoking since I was a kid, 30 years now

You guys might have inspired me to give it another go. I mean if Schot can do it, anyone can :) (just kidding)

It was cold turkey for me. And your right you gotta find something else to do instead of having the smoke. During our breaks at work I might still go outside for some fresh air but instead of lighting up I'll just keep my phone in hand and usually search DarkMatters for new posts. Or I don't take a break when I normally would have. And when I feel like taking a break or get that sudden urge I take a deep breath and find more work to do.

• 1 month later...

Hey hey I can Breath. Going good. This week I figured since I quit smoking, once a week I'll buy a lotto ticket instead. Never know, I just might recoup some of that money I smoked away.

Oh, and by the way thanks for asking. :sigh:

Been over a month since we had an update. how's it going?

I believe you already knew that answer eh :sigh:

But thanks for bringing this thread back for some updates!

Great to hear Furian that all is going well, hope some money comes your way with those lotto tickets :thumbsup:

Wow, this entire topic was unbelievably inspiring. I read all three pages because of it. Congrats on getting rid of the smoking addiction Furian and I hope people who read your story will try to do the same!

Been over a month since we had an update. how's it going?

I believe you already knew that answer eh :sigh:

But thanks for bringing this thread back for some updates!

Great to hear Furian that all is going well, hope some money comes your way with those lotto tickets :thumbsup:

lol Yeah, I was bored and it seems like a worth while conversation.

I think it was post #15 that really stuck in my head the most. Knowing that medically I was making changes to my body really helped.

Happy 2 Month Anniversary Furian. An accomplishment like this deserves much celebration. :drinks:

Beware of post quitting over-confidence. Several years ago I had quit and for a whole year I didn't smoke. Then one eve at a party and after a few drinks I ended up smoking one and then more and more at the party. The next day I was convinced I could be a "social smoker" having only one smoke a day. It didn't turn out as I had planned and by the end of that month I was buying packs again. It took me about 5 years after that to be able to quit again. Never again!

So just be careful. At times you may think to yourself that you could just have one. Sadly, we can't. It's a curse we ex-smokers must live with. The memory of the addiction...

• 4 months later...

Six Months gone by. So glad I quit smoking, don't regret a single moment of it. Thank you to everyone that helped me get through the first few months. :D

Edited by Furian67
  • 2 months later...

well Furian I got a couple questions for ya :D

I promised my daughter I'd stop for good on New Years, started a couple days late but now almost 5 days smoke-free. I know it's not much so far but omg I'm going nuts. I'm on the patch but there were so many things I subconsciously always had a smoke with. Waking up. Going for a drive...after eating etc etc. I find myself reaching for a cigarette almost non-stop. So far I'm winning, but my main question is this

I have been sneezing and coughing my brains out. It seems if I'm not coughing, I'm sneezing or vice versa. And I mean sneezing 40-50 times in a row. Did this happen to you and how long did it go on for? Not sure I can take another week of that. Give me some good news lol

I have been sneezing and coughing my brains out. It seems if I'm not coughing, I'm sneezing or vice versa. And I mean sneezing 40-50 times in a row. Did this happen to you and how long did it go on for? Not sure I can take another week of that. Give me some good news lol

You could think of it as sneezing/coughing the bad crap out?

I wouldn't know though, never having smoked/given it up before so can't actually answer your question.

Been smoking for almost 30 years so there's probably a lot of cleaning up to do in my lungs....Looking back I wish I had never started, just hope it at least subsides soon...I need my sleep :(