Finally going to do it.

Sneezing? Hmm Sorry on that one, no advice. as I didn't have a sneezing issue. As far as coughing yep I'm with ya. I was really bad before I quit. Ask Loco about it. But the Coughing subsided fairly soon. maybe two weeks it started getting noticeably better.

As far as the habit of smoking associated with other things, like driving, bored at work, after eating etc. for me I had to start doing something else instead. Like at work when I got bored, or didn't feel like doing something, I would have gone out for a smoke. Now I get a lot more work done.

As for the urge to smoke I had made it into a game, my body VS my brain. My body wanted that smoke "the urge" but my brain would fight it. Got to the point that I started laughing at myself, even talking to myself. "Oh hell no ya ain't going to win." I would tell my body this. Yep I got a few weird looks from coworkers till I explained what I was doing. After that they understood why I was giggling at myself. Don't worry it wears off after awhile. I don't have the urge or giggle at myself anymore.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went and bought some cinnamon flavored toothpicks so I'm hoping I can stick one of those in my mouth and give me something to do when I get the urge. The sneezing comes in bunches 5-15 at a time , probably 10-15 times a day. At least the last 2 days have been like that. I went and got some nasal products and hopefully it'll control it. I hate waking up sneezing, bit my tongue a few times already.

I think the hardest part will be work. I drive up to 4-6 hours a day going to/from job sites. My co-worker is a smoker, so these rides to job sites are going to be tough. Tried talking him into quitting too but he doesn't want to. And to ask him not to smoke for 2-4 hours is unreasonable. I wouldn't have done it when I was smoking if he had asked. So I hope these toothpicks work.

I believe in you Robb, that inner strength that got you through the last few years can get you through this too.

I started using a nasal flush recently. Awesome results. Its only warm water and saline. Cleans the nasal passages out nicely. If you bought something like Afrin that crap is evil. No matter what ya do, don't use that stuff. The rebound from it when it wears off is worse than the stuffy nose .

I finally get to join a club! This has been my lifelong dream!

I quit smoking about 1½ months ago, and to be all wierd and different... I don't feel any difference, but hell maybe I need to smoke again to gain some perspective? Just kidding

Im glad I did it though, not really worth it economy-wise~

Big woo-hoo-woop for me and all the other ones that like having fingers that aren't numb!

:drunkards:

I finally get to join a club! This has been my lifelong dream!

I quit smoking about 1½ months ago, and to be all wierd and different... I don't feel any difference, but hell maybe I need to smoke again to gain some perspective? Just kidding

Im glad I did it though, not really worth it economy-wise~

Big woo-hoo-woop for me and all the other ones that like having fingers that aren't numb!

:drunkards:

Excellent Simon, Great job on giving it up. Any insight on what you did for the first few weeks to help you on the way?

Way to go Knuckles and Simon! A very worthwhile endeavor indeed. :) You've both done very well. Just getting past the 3 day mark is quite something. While going over this topic I came across something I had said and I'd like to actually challenge my own comment. Speaking of talking to ones self eh Furian, lol.

It's a curse we ex-smokers must live with. The memory of the addiction...

When I posted that I was still in my doom and gloom phase. Or maybe mourning phase? For a very long time, many months, I was convinced that I would forever be burdened by the memory of how much I believed I needed to smoke and that the grip of addiction would haunt me at every glance of a cigarette. It's been about a year and two months since I quit and I'm very happy to report that the urge to smoke is now completely gone. Not even a hint. I often visit my neighbours of which 4 smoke and it doesn't bother me at all. Well... Except for the smell it leaves on my clothes. I can't believe what a stench it leaves on clothes?! All these years and I had no idea.

So when you guys who have quit get down about it and feel like you'll never be free just remember you will. It'll take time but eventually you'll be completely free from the addiction. For myself I think it took about 2 weeks for the worst of it to pass and for all traces of addiction, like those little mini urges, it took about 5 to 6 months. I remember because I was talking to gogo about it on the day I realized I stopped thinking about smoking altogether. It was a miracle, lol. I was just so relieved to finally know I could be completely free from it because I really believed I never would be.

Power to yahs!

Excellent Simon, Great job on giving it up. Any insight on what you did for the first few weeks to help you on the way?

Well I don't really have any advice, except don't hang out with other smokers for a while. It will ruin you and or drive you insane :P and we don't want that.

But I just decided I wasn't gonna smoke anymore and I just stopped, so just keep on fighting doods and I will try to do the same ;D

So when you guys who have quit get down about it and feel like you'll never be free just remember you will. It'll take time but eventually you'll be completely free from the addiction. For myself I think it took about 2 weeks for the worst of it to pass and for all traces of addiction, like those little mini urges, it took about 5 to 6 months. I remember because I was talking to gogo about it on the day I realized I stopped thinking about smoking altogether. It was a miracle, lol. I was just so relieved to finally know I could be completely free from it because I really believed I never would be.

Power to yahs!

Well said, and yeah I remember the fun excuses my mind made me pull, like I think sometimes I said.. "Well I don't need to stop smoking cus when my lungs give out, it will be year 2030-2040 and Ill buy some new lungs at Kwik-E-Mart."

You just gotta remember the little things that made you quit to keep you going.

Keep the work up!

:sweating:

(Sorry for the double post, not really mastered Multi Quote yet. Especially on 2 pages ;O!)

Well so far so good...been over a week and only one day I gave into the urge and 3 smokes. Realized what I was doing and threw the rest of the pack out the window while going down the highway (yes, I know littering, such a bad Knuckles). My co-worker understands to NEVER offer me a cig, which is what started this day off. The sneezing ended the day after I mentioned it in here, thank god. Wow that was annoying. No real bad probs yet except subconsciously reaching for one here and there. The patches are really wiping out the craving, now just need to get used to not having a cig with certain activities.

The cinnamon toothpicks help. It allows me to 'complete' the motion of having a cig in my mouth without actually having one. Still on "Step One' of the patches and already have another box of them for the next 2 weeks. Will hopefully go to step 2 after that. Just need to get all these 'cig routines' out of my system before I move to lesser dosage.

Good job, and yeah.. It can take a while before you realize that you do something like started smoking again, it can either be a reflex like being in a store and buying a pack then lighting one when u get out, I did that once... then threw it in the trash next to the exit, haha.

But good going and keep it up :D

Great effort Knuckles. I had to do the "throw the pack out the window motion" a few times until I truly decided to quit.

• 3 months later...

Hey hey, I did it! It's been one year smoke free and I feel great. I can breathe and am not choking or coughing to death eek.gif

Sense of smell has been so acute that I have to be careful working around certain coworkers. Actually had to ask one of the office ladies to step back a few feet as I could not concentrate on the task because she smelled so very good, I'm thinking its a conspiracy the ladies do to get guys to easily do their bidding. I just couldn't say no. Even if I had wanted to.

@Knuckles, how is your endeavor going?

Wow! It's been a year already? Well a big hearty congratz to you Chris. Good on yah for sticking with it. Not an easy thing to accomplish by any standard no doubt. Careful of the "1 Year overconfidence". In the past I tricked myself into believing I could be a social smoker after quitting for 1 year. I ended up smoking regularly again and took me about 5 more years before I was able to quit again.

Stay strong!

Ya had to ask huh ? :P

I was doing really good (on the patches) until I pulled a muscle in my back that kept me out of work for 2 weeks. The first week I could barely move and ran out of patches. So it was either drive to the pharmacy (1/2 hour trip) or go to the convenience store right across the street and get a pack of cigs. The cigs won :(

But trying again May 1st. This time I'm going on Chantix. Hopefully this time will work. Can't tell you how many times I have tried to stop in the past.

Congrats on being smoke-free for a year. As someone who is struggling with it I know how hard that accomplishment really is. Hopefully I can say the same thing at this time next year