What's THE hottest PC out there now

I used to think it was AlienWare, but I have the feeling it's getting old. I'm in one of those moods I guess. Wanna look at something fast, hot, seksi that can pretty much smoke anything I've looked at in the last two months.

What is it

:)

gogo

Laptop wise:

The new Alienware M17x's will still win... if you go all out and upgrade it through the roof with every trick it can provide. Of course this will cost you both your arms and both your legs, but that's the price for amazing.

There are others out there:

XoticPC

Gentechpc

both offer various Laptops with customization. (And ship to Canada, although make sure you use UPS Express (air service 1-2 day) and not UPS ground or you'll be paying huge customs fees incoming to Canada)

However the one in particular I've been looking at lately is the Asus G73Jh-A1, for the price it will outperform an Alienware although it can't quite reach the same peak if money is no object.

Pre-built or do it yourself?

The set-up that Knuckles put together is pretty awesome. Over-clocking would make his PC pretty unbelievable.

this pre-built system at Newegg looks pretty beefy. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883227246

And this review is current and looks like Alienware is still up top. http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming/

Alien Ware...still?

:pitcher:

Well, I went to have look... there are still nothing short of luscious. The XoticPC is new? Is it what's primed to take over Alienware's perch?

Ahhh, yes loco... I'd forgotten about Knuckles' super comp. Methinks a trip to main for lobster this time of year would come in deliciously handy

gogo

p.s. I'm honestly thinking that I may go for a lap top this year...but everytime I want one...I think of how much more I could get for the same price if I just give up being cool and being seen toting things around. Oh, who am I kidding :evil:

I love the word actually. One a the nastietst animals around in Greek mythology.

Got a link?

Don't tease!

:tease:

gogo

Whoops! there you go. their higher end system is called the Paladin XLC. I love that name too, very Fallout 3 Brotherhood of Steel sounding.

Dreeft, how does your computer handle Sacred 2? What settings do you play with?

No problems at all.

I'm not at home at the moment, but I think most of the settings are on Medium. I could definitely push it harder but I am trying to minimize unexpected issues.

Beware of getting something too hot since I don't know how well the new components handle thermal overheating. I know that Pentiums had a slowdown built into the processor in case the fan went down. The newer processors may or may not handle overheating well, so I'd recommend research. The same applies to graphic cards since the new ones draw a lot of power and give off heat too. Proper case ventilation is essential for the newer machines!

My work machine is down-clocked and runs with just 21 Watt. No moving parts: solid state disc, no fans, ....

I can't stand any noise (silent classical music is no noise) if I fight with complex maths.

So this one is just the opposite, and obviously the PCs are not build in germany. We have some laws which control radio wave emitting. And a PC which has open sides covered with glas won't pass I think.

I once had a Matrox Millenium (2D area, not 3D) graphics card bought second hand from a GI. It had very sharp graphics. But all people I knew who had the same card said that it was terrible unsharp. So we compared: the cards sold to germany had a frequency filter to pass the law. But a rectancle which would give a sharp dot on an old screen is a sum of sinus waves.

285px-Gibbs_phenomenon_10.png

And so some waves were filtered away. Mine was sold to a GI and was a model for the american market. So we removed the filters and did some aluminium paper behind the cards to block radiation, worked fine.

Having 5 kids I normally build my own PC's, hoping to forecast future developements to keep prices low. So normally not the fastest CPU, but rather more memory and a solid state disc. So I can exchange the CPU later when prices drop.

My last overclocking was in 1998 when I had no money for a new machine, overclocking a second hand Dual-Pentium Pro 180 to 333 with a peltier element and water cooling.

I once had a pocket calculator from Hewlett packard, a used HP-34. I liked it because the LED had an advantage over the LCD: If you worked in a group all the people could read the display. Once when I did matrix calculations my sister jumped in and cried: stop your stupid maths. I can't listen to the radio. The calculator did interfere with her favourite radio station :tease:

Edit:

485px-Aim65.JPG

The machine I learned coding: 4kilobyte RAM, LED display 1line with 20 characters, little thermo printer for longer listings, and an interface for a tape recorder as mass storage ;)

Edited by chattius
Yeah, I am sure there are some more really powerful systems but most don't put that much effort in looks. :)

The specs on hardware was pretty top of the line as well. plus with all that beautiful liquid cooling OC should be easy without to much heat.

but most don't put that much effort in looks. :)

Way back when when all comps were grey, ugly and looked like military issue, when it looked like we were all doomed to live a live of 1984 ...

Apple did

gogo

p.s. Directed by Ridley Scott too ^^

but most don't put that much effort in looks. :)

Way back when when all comps were grey, ugly and looked like military issue, when it looked like we were all doomed to live a live of 1984 ...

Apple did

gogo

p.s. Directed by Ridley Scott too ^^

To me that started with the iMac G3:

iMacG3.jpg

apple_imac_colors.jpg

Edited by Timotheus