Recently had a deep cleaning done. Always love getting shot in the gums. I mean, who wouldn't love that.

The numbing medicine couldn't help against sensitivity to cold; I am suddenly VERY sensitive to cold in the lower front teeth. The dentist is cleaning my teeth with some sort of dremmel tool that shoots a jet cold water while it is doing its thing. The dentist is wet sanding my teeth.

I can mask pain to a certain extent--it's a great talent to have really. But the medicine wears off too quickly. I don't want another shot so I do my slow breathing and try to forget the scraping and tearing going on in my mouth.

Good news is in 44 years I have had one cavity.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's taken me 8 hours to reinstall+update our family pc and restoring all files.

Blergh.

there is really no fast way to get that down. :) I've done it at least 2 dozen times over the last 10 years. and it still takes forever waiting for the install to get done, and now all the updates! geez

You know what really grinds my gears? People commenting all day long on how "Skinny" I am, but the second I comment on someone being "Fat" I am made out to be the bad guy... Double Standards, life's way of saying "You're not good enough".

I completely understand your frustration Hacksaw. I remember growing up, and even now actually, that the majority of people I've known have rarely understood skinny as being a hurtful word but for many of those who are skinny it can in fact be hurtful. I can say from my experience that being skinny and being called skinny feels exactly like the feeling I've heard heavy set folk describe when being called fat.

The common conception is that being skinny is being lucky and attractive when in reality it can be just as much a struggle as those who are far above their BMI. When reading a definition of skinny it is by no means a compliment or kind word at all.

I think the point here is that people of any shape should think carefully about how to use the word skinny and the reasons for using it. There are already dozens of discussions online about the effects of calling someone who is underweight skinny. None of which I've read imply the word skinny as being a compliment to an underweight person.

P.s.

On a final note the subject is one I can relate to personally so please if you decide to comment do so politely and diplomatically. Offensive posts will be removed. Please arrange your thoughts carefully.

Is skinny used the same way as anorexic? My online dictionary says:

magersüchtig - anorexic

mager,dünn -skinny

Here only calling someone magersüchtig would be 'insulting'. I try to avoid 'ins Fettnäpfchen treten', but the finer nuances of a language aren't found in a dictionary.

In old times people had a bowl with fat near the oven to keep it liquid. It was used to make shoes and boots watertight. If a guest was visiting at cold weather he was normally told to place down near the oven to warm up. If he was not knowing the house or not careful he may have stepped (treten) into the bowl with fat (Fettnäpfchen) and made the house wife angry who had to clean the mess up.

'Ins Fettnäpfchen treten' has now the meaning of making someone angry without knowing it.

'Kein Fettnäpfchen auslassen' (=hit the fat bowl everywhere and everytime) would be describing a very undiplomatic/careless person.

Dictionary say the english saying would be like:

put one's foot in one's mouth

to drop one clanger after another

I have a rant at last guys.

I have been using my computer with headphones since the day I bought it, so that it I can play it in the same room as my wife is watching television. I had never even connected the speakers until last week. Well, I found some music on Youtube that I wanted to share with my wife, so I finally connected the speakers and got silence. Tested the speakers and they were fine, software seemed fine, so since I paid extra for insurance and service cover, I telephoned the 'TechGuys'.

After I did some tests according to their instructions, they decided it must be a faulty socket and an engineer would come around and fix for me. It's only a 5 minute job. So a couple of days later the engineer turns up, tests the socket and confirms that it is faulty and says that since it is integral with the motherboard he will have to replace the whole thing but never fear, he had brought a new one just in case. So he takes out the old motherboard (breaking it in the process) and then his phone rings and he spends the next hour on the phone trying to solve someone elses problem!

Eventually he installs my new motherboard, boots up the computer to adjust the settings and discovers that is the wrong type of motherboard and it has an incompatible Bios, oops. (OOPS:)) My computer will now have to be sent to the workshop to be fixed. A courier will pick it up tomorrow and it may take up to a week.

So the next day I waited for the courier who never came. I phoned up the TechGuys helpline who told me that there was no record of a repair booking. However they would book it immediately and the courier will pick it up tomorrow. The next day the courier came and took my computer away, gave me a reference number and a phone number to keep track of it. After he was gone I read the small print and phoned up only to have confirmed.

"Please allow 28 days for return of items ......"

"We are unable to notify customers in advance of which day we wii deliver ...."

"If there is no-one at home to accept delivery, a card will be left with a telephone number that you can ring to arrange another delivery ......... this may take up to 14 days."

*%$£&*!

I am now computerless and am writing this using the internet chanel on my wife's Wii, using the controller to point an click each individual letter on a virtual keyboard. This one entry has taken nearly an hour to type. God, I miss my computer and it has only been 24 hours!

OMG, PODGIE!

when I finished reading your story.. can't tell how angry I got about that company and service guys you had to deal with !

as if it had happened to myself.. thank god it never did , so far..

impossible.. I really thought something like this just CAN'T ever happen, not all of it at the same time..

what a terrible nightmare.. you sure you didn't woke up afterwards and it was only a really bad dream eh? :devil:

it is just unbelievable how they dealt with your problems, only making it worse.. you sure this is a serious, respectable company?

just made me wonder.. I read about a software company in spain or somewhere, they knowingly cheated on their customers for decade(s), were implementing a hidden routine causing problems and faulty software in certain intervalls after a time,

so they could charge extra-money stopping by for a short but expensive 'on-site' service, 'repairing' what was never really 'broken'...

do you have 'legal costs insurance' ? in case you plan to sue those guys.. or some sort of 'consumer protection' ,

anyone you could tell your story to, and take some sort of legal actions..

unbelievable tseh... is it too rude and inadequate in this case if I'd just say

"what a douche"

..normally I wouldn't use such 'southpark' terminology ever, and I dont know it fits in here, but couldn't find any other in my online-dic for the german words I would use..

---------------------------------------------

btw, just had (late) lunch.. and remembered I will have to pay attention what I eat for another 3 long weeks, as I have 2 temporary dental fillings/inlays now:

I had 'partially impacted' wisdom teeth removed when I was 22. That meant the teeth weren't coming out right... not enough room in the jaw for all those teeth!

Now, I wish I'd had my regular teeth removed back there, and then let the wisdom teeth come out.. and then get them put in proper place. They'd've been healthy and not full of cavities (filled now with metal).

So: root canal. Strange that they didn't find that on the xrays... unless, they don't go xrays in Austria. Here, they xray your teeth once every 2 years.

Be glad you didn't have what happened to my Mom: When our 'new and greedy' dentist re-did all our (kids) fillings... he also re-did all Mom's. Mom really needed it. Really. He uncovered rot under her fillings... which were real old. Old fillings were always "temporary" 5 to 15 years. She'd had hers for like, 20 or 30. Imagine your dentist drilling and then suddenly your mouth is full of horrible rotten smell... and it's you!

*shudders!*

So: sympathy on the root canal. My metal teeth got replaced with Caps. 3 teeth...3 caps. Very painful when they put the new 'cap' on... it is done without anaesthetic. Yeow! Still, I've been told: Caps are less painful than root canals!

I have a similar problem with my 2 wisdom teeth (lowe jaw).. there isn't enough room, so they can't 'rise' .

if I haven't had to wear 'braces' for years when I was a kid, from age 7 to 13 or so - it would be even worse:

before the initial start of the 'teeth adjustment treatment' (sry for the lack of proper medical terms),

I had what you know from looking into a mouth of a shark.. teeth of lower jaw were coming out in 2 rows almost, partially ! was a real mess.

they installed all different types of stuff, retainers, lip bumper, brackets.. horrible. some looked like a skid chain, and I bet I would have been a pretty good lightning rod.. :P

anyways.. it got a lot better, in the end you couldnt notice a thing, perfect healthy, well aligned teeth..

a few years later, horror started again, lower jaw started to defom again ...

turned out it was because the doc ending therapy too early, and myself not going to regular routine-checks often enough..

and the reason, that my wisdom teeth started to (try to) move - which they almost couldnt,

but enough so that I almost ended up with some sort of 'crossbite' ..lower left canine tooth and surrounding teeth 'shifted' in location and are almost in front of upper teeth which they shouldn't .

reason why I haven't started treatment again are of financial nature for some part ofc. insurance paid for first treatment, doubt I'd see any money for a second one, since until now it's almost only cosmetical, but thats subject to change.

most important reason is I am not sure what kind of strategy would be best.. ?

they would have either to pull both wisdom teeth which is a difficult or at least partially risky OP,

since the 2 teeth are stuck more than half inside my 'jaw bone', in an angular position - and close to important nerves,

which could be damaged if something goes wrong. (could result in numbness, anacousia, or even worse - palsy/paralysis)

• if they don't pull the lower wisdom teeth, they'd have to either pull another tooth (or teeth),
  • or abrasion of adamantine on almost all neck of teeth.. bad thing imho, my other dentist said he wouldnt recommend it..

btw, he did xray my teeth - during first session, and 2nd session.

1st time I saw him, he started drilling - didnt knew it would be so deep, didnt looked like that,

also although I did have some strange 'feelings' after cold/hot meals or air/liquid, but no real 'pain'

my health insurance covers 2 (dental) panorama xrays of all teeth per 'half-year' or so,

single xrays are different, other regions than teeth also other rules.

xrays however aren't taken 'generally' (by my doc at least),

and also at least not on simple routine-checks, which are recommended to be done twice a year (here).

'white' or better say 'natural' colored, 'plastic' dental fillings (which I prefer) are only covered by insurance if they affect the front teeth which you can see when you talk or laugh for example.

when it comes to 'premolare/molare teeth' like the usual ones you often use to 'chew' , the fillings have a slightly different color, not exactly the same like the rest of the remaining tooth.

Edited by Rotluchs
"What a douche"

Rotluch

I admit to using rather colourful language, for quite an extended period of time. The insurance is with the shop I bought the computer from, which is part of an extensive national chain of electrical retailers.

OT:

there's something that keeps bugging me: this sentence from above:

" If I haven't had to wear 'braces' for years when I was a kid [..] it would be even worse "

could someone correct and rephrase this for me,

with focus on the right tenses /grammar for this type of IF-clauses / Conditional Type I./II. ? (or how to avoid them altogether)

€: this applies for the following statement as well, as it's also full of IF-clauses / and conditionals I threw in..

-------------------------------

I understand in it's current stage, this might sound horrible to any native speaker (for example) .. :)

seriously, I'm always trying hard to formulate and articulate myself in a proper way,

- meaning I try to avoid heavy usage of too complex syntax which I know would bring me into 'trouble' sometimes.

keeping it clean and simple - or, to be more 'precise' - maintain a certain way of sententiousness or 'pithy of a comment' -

is very hard for me every now and then it seems^^.

the problem is, I'm thinking too difficult/complex and can't express myself the same eloquent way I might be capable of

if I were about to have a quality conversation in my native language (so I have been TOLD, it's NOT a thought I came up with first *blush* ;) )

but sometimes the outcome whenever I start thinking about a 'sentence construction' that somehow 'sounds' wrong even to me -

then by editing my posts I even make it worse - I start to confuse myself - and it's even less 'legible' after such 'autocorrection' attempts.

for normal 'spelling mistakes' any auto spelling online-translator might help prior/during posting when it comes to proper orthography -

but syntax/grammar is a completely different pair of shoes..

I hope you're compassionate .. in respect thereof - induldge me ... :)

edit: edited, again - doh.

Edited by Rotluchs
OT:

there's something that keeps bugging me: this sentence from above:

" If I haven't had to wear 'braces' for years when I was a kid [..] it would be even worse "

could someone correct and rephrase this for me,

with focus on the right tenses /grammar for this type of IF-clauses / Conditional Type I./II. ? (or how to avoid them altogether)

€: this applies for the following statement as well, as it's also full of IF-clauses / and conditionals I threw in..

-------------------------------

I understand in it's current stage, this might sound horrible to any native speaker (for example) .. :Just_Cuz_21:

seriously, I'm always trying hard to formulate and articulate myself in a proper way,

- meaning I try to avoid heavy usage of too complex syntax which I know would bring me into 'trouble' sometimes.

keeping it clean and simple - or, to be more 'precise' - maintain a certain way of sententiousness or 'pithy of a comment' -

is very hard for me every now and then it seems^^.

the problem is, I'm thinking too difficult/complex and can't express myself the same eloquent way I might be capable of

if I were about to have a quality conversation in my native language (so I have been TOLD, it's NOT a thought I came up with first *blush* :( )

but sometimes the outcome whenever I start thinking about a 'sentence construction' that somehow 'sounds' wrong even to me -

then by editing my posts I even make it worse - I start to confuse myself - and it's even less 'legible' after such 'autocorrection' attempts.

for normal 'spelling mistakes' any auto spelling online-translator might help prior/during posting when it comes to proper orthography -

but syntax/grammar is a completely different pair of shoes..

I hope you're compassionate .. in respect thereof - induldge me ... :P

edit: edited, again - doh.

For the following:

if I haven't had to wear 'braces' for years when I was a kid, from age 7 to 13 or so - it would be even worse

The simplest change I would make would be to say:

if I hadn't had to wear 'braces' for years when I was a kid, from age 7 to 13 or so, it would be even worse

Replacing the haven't (have not) with hadn't (had not) and the " - " with a ", "

Hope thats what you were after.

Edited by Dragon Brother

I hate it when people try to kill me with their car ...

Yesterday evening I was transporting some boards and paint from a do-it-yourself-market to our house with my Unimog. When driving home there was a BMW of the 6xx type with a defect on the country road blocking the street. I asked the driver if I could help and he said it would be nice if I could tow him to the next mechanic. I took my tow-bar, tow rod or however it is called and attached it to my right rear and his right front. I asked him if he would know how to stear his car behind the towing unimog and he said yes. So I started towing, but to my surprise he steared to the left as if he was trying to overtake. The towing rod now no longer was building a straight line between the 2 cars but running very diagonal. The rod bended and nearly broke and the weight of his car nearly brought my Unimog into danger leaving the road into a dive downhill. I stopped and asked him what the hell he was doing. And he said he learned at driving school that he should drive a bit set to the left behind the towing car.

I was shocked that such an idiotic behaviour was taught at a driving school. It may be okay on broad roads. But on small country roads you will be in the track of the opposite direction this way. And also right rear/right front connection demands that the towed car follows in line else the rod runs diagonal and the towing car can't brake both cars.

Towing as it was taught to him

170px-AbschleppenSVG.svg.png

But my Unimog has the rear towing hook right, and the track was barley wide enough for a car.

Hope I translated this correct into towing rod

36.jpg

@ Ashley : oh thank you very much, that's it I guess.. I knew there was something wrong with the grammar/tense , but just couldn't see it/'grasp' it ;)

(let's see if I can find my old english-course book and do some exercises..)

@ chattius: Ach du lieber Himmel! OMG...

thank god nothing really bad or worse happened.. unbelievable ? that sounds very dangerous..

ofc you would get into trouble, if he would drive like this..

that's why I love cars with as few 'electronics' as possible..

first of all if something breaks down chances are you can repair it yourself 'on site',

and maybe the 'brake servo unit' (is it called like this?) and ABS would have still been functional,

so no need for a tow bar, maybe a towrope would have been enough then.. ?

but I'm not much of an expert, hope to get it right with my 'common sense' for this matter then..

just to be double-save I might have just called a tow-truck

btw I loove your Unimog :) do you have some more pictures of yours, or a link to a similar model you drive?

I can only dream of owning one myself one day too...

for now my father and I share a 'custom-modded' VW T4 Synchro for our Sahara-Touring.. this year unfortunately we had to change the entire gear box, as well as several other things..

we hope to get ready somewhere shortly after the 'school summer holidays' will start here in Austria..

(bus just came back from repairs yesterday, but the workers botched something up, so we have to make sure they'll fix it - without charging again ofc.)

if we just had enough space at home and a lifting-ramp or some sort of 'repair bay'..

what do you call this special type of garage in english, where you just drive in and the car remains @ groundlvl.. while there's a small gap/duct/pit in between?

like this one:

Grube04.JPG

..too bad, we won't be able to build in the Turbocharger for this tour it would be too much delay; we found a cheap used one in good condition @ ebay recently :)

for this season, we plan on driving all the way down, to Syria & Jordan , for ~2 months total (July+August) ...

I'm not sure if I can make it this time (because of my work)..

but at least I help assisting in the repairs every now and then, if I can spare some free time.

my dad's wife ofc is very concerned about my fathers well-being, she sure doesn't want him to go alone... womenfolks..^^ but you know what she's right :)

I like this site for sharing tips and stories about desert-expeditions/touring :

http://www.wuestenschiff.de/

I prefer towing rods on our country roads. Streets are curvy through forests on hills and you can't see very far into the next curve. So its better with a rod and having the towing car- with its better sight- do all the braking. But to do this the cars have to be inline.

Not calling a towing truck: A towing truck will need 20 minutes from town and in this time a nice traffic jam would have blocked the road and preventing the truck to arrive - only road passing the valley. And it is a narrow one, not much place to maneuvre. I had to drive half into the uphill bushes to pass the BMW.

For the Unimogs:

private owned:

one U401 (1952, early open roof pickup)

one U406 (used this to tow the BMW, 1965, double-cabin pickup, swiss army knife: crane with bush cutter, snow plow, firewood cutter, graw mewer, ... all attachable)

owned by earl for work with wood but I am allowed to use it: one U500 (2006, can tow 10 tons of trunks in heavy terrain)

owned by local volunteer firefighters: U20 (2010, brandnew, got this when authorities recognized that building 4 tracks on a secondary might be a good idea but the volunteer firefighters now have to use farm roads to reach the secondary in case of accidents)

The double cabin of the 406 looks like the one in the video. My 406 is probably 10 years olders than the one in the video. It is our swiss-army knife working horse. Cleaning roads from bushes and high gras, snow plow, making fire wood into handy pieces, ... lots of gadgets you can attach. Got it with all gadgets at a sell out of a bankrupt company. Many of them were rebuilt for safari and extreme driving. Our is still original. But the original is allready hard to beat:

The U20 is unimog is quite new. For a unimog fan the front looks ugly. The Mercedes page has a video of a U20 build for fighting forest fires. The one of our local firefighters is nearly identical.

Commercial from Mercedes of the U20 firefightertruck - Couldn't find a You-Tube video

*Drools*

..we saw some Unimogs last year in Tunisia as well, they're pretty popular amongst others would be a nice platform to build on...

for the bigger trucks, a lot of MAN or, also interesting, old Magirus-Deutz..

(there's one even near our town for sale, but it's still just too expensive for us at the moment :sigh: )

ofc here in Austria, you'll also see a lot of 'Puch G' (Mercedes G) driving around.. commonly owned by 'Österreichisches Bundesheer' and the 'Feuerwehr'

800px-PuchG.JPG

also in use were the Haflinger , named after a horse-breed ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haflinger

Haflinger1967.jpg

(that numberplate on this Haflinger refers to my home-town, it's KL ( Klagenfurt Land ).. maybe I've even seen this particular one :) )

as well as the Pinzgauer's (named after cattle), which you can still see...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_Hig...Terrain_Vehicle

300px-Pinzgauer_High_Mobility_All-Terrain_Vehicle_by_Nick.JPG

Edited by Rotluchs

How I loathe you Sociology! At 18 years old, I had to write about the societal implications of marriage, infertility, and having a child later in one's life in the United States :twitch: . I'm afraid my college studies are taking me far beyond my practical comprehension of the world around me. Also, I'm extremely tired because it's 2 AM in the morning. I'm going to need a good dark chocolate mocha when I wake up, especially after that failed attempt at grasping the complexity of marriage+or-child. :)

If anybody remembers my rant about how the TechGuys messedup my computer (Earlier in this section). There is a follow-up to the story.

I rang them up today to find out what was happening with my computer and was told that the new motherboard had not arrived yet and to call them again on Monday. Two hours later a courier arrived at my door with my computer. OK, what the heck I thought, I am glad to get it back. So I connected everything and switched it on, only to find that not only had it not been fixed, there was even more wrong with it! I rang them up again to complain and was told that as far as they were concerned it was fixed and recommended that I wipe the harddrive and do a clean install of Windows, which should fix any minor glitches.

Not at all a happy bunny, I boxed up the computer and took it to the store that I bought it from and demanded to see the manager, who took it to their instore tech guys to see what was going on. After about an hour of tests, they found that yet another motherboard had been installed, but was still not the correct one and was incapable of controlling the system's hardware. The bios was incompatable and no attempt had been made to even set it up correctly. Also, the speaker and headphone sockets had not been connected up at all.

The manager appologised to me profusely, but said they could not fixit in-store and guess what? It had to be sent back to the workshop again! This time they get it right or my money back and she would see to it personally.

I give fair warning to anyone who considers buying anything from this store group (Dixons, Currys, PC World and Currys Digital), The staff in the local stores can be absolutely brilliant, but the 'Techguys' technical support (which you pay extra for) is really terrible. I would never use them again and I will advise everyone else to avoid them like the plague! :D

Edited by podgie_bear

I feel your pain podgie. My worst computer experience has been with the GeekSquad. I'm sure everyone knows who they are, but just in case; they're a company that sets itself up inside the Best Buy store chain, and are supposed to be the experts when it comes to setting up, or fixing electronics. Well, when our harddrive was infected with a virus, we brought it to the local Best Buy, and gave it to GeekSquad to look over. They said it would take 2 hours for their diagnostic and then they would tell us what needed to be fixed. After waiting the 2 hours, we returned to see how much it would cost to fix the virus. The bill came to an outrageous $200 to fix one virus! I had already identified where the virus was on the CP but could not seem to delete it. Are you trying to tell me that it costs $200 to delete something? Balony, they just wanted my money :gun2:

So after paying the $200 we were told to return in 3 days. When we next arrived to pick up the computer 3 days later, we were happily handed the tower and told everything was fixed. Upon plugging in the system and booting it up, I noticed that the exact same virus was on the computer still! At this point I was absolutely furious and was ready to explode :D So I brought it back and complained about how they hadn't done squat and had robbed me of $200. They hastily agreed to take the computer in and fix it for free this time. I was told to come back in 2 days this time.

Coming back 2 days later, as I was told to, I was informed that the system was not ready and to come back tomorrow. Once again, I waited another day and showed back up at the time they told me. I was then told that the computer was nearly ready and that we could pick it up later that night. Arriving at the store, I was given the tower (again) and this time I asked for the specs and information about what they did to my system. At home as I was reading the report, I noticed one thing that stood out against everything else: Erased system Harddrive

Erased system Harddrive?!? I could have done that for free, not for $200! #$@%! Anyways, I was very angry to say the least and I recommend for people not to support crooks like GeekSquad. Now back to my NEW computer... :D

Edited by ryanrocker1217

Ouch. I heard someone in my family paid Geek Squad $800 to set up their new system and create a system backup disc. The idea of what Geek Squad does is noble, but for what they charge they must be condemned to the pillory. I mean, what they did was just follow the on-screen instructions and then set up the free trial of Norton Antivirus (Oh how I despise thee Norton) that were already pre-installed on the system. Speaking of wiping out hard drives...my laptop is in need of a wipe, but I can't afford an external hard drive to back anything up right now. :D

I feel your pain podgie. My worst computer experience has been with the GeekSquad. ...

[/b]Erased system Harddrive?!? I could have done that for free, not for $200! #$@%! Anyways, I was very angry to say the least and I recommend for people not to support crooks like GeekSquad. Now back to my NEW computer... :)

Yipes! What they did for you is nasty! Not helpful. And... BAD. (lame).

I'd like to submit that viruses these days are getting more and more sophisticated. Two or three years ago someone demonstrated at Black Hat that even wiping the hard drive might not be good enough to get rid of a virus... it can live in the BIOS... so just booting the system could potentially (one day) re-infect the system. I hope we're not there yet! That will be a scary day indeed.

These tales are warning to us all to take copies of cherish data: Sacred info (guides, pix, screen caps of chats with friends) and CHARACTER and Save games--and put them on another media (USB drives--which by the way are the preferred means of infecting systems these days)--or burn to a CD or DVD (or in the near future: a blu-ray disc {will that be brD?}).

Backing up data is important.

worst 'virus' on my PC turned out to be my new Indilinx SSD, with any firmware I tried before v. 1916 came out..

finally, it seems pretty stable , with auto-garbage collection and Trim-Support

got data-corruption out of nowhere before, and one time, Win7 wouldn't even install..

then, SuperTalent released a new firmware 17xx that they got from indilinx , and said it would fix most of the problems..

what they didnt mention, until it was too late, was that it's been an UNSTABLE BETA..

... after more and more people having even worse troubles with that particular one,

they finally realised and changed the release notes plus a special warning about it's beta status on their download site..

that was 1-2 weeks later, too late for some users already..

17xx could cause corrupt data as well,

and 18xx had a serious wear-leveling bug,

leading to drastically perfomance decrease , almost freezing up your PC..

yeah well, that happens if you're eager to buy the newest 'Tech' stuff for your PC...

it will take another few years until SSD's will be mature enough, and most important - become cheaper..

but atm it doesn't look like prices for flash storage hardware is going to be reduced, they can't even keep up with the market-demands atm..

(or, they say so.. maybe holding back on purpose)

Computer-PC bring-in customer services... ...deceptive practices in some cases.. almost criminal..?

yes indeed, I believe I could really say that.. or at least very very ruthless/unethical..

it's those PC-'repair' workes you have your machine to send in for, and some car-repair shops...

dubious, how much money they charge for working-time spend doing less than nothing.

I feel with you guys,

as not everyone has the time or is willing to 'do-it-yourself' ...

I for one try to do as much on my own, however sometimes I have to 'sacrifice' a lot of free-time then..

but for me, at least buying PC components and building up machines is like 'playing with LEGO-bricks' :) its fun to do so..

(also I couldn't efford sending in my families or friends PC's, it costs too much time and money)

basic 'setting up' of the OS/hardware here in austria costs like 150 Euros in some shops.

OS alone, if it's 'cheap' ... 45 €

virus scan/install ... 25 €

you know what they do? throwing in the next-best unattended install CD/DVD, and leave your PC to it.. in total, they have like 5 minutes of work, maybe hitting a few buttons every now and then,

for the rest of the time they do whatever they want to, or have to do.. but not on or for your PC, rest assured. dont know if this is general practice, but I witnessed it many times, and heard it from others as well.

these are cruel companies sometimes :)

Edited by Rotluchs

I hate newspapers and copying property damage from police reports.

Happened yesterday:

A Hayabusa motorbike drove into a roe deer. The roe was whirled into the forest and the bike stopped. Driver parked the bike and was collapsing. Luckily a young girl with a bicycle witnessed it and called the firefighters (our readiness station in this case who coordinated medical rescue, clean up and technical help). A horn splinter pierced through his leather protection gear and injured a leg arteria, undetected by the girl. It was only a small, easily overlooked, hole in the trousers. The blood was staying inside the overall.

When our readiness troup arrived they called for a helicopter because he was nearly blood out already.

This morning I opened the newpaper to read for more information and I read:

Motorbike hitting roe. Driver in coma fighting for life. Roe was found by animal friends and had a broken leg. It got a surgery at the local animal home. You can spend money for the animal home under xxxx. Police report claimed property damage around 200 euro.

I find it always utter tasteless when a newspaper mentions minimal material damage when people die or are severely injured.

Edited by chattius
I find it always utter tasteless when a newspaper mentions minimal material damage when people die or are severely injured.

I too find it always utter tasteless when the media is (most of the time) only making money by reporting about people that die or are severely injured, or suffer in any other way, as well :)

sometimes I also notice a certain lack of piety and respect for the victims and their family,

of some reporters and their 'news greed' for example, just to bring the news a bit earlier and in a more 'shocking' way then their competition,

when interviewing people after any sort of catastrophy, unlucky event, whatever..

Edited by Rotluchs

My rant goes out to.... Blink 182.

Where do I start... Blink 182 is one of the most popular bands out there, but has anyone read in to what they are singing about? This is a bunch of 35+ year old men singing about running away from home and not fitting in at school and stuff. I think it's time to pass the torch to another band and let them take over, one that actually relate to being young and not fitting in and what ever other childish things these full grown men sing about.