What I have problems with is young children who scream at the top of their lungs in the store when they are not allowed to get what they want. This has got to be in the top 10 most obnoxious things anyone can do. And another thing that really pisses me off is when people chew with their mouths open. I mean C'MON! what the heck?! Are you that much of a slack-jawed imbecile that you cannot chew with your mouth closed like a normal civilized human being?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday we had an emergency call arriving at volunteer fire fighters. A young couple made a canoo tour and did a picnic at a field along the river. And then the girl collapsed. Her arms and legs full of blisters. They said that they walked through some high bushes or grass. A search from the river showed that it was Giant Hogweed.

Seems people from cities don't know how giant hogweed looks or how dangerous it can be. It has a poison which reduces the ability of the skin to fight sunlight.

I guess they were too young for the song Genesis did in 1971 warning that the giant hogweed will overtake the world:

Today we have to return with protective gear to dig the damn plants out and burn them. Cuttinhg allone is not enough, they can build new seed close to the roots. Video of how to fight giant hogweed and how an arm looks which was burned by it.

Edited by chattius

That sounds really terrible chattius :s

and @ Lord Extravaganda: I really hate that too, but in some cultures it is not in-appropriate (my GF's grandmother eats that way... talks a lot with her mouth full as well lol)

Edited by Timotheus

@chattius: That's one helluva annoying plant... We do have troubles with some variants here too. Really hard to get rid of, and quite toxic...

Poor girl, those blisters are bound to be really painful. Resembling sunburns of quite a degree. And to think that some brought it here as an ornamental plant. dang. >_<

@Lord Extravaganda: Some of the things I really hate too. Those damn pests crying their brains out when not gettin what they want. Ugh... On the top ten list of my hated things too.

@Timo: Really? I couldn't too that myself, really. Must be punded to the spine. :D Like with no putting your elbows on table when eating. Though I do that when I'm alone. Guess it's all about appearances.

My kids start that crap in the store and Captain Backhand is called right away!

Actually, only one of my kids is into those sorts of public displays and once she gets going it can be difficult to deal with her. . .for everyone else. All I have to do is make her laugh and she is back to normal.

Horrible computer stories! I have a friend at work who was once a tech for Best Buy--the stories he tells me!

@Lord Extravaganda:

When I visited my brother's family in Japan... I was coached by my brother to make sounds during meals. His wife is Chinese, and she expects people to make sounds while they eat. It is eerie to her to be around people who eat silently. The Japanese also make sounds when they eat.

I tried really hard to make sounds... but my ingrained training from Canada is the default (silent, mouth closed while chewing) manner of eating. So, I let my brother down, and made my sister-in-law uncomfortable.

It's all in how you were trained as to what is polite.

Edit: sorry Frost we can't allow discussion of politics of any kind

Edited by locolagarto
Edit: sorry Frost we can't allow discussion of politics of any kind

Warum rülpset und furzet Ihr nicht, hat es Euch nicht geschmecket ? -Martin Luther

Why you don't burp and fart, wasn't it tasty?

So 500 years ago europeans had the same good behaviour as the chinese nowadays. There is the theory that the invention of spoons made silent eating acceptable. Also expensive clothes (satin instead linnen) were to expensive to clean your fingers on them.

One my house rules is: Don't speak with a full mouth.

Mosquitos:

We don't suffer from them, no wet land around. I hate 'Regenbremsen'. Bremse is german for horse-fly and Regen is rain. In difference to the bigger horseflies which you can hear metres away this little beast comes in silently, most active at rain and thunderstorms. Therefor the name. In difference to a mosquito which stings, horse-flies bite and rip flesh apart, more painful.

800px-Haematopota-pluvialis-06-VII-2007-05.jpg

@Frost: Heh, I guess I'd managed that, afterall Japan is one of my great passions. Breaking through my steeled upringing. :heart:

@chattius: Yup. Though we usually joke around with 'specially burping when among close friends. Otherwise it's all about appearances.

And mosquitos; I really truly, even madly, hate 'em... At my parent's place there are tons of 'em cause it's in the middle of forest. And seeing I'm quite allergic to them, it's not nice. Same with the horseflies too. Especially when it's been as warm it is now. Those beasts really take quite a bite when they hit successfully. One other critter I hate is black fly. They're smaller than mosquitoes, but as with horseflies, they bite too. And it can be really painful. Also, it's hard to hear them if there's any other noice. They're like small stealth planes on a raid...

Summer's such a wonderful time, really. >_<

A two for one:

I'm driving the back roads and suddenly realize that there is a fire truck coming up fast, but on the wrong side of the road. I quickly find the right shoulder as does most everyone else.

But there is a wolf amongst the sheep.

One driver does not pull over--does not stop. She slows down until the emergency vehicle passes and then floors it before most of us can react. We were driving down a one-lane highway and she, this wonderful opportunist, uses our need to obey the laws to pass us.

Later on that same drive, I'm cooking along at 70 mph and a rather large truck coming the opposite direction decides that he needs a bit of my lane. I do not alter my course. Oh really? he says(at least that is what I imagined he said). He takes a bit more of my lane. When we met, he was close enough to swap paint, though we did not. One look in my rear view mirror showed that those behind me shifted to the right.

What can I say, I had a headache and was feeling belligerent.

@Timo. Wow, there are just so many. Computers ruined do to techs pretending to know what they were doing. I'll have to hit him up today for specific stories.

Mosquitos:

We don't suffer from them, no wet land around. I hate 'Regenbremsen'. Bremse is german for horse-fly and Regen is rain. In difference to the bigger horseflies which you can hear metres away this little beast comes in silently, most active at rain and thunderstorms. Therefor the name. In difference to a mosquito which stings, horse-flies bite and rip flesh apart, more painful.

We have flies like that too. Not here in the city, but up by the big lake. We have deer flies and horse flies... I think named because of their chosen prey. That--of course, doesn't stop them from using us when we hit the beach.

My policy with flies and mosquitoes is simple: kill them when they come near. If you miss, well. Hunt them. Kill them, and you're at peace. The biting flies are waaaay smarter than the mosquitoes and they flee, often making it away from me. If you catch a mossie in your hand, shake your hand, and open it... it will be so disoriented you can throw it to the ground and squish it... or just use your finger... :heart:

Black flies: I've been told about, but not experienced black flies. I've heard that road trips become perilous during black fly season. In Canada, we have highways that are not twinned. That is: there is oncoming traffic on most of our long highways. The area between Manitoba and Ontario north of the Great Lakes is such an area. It is also boggy. Which means lots of bugs in summer/fall. The black flies can drive the moose crazy... A moose is larger (taller at least) than most cars... If they're crazy from horse flies... well. It makes the roads dangerous for drivers. My friend from Thunder Bay is very wary when driving during Black Fly Season.

Here where I live: I'm thankful we don't have black flies to compliment the mossies.

Edited by FrostElfGuard
  • 2 weeks later...

I cannot stand constant Facebook updates.

So you're wondering about what to eat for lunch? *Who cares*

Should you wear the black dress with the red shoes or the red dress with the black shoes? *Who cares*

So and so really shouldn't have said that awful thing about so and so? *Who cares*

You think you might be going out tonight and should you pash that dark stranger who commented on your tush? *Who gives a ****

I don't understand how you can even have a life when all you do is check out (mostly strangers) who seriously CANNOT have a life considering their only activities exist on a social site!

At least gaming is honest. I don't pretend I'm saving the world, doing anything other than gaming.

I don't pause my game in the middle of a really exciting/tense bit to rush over to the computer and type:

Me: "OMG. This game is like, so intense, right now..."

Random F'er: "Like, no way, are you for real?"

Me: "For sure. I just like, don't know if I can handle it."

Random F'er: "Be strong dude, be strong"

Me: "GAAAAWWWWD! Should I make a coffee to destress? If so, should I have one sugar or two? Or maybe one of those soy chai lattes."

Random F'er: "Oh my golly gosh. Have you smelt the new SJP scent. It's to die for"

I don't pause my game in the middle of a really exciting/tense bit to rush over to the computer and type:

Me: "GAAAAWWWWD! Should I make a coffee to destress? If so, should I have one sugar or two? Or maybe one of those soy chai lattes."

Random F'er: "Oh my golly gosh. Have you smelt the new SJP scent. It's to die for"

Haha, your killing me here! :paladin:

Should you wear the black dress with the red shoes or the red dress with the black shoes? *Who cares*

So and so really shouldn't have said that awful thing about so and so? *Who cares*

You think you might be going out tonight and should you pash that dark stranger who commented on your tush? *Who gives a ****

I don't understand how you can even have a life when all you do is check out (mostly strangers) who seriously CANNOT have a life considering their only activities exist on a social site!

At least gaming is honest. I don't pretend I'm saving the world, doing anything other than gaming.

Bravo!

L...O...L

Again, welcome to DarkMatters, this laugh just burst out, I needed it, thank you~!

:paladin:

gogo

Bravo!

L...O...L

Again, welcome to DarkMatters, this laugh just burst out, I needed it, thank you~!

:ninjastar:

gogo

Absolutely true. Totally agree.

Must have missed that one, but yes, I definitely agree with you, some of the things people post on facebook is just insane.

Never used facebook or its german equivalents studivz or schülervz.

All these programs started with a good idea, but then the creators smelled the money which big companies will pay for the information they can win from the stored data and suddenly you can't delete your own data, pictures anymore.

I think I'm getting sick with the flu :D

Add to that a heap of work to do and a wedding to plan, not fun!

Hope you get feeling better buddy.

Wedding plans? Are you tieing the knot? Hey hey consider the package an early wedding present :bounce:

Geisterfahrer !

4 yesterday, 3 today, and everytime the radio program is interupted and a message boradcasted which translates to:

"Attention all drivers on the A xx, there's a car heading in the wrong direction, please stay on the right-hand lane and do not overtake"

Think it are mainly people driving to vacances and which are not used to autobahns. Geisterfahrer would translate as ghost driver. You are warned about them all the time, but you never see them. And when you see them you are luckily if you are not transformed into a ghost. Don't know who invented the word Geisterfahrer, but it fits.

Is there an english name for them? dict.leo.org says:

motorist driving against the traffic on motorways der Geisterfahrer

Edited by chattius
I think I'm getting sick with the flu :D

Add to that a heap of work to do and a wedding to plan, not fun!

Hope you get feeling better buddy.

Wedding plans? Are you tieing the knot? Hey hey consider the package an early wedding present :4rofl:

Thanks man, I'm feeling better already.

Yeh, wedding is at the end of October so it's getting to the pointy end of the planning process (where everyone wants my money).

Much thanks for the gift! I will be getting her to cut it out for me so it's a great shared present :)

Geisterfahrer !

4 yesterday, 3 today, and everytime the radio program is interupted and a message boradcasted which translates to:

"Attention all drivers on the A xx, there's a car heading in the wrong direction, please stay on the right-hand lane and do not overtake"

Think it are mainly people driving to vacances and which are not used to autobahns. Geisterfahrer would translate as ghost driver. You are warned about them all the time, but you never see them. And when you see them you are luckily if you are not transformed into a ghost. Don't know who invented the word Geisterfahrer, but it fits.

Is there an english name for them? dict.leo.org says:

motorist driving against the traffic on motorways der Geisterfahrer

I believe the English name for them is Darwins. That is: People who are so stupid we don't want them to breed.

I saw a Geisterfahrer when I was in China. It was near the Great Wall. The Chinese built a super highway to the restored section of the wall (most is in ruins--harvested for rock to make houses from). It's divided, multi-lane.

When you leave the Great Wall, it is not immediately obvious which way you should go... and so sometimes people choose the wrong road. The divided highway splits around a mountain and people might get confused...

Anyway, whoever this was was driving at full highway speed down the wrong way... what is scary is that there is a tunnel soon after that point...so... no where to go if people aren't in the right hand lane to begin with.

Yipes!