Karate Kid

Went to the movies Friday night. We went to see Jacky Chan and little Smith in Karate Kid.

I am a huge Chan fan, and I have hope that Will Smith's kid will be as big as his father. But I have to say that this one was a bit of a let down.

First of all, it appears that they borrowed the script from the the original and changed up certain parts.

In the first, Daniel learned basic moves by sanding floors, painting fences, and waxing cars. Corny, but it did have a certain crazy logic to it. But now we have a kid learning Kung fu by hanging his jacket from a peg.

They did poke fun at the chopstick scene from the original and that was funny. Also, the updated healing hand technique was cool.

A major problem with the film--and I hate to admit it--was Jacky Chan. He was trying to be Mr. Miagi(sp?) yet he does not have the delivery of Pat Morita.

At least the fighting scenes were better.

Edited by Silearth

I must sadly say that I'm no fan of Jacky Chan.

His acting is often sub-par and the only reason he is often selected for a roll is his facial expressions and his ability to put his feet around his neck to to speak.

No offence to people who like him, but it's a big nono for me

I guess this movie falling into this new rage of "updating" was sure to come along.

But...for god's sake...it's Pat Morita

How can Pat Morita be updated?

:blink:

gogo

p.s. errr...actually ... they did a very good job of the whole karate kid update with Pixar's Kung Fu Panda. Pat Morita.. updated by Dustin Hoffman. Yeah I buy that :)

I must sadly say that I'm no fan of Jacky Chan.

His acting is often sub-par and the only reason he is often selected for a roll is his facial expressions and his ability to put his feet around his neck to to speak.

No offence to people who like him, but it's a big nono for me

Exactly the reasons I do like him. Put him along side an american actor with good timing and you've got gold. I never really liked his older kung fu movies, though; too silly for my taste.

I guess this movie falling into this new rage of "updating" was sure to come along.

But...for god's sake...it's Pat Morita

How can Pat Morita be updated?

:viking:

gogo

p.s. errr...actually ... they did a very good job of the whole karate kid update with Pixar's Kung Fu Panda. Pat Morita.. updated by Dustin Hoffman. Yeah I buy that :bow:

They should have made it a parody and cast Chris Tucker as Dre.

Now there were a couple of bright spots: The clichéd 'are we there yet' while climbing the stairs got a chuckle from the audience, as did the kissing scene. Though, as a less progressive parent, I get tired of seeing little kids having their first kiss in movies. When I was twelve, girls still had cooties.

It was a re-do for sure... But I took my boys last weekend and we enjoyed it. Jackie Chan has always strayed away from the typical Kung-fu action star. Doing his own stunts and looking for comedy ( and sillyness) in his films makes him unique.

And I thought Jaden Smith did a pretty good job in his first staring roll. I loved the original movies but Ralph Machio sp? compared to Jaden? I liked Jaden better. And the new "open to the world" spirit of China was cool. The exterior scenes were breath taking.

I am not a martial artist...but the "You don't have to know everything , But master a few skills" approach has always been uplifting. And this one took a more "Everything is Kung-Fu" approach.

But like most re-makes you alreadyk now the story...So enjoy the view and the presentation.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like it. I'm a big Jackie Chan fan from his earliest work and his movies made for Western audiences is very crap to say the least. His movies not made for the mainstream audience are absolutely fantastic.

His movie Shinjuku Incident was so raw and not normally his style of movie but it worked. There was no kung fu action that he is famous for, he just plays an ordinary person looking to "make it" in Japan but instead gets mixed up with the local Yakuza and Taiwanese gangsters. Definitely check it out if you have the chance or look here:

Shinjuku Incident http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNPukXUfwQY...feature=related (part 1 of 13)