CCleaner. Does it damage your system?

Sirius

I've heard that CrapCleaner can seriously damage your system.

Is there any truth to this rumor?

I use the program frequently, though my laptop was braindamaged long before I runned my first scan.

(Perhaps we can get the guys at Mythbusters to try this out.) ;)

Edited by Sirius

Same here, for general cleanup it works great, but I would be careful with some of the more detailed options unless you know you system files and windows very well, as it will let you remove some stuff you need. again the default settings have never caused my any trouble.

Does the CrapCleaner work much like McAfee QuickClean w/ Shredder?

I remain, :D

It would be similar the a registry cleaner and Windows Disk Cleanup utility combined into one. with the ability also to uninstall unneeded programs as well

Does the CrapCleaner work much like McAfee QuickClean w/ Shredder?

It would be similar the a registry cleaner and Windows Disk Cleanup utility combined into one. with the ability also to uninstall unneeded programs as well

Sounds better in nature, with many tools combined into [1]. Is the CCleaner free to download? If so, where?

I remain, :bounce:

Sounds better in nature, with many tools combined into [1]. Is the CCleaner free to download? If so, where?

Just do a google search for crapcleaner, they have their own site.

It is a freeware as far as I know, and it is a very small file.

Will you remove any vital system files by checking every box in the cleaner (not including messing with the options or the advanced otions)? If not, I don't think the program is reason to get nervous.

http://www.piriform.com

That's the home of CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy.

CCleaner is a cleaner which cleans your drive from temporary files and other garbage that your browser and other programs have left behind.

It can also clean registerkeys and values which aren't used anymore (happens when you uninstall a program or game)

It is not a spyware remover or a virusscanner. For that you need other tools, such as MBAM and Avira Antivir.

CCleaner is freeware. Be sure to grab the slim build, otherwise it comes with a toolbar (they have to get their money somewhere from)

The other builds can you find here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

CCleaner doesn't damage your system, but for some options be sure that you know what you're doing.

Alright, thank you all.

Conclusion:

CrapCleaner (or CCleaner) will not harm your system, unless you really mess with advanced options settings.

Case closed :D