How do you level up your combat arts?

I bought sacred 2 for the xbox 360 last Friday night. I played it for 21 hours over the weekend with the shadow warrior and got up to level 21. Monday I come to find out that he's able to call in minions so I decided to start over. I started another campain with the shadow warrior last night and got up to a level 11. I got the nether alliance art now I have 4 skeltons. Anys now on to my questions.

1. How do you level up your combat arts. Here's my understanding let me know if I'm wrong or missing something. Each combat art aspect (3) total for each character has relvant skills a lore and a focus when you level them up you combat arts level up plus you will eventually get a mod point. Is this correct or not?

2. Is there any downside to getting all 15 of your combat arts to see what there like. Then once you found the ones you like start spending your skill points.

3. If I read a ruin to open up a combat art and later I find that same ruin and I read it again does it help any.

4. I've read that if you level up your skills to much or to fast your regenration will be slow. How do you know what's to fast or to much.

Thanks

Welcome to Dark Matters!

Answers

1. The Aspect skills will unlock mod points to be used for special Combat Art Bonuses. the combat Arts will only level by 1 of 2 ways.

A. Reading Runes into the combat art. note: beware that along with reading runes comes an upside and a downside. the upside is that the combat art increases a level. the downside is that regeneration time also increases. the Aspect focus will help lower that regeneration time

B. from +combat art mods from Gear and Gems. adding gear with +combat art bonuses is a preferred method of leveling your combat arts. prefered because you can remove the item, you can not remove a rune. and the regeneration penalty from is lower from Gear than from reading runes

2. Read 1 rune into each of your 15 combat arts. this will allow you to test each one and see what you like for your play style. there is no downside to reading 1 rune

3. As in answer number 1. Reading runes increases the regeneration time of the CA. Most players leave runes read at 1 until later in game when they have mastered the art of Regen times.

4. Leveling Skills is good. leveling Combat arts too fast(Reading more than 1 Rune) is bad. The ideal level depends on the Character, play style, Combat Art, etc. Most of us more experience builders have ideal regen times in mind when we build. for a better idea of what a good regen time is, see our Sacred_2_Player_Contributed_Guides. There are many builds to read and learn from to accelerate your learning curve. ( I have 2000 hours into this game and still learn something new every time I play, This game is deeeeeep!)

Cheers

First, and foremost, a hearty welcome, ERK419!

Looks like Loco beat me to the punch, but I got some background info for ya!

There is a pinned/stickied thread called "Newbie Guide...." and I am a linkidiot, so here's the link: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10829

I think this will help you a lot. You can also surf around the wiki for some of the basics of the game, I have linked them below:

Runes

Combat Arts

Skills

There's tons of info in the wiki, but not nearly everything! So, don't be shy to ask any questions, we're generally happy to help when we can!

Edited by essjayehm

Thanks a lot guys for the welcomes and the help, also thanks folr the links. So let me make sure I got this right plus I have a couple other questions.

1. So the only way to level up you combat arts is either to read runes which in return will raise you regenration time or the prefered way by using armor, weapons, gems, etc that says it raises it. Is this correct?

2. Now with each combat aspact skills for example astral lord in order to get mod points for the combat arts in that skill you would need both astral lord lore and astral lord focus and add points to them. Is that right or not.

3. With the combat arts for example nether allegiance it has 6 slots for mod points. 3 on the top mainly having to do with adding another skelton and three on the bottom mainly having to do with there strength. Are you able to add a point to all 6 or are you only able to do three per combat art? Also if you can only do three can you do both the top and bottom. Like pick one from the top then one from bottom etc or do you have to either go top or bottom?

Thanks

Let me try to answer your latest questions.

1. Yes, you got that right, however, the game mechanism is extremely sophisticated. A lot of things will have a certain influence on your Combat Arts, but basically, to level them up, you have to read a rune or wear items with +CA modifiers. As the others stated before me, it is unwise to raise your CA levels too quickly. When I start a new character, I usually won't read a new rune until she passes level 20 (except for a High Elf, but that's another story).

2. To get modification points, you have to raise the level of your lore OR focus skill of the desired Aspect. Or both, of course. You get a modification point to spend each time when the level of the lore and the focus skills reach a certain value (3, 5, 9, 14, 22, 31, 42... etc). Mind you, only hard points count (which you add manually at each new level). On the other hand, weapon-based aspects, like the Malevolent Champion and Death Warrior of the Shadow Warrior, will benefit from raising the focus skill AND Tactics Lore. Please think about Tactics Lore as a general Lore skill for all weapon-based aspects.

Also do not forget that you can raise the effectivity of your Combat Arts by raising the level of their Lore skill, as it will raise their damage, critical chance and casting speed!

3. Each and every Combat Art can be modified three times. You can choose ONE modification each time from the top or the bottom row, and yes, you can mix them as you like. Personally I find these modification issues the hardest choices of the game - I used to reroll characters completely because a wrong decision.

Hopefully this helps!

Enjoy the game!

Let me try to answer your latest questions.

1. Yes, you got that right, however, the game mechanism is extremely sophisticated. A lot of things will have a certain influence on your Combat Arts, but basically, to level them up, you have to read a rune or wear items with +CA modifiers. As the others stated before me, it is unwise to raise your CA levels too quickly. When I start a new character, I usually won't read a new rune until she passes level 20 (except for a High Elf, but that's another story).

2. To get modification points, you have to raise the level of your lore OR focus skill of the desired Aspect. Or both, of course. You get a modification point to spend each time when the level of the lore and the focus skills reach a certain value (3, 5, 9, 14, 22, 31, 42... etc). Mind you, only hard points count (which you add manually at each new level). On the other hand, weapon-based aspects, like the Malevolent Champion and Death Warrior of the Shadow Warrior, will benefit from raising the focus skill AND Tactics Lore. Please think about Tactics Lore as a general Lore skill for all weapon-based aspects.

Also do not forget that you can raise the effectivity of your Combat Arts by raising the level of their Lore skill, as it will raise their damage, critical chance and casting speed!

3. Each and every Combat Art can be modified three times. You can choose ONE modification each time from the top or the bottom row, and yes, you can mix them as you like. Personally I find these modification issues the hardest choices of the game - I used to reroll characters completely because a wrong decision.

Hopefully this helps!

Enjoy the game!

Great first post, useful info as well.

Welcome to DarkMatters Trueffel and ERK419!

:)

gogo

Thank you for your kind words Gogo. I am lurking here a long time ago, it was high time to contribute.

Amazing community you have here guys, I spent a lot of time here and I come back again and again - sometimes to clarify a tiny bit of info, sometimes just to enjoy the quality of the conversation here.

Respect!

Thanks alot Trueffel so your response it was easy to understand. Gogo thanks for the welcome. One question I have what would be considered leveling up your CA to fast. Like should I try to keep then at the level I'm at? How many CA points will you get. Should you save them sometimes so you dont level them up to fast?

You're welcome ERK419!

By leveling up CAs I meant eating runes. I am not sure what did you mean about CA points, if you mean modifaction points, you will have enough to modify all your CAs, but be warned - it is extremely tedious to gather a new point after, say, the first 5-6 ones.

Every CA is different, and their regeneration times are up to several factors: your active Buff, your character level, your Stamina, the level of your Focus skill, item modifiers - just to mention the most important ones.

My advice is to keep every CA on level 1 until you are absolutely satisfied with their individual regen times! This way you won't get overwhelmed. Then try to eat runes one by one. You can check the actual regen times on your Combat Arts window (by pressing RB). My first SW characters did very well with level 1 Combat Arts for a long time (until around level 35). Your buffs should be the last ones to read runes into, as they directly raise regeneration times!

The mechanism of this game is the best I've ever seen - you have to balance several factors to survive. Sometimes it is definitely worth to sacrifice some aspects for the sake of others, sometimes it is forbidden - all depends on the character build you're playing. That is the reason why I can not stop playing this game since the day of release! :)

You're welcome ERK419!

By leveling up CAs I meant eating runes. I am not sure what did you mean about CA points, if you mean modifaction points, you will have enough to modify all your CAs, but be warned - it is extremely tedious to gather a new point after, say, the first 5-6 ones.

Every CA is different, and their regeneration times are up to several factors: your active Buff, your character level, your Stamina, the level of your Focus skill, item modifiers - just to mention the most important ones.

My advice is to keep every CA on level 1 until you are absolutely satisfied with their individual regen times! This way you won't get overwhelmed. Then try to eat runes one by one. You can check the actual regen times on your Combat Arts window (by pressing RB). My first SW characters did very well with level 1 Combat Arts for a long time (until around level 35). Your buffs should be the last ones to read runes into, as they directly raise regeneration times!

The mechanism of this game is the best I've ever seen - you have to balance several factors to survive. Sometimes it is definitely worth to sacrifice some aspects for the sake of others, sometimes it is forbidden - all depends on the character build you're playing. That is the reason why I can not stop playing this game since the day of release! :)

Oh ok I forgot you level them up by eating ruins. What I was thinking about was the CA skills is there a penalty for upgrading those to fast? From the start should I focus more on the lores and focus's?

OK then, it seems I misunderstood you...

There are absolutely no penalty for upgrading skills! Raising skill levels is always, I mean always the best idea and it is my first priority.

By raising your Focus skill you also raise the maximum possible level of your CAs. Usually I put slightly more points to the Focus skill then the Lore but basically it is good to keep them close to each other. You can not raise any skill over your character level (except by wearing +skill equipment, which is a very, very effective method to have a kick-ass character...)

I'd seriously consider to read some Build Guides on this forum - you will immediately see what is really important when planning a character.

Was that the answer you were looking for?

Great conversation going here.

A lot of new players may find that following a guide the first few builds takes.some of the overwhelming part away from the learning curve.

The is no limitation on creativity of builds. Therefore no wrong answers on skill choices unless a choice doesn't get you the result you wanted.

As for skills. Some of the important ones that most people add to builds.

Armor lore

Aspect focus

tactics lore for melee builds

Concentration for multiple buffs

Constitution

Weapon skill for melee

Adding points to aspect skills early is common. It allows you to modify the CA bonuses early.

Thanks again guys for your help! I think I'll do that I'm going to follow one of the builds on here and I'm sure it will help me understand everything better. Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks hacksaw! Does anyone have some links to some good builds thats shows you step by step how to build them?

I found a couple step by step ones in the link loco gave but they don't say were to put the attribute points

If you head over to the Guides and Walkthrough sections you will find guides on every class.

As for attribute points it's fairly simple, for Magic classes you can go 3 ways, Stamina for decreased CA regen, Vitality for more health because you won't have a lot or Intelligence for increased CA damage.

Melee builds are a little different, Strength will increase damage and attack with certain strength based weapons, Vitality once again for a little more health (although most melee classes get Constitution which adds a lot itself) Willpower for a little bit more Magic Defense or Dexterity for some dexterity based weapon, it will add more attack and defense as well as ranged damage.

Ranged builds can go with Vitality once again, Dexterity will increase, attack, defense and damage and willpower for some more magic defense.

At least that's how I see it. Enjoy. :)

I found a bunch wasn't looking in the right spot lol

If you head over to the Guides and Walkthrough sections you will find guides on every class.

As for attribute points it's fairly simple, for Magic classes you can go 3 ways, Stamina for decreased CA regen, Vitality for more health because you won't have a lot or Intelligence for increased CA damage.

Melee builds are a little different, Strength will increase damage and attack with certain strength based weapons, Vitality once again for a little more health (although most melee classes get Constitution which adds a lot itself) Willpower for a little bit more Magic Defense or Dexterity for some dexterity based weapon, it will add more attack and defense as well as ranged damage.

Ranged builds can go with Vitality once again, Dexterity will increase, attack, defense and damage and willpower for some more magic defense.

At least that's how I see it. Enjoy. :)

Thanks man!