Tutorial - Importing and Exporting GR2 Models

There's a great tool for editing meshes called Geomagic Studio. It's easy to cap holes and I think it can also generate watertight meshes.

With regard to assembly points, you might add them after printing (like reshaping a plastic model kit).

To add joints is a whole different ballgame, it requires some skills in mechanics. I think it would be easiest to print limbs separately, and then add existing fine-mechanical hinge-joints.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You mean you're going to make a real-life mask that you're gonna wear around?

Yes

I believe that is what he's intending, by use of a 3-D printer.

Nononono.

I still plan to convert the 3D data into a 3D printable action figure eventually. But that has taken a big back burner, because I had no luck with conversion of hollow meshes to 3D formats.

But 3D is way too expensive and long to get in my parts.

What I'm aiming for now is to recreate a mask/helmet that looks like that in real life using paper mache, to wear this Halloween to the office party.

But TG head structure is tricky, given its dog shape and I don't want the muzzle looking down.

Hence the upper pic with Centurion vs TG head structure, where I put a human head best position for mask based on TG.

That why Im using Unity 3D to get the data I need

So far things are going very well in that regard.

Edited by SX255

Yeah, that TG mask should be quite a bit larger to fit over the SW's head..

You want me to help out?

I fail to see how you can help me make a Halloween mask.

How would you?

I believe he was offering to help with any 3D modelling assistance you might require and not any actual paper mache creations.

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Thank you for the comprehensive tutorial and tools pesmontis.

I have a question though, how do you edit a gr2 file with multiple smd files eported by grnreader98? for example the heroes body meshes (c_sera_skin.gr2, etc..). I tried to import the fbx with 3dsmax7 but it only imported the skeleton.

Also theres another problem with editing the heroes torso. there are visible mesh gaps/seams on the arms and pelvis area

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want to import multiple SMD files into 3DSmax, I recommend turning off the option "Always Deform" for each mesh you've already loaded. It can be found under the Modifier tab, section "Advanced Parameters". After you've loaded all separate meshes, simply turn on the option "Always Deform" for all loaded meshes.

> ".. only imported the skeleton.."

This is probably due to your FBX import settings.

Otherwise this can also be seen when loading SMD files that have something like "null.bmp" defined for a mesh's texture file. You can always edit SMD files with a proper text editor.

• Like! 1

Ah sorry, I should have been more clear. It's not really a seams, but a pretty large gap between the arms and edited torso. The arms are almost not connected at all to the edited torso. It's like the scale, position, or vertex weights of the mesh is messed up after being edited in 3dsmax. The mesh is not deformed or anything and the texture shows up just fine, it's just the connection that is messed up.

Edited by ragesuperbot

> ".. after being edited in 3dsmax.."

You can't simply edit a skinned model in 3DSmax. If you want to edit a mesh, first make a clone (<Edit><Clone>, select radio button 'copy'). Then remove the skin modifier from the clone or simply collaps the skin modifier. Then edit, and then copy the skin modifier from the original mesh. Thereafter you need to check then copied skin, to see whether bone weights aren't applied to mesh parts that are close together (for instance right leg / left leg).

• Like! 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...