We were doing bicyle tours with our daughter using our stepped tandem and having it modified to have the front seat powered with arms.

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=6905309

Doc's gave okay that she no longer needs her chairwheel. Before buying a new bicycle we (whole family, including other kids) decided to buy a dog-scooter first. Hope dog-scooter is the correct word:

dogpull_1.jpg

We have a pair of Leonberger dogs. The male is 135 pounds, the female at 100 pounds. They are great family dogs, friendly and calm. Living mid in forest and having 4 daughters a dog cannot big enough in my eyes. Also important for us was allways that they are trained for water rescue. We have several lakes used for fish breeding around and these dogs can pull even an adult out of the water.

The dog-scooter is saver than a bicycle if pulled by dogs. Also the scooter is a better training for the injured leg. You can have the weight on the healthy leg and can slowly train the injured leg by moving it.

We decided for a robust downhill scooter with disc brakes and it will be around 1300+ euro with the gear needed to attach the dogs, leash and dog corsos. It will be for whoever wants or has to move the dogs once our daughter is fully recovered.

Edited by chattius
  • 2 months later...

100% will be a long process of scar treatment. The leg is fully trained again, all muscles working and the wound is closed. But there is an area of skin which is still nearly dead. This area is like 12% of the old wound. She is still growing so several options are discussed. Skin grafting is the most talked one, now that the needed skin is no longer this much. It would be best to do it right now when the second half of the school year just started so she should be able to catch up with the rest of the class again while easter breaks and before tests are written.

It will be painful: first cutting bad skin away, cutting good skin from upper leg (only a tinny scar should be left from this) and then sewing it on at the wound. Then some vacuum technique to make the new skin healing better and faster.

The options seem to be no surgery now and wait till my daughter is fully grown out and then do a surgery, which could be bigger if the dead skin area grows, but there might be new treatment methods(like better vacuum techniques...).

Or do a surgery right now because young skin heals better.

Doing it right now would hurt me a bit, because she just started to do sports again mid january and she allways liked it. So the reason I am no longer posting much about playing Sacred2 and more about cooking--- that is it. I find no time to play for more than 2 month now because I use to cook, do homework or play with other kids and clean up after work, while my wife does Reha-training (english shorten rebalition as re-hab I think) with our second.

• 2 weeks later...

The skin grafting was done a week ago at a special hospital. Sadly it is 500 kilometres away, so visits are only possible at weekends. It will take 5 weeks to know if nerves will be working. Nerve growing is like 1 centimetre a week.

Some kids from her class meet at a youth club (it has broadband DSl already in diffrence to our village) and do homeworks via video conference. So she isn't missing that much stuff at school in the 6-7 weeks she will be away.

My wife stays at the hospital for the first 2 weeks, perhaps adding a third.

• 2 months later...

While the skin grafting the hospital discovered dead/scar muscle parts so the rehabilation took 8 weeks at Munich, 500 kilometres away from us. Our daughter finally returned home the thursday before easter.

I am glad to hear she is home, now, Chattius. And just in time for the holiday! I hope her recovery is going smoothly, and please wish her my best for a speedy rehabilition. I assume she will be undergoing some physiotherapy, will it be available near to you or will there be more travelling in your future?

While the skin grafting the hospital discovered dead/scar muscle parts so the rehabilation took 8 weeks at Munich, 500 kilometres away from us. Our daughter finally returned home the thursday before easter.

Chattius, very happy to hear this! Having a child happy and in health, the dreams of a parent and also in time for your Easter.

Wonderful!

:hugs:

gogo

p.s. on a side note, will you be going with the charges against, is that working out?

The civil law stuff at court is done. He was forced to pay into an insurance which will cover surgeries that won't be handled by our health insurance- which is a quite good one, paying surgeries, hotel for the first 2 weeks my wife was at hospital close to daughter, rehabilation, paid house teacher if needed to close up to class learning level again (but it seems she overtook the class, bored and read all the books till schoolend already at hospital)... But any cosmetic or muscle surgeries which may be needed in 10 years wouldn't be covered by our family insurance which ends when kids finished university. These costs would be covered by the insurance the other guy has to pay in.

The other thing is that our health insurance will now try to get the money they paid from him or his insurances. But no need for our daughter to appear at court again.

The criminal law part, is it the word, the case which is done by the state, he said guilty at the pre-hearing, so no need for our family to appear at court. Guess his lawyer made a deal for less punishment if he says guilty. It is okay for us, noone of our family want to walk through the accident again mentally.

Glad that everything turned out in your favour Chattius! Goodluck to your daughter with her recovery! Hope all of you will be healthy and together now!

Delta!

Hope you've had a lovely eastern with your family and your wee girl! I'm sure all these trobles have strenghten the ties of your family. Good to hear that your daughter is getting over. Best wishes! :)

• 3 months later...

The wound is closed, but muscle rehab and skin training still be done. The injured skin is growing more slowly than the other and so muscle rehab is slowed a bit. She is luckily able to visit 3 classmates who live just 10 kilomteres away with her e-bike. We bought a very robust frame, which allows to have a front basket for transports. The basket is attached to the main frame,so you don't have to pull its weight when you steer with the front wheel.

faf6383554.jpg

We didn't want a suspension. From our bike tours we learned that adding weight does totally change the responsibility of the steering. So we decided for a bigger diametres for the wheels and used Schwalbe Big Apple tyres, Kevlar protected. We didn't want her to have a flat mid in forests. The 'Big Apples' in addition with the big wheels puffer a lot of bumbs and stones when driving.

bigapple.jpg

This thread about e-bikes at darkmatters.

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/18667-e-bikes/