Search for the Sacred 2 Easter Eggs - Help us collect 'em

I don't know that you could say it is a specific reference to Frank Zappa. Everyone knows what yellow snow means without hearing the song. I would suggest that it's simply the result one of the devs (slightly warped) sense of humour.

Well.. MOST everybody knows what yellow snow means.

And that IS part of what adds that certain bit of uh.."charm" to the song. Zappa was one seriously warped individual. Who else would write a song about yellow snow? I can't think of anyone in the entire history of music who would have gone there.

As I listen to the song all the way through,I note he starts singing of Nanuck of the North and winds up at the end at some pancake house somewhere else. Ergo, I think Zappa would have appealed to the Devs own sense of warped humor.

Ever notice there are only TWO bathrooms in the whole of Ancaria..? And both of which are in the Ascaron offices, right next to Bettina Wegner's office. Sure, there are cesspits, but no proper indoor plumbing facilities. Not even in Thylysium... You'd think there'd be some sort of facilities there...

Bathrooms...well I guess when you are desiging a city in an rpg game its not one of the main focuses. Regardless, yellow snow, there is no proof that this is an easter egg meant as you feel it is. I realise that we already have some extremely tenously linked easter eggs, but for all of them there is text or some deeper proof...this...is more of an opinion I think...if it belongs anywhere maybe the miscellaneous page where it could be suggested that is related to frank zappa, but other than that...I really dont know.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are having a great discussion here, there's some vim in the words this morning. If it is, ain't... good thing is we don't have to post absolute sleuthian references...but we can post a conjecture relating to what a group of peeps have instantly picked up on. I would think that that's kind of key here... a group of peeps instantly keyed in on what they perceive as being a reference to them, and in so doing, give it a kind of credibility. What we can do is, in the Frank Zappa page, make a reference to "blah blah blah conjecture... blah could be... blah blah frank zappa... " show some of the pics of the albums and voila... conjectury tale of recreation told... we have presented our clues, hints... ultimately the reader can decide if it's absolutely true or not...but in the mean time we have given them that romp, that extra bit of delight.

And... we can also google the words yellow snow. This is a trick for me to determine what word's current worth means, has come from, is slipping towards to. And in this case, when you google "yellow snow" we get the frank zappa reference a number of times in top five hits of the page.

It doesn't mean that the devs purposely planned to make a ref to to the frank zaffa meaning...but it's a nice piece of a potential puzzle, and even perhaps an Easter Egg?

:)

gogo

Blech... I cannot recall how many times I've gone through the Temple Guardian class quest... but yesterday I'm running around in the cave that the TG quest visits in the desert region, and I notice at the top of the screen: "Alibaba gang member defeated 13/41". D'oh!

The book '1001 Arabian Nights', IIRC, has the story of Ali Baba and the 40 Theives... another egg?

Ah, yer paying attention to details, and bravo with this... another egg! oooh, this one will have a good picture too ^^

Scott, do you know the exact name of the quest, in game what is it called? Any more info on this you want us to put into wiki?

gogo

There's a piece of high elf NPC banter that, if I recall correctly, goes roughly like this: "I heard that a rather small white bear is keeping a lot of people in suspense".

My intuition tells me this is a reference to the "Knut-mania" phenomenon that gripped Germany (and much of the rest of the world to be honest) a few years back.

My intuition tells me this is a reference to the "Knut-mania" phenomenon that gripped Germany (and much of the rest of the world to be honest) a few years back.

Hi Little Faith, I've actually never heard of Knut Mania... it was a phenomenon?

:unsure:

gogo

Ah, yer paying attention to details, and bravo with this... another egg! oooh, this one will have a good picture too ^^

Scott, do you know the exact name of the quest, in game what is it called? Any more info on this you want us to put into wiki?

gogo

Er... not paying attention is more like it. It's the one class quest I do pretty much everytime I am playing TG so I've done it quite a few times :sweating:

This already could be in the wiki in the class quests, I'll have a look there first, otherswise I'd have to wait to get home :)

Having a 3 feet long cute little (?) polar bear in the room of our third daughter, I would say there was a Knut-mania.

There is also a series of kid books(1987), a TV series(1992) and a movie(2001) about Lars, The Little Polar Bear. So the story of Knut who wasn't fed by its mother and had to be fed by his personal zookeeper became a Knut-mania because there was already a fundament of people loving little polar bears. Knut was kinda a living version of Lars.

So when animal protectors said that it would be better to kill the cub there was an outcry of children. I don't know if it would have been the same in case there would have been no Lars books/TV-series earlier.

Edited by chattius

Having a 3 feet long cute little (?) polar bear in the room of our third daughter, I would say there was a Knut-mania.

There is also a series of kid books(1987), a TV series(1992) and a movie(2001) about Lars, The Little Polar Bear. So the story of Knut who wasn't fed by its mother and had to be fed by his personal zookeeper became a Knut-mania because there was already a fundament of people loving little polar bears. Knut was kinda a living version of Lars.

So when animal protectors said that it would be better to kill the cub there was an outcry of children. I don't know if it would have been the same in case there would have been no Lars books/TV-series earlier.

Well... Good thing there was. Good grief. With all the polar bears are having, the last thing you'd think those animal rights whack jobs would do is saction killing it. To think the "animal protectors" - read the German branch of PETA (People for Ethical Treatment of Animals) - would want the poor thing killed off... Goes to show how insane these guys are. Especially if the only reason was to call attention to another situation at another zoo where the baby critter was euthanized.

Watching a lot of Animal Planet/Nat Geo Wild type programming, there are lots of examples of zoo keepers adopting baby animals and hand raising them - if for no other reason than it makes it easier to handle the critter when it's full grown.

Blech... I cannot recall how many times I've gone through the Temple Guardian class quest... but yesterday I'm running around in the cave that the TG quest visits in the desert region, and I notice at the top of the screen: "Alibaba gang member defeated 13/41". D'oh!

The book '1001 Arabian Nights', IIRC, has the story of Ali Baba and the 40 Theives... another egg?

Eh.. It's sort of an egg... Ali Baba - from the original 1001 Arabian Nights story was not the leader of the gang. He's just an honest wood cutter who overheard the gang members visiting their stash. He overhears the password - so he gets in and does a bit of looting himself. The gang members eventually figure out who he was - and almost kill him, but a slave girl kills off the thieves and protects the Baba family from them.

Ah well.. Either way - it's up on the wiki page.

Thanks for explaining the small white bear line the High Elves come out with. I'd never thought of Knut, as whilst he got into the media in Britain, it probably wasn't to the level it did in Germany.

Rather embarrassingly, the only white bear I could think of was Rupert the Bear, and I was fairly certain that we wouldn't have been able to syndicate that cartoon in Germany! :blush:

Eh.. It's sort of an egg... Ali Baba - from the original 1001 Arabian Nights story was not the leader of the gang. He's just an honest wood cutter who overheard the gang members visiting their stash. He overhears the password - so he gets in and does a bit of looting himself. The gang members eventually figure out who he was - and almost kill him, but a slave girl kills off the thieves and protects the Baba family from them.

Looks like the questwriter knew as much of the story as I did! Won't say anything about QA :(

Thanks for posting that, Wolfie!

Looks like the questwriter knew as much of the story as I did! Won't say anything about QA :(

Thanks for posting that, Wolfie!

Welcome... The devs probably needed a fall guy to guard the key as well as a suitably large mob, and as such, they bent the facts to make it work. The facts be damned..! We don't need no stinkin' facts...!

I somehow doubt that anyone would have figured it out if they used the name of the actual leader of the gang... But put Ali Baba's name - and it's pretty much instant recognition.

Page you did on WIki for this looks good:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Ali_Baba

Thank you

gogo

Thank you

gogo

When I looked at the quest log, there is nothing relating to Ali Baba... it says something like "thieves are utilizing the Temple Guardian facility, I must eradicate them all" or something along those lines (evil toon). Probably coul've gone into misc. eggs but Wolfie also dug up an interesting "broken telephone" type of tidbit from wikipedia. A couple of people I asked about Ali Baba also believed he was leader, or whatever.

Thanks, Wolfie!

Thank you

gogo

When I looked at the quest log, there is nothing relating to Ali Baba... it says something like "thieves are utilizing the Temple Guardian facility, I must eradicate them all" or something along those lines (evil toon). Probably coul've gone into misc. eggs but Wolfie also dug up an interesting "broken telephone" type of tidbit from wikipedia. A couple of people I asked about Ali Baba also believed he was leader, or whatever.

Thanks, Wolfie!

The light version of the quest isn't any different. Interestingly enough - the quest log refers to the baddies as Durach Osim - as opposed to Alibaba... The only mention of Ali Baba is during the game when you press Alt and look at the character's names.

Is the cat's name in The Stray Cat quest an easter egg?

http://www.sacredwik...2:The_Stray_Cat

Interesting question... why do you think so? I think Erris is actually a Easter Egg referencing a big contributor from the Sacred International Forum (She actually is a big writer on the Wiki, and has created this Christmas Sunburst that is my avatar now ) ...for that I could possibly agree... and she's a huge vegetarian. I'm not sure about Stray Cat... the only reference I can think of is the song Stray Cat Strut... is that what you meant?

:0

gogo

Is the cat's name in The Stray Cat quest an easter egg?

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:The_Stray_Cat

The cat's name is Tári.

Somehow doubt the cat's name is an easter egg.. I couldn't find anything related that had any global appeal.

Erris is the girl who gives you the quest to find the cat, btw...

Erris is the girl who gives you the quest to find the cat, btw...

Yeah, I remember Erris actually talking about the fact that she was named in a quest. If I have time I'll email her to confirm this.

gogo

I was wondering because it was an unusual name for a cat. A google search brought up a large number of people who use the name in middle earth rpg games. I'm wondering if the name is from Tolkien's books somewhere.

• 2 months later...

Not an easteregg but I couldn't resist to post it: One of the unsolved riddles in game is who is producing the Llama8's_Infamous_Electric_Poo.

As we all know the poo looks like a moebius knot. Something which hasn't a start or an end. So the beast producing it must be a strange animal with an even stranger digesting system. Could it be that it is a programmer?

Programmer (n): An organism that can turn caffeine into code.

Now we do all this in german: Programmierer- Ein Organismus der Koffein in Kode verwandelt.

Now if we don't read it but speak it, Kode sounds same as Kot.

And suddenly we are at the latest t-shirt of our 12 year old who is at hospital. Her god-mother (having a swedish mother), who does web illustrations, gave her her old Palm Pre for playing and phoning while she is tied to the machines which do muscle rebuilding. Watching our daughter to play on the palm and how she hammered the keys while doing quick games it must have been more a torturing of the palm. Torturing is Martern in german, Marder is german for a polecat, ...

So her god-mother quickly did a nice picture of a striped polecat hammering on a palm and named it Palmmarter (palm torturing, same sounding palmmarder would be palm polecat).

Then her got-mother remembered that Palmmard (palm polecat) is the swedish word for the Asian Palm Civet. And guess what asian palm civets are doing: they eat coffee peas, or in other words: they are an organism that can turn caffeine into feces.

But in german the words for feces(Kot) and code(Kode) sound the same. So she T-shirt has a big written Palmmarder top, then the anime/comic picture of the polecat hammering a palm below, and below the picture it is written in german Lautschrift (phonetical not alphabetical writing):

Programmierer- Ein Organismus der Koffein in Kode verwandelt.

So it would have both possible translations:

Programmer: an organism that can turn caffeine into code

Programmer: an organism that can turn caffeine into feces

For some software companies the two meanings are actually the same.

musang.gif

The asian palm civets eats coffee peas but can't digest them. They are fermented while in the digesting system. People collect these fermented coffee in the feces and sell it to gourmets: up to 600dollar the pound.

Edited by chattius