Looks like I'll be in-game real soon :)

I was finally able to receive my copies of the game so my friend and I will hopefully have everything up and running by tomorrow (maybe sooner depending on the download speeds.) I've been looking over Schot's awesome guide to getting everything installed and patched, and I had a few questions.

Firstly, I noticed that the guide is specifically meant for the UK version of the game, and I just wanted to make sure that the copy of Sacred 2 Gold I bought from DLgamer was that particular version and that all the same rules apply, despite the fact I'm in the US (I assume they would, but I wanted to clarify).

Secondly, I notice the patches come in a multitude of languages, two of which being the UK version and the US version and I was wondering - what's the difference between those two? I'm guessing they're both in English? Are there any other big differences between them that I should be aware of? I'll take either one that is preferred, as long as it's in English.

And finally, I was just wondering if there were any other "must have" files that weren't listed on his guide that I should be aware of? I saw his other thread about customizing the camera and I definitely plan to try that out. If there's anything else like that, or just general new-player advice that any of you can think of, by all means let me know ;).

Hope to see you guys in-game soon!

Edit: Oh I just remembered another question I had: Is it possible to change the settings in the game (maybe even through custom settings) so that you can use your combat arts by just clicking their respective hotkeys (1-5, etc)? When I played the demo I noticed that you needed to hit the hot key and then use right click to actually perform the skills. The whole process seemed kind of redundant to me and I was hoping there was a way that the hotkeys, themselves alone, could be set up to use the skill with the single push of a button (without the need of right click).

It's not really a big deal, but I've gotten pretty used to the typical hotkey mechanics in most games these days. Plus, It'd be great to be able to reassign the right click to the camera control instead (if that's possible). That's asking a bit much I guess, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see what was possible :).

Ok, the Gold edition is the UK/International version. As such you want the UK patches for your game. The different patches work by looking for the different localisation files and as such trying to use a US patch wouldnt work on a UK install. Anyway, download your game, there may be a patch or two you need to install for Ice & Blood, you will be able to check what version of the game you have when you get to the main menu, it should be in one of the bottom corners.

You could check out the ciSacred mod here. It contains a heap of visual mods for sets, the GUI and various other things. Id suggest playing the game naturally first though to see how you like the default setup.

Also, if you dont end up playing online check out the CM-patch, but if your intent is to join us on the servers then you dont need to worry about it too much.

I think thats about it :)

Edit: Oh I just remembered another question I had: Is it possible to change the settings in the game (maybe even through custom settings) so that you can use your combat arts by just clicking their respective hotkeys (1-5, etc)? When I played the demo I noticed that you needed to hit the hot key and then use right click to actually perform the skills. The whole process seemed kind of redundant to me and I was hoping there was a way that the hotkeys, themselves alone, could be set up to use the skill with the single push of a button (without the need of right click).

It's not really a big deal, but I've gotten pretty used to the typical hotkey mechanics in most games these days. Plus, It'd be great to be able to reassign the right click to the camera control instead (if that's possible). That's asking a bit much I guess, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see what was possible :) .

Yes you can change the settings to just hit the number keys instead of right-clicking. You will find the option under the options menu of course. Also, there is an option to remap the keyboard to whatever keys you like.

It's not really a big deal, but I've gotten pretty used to the typical hotkey mechanics in most games these days. Plus, It'd be great to be able to reassign the right click to the camera control instead (if that's possible). That's asking a bit much I guess, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see what was possible :) .

Yes you can change the settings to just hit the number keys instead of right-clicking. You will find the option under the options menu of course. Also, there is an option to remap the keyboard to whatever keys you like.

While you can turn autocast (or something like that...) on, it only autocasts spells that you cast on yourself such as goldenglade touch, things that require you to target an enemy (melee style Combat Arts) or the ground to create an effect there such as targetted Area of Effect's (raging nimbus) will not be autocast. Although, while it may take some getting used to, thats the best way for things to be I feel...you dont want your toon running off to uses his Combat Arts on some random enemy as there is no auto/active target tye thing where if you cast something it casts opn them. Instead, you have complete freedom to attack anyone through left/right mouse clicks.

As such, I dont believe you are be able to change camera controls to the right mouse button since that wouldnt be moveable. Camera controls are on the scroll wheel on the mouse though, click it in and then move the camera around as you will...although you may need to change a few of the gameplay options for a free camera, using schots camera mods will set you up for that though.

While you can turn autocast (or something like that...) on, it only autocasts spells that you cast on yourself such as goldenglade touch, things that require you to target an enemy (melee style Combat Arts) or the ground to create an effect there such as targetted Area of Effect's (raging nimbus) will not be autocast. Although, while it may take some getting used to, thats the best way for things to be I feel...you dont want your toon running off to uses his Combat Arts on some random enemy as there is no auto/active target tye thing where if you cast something it casts opn them. Instead, you have complete freedom to attack anyone through left/right mouse clicks.

As such, I dont believe you are be able to change camera controls to the right mouse button since that wouldnt be moveable. Camera controls are on the scroll wheel on the mouse though, click it in and then move the camera around as you will...although you may need to change a few of the gameplay options for a free camera, using schots camera mods will set you up for that though.

you can autocast an attack CA with hot keys as long as your mouse is highlighting a target. but if you have your hand on the mouse to highlight a target you might as well right click. :/

The only two files you need are the 2.40_INT patch that gets the Sacred2 to 2.40 and then after installing Ice and Blood add the 2.65.1 and .2 patches for the latest version. All patches are available on the sacredwiki

Does the gold version install it all at once? Or do you have to install stuff separately.

The download version of Sacred2 Gold comes as two separate installs. Requires a patch to 2.40 in between.

Thanks for the information guys :). I should have realized that the UK patch was specifically for the gold edition. I guess the identical version numbers through me off a bit :)

Also, I can see what you mean about the right clicking now. I hadn't thought about area effect attacks and stuff like that. I'm sure I'll get used to it easily enough.

Thanks again everyone - halfway through the download!

Well, I've been using Schot's guide and so far the game installed smoothly enough. After that, I started it up and made an online account like the guide said, then exited and tried running the first, UK/international patch (the patch over a gig in size that was linked on the guide) and I got this error message, "The installed version of Sacred 2 has changed files. The patch cannot be installed. Pleas reinstall Sacred 2." I don't understand what that could mean as I didn't alter anything at all. I did have the sacred 2 demo installed earlier, but I made sure to uninstall it first before installing the full game, as advised.

Just to clarify, since I'm using windows 7 (and I wanted to avoid any complications) I didn't install into the defualt "/program files(x86)" directory. Instead I used the path I always use for my games, "C:\Downloads\Program Files\Sacred 2". I didn't think it would make a difference since it's still in the C drive, but I figured it was worth mentioning. I also have the UAC thing turned off, as well as my anti-virus (when I installed).

Anyway, after the first error, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling (completely forgetting about revoking the key -_-), installed it to the same location (it didn't ask me for the key again though, strangely enough), went in the game, logged on my new account and went to the closed section of the multiplayer this time (because I read in another post that it was necessary in order for the patch to install). Then I quit the game, and tried running the patcher again and sure enough, the same exact error.

So now I'm stuck on what I should do. I'm afraid to keep uninstalling/reinstalling because I don't want to run out of my key activations (I'm still not sure how this works exactly), but it's telling me that I need to re-install. Any suggestions on what I should do to fix this?

Arrg. always so close, yet so freaking far lol.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: Believe it or not, I actually managed to get it installed finally :). After uninstalling again, and then making sure to delete all the leftover files (including some old sacred 2 demo log files that I had missed earlier), turning off both my anti-virus and firewall (I forgot the firewall the first time), reinstalling, and then patching again, it worked! I guess you definitely need to take the precautionary measures really seriously when patching the game lol, lesson learned. Here's hoping the rest of the patching goes smoothly.

By the way, I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I figured I'd ask here - what exactly is the difference between closed net, open net, and single coop (the option located in the same multiplayer section), and which one does the majority of people play? Can all three be played with the same character, as in could I make one character on closed for example and then use the same character in an open net game, and vice versa?

Edited by Seilan
Well, I've been using Schot's guide and so far the game installed smoothly enough. After that, I started it up and made an online account like the guide said, then exited and tried running the first, UK/international patch (the patch over a gig in size that was linked on the guide) and I got this error message, "The installed version of Sacred 2 has changed files. The patch cannot be installed. Pleas reinstall Sacred 2." I don't understand what that could mean as I didn't alter anything at all. I did have the sacred 2 demo installed earlier, but I made sure to uninstall it first before installing the full game, as advised.

Just to clarify, since I'm using windows 7 (and I wanted to avoid any complications) I didn't install into the defualt "/program files(x86)" directory. Instead I used the path I always use for my games, "C:\Downloads\Program Files\Sacred 2". I didn't think it would make a difference since it's still in the C drive, but I figured it was worth mentioning. I also have the UAC thing turned off, as well as my anti-virus (when I installed).

Anyway, after the first error, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling (completely forgetting about revoking the key -_-), installed it to the same location (it didn't ask me for the key again though, strangely enough), went in the game, logged on my new account and went to the closed section of the multiplayer this time (because I read in another post that it was necessary in order for the patch to install). Then I quit the game, and tried running the patcher again and sure enough, the same exact error.

So now I'm stuck on what I should do. I'm afraid to keep uninstalling/reinstalling because I don't want to run out of my key activations (I'm still not sure how this works exactly), but it's telling me that I need to re-install. Any suggestions on what I should do to fix this?

Arrg. always so close, yet so freaking far lol.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I did not open the game before patching. I ran the first install, patched directly to 2.40 the ran the Ice and Blood install. Make sure you did download the right patch name: Sacred2-UK-INT-2_40_0_0.exe .

I didn't enter my key until after all the patches were complete. this is in part, due to windows 7. The 2.65.1 patch resolved the windows 7 incompatibility issues.

sorry your having trouble. I experienced some issues with the file checking system as well. you can get through it, follow these steps

1. Install Sacred2 Fallen angel

2. Run Patch Sacred2-UK-INT-2_40_0_0.exe

3. Install Ice and Blood

4. Run Patch for 2.65.1

5. Run Patch for 2.65.2

6. start Sacred2.exe

By the way, I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I figured I'd ask here - what exactly is the difference between closed net, open net, and single coop (the option located in the same multiplayer section), and which one does the majority of people play? Can all three be played with the same character, as in could I make one character on closed for example and then use the same character in an open net game, and vice versa?

Heya,

difference between open and closed is where your character is stored. Closed means on Deep Silver servers, open means on your personal drive. Open is susceptible to modding and cheating. We all, Clan [D.a.r.k], play HC Closed.

You can export online HC Closed characters to Open Net and SP, just not the other way around.

Hope this helps!

Greetz

Thanks for the information guys :D. I should have realized that the UK patch was specifically for the gold edition. I guess the identical version numbers through me off a bit :viking:

Also, I can see what you mean about the right clicking now. I hadn't thought about area effect attacks and stuff like that. I'm sure I'll get used to it easily enough.

Thanks again everyone - halfway through the download!

:twitch: cant wait to see you in-game.

This will be fun. Get to explore abit again!

I remain, :)

Believe me, after the stuff I went through to get everything successfully installed on this buggy computer, finally getting to play the game was all that much more rewarding lol. I feel like the sole survivor of an epic battle :).

Now my only predicament is figuring out how the skill/attributes work in the game so I can tailor a build for my inquisitor. I figure there probably isn't a respec system in the game, so I want to make sure I have at least somewhat of a grasp on the basic mechanics. I'm just about to jump into the wiki page and try to take in as much as I can. And of course, if any of you know of any new player guides around, please let me know :twitch:.

I've always been partial to melee builds, but I like to have a little versatility and as much survivability as possible. I was planning on going with mace weapons (which I guess belong in the hafted category?) and a shield if that's possible for an inquisitor. I also noticed the dual wield ability, but it's hard for me to imagine this guy with two weapons, at least in an RP sense.

Anyway, time to do some reading; my friend and I should have some time tomorrow so maybe we can all get a game going or something :viking:.

Glad you got the install worked out!

Inquisitors are a rare breed. He does have a Melee aspect, and an area of effect aspect, and a "Evil" Necro aspect. He could survive as a pure caster, pure melee, or hybrid. there are several guides in the Inquisitor section here: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showforum=375

As for a shield and club, nope sorry the Inquisitor can't use shields. But I highly recommend the 2-H pole arms. it was one of my Fav builds.

Cheers

Glad you got the install worked out!

Inquisitors are a rare breed. He does have a Melee aspect, and an area of effect aspect, and a "Evil" Necro aspect. He could survive as a pure caster, pure melee, or hybrid. there are several guides in the Inquisitor section here: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showforum=375

As for a shield and club, nope sorry the Inquisitor can't use shields. But I highly recommend the 2-H pole arms. it was one of my Fav builds.

Cheers

Thanks much for the link :oooo:. I've been going off of the "offensive melee inquisitor" build so far and it seems pretty solid based on all the wiki research I've been doing. I'll be making some changes though like swapping out the 75 point from bargaining and putting them somewhere a bit more combat oriented.

Speaking of which, I had a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with:

In the build I'm going off of (http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11898), he has dual-wield maxed to 200, but I read that you get speed penalties with higher level weapons unless you've specialized in their respective paths directly (like hafted, sword, pole, etc). That being the case, would it be a good idea to take both dual-wield and hafted so that I can get the "Item Level Without Penalty" property added? Since dual-wield takes precedence over the other individual weapon skills, I planned on getting it to 200 while putting the extra 75 into hafted (or however many skill points needed to reduce the speed penalty considerably). Does that sound like it would be worth it, or should I just use the extra 75 points in toughness or something like that?

I was also considering just dropping dual wield completely and going with two handed maces/axes. Then I could just take hafted to 200 and put the remaining 75 points into something else. Which setup seems more feasible? I'm assuming dual-wield would be higher damage than two-handed in the long run?

Yeah, I thought about pole too, but I've always been more of a mace kind of guy so I think I'll stick with hafted this time around. The only decision now is whether to go with dual-wield, dual-wield/hafted, or just hafted itself. If any of you have any experience with any of those setups, please by all means share it.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of other questions later, but I'll do my best to spread them out hehe :).

Edit: Oh by the way, I was curious about the "Expert Touch" game mode that you can choose when starting a character. How much of a difference does it make on the recharge speed? I'll probably be sticking to one aspect mainly, but I might experiment a little, so would it be best just to go without it?

Edited by Seilan

Well.......

Lets see if I can address a couple things. Dual wield overides any other weapon skill when you equip 2 1-h weapons. Taking Dual wield past 75 points seems like overkill. your attack speed will have maxed by then, so the only other reason I could see is for attack value (chance to hit). The item without penalty bonus from DW will apply to any type of weapon as long as you equip dual weapons( you can even do a axe in 1 hand and club or sword in the other)

I have only 1 character that has ever used 2-H Hafted, and that was the Shadow Warrior....I might be wrong but I am not sure if the Inquisitor can use 2-H hafted. Most of the 2-H Hafted I have ever seen were SW only? that needs verified by one of our other members?

Expert touch in new to Ice and Blood. When a CA is cast the aspect from which it belongs is Re-Clocked to regenerate the CA. However the other 2 aspects remain ready to fire. Expert touch uses the energy from all 3 aspects to re-gen the CA. This can lower the regen of your initial attack by a pretty decent amount. however it will delay you from being able to cast another CA from a different aspect.

Long story short. For a single aspect character expert touch can be a benefit. for a multiple aspect character it can be a pain in the rear.

Well.......

Lets see if I can address a couple things. Dual wield overides any other weapon skill when you equip 2 1-h weapons. Taking Dual wield past 75 points seems like overkill. your attack speed will have maxed by then, so the only other reason I could see is for attack value (chance to hit). The item without penalty bonus from DW will apply to any type of weapon as long as you equip dual weapons( you can even do a axe in 1 hand and club or sword in the other)

I have only 1 character that has ever used 2-H Hafted, and that was the Shadow Warrior....I might be wrong but I am not sure if the Inquisitor can use 2-H hafted. Most of the 2-H Hafted I have ever seen were SW only? that needs verified by one of our other members?

Expert touch in new to Ice and Blood. When a CA is cast the aspect from which it belongs is Re-Clocked to regenerate the CA. However the other 2 aspects remain ready to fire. Expert touch uses the energy from all 3 aspects to re-gen the CA. This can lower the regen of your initial attack by a pretty decent amount. however it will delay you from being able to cast another CA from a different aspect.

Long story short. For a single aspect character expert touch can be a benefit. for a multiple aspect character it can be a pain in the rear.

Ah ok, I guess the "Item without penalty" thing applies to dual-wield too. I was getting that confused with this, "Dual Wield will not unlock weapon attributes that require a weapon skill (like "Attack speed (Sword Weapons)"). To get those, it is necessary to have their respective weapon skill." If that's true, wouldn't it be a good idea to have both dual-wield and an individual weapon skill (like hafted) so that I can get the most out of my weapons, or is it really not that big of a deal later on?

I'm still pretty confused about how some of the skills work. Why is attack speed capped at 75? According to this http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Dual_wield, it looks like the speed, attack value, and double hit keep increasing all the way to 200. I guess I'm still pretty "in the dark" about a few things lol.

Thanks for the info by the way :lol:

Well.......

Ah ok, I guess the "Item without penalty" thing applies to dual-wield too. I was getting that confused with this, "Dual Wield will not unlock weapon attributes that require a weapon skill (like "Attack speed (Sword Weapons)"). To get those, it is necessary to have their respective weapon skill." If that's true, wouldn't it be a good idea to have both dual-wield and an individual weapon skill (like hafted) so that I can get the most out of my weapons, or is it really not that big of a deal later on?

I'm still pretty confused about how some of the skills work. Why is attack speed capped at 75? According to this http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Dual_wield, it looks like the speed, attack value, and double hit keep increasing all the way to 200. I guess I'm still pretty "in the dark" about a few things lol.

Well, attack speed itself is capped at 150% and therefore there isnt any point taking the different weapon lores (including dual wielding) past mastery as you will have already reached the max value. The increase in attack is really irrelevant compared to certain item mods you can socket into gear such as -opponents chance to evade or +chance opponentc cannot evade attack. Double hit...not really worth the skill points in my opinion.

As to the item mods needing the lores to unlock...well...I guess it comes down to whether or not the mods appeal that much to you...most of them are really not worth it though.

Well.......

Well, attack speed itself is capped at 150% and therefore there isnt any point taking the different weapon lores (including dual wielding) past mastery as you will have already reached the max value. The increase in attack is really irrelevant compared to certain item mods you can socket into gear such as -opponents chance to evade or +chance opponentc cannot evade attack. Double hit...not really worth the skill points in my opinion.

As to the item mods needing the lores to unlock...well...I guess it comes down to whether or not the mods appeal that much to you...most of them are really not worth it though.

Ah, I see. I didn't know there was a hard cap for attack speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't weapon lore also increase the chance to hit as well? I had heard that inquisitors particularly needed as much increase chance to hit as possible, although I wasn't sure what made them different than other melee classes in that regard. Double attack seems like it would add a decent amount of extra damage later on, but you guys would know better than me as far how well it performs. I guess the only good reason I could see taking dual-wield to 200 is if it actually increases the chance to hit considerably. Hmm, decisions decisions....

So far the only unlockable item mod I'm aware of is the "attack speed" mod found on some weapons, which would be pretty irrelevant if my attack speed was already capped lol. What are some of the other unlockable mods found on weapons? Are any of them decent?

And thanks Dragon :viking:

Edited by Seilan

The extra hit chance you get through the increased attack from the different weapon lores is rather small...melee combat arts themselves have a higher built in chance that increases even more as you increase their levels, meaning a melee toon that uses their Combat Arts exclusively has less to worry about in regards to hit chance. As to the inquis needing more effort to get the same chance to hit, its not true. Theyre the same as any class, and infact, one of the inquis' buffs can increase his attack/defense beyond values of 100k over time, as well as simply socketing the item mods I mentioned above will help out immensely.

As to unlockable mods...well...I dont use hafted very often, best dual wield weapons in my opinion are officers sabers, 3 gold slots twice gives you 6 gold sockets vs max of 4 for hafted....so yeah, dont know the mods, but personally, I wouldnt pick both unless there was a free skill in my toon. Most of the mods I know of can be found without skill requirements, just at lower values, however its definitely not that big a difference.

Seilan, your going to learn a lot about this game over the next weeks and months of playing. Game mechanics are deep....very deep. just this one topic on chance to hit, attack speed, item mods barely scratches the surface of this game.

It's what makes this game unique with a very high replay value. The story line, game play etc will become stale after a while, but the game mechanics will teach you something new about this game every time you play. An recently we have gotten ourselves into an easter egg hunt that has really sparked a lot of interest in exploring every nook and cranny of Ancaria.

Some guides that I have read and followed that taught me a lot about this game, whether your interested in the build or class doesn't matter. they are insightful.

read anything written by Chattius in the High Elf and Dragon Mage class

read anything written by Dobri in the BFG seraphim and Inquisitor class

Both of these guys are great masters of the in depth mechanics of various builds.

Here is a link to several of the better written guides on SacredWiki Sacred_2_Player_Contributed_Guides

By the way: when your ready to venture into Closed Net on Hard core, let us know. I can meet you in server and get you some gold and gear to get started with. All my characters are nameed Loco's[D.a.r.k] ? . for that matter any of our clan with [d.a.r.k] in the name will be glad to help you with anything they can.

cheers

Seilan, your going to learn a lot about this game over the next weeks and months of playing. Game mechanics are deep....very deep. just this one topic on chance to hit, attack speed, item mods barely scratches the surface of this game.

It's what makes this game unique with a very high replay value. The story line, game play etc will become stale after a while, but the game mechanics will teach you something new about this game every time you play. An recently we have gotten ourselves into an easter egg hunt that has really sparked a lot of interest in exploring every nook and cranny of Ancaria.

Some guides that I have read and followed that taught me a lot about this game, whether your interested in the build or class doesn't matter. they are insightful.

read anything written by Chattius in the High Elf and Dragon Mage class

read anything written by Dobri in the BFG seraphim and Inquisitor class

Both of these guys are great masters of the in depth mechanics of various builds.

Here is a link to several of the better written guides on SacredWiki Sacred_2_Player_Contributed_Guides

By the way: when your ready to venture into Closed Net on Hard core, let us know. I can meet you in server and get you some gold and gear to get started with. All my characters are nameed Loco's[D.a.r.k] ? . for that matter any of our clan with [d.a.r.k] in the name will be glad to help you with anything they can.

cheers

Ha, it's funny you mentioned that because after reading numerous guides and scanning over tons of information on the wiki page, "depth" is certainly one of the words that came to mind :sick:. I remember reading something that an ex-diablo 2 player said about the game, "Sacred 2 is probably about twice as in-depth as diablo 2." and at first glance, I thought that seemed like a fair assessment, but after researching some of the deeper avenues of the game myself, I now see that that was a serious understatement lol. I think 3 or 4 times as in-depth would be closer to the truth.

So far I've managed to pick out 10 skills that I think will work well for the type of inquisitor I'm going for, and aside from being a little unsure about how I should allocate my points in each of them (as well as attributes) I feel pretty good about it. Besides, like you said, there's still a lot I need to learn and I figure that's what the first character is for :P. In any case, at least I have a tiny grasp on how some of the mechanics work, which is a step up from someone coming into the game without doing any research at all. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

As for making a character on HC, I'm sorry to say that I don't think I'll ever be venturing down that path. I just can't imagine how frustrating it would be to die (especially because of a latency issue, power outages, or anything of that accidental sort) and lose all the time and work I put into my character. If it worked in a way that instead of actually losing your character, you lost the HC status and bonuses associated with it and became a SC player, but were at least still able to play your character, I'd definitely consider it, but that would take a lot of the "hardcore" aspect out of it I suppose lol. Thanks just the same for the offer though, really :).

And thanks for the links too; those guides have helped me a ton with planning my own build. Now I just need to put it through the test :).

cheers

+1 To that, if you ever choose to join us in the HC servers.