Does EP skill work like Bargaining?

Well, I was thinking about MF this evening and I remembered Bargaining skill. Not only does the points given matter, but the relation between skill level and character level also counts. Having 80 points in bargaining at char level 25 is not the same as having 80 points at character level 130. Am I right?

I was wondering if the same happens to Enhanced Perception: If we want to get good loot we need to get that skill to thrice our char level value.

Well I'm sure someone will come and disagree,

I am going to say;

No it does not in any experience I have had.

Like MF forged into gear, etc, you just gain the static % value that comes with said level of skill/item/etc.

However, raising EP will of course increase the values of socket and worn items with the EP MF variable.

Now, trading works by comparing character level with item levels, and item tiers, of which a max is set, so the player cannot purchase sets/unique/etc.

Trading skill affects two portions of this equation; tier and chance.

The chance is listed in the skill, and the 'quality' portion of the skill could be defining the 'tier' that is selected, compared to character level.

I.e.

char level 20.

Trade is 40.

Say it gives +20% quality, 20% chance.

The chance would affect the actual appearance of better items, while the 20% quality would be compared against character level to determine what tier they are pulled from.

Drops work off of a modifier on the drop variable.

I am fairly sure THIS is where survival bonus comes in, as it would be the 'level/tier' modifier, but not the chance.

Or, it is probably based on more, like the 'dangerclass' of enemies, etc, where the opponent fought determines the tiers/tables drops come from, and MF again simply affects the drop chance, by reducing the pool/selection range of lower tier items.

I.e.

Say pool is 1000.

white items are 990.

legendaries are 10.

mf is 20%.

Thus, reduce 990 by 20%

= 792.

You now have a higher chance of a legendary.

Cheers,

Say pool is 1000.

white items are 990.

legendaries are 10.

mf is 20%.

Thus, reduce 990 by 20%

= 792.

You now have a higher chance of a legendary.

Cheers,

Id say it probably doesnt quite work like that mathematically...since +100% would mean 0% for white items. Possibly instead they apply the effect to the legendary tier...10+20% means 12/1000 for legendary, 988/1000 for rest.

PS...It would be funny if EP did work like bargaining...get it to 3/4/5x charlevel and only see gold/unique/leg (maybe) items dropping... :) But unfortunately...

Edited by Dragon Brother

I agree with r00.

Considering the number of finds with toons that don't have EP, or only have low EP, it would be fair to say that it is not necessary to have it. Unlike bargaining where almost everything in shops is useless unless you have the skill. EP simply increases your chances of finding the good stuff.

That said, if you can get it to 3x your character level, you should be swimming in good drops.

The other thing to consider,

Is perhaps it works in reverse;

That MF doesn't affect drop rate at all, but more so the quality, or item 'tier' items are pulle from.

This would directly relate to my experiences, now that I think about it more.

Cheers,

I think it was described rather succinctly by antitrust at one point. I will try to find his thread.

Edit: Here we go, Llama's description of how it/item drops works:

I asked the devs & got the following info from them on EP & item drops:

1)a calculation is made as to whether an item is dropped at all.

2)assuming an item drops, a random number is then calculated & what it is determins what quality of item drops (as an example, picking numbers of my ####): for a random number generated between 0 & 1,000, if you roll 990 - 1,000, you'd get a unique item, if you roll 960 - 989 you'd get a set, 920 - 959 & you'd get a rare, 860 - 919 & you'd get a magic item, 0-859 & you get a junk item (each "bin" getting smaller as you go up the item quality scale).

MF increases the size of the unique/set/rare/magic "bins" at the expense of the junk bin. If the chance to drop a junk item reached 0, the magic item bin would be reduced, etc.

That's how item drops work, now onto EP...

EP gives a bonus to Magic Find that affects all item drops from monsters, despite the tooltip not displaying it until you reach the Mastery (& yes, I've posted that as a tooltip bug).

EP Mastery gives you a better chance to find nice stuff from chests/barrels/magical hiding places (as it says that's the "find a hidden compartment" bit in the description).

EP (apparently) helps to uncover invisible foes from a closer distance, though the only ones I'm aware of are in the Unique Mount quest.

EP does not affect the quantity of item drops (it lets you find better stuff, not more stuff, that might be why they moved the "is an item dropped at all" bit out of #2) & it does not help you find more magical hiding places.

Edited by Dragon Brother
Sounds like everyone is finding the common ground.

EP mastery sounds like a winner for chest looting.

Ha, you already know thats for sure :)

We gotta set up some full party runs for those chests, I'll bring the EP seraphim to open the boxes :)

As for EP on console, no idea. Never played the console.

I would imagine it works, but drops are a lot diff. I've heard. They fine tuned them in the addon, so hopefully someone who has played both versions can better answer.

Instead of making a new thread I will ask here.

Does EP increase chance to find better items on X-box 360 or is it bugged to not?

I had EP on my seraphim on Console and at the time I really wasn't in tune to how much "good" stuff I got. I will say that I had 10 characters full of 3 star items and had to constantly sell sets and unique weapons to make room. I only kept 3-star drops. I think the one thing I remember most was the gold. My seraphim with EP mastery used to pick up so much more gold than the other characters I had. And even though I ran 3 seras to level 100, 3 Inqs to 100, and a dryad to 100. I had far more seraphim gear than Inquisitor.

Some days I wish I could go back to XBOX to test some of these great discussion and discoveries that I have learned of since going to Ice and Blood. But, alas, my BOX red ringed on me.

Sounds like everyone is finding the common ground.

EP mastery sounds like a winner for chest looting.

Ha, you already know thats for sure :lol:

We gotta set up some full party runs for those chests, I'll bring the EP seraphim to open the boxes :4rofl:

As for EP on console, no idea. Never played the console.

I would imagine it works, but drops are a lot diff. I've heard. They fine tuned them in the addon, so hopefully someone who has played both versions can better answer.

Furian and I were talking about that last night. Running max number of toons possible with EP mastery into the invisible labyrinth treasure cave... ;D

EDIT: We ran it this afternoon with two toons each in a party...easily enough gear dropped to fill an inventory a time or two...nothing useful dropped, but I feel that if we ran it a time or few more there are bound to be some great drops with that many toons doing it.

Edit 2: Ran it with two of my toons and a kybeles tear...sign of great possibility with them.

Edited by Dragon Brother
Instead of making a new thread I will ask here.

Does EP increase chance to find better items on X-box 360 or is it bugged to not?

I'm "pretty sure" it works fine on both consoles, patched (online) or not. Not something that I would try to test... :)

I have wondered about it lots of times, but just ran an EP-toon lately, and there is definitely more uniques dropping for her than non-EP toons.