Questions on starting a forum.

Llama8

This morning my wife asked me how one would go about starting a forum & while I have a general idea (register a domain/address, find a (free) host & presumably they supply the software), I said that I'd ask you guys since you've done it in the recent-ish past. Do you have any suggestions, advice or any mis-steps that you made on the way?

Quickly for now I'd suggest Zetaboards:

http://www.zetaboards.com/

We stared off with invision free at the beginning

A brief history of DarkMatters

and it was awesome until Schot got involved :viking: He always wants to add more...greeeeeeeeedeeeeeee..

Because of his technical needs we had to go the paid way after a few months. But honestly we could have stayed with invision free for a while... all you do is create an account, come up with a name for your forum... Bingo a few seconds later your message board is up and running, no need to buy url, hosting, forum software, nothing^^

There is also pro boards and Lefora forums... I know some other forum owners from those sites who say they have been happy with their work...but if there's consensus amongst experienced site Admins I'd say its with Zetaboards... you don't have to buy an url or register anything...they provide everything except the content.

If you find that you like what you've set up and want to go the paid way after, there would then be:

• Url charges for purchase and then annual renewal (Us with Godaddy)
  • Initial Forum software purchase (Us with IPB)
  • Hosting (Us with MDD Hosting)
  • Annual forum software renewal (50.00 a year, we pay those to IPB when they send us a bill for 25.00 every six months)

:)

gogo

Hey Llama, it was actually coming from the Url.

For you to change back to non-threaded views look for the options tab at the top right of the thread, and you can get the drop down for your choice.

:)

gogo