SacredWiki Quest Template Revision

In response to Silver's interest in improving the layout of the Quest Template we'll now begin work on it's update. For the moment I'd like us to work on layout proposals via a special proposal page on the wiki; The Farm Owner. Anyone may feel free to edit that page to create what they think is the perfect layout. Don't be afraid to affect other peoples layout design because everything is saved in the history. Or if you prefer you could create your own proposal within your User page.

You can either work on a layout idea by yourselves or work together to combine your ideas into a single layout. I'll let those of you interested decide. Personally I know what direction I would take but I'd like to see what others can come up with. Silver brought up a good point about the template with regards to the header. The header is what is needing the most amount of change. I'd like the header to have the same number of pics as the Place layout. So the largest of the three should be a camera view of the location where the quest begins. The second and third should be exactly half the width of the first so that they can align nicely. Second should be a Tab Map pic and Third should be an "M" map pic. I would suggest something to make it a bit different from the Place layout so maybe the two smaller pics above the first larger one?

Feel free to move anything around on that page. Add another section if you think there is something important to add. Shuffle stuff around. Make it better! :D I'll let this run for a couple of weeks. Maximum amount of time will be for the month but if the progress is quick then I could easily implement things more quickly.

Keep in mind that we need to make sure that everything fits nice inside of a 1280x1024 resolution. I'll likely get the ball rolling with my thoughts on the header and then leave it be for others to edit while I redirect my attention to pressing matters.

Happy editing!

EDIT

Silver's Suggestions:

1. Include specific instructions within template for editors to follow. Image cuts, sizes etc.
  2. Greater focus to the map images in header than the camera view image
  3. Include Quest enemy List - no stats
  4. Dialogues at 430px, cropped with NPC name showing and Accept/Decline buttons
  5. Dialogue frame should be optional depending on cut...
  6. Fullscreen Logbook capture at 300px and framed

Schot's Suggestions:

1. Frame most images
  2. Possibly convert into a "true" template
  3. Float header images to allow below content to move up the page
  4. Build adjustable target image into framing code to pinpoint locations on images
  5. Add Camera view to header
  6. New frame for cropped dialogues
  7. Link logbook thumbnails directly to larger version, bypass image page.
  8. List enemy damage and weakness in Enemy list

Thank you for your attention. As for your header idea, I just wanted to say that for the quest pages the maps' readability is a bit more important than for the places pages. On the place page you just need to get an overview of how approximately this place look on the map, while on the quest page you need to be able to notice that small '?' you need to find while looking for this quest.

I hope you want mind if I tell you some of my suggestions instead of vandalizing this page. I simply have some thoughts I don't know how exactly to put on the page.

1. How about making quest dialogs readable? Not as big as in game, of course, just to make it possible to make out the text. To tell you the truth, I simply find it interesting to be able to compare the page author's description with the actual dialog. If dialogs are unreadable, they are almost unnecessary, since most readers would just read the description on the page that would provide them with all the information about the quest. Why load another screen if you could get the overview from the text that is next to the picture?

2. How about including quest enemies as a template, just like we include them into the bestiary list? After all the enemy's stats are more important to the player than the enemy's name, aren't they?

My pleasure. :) Those are great suggestions Silver. I especially like the point about dialgues. That's something I've done on some pages and I really like being able to read those right on the page. We'll definitely do that. What I would like to do with them is to set a standard size that make the dialogue boxes juuuust big enough to read. Ideally as compact as possible while maintaining legibility. Feel free to suggest a size and in the meantime I'll tinker with sizes and see what I can come up with. I know there are a few pages where I found a really nice size but I'm not sure which. Possibly on the Christmas quest page...

Agreed about your point about header images.

As for including quest enemies I think that would make the page much more informative but I'm worried about what it will do to the layout. I'm sure something can be worked out though. Including them will be a snap which is nice.

I've added your suggestions to the bottom of my first post to keep track of things and I also added some thoughts of my own.

Framing images - self explainatory

convert to "true" template - Somewhat complicated to explain so I'll wait and see if I do it... Basically instead of pasting all the code into the page you would paste something like the Quest Enemy Template:

{{QE
|enemypagename=Abbess Wilgyrien
|enemylinkname=Abbess Wilgyrien
|stats=http://www.sacredwiki.org/images/Sacred_2/Bestiary/High%20Elf%20Quest%20Enemies/HE-AbbessWilgyrien-Stats.jpg
|thumb=[http://www.sacredwiki.org/images/Sacred_2/Bestiary/High%20Elf%20Quest%20Enemies/HE-AbessWilgyrien.jpg http://www.sacredwiki.org/images/Sacred_2/Bestiary/High%20Elf%20Quest%20Enemies/th_HE-AbessWilgyrien.jpg]
|Element=physical
|questpagename=The Abbess
|locationpagename1=Seraphim Valley
|locationpagename2=Tyr Lysia High Elf Region
}}

My third suggestions is pretty much exactly as described. Prevent the header image boundaries from pushing content way down the page.

And my forth is something that just occured to me that I could do inorder to help anyone editing to bring greater focus to exctly the point on a framed map image that we want readers to notice. The idea is simple. I create a green ring image with transparency that can be overlayed on top of framed images. The overlay would be an addition to our framing code bit; S2frame. Editors will be able to add numbers, coordinates, to the s2frame code bit in order to move the green ring around on top of the image being framed. I'll see if I have time for this.

These are really interesting suggestions. I wanted to note some things about them though.

1. Framing images is usually nice, but the log images look a bit strange while framed. Well, the log looks as a book, and a framed book is... strange. That's just my opinion though.

2. The true template is a good and a bad thing for the same reason: it doesn't allow any modifying. For example, while doing NPC pages I don't maintain that 300px+300px for the double maps. I just make them fit into 600px (sometimes 602px) together. Templates that don't allow any altering tend to annoy me a bit. But it must be just me. At the same time they don't allow unexperienced users to make a lot of mistakes. How many unexperienced users contribute to the wiki remains a question.

And by the way, doesn't the Abbess's description look a bit strange here. Her description doesn't match her stats. And one more thing: the whole bestiary seems to be listing the damage done by an enemy before the resistances (just like the game does). Why does the new template use another order?

Edited by Silver_fox

Have a look Silver. I just edited a quest to compare a logbook image without frame vs. with frame. I talked it over with gogo and we both agree it looks much more professional than without.

The true template would be very handy for new editors. Over the years there have been many editors and no doubt there are more still to come so to make things easy for them would be very inviting I think. It's also what a lot of the big wiki's do. Especially gaming ones. The best part about using this kind of template is that if ever we wanted to change the layout I would be able to effect all existing quest pages with a single page edit. This would be of great use to us in general for all types of templated pages.

Oh as for the Template:QE page it's quite different because I made it almost exactly a year ago, haha. It was a test template I was working on though it's never been implemented. Still needs a fair bit of tweaking.

About the 300px+300px for the double maps... That's actually a very important part of the template that needs to be followed. Otherwise we'll have editors choosing whatever size they prefer. Equally important is that the NPC as well as Quest pages are symmetrical for the most part. I hate to insist but for that aspect I have to.

EDIT:

Please keep directly on topic in this topic. Only suggestions regarding what was posted in the first post please. All off topic posts will be sent to never never land.

I checked your page with a framed log and tried to frame some logs myself (didn't save the page though). It really doesn't look bad. But that log experiments produced another point to mention in the template: what to show in the log picture? The one you used as a sample pictures a book, a surrounding, chara's combat arts... that's not necessary, isn't it? Most log pictures show you a book (completely), others picture just its pages without the cover (in my humble opinion, this one looks the best while framed). I think, we should come up with some standart for it and specify it in the template.

And sorry for misunderstanding with that QE template. I just saw it on the 'Recent changes' page and thought that you may be experimenting with a new enemy template too. Later I understood that you just used it as a sample, but the post'd been already written.

Also for the quest dialogs I'd recommend a 400px width. It looks nice for me, but maybe you'd like to reduce it even more. One more question here is whether the dialogs should be captured unframed (like the enemy stats for the bestiary) or completely. The first way looks better in my opinion, but doesn't show the quest NPC's name (which may be useful if the mentioned NPC is not named properly in the quest description) and buttons (they may be named differently than the usual accept/decline but that is a rare occurence).

Edited by Silver_fox

And my forth is something that just occured to me that I could do inorder to help anyone editing to bring greater focus to exctly the point on a framed map image that we want readers to notice. The idea is simple. I create a green ring image with transparency that can be overlayed on top of framed images. The overlay would be an addition to our framing code bit; S2frame. Editors will be able to add numbers, coordinates, to the s2frame code bit in order to move the green ring around on top of the image being framed. I'll see if I have time for this.

Sorry for spamming you with suggestions, but I just type them as they come into my mind. This one is about 'green rings'. The idea itself is wonderful (but I'm pretty sure it'd take you some time), but what about making its colour adjustable too. I'm now going thorough those elven NPCs, and I begin to understand that with all the bright-green maps of Tyr Lysia... I prefer it to be red. At the same time in the lava maze of the Dragon Islands green would be the best colour.

Quest Enemies section.

At one point this was part of the template. See Michel, The Apprentice Blacksmith and The Pirate Cave quests.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Michel,_the_Blacksmith's_Apprentice

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:The_Pirate_Cave

I believe it should be added back into the template and used in any quest where there is a unique quest enemy. An example where that would really be helpful is the Sinister Figures quest where there are five of them.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Sinister_Figures

@Silver:

Logbook

Hmmm, I never thought of how exactly the logbook should be captured. Since most editors don't have graphics software or don't know how to use the software we tend to keep our demands low when it comes to pictures. With logbooks I would say the standard is purely an edited screenshot showing the logbook. I would love it if it were possible for everyone to do it like I did on the In_the_Jungle#Logbook_Entry page but that takes quite a bit of know how. I believe I made a template to cut those out in photoshop. Eventually I'll probably go around to all the quests and start editing the logbooks to schnazz them up but for now just an unedited screenshot with a frame around it will do.

Actually... Scratch that. I think I just understood what you were meaning about "just its pages without the cover". Is the below what you would propose?

samplelogbook.jpg

That would be perfect in a S2frame.

Dialogue Box

I did some testing with dialogues and found something interesting. If you were to set the game window resolution to 1024x768 then the dialogue box would end up being 430px. It's a decent size and since it won't have to be resized the clarity will be perfect. Let's go with 430px. I like the idea of cropping the dialogues like enemy stats but the name on the dialogue box is very important to us for exactly the reason you gave. It outweighs aesthetics for us in this case. Let's crop them as close as possible while maintaining the tabs. In the future I'll make them like the first edit on the Grave Inscriptions page. I have a photoshop template for cutting those out as well.

430px width

chucklatbarlog.jpg

Green Ring Locator

Personally I like the idea of using green because to me it signifies "to go" or "go here" whereas red to me is not quite as directing. However you got me thinking about expanding even further with the locator idea, haha. Granted it's the last thing on my list. I recently had a competing idea which would be to use mini versions of my maps. They would have markers and be draggable, zoomable. Something for the future. It won't happen any time soon that's for sure.

@Ysne:

Ah, very nice. It's funny because we never would have thought of that before. But every since Knuckles created the Quest Enemy section we suddenly have all kinds of uses for it, haha. Great suggestion. We'll certainly make that a part of quests that have quest enemies.

Thanx for the great ideas you two. I'll do my best to implement them into the Template this weekend. :)

Since most editors don't have graphics software or don't know how to use the software we tend to keep our demands low when it comes to pictures.

That is exactly why I didn't purposed a png thing with a book on a transparent background and such... Your log from the jungle quest looks nice, but I really just purposed a thing you pictured below. It's simple enough for anyone to do, yet looks quite nice at the same time. And by the way, I think we should show the screens a player could actually see in game. An edited ones may be really nice, but a bit confusing at the same time, because they leave you wondering about 'how could I get such thing in game?'

In the future I'll make them like the first edit on the Grave Inscriptions page. I have a photoshop template for cutting those out as well.

I wanted to purpose this, but stopped myself due to the same reason of some editors that can't do it. By the way, it may be a bit more tricky with the quest dialogs since their height waries a lot. It would take me less than a minute to cut it in Photoshop even without a template, but others may find it difficult even with a template. On the other hand, now we know all the people who work with wiki. All of us who contributes the pictures can do an editing. As for the people who may come later... self-education never hurts. Such an editing may be done in Gimp and other freeware programs so I don't think the software is a big problem too.

Personally I like the idea of using green because to me it signifies "to go" or "go here" whereas red to me is not quite as directing.

Personally, I like it too. But after applying a green ring to a green map I began to think that sometimes it is good to be able to choose another colour.

Ah, very nice. It's funny because we never would have thought of that before. But every since Knuckles created the Quest Enemy section we suddenly have all kinds of uses for it, haha. Great suggestion. We'll certainly make that a part of quests that have quest enemies.

Actually that was one of the ideas I had while purposing to add an enemy stats some time ago. I just thought that simply listing them by name is not really informative, since many players doesn't care about the names, but about what kind of a creature they would fight. But you are right, we should do at least the simple listing.

I wonder what the template would look like. And I still think that we should list all the required pics (Like: 'you should include the starting dialog, a map showing the final destination, a log picture...' and such). Let's see what we'd get for now, but I think that applying the template to a real pages would produce more suggestions.

Long reply is long... sorry.

Edited by Silver_fox

Since most editors don't have graphics software or don't know how to use the software we tend to keep our demands low when it comes to pictures.

...I think we should show the screens a player could actually see in game. An edited ones may be really nice, but a bit confusing at the same time, because they leave you wondering about 'how could I get such thing in game?'

Agreed, so we'll just use an unedited screenshot of the logbook. Probably a larger size. Between 200-300px. I'll try out some sizes to see what works well.

In the future I'll make them like the first edit on the Grave Inscriptions page. I have a photoshop template for cutting those out as well.

I wanted to purpose this, but stopped myself due to the same reason of some editors that can't do it. By the way, it may be a bit more tricky with the quest dialogs since their height waries a lot. It would take me less than a minute to cut it in Photoshop even without a template, but others may find it difficult even with a template. On the other hand, now we know all the people who work with wiki. All of us who contributes the pictures can do an editing. As for the people who may come later... self-education never hurts. Such an editing may be done in Gimp and other freeware programs so I don't think the software is a big problem too.

If we had a tutorial using Gimp on how to cut the images we would be set. I may have a look at that. For now what we could do is make the standard like the image I posted above but allow anyone who wants to cut them out nicely. If you're interested I could send you the photoshop template I have. It's just a bunch of vector outlines that are properly shaped. There are several different sizes but I usually just use one and change it's height whenever I need to.

Personally I like the idea of using green because to me it signifies "to go" or "go here" whereas red to me is not quite as directing.

Personally, I like it too. But after applying a green ring to a green map I began to think that sometimes it is good to be able to choose another colour.

What may also work is if I just put a black and white outline around the green to make it stand out more.

Actually that was one of the ideas I had while purposing to add an enemy stats some time ago. I just thought that simply listing them by name is not really informative, since many players doesn't care about the names, but about what kind of a creature they would fight. But you are right, we should do at least the simple listing.

Ah! I thought I had read that somewhere else. Yes, now that you mention it I remember we had talked about putting the entire stats of each related enemy on the page. Seeing it as a list does make a lot of sense though. Espeically for Quests that may have a lot of Enemies. Something that occurs to me though is that we could list the enemies but on each of their lines state their damage and weakness. Something like the below:

Brigand Leader Darnak - Damage: Fire / Weakness: Ice

Jerina - Damage: Fire / Weakness: Ice

I wonder what the template would look like. And I still think that we should list all the required pics (Like: 'you should include the starting dialog, a map showing the final destination, a log picture...' and such). Let's see what we'd get for now, but I think that applying the template to a real pages would produce more suggestions.

Long reply is long... sorry.

I'll see about specifically mentioning exactly what is required within the template so editors are well informed when using it. I'll apply the ideas to the proposal page so we can see a live sample of our thoughts.

Long reply but a great one. :)

A little note about the quest dialogs: What about framing? If we cut the dialog, it would have the frame of its own, therefore no additional framing would be needed. At the same time uncut dialogs look less neat while not framed into {{S2frame||}}.

Oh right. Forgot to mention... for uncut dialogues I'm going to see about making a new frame template for those uncut dialogues. I'll use the same frame style the the game uses to frame dialogues. So it'll look like it's double framed using the same graphic style.

Duly noted! :)

I've added our points to the first post and is what I'll be working on. Correct me if I forgot something or misunderstood!

Dangit. Just thought of two more things to consider. How many pictures we should allow per quest. Reason I ask is because of quests like Children and Demons. There are a lot of images and considering we're going to make thumbnails bigger we might need to limit the number of images. At the very least a limit of 2 images per line so that everything fits. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to make that quest work. Maybe I'll use it as the proposal page...

The other thing I just thought of is videos. The Lonely Hyppocampus quest could benefit from a video by showing the tricks it does. Videos are great ways of teaching and it may have a use on quest pages. We already have an extension to allow us to embed videos. Could be good as an option to editors? Not a requirement though.

Your list seems to be OK.

About the enemies: there are very few quests where there are many different quest enemies. Most of the quests have 1-2 quest enemies or ask you to kill multiple instances of the same enemy (like Purification of the Temple for example). The list of one or two points looks quite bad. But at the same time those few quests with multiple enemies are present. So how about something like: 'expand enemy stats for the quests with less then 4 enemy types, list them as you suggested for the quests with 4+ various enemy types'.

About the videos: if we decided to care about the users that have small monitors, we should also care about those who have limited Internet connection. It means: 'no videos for important explanations'. Or they should be doubled by texts with still images. Some extras like Hyppocampus' tricks are nice, but we should prevent the writers from explaining how to solve the quest in the video. Not all the people have Internet connection that is fast enough to load videos quickly and not all the people would like to watch the whole explanation if they only need to know one point from the middle of it. Reading may be much faster after all.

Number of images goes to the same point as 'Include specific instructions for what images should be on the page'. How about the following:

1. Quest giver's location - camera view and two maps in the header, no images in the further text.

2. All quest dialogs resized to 430px - but only one in the row.

3. Destination maps, possible with highlighted way to that place (and probably canera view) - maps together in a double map, camera view separately above (or below) them.

4. Do not include any camera views of the NPCs. They have their own pages after all. No need to double all the images twice.

Another one that has a lot of content on it, but no pictures yet and detailed walkthrough still needs some work on is the HE first chain quest shadow path:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:DeElfici_I-The_Promissory_Note_-_Shadow

Well, I did copy over the ones that matched up from the light side... but most of it is description only.

Edited by Ysne58

One more question/suggestion is about CM-only quests. While with Ice and Blood quests everything is quite clear, since they are located in two new rergions, CM-only quests appear in the same places with the regular ones. How should we show that these quests are CM-only? I wanted to suggest using a specific CM frame you created for CM-only items for the NPC portraits and quests' main camera-views as well. It would show that the NPC or quest would only appear in CM. But if you like the idea, the frame for that view should be optional too.

I'm just working with Sloeford NPC named Chuck Latbar now. That guy wasn't there before CM, so he needs some special treatment. I'd try using CM frame on his NPC page to see how it looks for the NPCs.

Edited by Silver_fox

Your list seems to be OK.

About the enemies: there are very few quests where there are many different quest enemies. Most of the quests have 1-2 quest enemies or ask you to kill multiple instances of the same enemy (like Purification of the Temple for example). The list of one or two points looks quite bad. But at the same time those few quests with multiple enemies are present. So how about something like: 'expand enemy stats for the quests with less then 4 enemy types, list them as you suggested for the quests with 4+ various enemy types'.

The problem with this is that a year down the road a new editor may come along and see a page with enemy stats on it and begin doing the same on all quest pages. In this case I'd like to focus more on written content than graphical presentation.

About the videos: if we decided to care about the users that have small monitors, we should also care about those who have limited Internet connection. It means: 'no videos for important explanations'. Or they should be doubled by texts with still images. Some extras like Hyppocampus' tricks are nice, but we should prevent the writers from explaining how to solve the quest in the video. Not all the people have Internet connection that is fast enough to load videos quickly and not all the people would like to watch the whole explanation if they only need to know one point from the middle of it. Reading may be much faster after all.

The great thing with video is that nothing is loaded in regards to video until the reader presses the play button. So in that sense there is no load time. The only thing embeded videos will load upon entering a page is their thumbnails. In a small way I kind of see videos on these pages as spoilers but then again; if a reader wants that kind of info then we shouldn't deny them. I know that some people will learn from video better than from reading. As a question of aesthetics I think the Gar'Colossus Boss page turned out nicely with all it's videos. What might be of interest is a video of the entire quest... That way we could limit one video per quest page. Just something to think about. I know we don't have many, or any?, video editors at the moment so either way it isn't likely to happen.

Number of images goes to the same point as 'Include specific instructions for what images should be on the page'. How about the following:

1. Quest giver's location - camera view and two maps in the header, no images in the further text.

2. All quest dialogs resized to 430px - but only one in the row.

3. Destination maps, possible with highlighted way to that place (and probably canera view) - maps together in a double map, camera view separately above (or below) them.

4. Do not include any camera views of the NPCs. They have their own pages after all. No need to double all the images twice.

This is a good list.

One more question/suggestion is about CM-only quests. While with Ice and Blood quests everything is quite clear, since they are located in two new rergions, CM-only quests appear in the same places with the regular ones. How should we show that these quests are CM-only? I wanted to suggest using a specific CM frame you created for CM-only items for the NPC portraits and quests' main camera-views as well. It would show that the NPC or quest would only appear in CM. But if you like the idea, the frame for that view should be optional too.

I'm just working with Sloeford NPC named Chuck Latbar now. That guy wasn't there before CM, so he needs some special treatment. I'd try using CM frame on his NPC page to see how it looks for the NPCs.

Using the CM frame is a good idea. We could also put a notice at the top center of the quest page explaining it is a CM only quest.

I haven't had enough time yet to set up the proposal page but we've got great info here. It's becoming very clear now. :)

About the videos: I just wanted to prevent the mentioned new editor from a year down the road from thinking something like 'whoa! I can use videos here, so what's the point of writing any explanation if I can show how the quest should be solved in a video'. That's all. Videos make a nice illustrations. I just wanted to say that we should demand them being just an illustration, not the explanation itself.

On a side note, I made a lot of screens of Chuck Latbar's quest yesterday. I'm going to make some post-processing now and upload them to the wiki. This way you'd get a good test material to experiment, since I'm going to prepare exactly the pics we talked about in this topic.

I'm not sure, whether or not it'd be useful to you, but I prepared all the images we discussed here for The Farm Owner quest. This page is NOT my attempt on a template, just some preparations. I thought that maybe you'd find it easier to experiment with the page that has all the images prepared. Of course you could work with any other quest you like.

But looking at all the images gives an opportunity to imagine what we are planning.

I just put all the necessary maps, camera views, dialogs and logs there. I'll write a detailed walkthrough for this quest later, after a template would be finished. I just did some preparations while gathering images for the quest NPCs.

On a side note: how about making this 'Community Patch Required' note on the CM-frame a bit more noticeable. This text is almost unreadable while put on a bright picture.

Edited by Silver_fox

The categories for quests available on the quest template list are:

Category:Sacred 2 Light Campaign Quest

Category:Sacred 2 Shadow Campaign Quest

Category:Sacred 2 Side Quest

Category:Sacred 2 Chain Quest

Category:Sacred 2 Class Quest

Category:Sacred 2 Quest

There are more categories available and all should be listed on the new template. We need at least two more listed for the regular light and shadow quests. It might also be a good idea to have categories listed for the character specific quests. Some of the quests already are broken out that way if you look at the pages for light/shadow and the character specific ones.

While working with The Farm Owner quest, I had an idea that maybe we should make a description not only for quest enemies, but for hirelings as well. Nothing extremely fancy, just something like that:

== Hirelings ==

Private Rinarn - Mortal. Ranged combat fighter.

Ambul - Immortal. Close combat fighter.

Maid Mathilda - Immortal. Tries to escape the fight.

By the way, I'm adding a small 'Hireling' section on their NPC pages too. Just a brief description of how they behave while you escort them. You may check out the NPCs above to see what I'm talking about. Maybe this opportunity should be mentioned in the NPC template too.

Edited by Silver_fox