Any way to increase fan speed WITHOUT downclocking the CPU?

Sirius

After alot of research and some lucky turn of events, I finally managed to identify the problem that have caused me so much grief as a gamer.

I have a laptop with somewhat limited power.

Still, I like playing games like Battlefield Heroes, Sacred 2, etc.

After playing 10 minutes of either game, my computer steps up and says "NO!"

The issue presents itself in the shape of FAST fan speed and a great decrease in MHZ.

The main problem lies with Windows 7.

In the advanced power options, you can go to "Processor power management" and then "System cooling policy".

There you will see that if "active" it will "decrease fan speed before slowing the processor".

I repeat: Slowing the processor.

Would ANY gamer want that as an option?

This has cause me much grief when running a number of games on my laptop.

Is there any way to increase fan speed WITHOUT downclocking the CPU?

(any help here would be MUCH appreciated)

Just to clarify... This sort of thing happens when the laptop isn't plugged in and you're on battery power only.. Correct?

In which case.. Yeah.. I do have a solution of sorts. And you're not likely to be liking it.

Keep it plugged in...

Games make the CPU and GPU work hard. Likewise with the hard drive. This sucks down juice harder and faster than if the laptop was idle. Ergo, until someone invents a perpetual energy device that's small enough and portable to power a laptop, the only solution for those times when you really want to do stuff that eats batteries like a hot dog eating contest champ - plug it in!

Ah, now, this is gonna stun you then:

My laptop is always plugged in.

I can choose between "Active" which will increase fan speed before slowing down processor,

and "Passive" which will slow down processor before increasing fan speed.

Untitled-3.png

Using a Realtime OS at work and not having Windows7 and the naming looks different. But the manual says: The cooling policy kicks in in case the CPU gets too hot. Then "Fan controlled (= active?)" means that first fan speed is increased and if this is not enough the CPU is clocked down to prevent more heat that may destroy the CPU. "Clock controlled (= passive?) settings slows down CPU right away because their might be no fan, a constant speed fan, a dead fan(dust), water cooling ... So the heating up of the CPU is stopped right away, without waiting for a result by fan speed controlling. Waiting for something that isn't there might destroy the CPU.

Is their no help menu for Windows7 in which case you use a passive setting? I have a fan-less machine at work so setting is passive automatically, the motherboard reports to the OS there is no fan.

Not sure if I got all that, Chattius.

I just wanted to eliminate the CPU downclocking so that my games will work.

I don't mind the fan noise.

Isn't the fan supposed to cool your CPU without killing the speed?

The thing is, if the increase in ffanspeed can't cool enough for preventing your CPU from turning into toast, your computer thinks that it is actually wiser to slow down the CPU (it's that or getting roasted)

The thing is, if the increase in ffanspeed can't cool enough for preventing your CPU from turning into toast, your computer thinks that it is actually wiser to slow down the CPU (it's that or getting roasted)

+1. The computer is set up to not allow it to go over a certain thermal threshold and so if cooling isn't enough it throttles the cpu. Sometimes CPU fans can get dusty and don't work as efficiently as they are meant to, especially on a laptop where there is very little room for airflow to cool the essentials. Perhaps investing in a laptop cooling pad if you intend to use the laptop as your main gaming device, they are usually usb powered from what I've seen and you sit the laptop on top of them.

I actually have a cooling pad.

A real nice looking one with three fans and blue LED lights.

It does it's main job, which is lifting the computer a couple of inches so that air can move more freely.

I have also cleared the fan for dust.

This is very frustrating, as I bought this laptop about two years ago at a quite high price.

Will the same thing happen if I switch back to Vista? (which is my laptop's default OS)