Painful Puns

Well, Ysne, that was rather sheepish... <groan>

A marathon runner without footwear suffers the agony of defeat. <cheer> doubly funny because not too many marathoners could actually win an event without shoes...

-inscription on a statue in the TG starting area

Edited by essjayehm

A marathon runner without footwear suffers the agony of defeat. <cheer> doubly funny because not too many marathoners could actually win an event without shoes...

. . . Unless he is Abebe Bikila at the 1960 Olympic games in Rome.

Bikila won the marathon barefoot. He won it again in Tokyo, 1964 -- but wore shoes that time.

Bikila won the marathon barefoot. He won it again in Tokyo, 1964 -- but wore shoes that time.

Glad I worded my post the way I did :)... but I was actually thinking about a specific Africian tribe that, according to a documenary I sawWilliam Shatner's "Weird or What" show, some members can routinely run for 24-48 hours straight (ie between tribal communities), without any type of footwear at all... apparently it's all in the preparation and technique.

EDIT: Remembered the source of that factoid...

Edited by essjayehm

Zola Budd was also a fantastic runner who didn't wear footwear. She was South African, but ran for a short while under the GB banner ( I think it was because SA were still banned at the time ) She had that famous clash with Mary Decker at the 1984 Los Angeles olympics. Got her feet stomped and bloody, IIRC.