My personal Sacred 2 mod wishlist/heartaches

Hi There.

First off I'd like to give some background. (Skip this part if you just want to get to the point)

Ever since I can remember, I've been a pretty hardcore ARPG fan, and aside from all the "Well-knowns" like Diablo; Dungeon Siege; and Titan Quest, I fell in love with the original sacred the very day I got it. But regardless of it's amazing immersiveness, it, like Sacred 2, has some major setbacks, that if avoided, could make it one awesome game.

If there are any modders that could give any feedback on some of the points I'm about to mention, especially on if and how it's fixable, I'd be very gratefull. I myself have done some serious modding, mainly in the combat art area, and I know many of Sacred 2's features are pretty hardcoded. Though I must admit, I have little to no knowledge on any other fields then the spells.txt edits.

Things I'd like changed:

1.Cooldown/usage animation on Health Potions.

The lack of some kind of limitation on the health system really contributed to my dissapointment in both sacred games. Plain and simple, it made it far too easy. I need to be challenged. There's no fun in spamming spacebar.

2. Spell Hotkeys bindings/Spell slots linked to weapon slot.

I HATE that unlike sacred 1, sacred 2 lacks the ability to use F1-F8 (I think?) as keybinds for spells. To be blunt, I feel sacred 2 already has too few combat arts(well, usefull ones for that matter), and the fact that they force one to only choose 5 of those already few spells, only changable upon opening of the combat urt window, is mind numbing.

As mentioned after the slash, what I think would also be a nice alternative, is for each weapon slot to have it's own set of 5 combat arts. Like when the vampiress transformed in Sacred 1. This way you could choose a set of spells that compliments differant weapon sets you use.

3. Set/Uniques not being "Unique" at all.

Something that's always dissapointed me about both sacred games is that you could find any set/unique item's visual model on a standard white or blue item. That really makes it feel unimpressive when you actually pick up a set helmet for example, and not 2 minutes later you see a wothless white text version at the vendor with the exact same appearance. Brakes my heart. Another thing I dislike is something sacred 1 actually had. Any of you who completed a set of armour there would know that most of them gave truely unique bonuses upon completeion. For example, the "Dark Damage" on a Vampires set, and "Celestial Damage" on a Seraphim Set, and permanent Auras on both Battlemage and Daemon. Specially cheer to those weapons with the set rigs, that had chance to proc spells on attack if all the rings were socketed inside of the set weapon.

Really miss that in Sacred 2. Made sets really rewarding to complete.

4.Combat Art/Spell Balance

I can mod alot of these myself. But to test them from level 1 - God knows what, is very difficult and time consuming. Problem is alot of the spells I find to be borderline useless. Perfect example would be the Dryad's twisted torment. Just a horrible spell.

If I think of any more, I'd galdy come back and edit. Forgive me if I offended anyone. Don;t get me wrong, it's out of pure love for this game that I point out it's flaws. And it is simply my opinion.

Thanks for reading, and please post if you have anything to add. I'm happy to read.

In response to 1...potions were nerfed in this game in comparison to S1, they produce lesser effects if you try to spam them, having said that, they are still easy to chug to save your life.

2) Spells/Combat Arts...personal preference I guess, use combos for more spells is all I can suggest. You can bind weapon slot 1 with ca slot 1 and so on though.

3) Totally with you, sets/uniques would be cooler with unique skins, but the game already has alot of detail, and since legendaries are the only ones that look like they do thats some consolation.

4) CA balance...always going to be subjective, one mans trash is another treasure. Twisted torment for example, 1st place in a combo, mod for dropping heads and use against a boss to stack the effects for greater chance to get a gold head to drop.

I doubt you will offend everyone, people enjoy giving their opinions on things.

Hi There.

First off I'd like to give some background. (Skip this part if you just want to get to the point)

Ever since I can remember, I've been a pretty hardcore ARPG fan, and aside from all the "Well-knowns" like Diablo; Dungeon Siege; and Titan Quest, I fell in love with the original sacred the very day I got it. But regardless of it's amazing immersiveness, it, like Sacred 2, has some major setbacks, that if avoided, could make it one awesome game.

If there are any modders that could give any feedback on some of the points I'm about to mention, especially on if and how it's fixable, I'd be very gratefull. I myself have done some serious modding, mainly in the combat art area, and I know many of Sacred 2's features are pretty hardcoded. Though I must admit, I have little to no knowledge on any other fields then the spells.txt edits.

Things I'd like changed:

1.Cooldown/usage animation on Health Potions.

The lack of some kind of limitation on the health system really contributed to my dissapointment in both sacred games. Plain and simple, it made it far too easy. I need to be challenged. There's no fun in spamming spacebar.

There is already some limitation. Your first potion will, as the item description reads, give you the full benefit (50%, 70%, 100%) health restoration. Spamming heatlh pots only reduces their effectiveness. The thing to do - use alternate means of healing. Like a good LifeLeech weapon or the class specific healing spell (Dryad Goldenglade Touch, Seraphim Hallowed Restoration, Temple Guardian Charged Grid) if available.

2. Spell Hotkeys bindings/Spell slots linked to weapon slot.

I HATE that unlike sacred 1, sacred 2 lacks the ability to use F1-F8 (I think?) as keybinds for spells. To be blunt, I feel sacred 2 already has too few combat arts(well, usefull ones for that matter), and the fact that they force one to only choose 5 of those already few spells, only changable upon opening of the combat urt window, is mind numbing.

As mentioned after the slash, what I think would also be a nice alternative, is for each weapon slot to have it's own set of 5 combat arts. Like when the vampiress transformed in Sacred 1. This way you could choose a set of spells that compliments differant weapon sets you use.

Sacred 2 already has that - for those characters that can transform (Dragon Mage, for instance). When he becomes a dragon or dragon berserker, his skill set and CAs change for the duration of his transformation - just like the vampiress. The problem with your second suggestion (multiple CA sets for each weapon slot) is that it would be really confusing. Say you accidentally switch from your first slot to the 3rd. Suddenly that CA you were looking for (Goldenglade Touch, for instance) isn't in the slot you had it on for the first weapon. Whoops. You just got killed because you used something else. In the heat of battle, the last thing you need to do is to locate your spells.

3. Set/Uniques not being "Unique" at all.

Something that's always dissapointed me about both sacred games is that you could find any set/unique item's visual model on a standard white or blue item. That really makes it feel unimpressive when you actually pick up a set helmet for example, and not 2 minutes later you see a wothless white text version at the vendor with the exact same appearance. Brakes my heart. Another thing I dislike is something sacred 1 actually had. Any of you who completed a set of armour there would know that most of them gave truely unique bonuses upon completeion. For example, the "Dark Damage" on a Vampires set, and "Celestial Damage" on a Seraphim Set, and permanent Auras on both Battlemage and Daemon. Specially cheer to those weapons with the set rigs, that had chance to proc spells on attack if all the rings were socketed inside of the set weapon.

Really miss that in Sacred 2. Made sets really rewarding to complete.

Eh.. If they made every single item unique in appearance, the game would likely suck up another 5 GB. The three class aspect related sets for each character already give a somewhat unique bonus as each class has unique aspects.

But all is not entirely lost. The CM Patch IS adding a lot of new, and in many cases, unique armor sets (The Armaments of the 9 Hells for the High Elf, for instance). The next version will introduce some new sets as well.

4.Combat Art/Spell Balance

I can mod alot of these myself. But to test them from level 1 - God knows what, is very difficult and time consuming. Problem is alot of the spells I find to be borderline useless. Perfect example would be the Dryad's twisted torment. Just a horrible spell.

One man's "useless" is another man's gold mine. I used to feel that way about the Inquistor's Mortifying Pillory. You accuse one of your attackers of being the most vile of heretics and his buddies attack him, instead of you. Every time I tried it - nothing really happened. Useless. But that isn't the case. Ker's god spell summons a Sakkara Demon. He does your bidding - beating up whatever you have him attack - until he gets tired of it and starts attacking you. That's where the "useless" Mortifying Pillory comes in - you tell the Sakkara demon to attack the dragon (or other big bad boss monster) by accusing it of the most heinous crimes and keep spamming MP on your target until it's dead.

The moral of this - just because you haven't found a spell useful, doesn't make it so. There IS method to the developer's madness. Yes, some spells are kinda weak, not the most useful. But then again, if they made EVERY spell useful, Sacred 2 wouldn't be much of a challenge and you'd wind up being bored and hating the game.

If I think of any more, I'd galdy come back and edit. Forgive me if I offended anyone. Don;t get me wrong, it's out of pure love for this game that I point out it's flaws. And it is simply my opinion.

Thanks for reading, and please post if you have anything to add. I'm happy to read.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I would like to be added is a 'yes/no' option for Skills/Attributes/Rune Creation as in 'Do you want to select/put points in this Skill/Attribute?' or 'Do you want to destroy these Runes to create (Insert Rune Name) Rune?'

At the most at least put in a re-spec so players can correct mistakes.