Pratfall -> German Easteregg?

While posting in the related word game I discovered a possible new easteregg:

Reinfall is german for pratfall

But Rheinfall is german for rhine falls. Europes biggest waterfall:

800px-Rhine_Falls.jpg

Compare with this picture of Pratfall

main325.jpg

Now I want to know who Libi is , and what pratfall he had.

Also a thing to researched: the diving bell quest near blue stone lake.

The Rheinfall gets it water from the Bodensee (lake constance). I see no connection to Bluestone-lake, a small perhaps (my french is nearly non existant): The french partnertown of the german town Konstanz(Constance) is named Fountainebleu.

Diving bell quest:

2006/7 diving bells got a tourist attraction at german coasts.

220px-Seebruecke_zinnowitz.jpg

It was considered to build one at lake constance too, but the project was cancelled in 2008, any relations?

Multilanguage-Homepage of the Tauchgondel (diving gondola)

http://www.tauchgond...frontpage&mid=1

The diving bell really may be a reference, but I have a question - when exactly the project was cancelled? That's just because in Russia Sacred 2 was issued in the beginning of October 2008. Since our localizers spent several months for translation, the german game texts were probably finished in the beginning of the summer.

And it'd be interesting to find out who Libi was.

The Diving Bell thing - sounds like a possibility...

But as far as Libi's concerned... I'm not so sure. That link is a a PDF that is talking about a supercomputing cluster in Italy that's used, judging by the PDF as something to process DNA. Think genetic sequencing.

A Pratfall in English is a comedic element where the comedian trips and falls in a humorous manner. Chevy Chase was the master of the pratfall when he was on Saturday Night Live way back in the 1970's...

Not entirely sure how a supercomputing cluster could possibly trip and fall in an amusing manner. It doesn't exactly make sense.

Not entirely sure how a supercomputing cluster could possibly trip and fall in an amusing manner. It doesn't exactly make sense.

Maybe not the supercomputing cluster. But Waterfall and Pratfall rhyme

We could be close...something we're missing?

:D

gogo

In german Reinfall had the original meaning to fall into something: be it dirt or this nice stuff cows drop at their back end. Modern use of the word is more like a flop or a non-starter - an idea which failed. As so often there is no exact translation. My old latin teacher used to say: translation is like crossing a river. The exact meaning is just on the other side of the river. But to ge to it you use a ferry, and the water streams don't allow an exact transition of the word.

I wouldn't stick too close to the writing Libi too. Perhaps it was a Libby and they didn't want to make it to obvious that one of her ideas failed. Or the Ascaron embloyee Andreas Liebeskind found close to it was nicknamed Libi for his family name. We can only guess at the moment.

I think it started with the waterfalls looking like the Rheinfall, then someone made a joke about a Reinfall (flop of someone) and then Reinfall was translated as pratfall in english.

In german Reinfall had the original meaning to fall into something: be it dirt or this nice stuff cows drop at their back end. Modern use of the word is more like a flop or a non-starter - an idea which failed. As so often there is no exact translation. My old latin teacher used to say: translation is like crossing a river. The exact meaning is just on the other side of the river. But to ge to it you use a ferry, and the water streams don't allow an exact transition of the word.

I wouldn't stick too close to the writing Libi too. Perhaps it was a Libby and they didn't want to make it to obvious that one of her ideas failed. Or the Ascaron embloyee Andreas Liebeskind found close to it was nicknamed Libi for his family name. We can only guess at the moment.

I think it started with the waterfalls looking like the Rheinfall, then someone made a joke about a Reinfall (flop of someone) and then Reinfall was translated as pratfall in english.

Ya know... The 2nd suggestion makes the most sense... Andreas Liebskind is the employee who is standing smack dab in the middle of the falls. Seems he was part of the Level design team. Maybe it was his pet project?

Edited by wolfie2kX

As far as I know Andreas Liebeskind was/is a music composer? He is mentioned in the music for some games.

Schleichfahrt (Silent running?) a u-boat game. Music of Schleichfahrt at you-tube and he is listed as one of the composers.

A site which collects a lot of data about games. A good start place to search for games some person did:

http://www.giantbomb.com

http://www.giantbomb.com/person/

http://www.giantbomb.com/andreas-liebeskind/72-99348/

Regarding these Falls, what if we kept it simple such as notes regarding possible meaning. Chattius said it in a way that would be pleasant as extra notes :

Reinfall is german for pratfall

But Rheinfall is german for rhine falls. Europes biggest waterfall:

That could/would be enough and informative...it's definitely got some relevance.

Anyone second me on this?

:D

gogo

Yes, keep it short for the moment. For me, playing the german version, I read Reinfall and thought what a nice play with words with double meaning and thought everyone who think the same. --- But when reading the related word game hippocampus I was puzzled why the area in english was Pratfall which had nothing to do with water and then it hit me: Pratfall was just one of the words listed at Reinfall in the dictionary.

• 10 years later...

Everytime I do the epic office quest I wonder if Libi Is Andreas Liebskind and if yes, where did he fail. Reinfall and Rheinfall sound same in German and it must have a meaning.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, chattius said:

Andreas Liebeskind seems to be the treasurer of an Museum for old computers and old electronic games now. His email there is interestingly libi@....

If he is the same Libi's Reinfall could really be about him.

https://www.m-e-g-a.org/

Omgod … LOL maybe one of the devs Had him as their favourite librarian!

Terrific research chattius ! Maybe I should email him to have them show up here to see whether he’s the real guy or not 😀

🏄

gogo