Game of Thrones (Beware, may contain heart-breaking spoilers)

Katran

I've become obsessed with the intro, and I actually like what I'm seeing as far as the first part of 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series goes. It was also seeing this that I finally realized the story that an old friend of mine had read and talked about. He talked about a series of fantasy novels he had read with characters and plot twists and the like, including a certain climatic scene involving Ned. I finally know after years what he was talking about.

Hehe I started reading the books this august as well. Found a great deal on all four online. And after reading the first and starting the second I have an even greater love for the show. At first I didnt get what the talk was about, about stretching the show but they havnt done that at all. As fare as season 1 being the first book it was done perfectly. I just love how they did the script even the lines they say are true to the book. just perfect.

As for the intro I have to agree with you I just love it. Its probably the best tv series intro of all times. If you take a closer look at all the details it tell the full story of what happened before the books. And the fact that it changes from episode to episode as the events or places change just perfect. :D

As for the intro I have to agree with you I just love it. Its probably the best tv series intro of all times. If you take a closer look at all the details it tell the full story of what happened before the books. And the fact that it changes from episode to episode as the events or places change just perfect. :D

Kat, I didn't notice... what a great discovery! lol, I'll have to go and dig out earlier episodes now to see this happening. I do love the series too...where would you rate this against Battle star and Serenity? Par , better lower? I know you love 'em too, curious to see how you rank them against this.

:)

gogo

Kat, I didn't notice... what a great discovery! lol, I'll have to go and dig out earlier episodes now to see this happening. I do love the series too...where would you rate this against Battle star and Serenity? Par , better lower? I know you love 'em too, curious to see how you rank them against this.

gogo

Ohhhhhh Thats a hard one.:)

Ok here how I look at it first they are all very very different types of show hard to compare. I cant put a number 1 and 2 but I will tell you who I thinks would be last thats BSG in my book. You will go :o you loved that show! well yea I did but the way I feel about BSG is first 2 seasons or so great got that great dynamic shock factor and everything. After that they lost there way wanted to touch to much topics to much questions and in the end you where like whaaa? So they dropped the ball. The worst is that I dont want to go back and watch BSG again and that in my book is a big downer for a show that I dont want to go and rewatch it again.

Serenity this one is a true gold I have watched it over and over and over and it never gets old even when I know every episode I can still go back and watch it again. That says a lot about a show. It had a one of a kind style that smells of steampuk which was fresh and new and is still to this day. Great humor and very rich characters with a perfect missmatched family dynamic. The space camera that people loved in BSG was developed and pioneers in Serenity. Shame it got shut down by execs that lack vision. I can number two more shows that got cut after the first season like this by bad execs The Gates and Kings. I would have loved to watch those shows as well.

So last would be Game of Thrones I may love SF but I do love fantasy and history styled shows. Since I loved the bold take on shows like Rome and The Tudors Game of Thrones was a must for me got to love the Dune style of plans within plans story plot. The cast is great very strong and the narrative stays very true to the book and they must have some very talented adapters in there team because I would have added only 2 more things in the show just to make somethings more clear. And the intro oh that intro you just got to love it with the map models and every house shield show in the castles the artistic sun with the rings around it telling the story from the rise of the Dragons and how it ends with all animals kneeling to the stag. :D In my book its a fantasy based Dune so far I will know more once I read the rest of the books lol.

So to sum it up cant pick a number one to different to rank but at list I know what I wouldnt go back to see again lol

I never managed to get through BSC, but I did like Serenity and Firefly. :) And I have to agree, it's hard to gauge something when the shows are very different, especially with Firefly and Serenity being a space cowboy show, to Game of Thrones, a grounded fantasy series.

As far as the intro goes, I was obsessed to the point where I went searching also for cover versions. =3 Found a rock version, a violin version, and a mashup of both. =3

• 4 weeks later...

I think HBO offers the best in mini series I mean Band of Brothers, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones and many others thats why they remain unbeatable. This series reminds me off Lord of the Rings, the cinematography, the cast, the music everything they even got a dwarf cute little fella a lil vulgar most of the time but I like him his like the comic relief in the show. Well nuff said I'm goin to watch this show series till the last episode. One more for HBO :woot:

I'd recommend you then read the book, darkeidolon. I saw the series and thought it was amazing, and then read the book and picked up on all the small background details I missed (and many they didn't have time to describe in the series).

• 1 month later...

Somehow I managed to pick up the novels in the series thus far, and as yet to finish reading A Game of Thrones. I am, on the other hand, undecided between the TV series and the novel so far. Some things I thought were better in paperback. Others, I found worked better in the series. Both are quite good... decisions, decisions...

Don't decide! Run both destinies concurrently within your heart as being wonderful. The reading of the series for me had a profound impact. I'd never really thought I'd like anything like that before, but the amount of detailing that went into the series with all of the characters, places and drama, just kept me going. I'd never been into anything like that before, and it was delightful to be interested in something like that which took me by surprise...

The tv series actually took me some time to get into, but once you let the characters have a chance they get grown in good.

C'mon second season GOT ...get goin why don't you !

:whip:

gogo

• 5 months later...

So, anyone watching series two? Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister continues to amaze in my opinion, but they have drifted from the book. I suppose it remains to be seen if they try to fit book three into ten episodes.

I'm so excited for this! The last episode was devastating and epic. I love the theme, looking forward to seeing it's unique interpretation via the maps every week again.

The return!

gogo

So, anyone watching series two? Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister continues to amaze in my opinion, but they have drifted from the book. I suppose it remains to be seen if they try to fit book three into ten episodes.

Yes, having read a good portion of A Clash of Kings, season 2 does seem to differ even more so far, though it still remains relatively faithful to the book. I have to say that I am still liking the series, but compared to the first season where I was undecided, so far I prefer the novel over the series. Maybe I just haven't read far enough into the series just yet, but knowing Stannis' personality compared to Renly and Robert, especially given he is far more rigid when it comes to morales, that scene with Melisandre and Stannis just didn't seem right. The novels delved deep into how much of a sad character Stannis is and why he was such a rigid man via Maester Cressen, something the episodes couldn't or didn't bother to capture. And the exchange between Tyrion and Slynt, while still good, just seemed more abrupt, not showcasing enough of Tyrion's wit I find. Still, I'm gonna follow the season while hopefully being able to get through the rest of the novels without skipping the chapters (I tend to skip through the parts involving, say, Sansa or Bran, just to get to the chapters involving Tyrion, Jamie, or Arya.

Edited by Aegis

Definitely going to watch Season 2.......eventually. I don't subscribe to HBO so I have to wait til it comes out on Netflix or something. I have read all the books (twice) and just waiting for the 6th book, The Winds of Winter now

Yeah, have to agree with you Aegis. What was only implied in the book was delivered in HBO style glory for us all in episode two. I think the two need to be viewed as separate entities, the television production and the books. I am wondering how they will do book three, given that it was broken into two parts for paperback.

As a closing note, Peter Dinklage rules! (And so does Tyion...)

Edited by Steerpike1

Yes, that seems to be the one constant in the series. :D I'm liking Peter Dinklage/Tyrion more and more. ^^ I skip chapters in each book just to read all about Tyrion. o.o

• 1 month later...

And series three is now planned. In an interview on Radio 4 (UK), George Martin said he intended the two (paperback) volumes of the third book to form separate series. If HBO make it as he intends, then we shall have two series made out of the third volume.

Edited by Steerpike1

Really? If that's the case, I wonder if the same would be done for A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons, given the timeline on those two novels happen around the same time as I recalled.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the last three all at once. Amazing. I think Peter D is fantastic. He's pushed the boundaries and has become the most surprising heroe I ever thought I could root for. Reading abut him was entertaining, but seeing him being acted out is inspiring.

I'm spamming this series to everyone at work, go GOT!

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Something I gotta say of the series is how different certain characters have been portrayed compared to the novels. In particular, Shae. Last I had checked, she wasn't that cool. She was, as far as I knew, mere eyecandy that so reminded Tyrion of Tysha who's speech must always include 'my Giant of Lannister' in there. The series version of Shae, however, was given a brain and some survival instincts. That, and her affections for Tyrion come off less of an act and more genuine. Compared to the books, I actually like Shae. I've only read bits and pieces of the following novels so far, but I am curious as to how the series will handle things compared to A Storm of Swords.

• 4 weeks later...

I read the books a few years ago and loved them and the series has become addictive as well we all know when books go to the big or small screen things certain aspects of the characters do change but all in all they have done a pretty good job in keeping a great majority of the book in the series and I cant wait for more though they do seem to have at least one scene an episode with either nudity or brothels but that is HBO's idea of attracting an even bigger audience I guess...........

• Like! 1

I think I read up to book four of this series. I lost interest once the author switched the point of view to the bad guys of the first couple books. It was a cool twist and thought the author was very brave in what he did but it was not for me. Tried watching the series but there didn't seem like there was anything new or different to the story (could be wrong though since I only watched 3 episodes). I'm just hoping that having a series like this and The Legend of the Seeeker series paves the way for the creation of a Wheel of Time T.V. series. If you're looking for a sci-fi fantasy series that can't be beat, in my opinion, try reading the Wheel of Time series from Robert Jordan. Last book comes out the end of this year!