Game of Thrones (Beware, may contain heart-breaking spoilers)

Katran

Time to do some necroing...

This series has been on my to watch- list for quite some time and finally started it with a friend over the weekend. Going to watch the last 5 eps of season 2 next weekend, both got totally hooked to it. And I instantly fell in love with the theme.

Gotta admit, it's full of most deranged and sick characters I've ever seen. Would gladly throw Jaime and Jofffey of the Wall to name some.

Pretty sure I'll be getting my hands on the books in waiting of the third season.

New addiction has risen. :butcher:

• 2 weeks later...

eeeeeeeeee...when's it coming out! The book series was one of my favorite reads ever...never thought I could get into any kind of "soap"...but the characters really rule this series.

Didn't think at all I would get into the series, but dang...they picked good actors!

:)

gogo

If there's ever more "soap" like this, I'll be all ears. :P

Books arrived yesterday and man, that's really a bunch of literature. Gonna take some serious reading to chew 'em down.

Still, there's some nice time as season 3 is scheduled to start 31st of March 2013.

And gotta agree with the actors, Gogo. Some really nice pics there. Hoping it gets even better, if possible with 3rd season, seeing what a smash hit it became.

Juha, I remember the heft of the first book I had read in the series...huge. I remember also thinking that there was no way I was going to get through it... all those words! :lol:

however...once in past the first few chapters, the plight of the stark family is too compelling. This series is top five for me with fantasy reads, and I envy your delightful journey.

Enjoy!

gogo

• 1 month later...

Okay, broke down and ordered this one. At least I think it's this, as mine will be somewhat cheaper. But I read from the description it'll include all the bonus materials and a dragonegg paperweight. No need for an actual paperweight, but I'm sure it'll be nice addition to the few collectibles that float around here. :)

Kinda had a break with the second season, and I think I might postpone it to the release of the BD-collection late next Feb. Got it reserved and all. Might be a good thing to read down the books first.

Only around 300 pages in the first book and it really feels already better that the series, which really is understandable. And I'm sure I'll be wanting a reference book later, when the characters multiply. At least I heard there'll be such a thing.

• Like! 1

That's an incredible purchase! I actually never had my hands on third book and after, but this looks like a possible purchase for me if I can get my hands on some second hand collections.

Waiting for that new-book crackle and smell when you open up that box?

Sheer delight

gogo

• 3 months later...

It's your fave, or not, necro around again. :P

Few possible spoilers below. Just to notify in case.

Got the second season's BDs today. It think I'll be marathoning it tomorrow. Just too sleep deprived to start today.

Got around reading the first book, finally! There was so many things robbing some attention from it. >_<

Also, started the second book and noticed it's really better underlayed than the series. Memory's a bit hazy, but if I recall correctly for example Melisandre just appeared out of nowhere in the series, whereas she's brought into the scene right from start.

That, or I really missed something watching the series the first time.

Game of Thrones life size replica Iron Throne.

00373634-484680_catl_500.jpg?k=9f6115f3&

"The Game of Thrones Iron Throne is unlike anything you've ever seen before. This custom chair is designed to mimic the seat of kings in the Seven Kingdoms. On the show, the Iron Throne was constructed by Aegon I Targaryen, the first king of the Seven Kingdoms. He made it from the swords surrendered by his enemies. Legend has it, it's made of a thousand swords that took 59 days to hammer out into a throne. Spikes and jagged edges in every direction make this one very intimidating lounge. Our version is constructed of hand-finished, hand-painted fiberglass and fire-proof resin that's been twisted and turned to re-create the Game of Thrones design. Now's your chance to own this very special custom-made piece of furniture that, by all appearances, is more closely related to art. Extra large in size, it measures over 7' in height, close to 6' in depth and 5.5' in width. Calling it "impressive" is an understatement."

http://store.hbo.com/game-of-thrones-life-size-replica-iron-throne/detail.php?p=373634

All for a paultry sum of $30,000. Any takers?

I remain, :crazy:

Edited by Etherian
  • Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Once again while surfing on youtube, we stumbled upon this video. Watching this made me think of what it would be like to be a highly skilled blacksmith. Being able to craft anything out of metal would be an amazing skill to wield.

A very skilled process in the making of a Game of Thrones sword.

I remain, :butcher:

An amazing super power

Ever noticed how "crafts" are being passed down less and less in generations?

Is more prevalent schooling letting more kids "pick" crafts instead of just lucking out on what their family did?

Need a lot of physical constitution to be a good smith huh ^^

gogo

Six more days to go. Dum, dum, duuum. :D

Tho, I don't have subscription to any service showing it firsthand. Don't mind, really. Better to watch it all in one piece, than writhe in agony through cliffhangers. Well, that's at least how it is for me. :P

And yep, smith's gotta be strong. Why else would be be depicted as strong as oxen, and the like. :) Would be really great to have the skills. It'd be tad hard to find a master for an apprenticeship. At least around here...

ah ha...I know that feeling! Sometimes I love to grab an entire season, and just sit back and gorge until I'm fulll... and yer right, no having to wait on horrible cliff hangers is great...specially when you have nail biters as good as the ones from this series.

Let the count down go faster!

:mafia:

gogo

I'm working my way through seasons one and two on blu ray at the moment, in readiness for season three beginning on Sky Atlantic on Monday (in the UK it premieres a couple of days later than in North America). I'll be watching it and enjoying the cliffhangers as the series progresses...

• 1 month later...

After watching Episode 7 of S3 tonight, I think where the last episode is going to take us.

To avoid as many spoilers as possible, I'm only going to post two words to write down my guess. Those words are:

Red Wedding.

Those who've read the books, know what I mean.

Those who haven't read the books; wait and see. It's going to be worth it.

Anyone who's read the books thinks the same:)

And while we're at the subject of the books; anyone here read "The Hedge Knight" and "The Sworn Sword"?

Thorin :)

the last episode with Theon was so painful to watch...course it's super horrific because the author's letting us think out most of it.

where does he get these ideas!

:oooo:

gogo

the last episode with Theon was so painful to watch...course it's super horrific because the author's letting us think out most of it.

where does he get these ideas!

:oooo:

gogo

Yeah, painful it was indeed. Even I had to swallow for a moment when it happened, as if I was feeling his pain too.

As for where the author got his idea's...

Well, that's not too hard.

There's this book for instance.

Another way is to think what you would do to hurt someone as much as you can. Often the things you know are painful to you, are painful to somebody else as well.

And finally: If you're familiar with medical school or know about first aid, you can reverse the knowledge to save someone's life to hurt that person.

It's likely one of those three, combined with the "What if..."-question most writers have popping up in their head once in a while.

Spoiler warning:

As for the season's ending: I think the other cliff-hanger is going to be the "Assault at Castle Black". Including the rescue by Stanis.

eeeeeeeeeee, theon... :oooo: And ...dunno, but wasn't this last episode a tad on the boring side? Is this what they call the requisite character development episodes?

:crazy:

gogo

p.s. A wild looking book, Thorin. Dunno if I could put up with the resultant nightmares that have to come with it. o_O

I think last weekend's episode was a bit tame, because we're going to get a major cliff-hanger this season. Problem is, I can't write much about what I think is going to happen - which is based upon the books - without spoiling the fun for anyone else.

So........

The more I'm watching the show, the more I'm convinced we get the "Red Wedding", the "Assault at Castle Black" and an "Angry Tyrion".

These three events happened about the same time in the books as well and it would be a great cliff-hanger.

As for Theon....

He'll be back.

However, rumours are he's currently working at this song.

Thorin :D

hahahah poor Therion, that song's just so cruel and awful Thorin! :whip:

Yes, im sure the red wedding's coming around as the cliff hanger ending...will last episode be longer than the usual one hour?

gogo

You're probably going to know that before I do.

The series is broadcasted in the USA (NA:)) on Sunday and on Monday in The Netherlands (dunno about other European countries). Meaning you got a chance to see it before I do.

What I find odd is that there isn't an episode this Sunday / Monday. I thought it was because of some event in the US, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps one of our US based members could fill me in if there's something special happening at May 26th:)

As for that song....

I could have said it was Ser Jaime or Brandon was the one who's working at it, but somehow it felt more "right" when it was about Theon. Not to mention: I like those kinds of jokes about a "double meaning" a lot. Problem is, English isn't my native language, making things a bit harder to understand once in a while. Or keeping me out of trouble because what I meant was misunderstood.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Season 4 - and season 3 hasn't even ended yet! - because of what is going to happen. I'm in particular looking forward to Arya's journey, as well as that of Samwell, because I got the feeling those two are going to play a big part in the future books and thus the TV-series.

It's not so much May 26th.. It's the whole weekend - Monday the 27th is Memorial Day - so it's a long weekend... As such, many people take off as it's also the "official" beginning of Summer Vacation. This is in spite of the fact that many schools are still open for another week or two. Therefore, most networks do not program new material for the weekend. Most program reruns and movies en masse because they're expecting people to be gone.

• 1 year later...