Game of Thrones (Beware, may contain heart-breaking spoilers)

Katran

Well, as a long time fan of the books (over 10 years ago), I'm finally hooked on the show. I watched all 4 seasons a few months ago.

This is because I always told myself I'd watch the show when it caught up to the books, and with this season, it basically has. I want to know what happens, one way or another. Apparently GRRM told the show writers the plot developments all the way to the end of the saga so they can continue on even if the books aren't published yet. :woot:

Have you seen some of the remixes? Really catchy and epic stuff (no spoilers).

• Like! 1

Well, as a long time fan of the books (over 10 years ago), I'm finally hooked on the show. I watched all 4 seasons a few months ago.

This is because I always told myself I'd watch the show when it caught up to the books, and with this season, it basically has. I want to know what happens, one way or another. Apparently GRRM told the show writers the plot developments all the way to the end of the saga so they can continue on even if the books aren't published yet. :woot:

Have you seen some of the remixes? Really catchy and epic stuff (no spoilers).

I've been a huge fan for maybe 9 years. It's funny, thought of the series as my little secret, noone was really into at at the time because they didnt have such huge release... and let's face it...the draw of this series is it's "soap operaishnes"

Haven't really looked at a single thing from GOT 5 yes, hoping to keep my mind virginal and fresh for all the delicious goodness that the creators have been holding out for us for so long... but I did read, as you posted, that the books from now on, are going to run separately from the series... JOY!

Didn't catch the viewing last night, but will today... did you like it Flix? I'll discuss and get back to this thread when I watch it today.

:)

gogo

I saw episodes 1 & 2 (the latter was leaked somehow). I have to say, they were a bit dull by comparison. Instead of plot lines coming closer together, they seem to be getting further and further apart (aside from Stannis and co. at the Wall).

For most characters, we're covering books 4 & 5 simultaneously (the last books published). What I recall from those books is the plot spinning its wheels and nothing really happening until the climaxes. The most interesting stories were those of Arya and Jon Snow, and that seems to hold true in the show as well. Arya getting ready to train as a Faceless one, Jon Snow trying to adapt to his new position at the Wall, while being under Stannis's rule.

In other words, so far, the series is setting everything up for more interesting stuff to happen later. A lot of characters who were on a steady rise are getting ready for a fall. Many characters who have been at rock bottom are ascending.

• Like! 1

I had the same feeling about the first episode. But so far all first episodes of every season has been a bit dull, perhaps to "warm up" the audience.

What I'm in particular curious about is Tyrion's journey to Mereen - best quote of the show so far: "Can I commit suicide with my drinking while traveling to Mereen?" - and the event about one of the persons involved in the "Red Wedding" and the acts of revenge of that person.

What I did notice is that they've already begun drifting away from the books a bit. Varris for instance remained in Kingslanding in the books; thus leaving those who remained wondering who helped Tyrion to escape; while in the series he travelled with Tyrion instead. Personally I think doing so is a mistake, as Varris was one of the key-figures in Kingslanding.

Thorin :)

• Like! 1

I saw episodes 1 & 2 (the latter was leaked somehow). I have to say, they were a bit dull by comparison. Instead of plot lines coming closer together, they seem to be getting further and further apart (aside from Stannis and co. at the Wall).

For most characters, we're covering books 4 & 5 simultaneously (the last books published). What I recall from those books is the plot spinning its wheels and nothing really happening until the climaxes. The most interesting stories were those of Arya and Jon Snow, and that seems to hold true in the show as well. Arya getting ready to train as a Faceless one, Jon Snow trying to adapt to his new position at the Wall, while being under Stannis's rule.

In other words, so far, the series is setting everything up for more interesting stuff to happen later. A lot of characters who were on a steady rise are getting ready for a fall. Many characters who have been at rock bottom are ascending.

I'm looking at the first episode as an investment in a magnificent pay off. Game of thrones is really good at this, and it comes from the pacing of martin's style. He's not quick to go anywhere, takes a long time crafting journeys, but when you arrive at his often-gristly "solutions" to his story lines, I'm more than often satisfied.

Did the first episode go slowly? Ayup

Just makes me more hungry for tonight!

I had the same feeling about the first episode. But so far all first episodes of every season has been a bit dull, perhaps to "warm up" the audience.

What I'm in particular curious about is Tyrion's journey to Mereen - best quote of the show so far: "Can I commit suicide with my drinking while traveling to Mereen?" - and the event about one of the persons involved in the "Red Wedding" and the acts of revenge of that person.

What I did notice is that they've already begun drifting away from the books a bit. Varris for instance remained in Kingslanding in the books; thus leaving those who remained wondering who helped Tyrion to escape; while in the series he travelled with Tyrion instead. Personally I think doing so is a mistake, as Varris was one of the key-figures in Kingslanding.

Thorin, actually kind of happy they're drifting from the books a bit. I was hoping that a stalwart devotion to the books exactly would give me no satisfaction with the glory of surprises. And there are definitely some great re-routes from the book that shocked and pleased me.

Wondering and kind of frightened that they've created a new kind of beast with supreme guidance from RR Martin, with the luxury of knowing they can add twists to cut us up for pleasure and pain!

:crazy:

gogo

I'm not sure if I like them deviating from Martin's books or not.....There have already been several small differences I've noticed, though none are critical to main plots. I had read all the books before the series came out and have been waiting soooooo patiently for the next (6th) one to finally arrive....the last one, the 5th, A Dance with Dragons came out in 2011.

So I see HBO' series quickly passing where Martin is at in the next year or two...so some creative license is inevitable. But the more I think on it, I would rather the series stay true to the books as much as possible. I like seeing what I imagined come to life. But now it sounds like I'll be following two different series, like one each from a parallel universe...just not sure if I'll like it.

That said I'm immensely enjoying both the books and the tv series. I have been disappointed so often with book-to-tv adaptions, that Game of Thrones was a major and happy surprise.

Has anyone read Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' series? The books were great but the tv adaption was complete rubbish. I couldn't make it through even two episodes. Half expected Game of Thrones to follow suit...But after just watching the opening credits, the detail and innovation that went into the interactive map, I knew I was going to be pleasantly surprised.

Ugh, kind of rambling again....will stop now :P

Bring on that ramble... we be fans!

I've enormously enjoyed both series and books as well. You know, it was years and years back when I first happened upon the books...and right off the go from the first one, I was not only hooked but just astonished that something like a soap opera esque book could be interesting to me. Perhaps it the aging process slowly setting in, but it pleased me and had me going with a ferocity looking for the next book. Course, the amount of heart breaking deaths and plotting took me by surprise, with the Lead stark's beheading at the end of the first book being one of the most disastrously heart wrenching moment in my reading career. It set the pace for the rest of the reading though and I was happy.

The release of the movies, while different, was not something I thought I would enjoy, and I can remember long moments in the first season when I'd have a sullen, and glum feel in my heart, always knit picking and looking for moments of difference from the books just to point and say "That's crap... not Canon!'... but those moments became rarer and rarer, and I began to subsume a new way of appreciating two completely different products, both very good, and the series offering me the extra bonus of being able to be surprised.

If RR Martin is still offering the prime guidance with the series, I can feel in my hear that what I'm watching is "Game of Thrones," and with that sentiment set down pat, I'm thoroughly ready to accept what comes , while excited for the 'approved" denouement.

And ... Terry Good Kind's book series, absolutely stunning.

The tv series... Ghastly!

In fact, I probably must have been like you Knuckles, gnashing my teeth in terror wondering if something as completely disrespectful of the amount of lore, creative thinking and sheer imagination put into that series would be mirrored with GOT.

The beginning, whole credits with the intricately designed map, wood-esque beginning was an absolute delight and starring moment in my day, and who didn't fall for that stunning sound track.

Part two placed for us last night, and what I feel for was how many story arcs they were running at once, but with how much speed the arcs were running, while actually shooting a tremendous amount of content at us... not one arc last night let me down...and that final climactic visit to Deneris SPOILER SPOILER SPOILERS...

SPOILER...

from her lovely roving child...

Love this series!

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

I loved the Sword of Truth series as a teen, in fact I thought books 1-6 were the greatest thing ever written at the time. After that I think it devolved into a vehicle for the author's politlcal and moral philosophy. Telling a good story seemed to take a backseat to making a point or teaching a lesson. It was as if the story and characters were only there to serve the message, like a parable or allegory. Looking back I realize he started it as early as book 5. Book 6 was anti-communist propaganda in fantasy form, and when none of the main characters even appeared in book 7 until the last couple pages (after a long arduous "moral lesson"), I gave up. I saw snippets of episodes when it aired but wasn't really interested by that point.

I hadn't yet understood that there was truly great fantasy out there yet. I knew Tolkien, Goodkind, and Robert Jordan (interestingly enough though Wheel of Time series still holds up for me as an adult).

Episodes 3 and 4 are leaked now as well.

• Like! 1

Not to go too far off topic but I have to agree with you on book 7...though set in the same universe it was a completely different story that tied in very loosely with the original books... Heck it was kind of like the Sacred 3 of books for me lol

Really lost interest after that one though I did read it to the conclusion of the Jagang conflict. I have the other books written since then but thy simply collect dust, haven't read them yet.

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

I know this started as a game of thrones thread but people mentioned other books. I'd like to leave you with two of my favorites.

The black jewels trilogy

The death gate cycle

Both are fantasy and both are amazing.

• Like! 1

Not reading this thread...la la la

just got back from vacay and gonna see the ones I missed tonight... not reading this thread... la la la...

Will report back tonight!

:bounce:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

DONOTREADSPOILER DONOTREADSPOILER DONOTREADSPOILER DONOTREADSPOILER DONOTREADSPOILER

wHAT..... Shireen ...what? Holy Hannah!... I dont understand the reason, the logic, the the humanity.....

I hate the world!

:oooo:

gogo

It doesn't make sense to me. I remember Stannis's army getting annihilated by Ramsey at Winterfell. So either they're going to make Stannis win instead, in which case I officially don't even know what I'm watching anymore, or they're still going to have him lose, in which case the burning was a completely pointless brutal death of a beloved character (still alive in the books) for no reason at all.

I fully expected Stannis to stop the burning, thereby losing the "lord's" support and going on to lose the battle at Winterfell.

Well, so far each season had its "shocking" moment, but last night's moment certainly was the most shocking one. Still, I'm missing a lot of the last two books in this season. Think of the events at the Iron Islands and the "avenging witch" - as I believe she was called - who quite fast became a PitA for both House Lannister and House Bolton.

What did surprise me - or perhaps I read over it in the books - was the effect Jon's sword had at the White Walker. Or better said, the effect it had at the weapon of the White Walker.

I wasn't aware that sword was made of Valyrian Steel; making me wonder where third sword of that particular kind of steel is, since Brienne is wielding one as well. (Reminder: Brienne got it from Jaime, who got it from his father, who mentioned it was reforged from the weapon of Ser Ilis Payne, who took it from Ned Stark after he got captured and decapitated)

And for those wondering why I think there are THREE Valyrian swords; think of this:

- There are THREE houses fighting for the Throne of Westeror: Targaryen, Lannister and Baratheon

- Three Houses have been removed to get the crown of Westeror: Stark, Greyjoy - though then never had the intention - and the one "Mad Lisa" (Catherine Stark's sister) was from.

- There are THREE dragons

- There were THREE Targaryen's living when events started; though only one still lives

- The last THREE kings ruling entire Westeros were murdered.

So...... who's got the 3rd Valyrian sword?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Thorin Oakshield

Well, so far each season had its "shocking" moment, but last night's moment certainly was the most shocking one. Still, I'm missing a lot of the last two books in this season. Think of the events at the Iron Islands and the "avenging witch" - as I believe she was called - who quite fast became a PitA for both House Lannister and House Bolton.

What did surprise me - or perhaps I read over it in the books - was the effect Jon's sword had at the White Walker. Or better said, the effect it had at the weapon of the White Walker.

I wasn't aware that sword was made of Valyrian Steel; making me wonder where third sword of that particular kind of steel is, since Brienne is wielding one as well. (Reminder: Brienne got it from Jaime, who got it from his father, who mentioned it was reforged from the weapon of Ser Ilis Payne, who took it from Ned Stark after he got captured and decapitated)

And for those wondering why I think there are THREE Valyrian swords; think of this:

- There are THREE houses fighting for the Throne of Westeror: Targaryen, Lannister and Baratheon

- Three Houses have been removed to get the crown of Westeror: Stark, Greyjoy - though then never had the intention - and the one "Mad Lisa" (Catherine Stark's sister) was from.

- There are THREE dragons

- There were THREE Targaryen's living when events started; though only one still lives

- The last THREE kings ruling entire Westeros were murdered.

So...... who's got the 3rd Valyrian sword?

Any thoughts?

On the show the third sword was given to joffrey as an engagement present from his grandfather. He used it to chop up the history book tyrrian gave him. Jaime git the long sword and joffrey got the short sword. They were made from melting down one larger sword like jon snow has. That's why there's three now instead of two.

• Like! 1

I wasn't aware that sword was made of Valyrian Steel;

I wasn't surprised. I'm pretty sure Mormont tells Jon all about the sword when he gives it to him. He wanted to give it to his son Jorah but of course he's exiled.

For some reason I expected the sword to wound and then melt the Others when it hit them, like the obsidian. It's been a while since I read the books, but I didn't think they just shattered in a puff of glitter. It seemed like it was a death that really hurt when they got hit by dragon glass.

I know Ned's sword was reforged into the one-handed sword of Jaime and the shortsword of Joffrey. However, it you take Jon's (former Mormont's) sword and you take Ice; which was Ned Stark's; and both are longswords or 1 1/2 handers; there's still a third (long)sword somewhere around.

Question is; which house got it?

Based upon the locations of the first two, my guess is it's in the Northern Kingdom as well. Especially considering its effect at the White Walkers.

Meaning House Bolton, House Tully or House Frey are having one; although they don't know it.

However, that's probably something we'll read about in one of the final books, or see in one of the last seasons.

This series is one of the best and the Books are beyond epic adventure, love action and comedy all wrapped into a fantastical story who could ask for more.

I believe there are several Valyrian swords out there...just only a few have been mentioned....Since Valyria ias long since vanished and with it the knowledge of how to make them..so only the rich can afford to own one of the few that are left....I bet most major houses/lords have one.

Plus don't forget there's a Valyrian dagger out there somewhere that Littlefinger/Tyrion had at one point

And about Shireen...as a father of a daughter I would rather be flayed a hundred times by Ramsey Bolton than ever put my daughter in harm's way....Stannis has definitely slipped into insanity

• Like! 1

Actually in the show when Jamie's father gave him one of the two swords made from melting the larger one he stated that there were only two or three left in existence. I don't know about the books. So that would just be theory crafting.

I got a little curious as to how many are out there (either in book or tv) so did a quick search and found this:

All from the Game of Thrones Wiki page

According to legend, Valyrian steel was forged with spells and dragonfire.

• Like! 1

Which ones are concretely established on the show besides Jamie's joffrey's and Jon snow's? And the dagger that's now lost? I haven't read the books so that didn't matter to me.