What To Put In Gold Sockets?

I just got one beauty of a sword called the Officer's Saber. It has 3 gold sockets, and I just don't know what to do with them.

I'm playing a hybrid caster Inquisitor. What should I put in the Sword? I have a Signet Ring that does +10% Fire...but I feel that's kind of nooby.

I spec in AS and NN at most with little GI, but then again, I use GI all the time.

Side note: I also received these 2 swords called Sword of the Blood Dryads and Boneslicer and honestly don't know which 2 to dual wield.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I get the Officer's Saber rather regularly, but the great thing about gold sockets is that you can socket anything in there. :cow_white: If you can't shop for decent amys and rings, just socket whatever you have and don't mind loosing later on. I mean that if you un-socket, you get to keep only one of the socketed items. If I don't have a ring or amy that suits me just right at the moment, I just socket a rune or blacksmith art, until something better comes along.

I just got one beauty of a sword called the Officer's Saber. It has 3 gold sockets, and I just don't know what to do with them.

I'm playing a hybrid caster Inquisitor. What should I put in the Sword? I have a Signet Ring that does +10% Fire...but I feel that's kind of nooby.

I spec in AS and NN at most with little GI, but then again, I use GI all the time.

Side note: I also received these 2 swords called Sword of the Blood Dryads and Boneslicer and honestly don't know which 2 to dual wield.

Welp.. What I did with my last Officer's Saber - I socketed 3 Viperish Disease runes into the sockets. Given I'm playing a Temple Guardian, that didn't do too much for me - but when you socket runes - the secondary effect on those runes comes into play. Viperish Disease - as the rest of the Dryad's Cabalistic Voodoo CA runes - has a +x Life Leech bonus mod.

But you're playing the Inquistor - which is a good thing - all of the NN CA range also have a +x Life Leech mod. I'd go with any one of those.

Remember, runes are relatively cheap compared to other socketable hardware. Should you put in a couple of those and then use a nice damage bonus ring, or higher value item, you can still pull that item, lose the runes and not sweat it quite too much. Just remember, if you want to redo something or upgrade to a better sword - pull the high value goodie out first!

I find that Officers Sabers drop fairly frequently on my ps3, although they always seem to be high level.

The obvious goodies are +All Skills and +All Combat Arts. Other good choices are Death Blow, runes and blacksmith arts.

ahh, the delicious strategies of what to do with three gold sockets... so much possibilities, and so much gambling!

If you socket your three best damage rings in it...and next day u find an even more wonderful ring... attempting to take even ONE ring out of your sword will get you that one ring, but lose you the other two.

Oh, the pain!

Course...you could always elect to only put one ring at a time, and never socket the other two...but you wouldn't get the benefits of those yummy gold sockets. I almost never use an officer's sword as my battle sword...usually always for casting a buff...this way I never have to make painful choices^^ What I'll usually do is make sure I have a niobium trader...put only one real ring in, and make the other two smith arts niobium level damage runes. If you pull that one ring out, the two runes will stay...this gives max flexibility with great damage. Course as you get higher in levels, the damage coming from the percentage rune multipliers coming from the smith runes begins to diminish because of the total number of damage multipliers coming from your much increased CA levels coming from your set items. At that point, you'll have to start playing that pick and choose and pain game and begin to choose hard damage rings with good secondary characteristics. At that point, changing even one ring can cost you all the other jewelry you have in our sword., but this is one of the game's chalenges. Course having a high level blacksmith around helps with a better chance of pulling out rings safely too.

:)

gogo

I find that Officers Sabers drop fairly frequently on my ps3, although they always seem to be high level.

The obvious goodies are +All Skills and +All Combat Arts. Other good choices are Death Blow, runes and blacksmith arts.

Death Blow on the PC (Ice and Blood) doesn't work too well. It's one of the things nerfed in Ice and Blood. Better selection: Regeneration per Hit. RpH will offset high regen times quite nicely - provided you can hit your opponent. And you really don't need super high RpH items to almost completely recharge a 3 - 4 second regen time. Maybe 0.8 or so and one or two hits (depending on the weapon) will fully recharge it. It won't do anything about cooldown times, however.

I almost never use an officer's sword as my battle sword...usually always for casting a buff...this way I never have to make painful choices^^ What I'll usually do is make sure I have a niobium trader...put only one real ring in, and make the other two smith arts niobium level damage runes. If you pull that one ring out, the two runes will stay...

I agree about using the Officers Saber as part of a buff suit. I try to put a good amulet or ring that boosts the buff, plus two buff runes. I am not sure what you mean by "the two runes will stay". When you unforge a weapon, you keep one of the socketed items and loose the rest.

Death Blow on the PC (Ice and Blood) doesn't work too well. It's one of the things nerfed in Ice and Blood. Better selection: Regeneration per Hit. RpH will offset high regen times quite nicely - provided you can hit your opponent. And you really don't need super high RpH items to almost completely recharge a 3 - 4 second regen time. Maybe 0.8 or so and one or two hits (depending on the weapon) will fully recharge it. It won't do anything about cooldown times, however.

Death Blow works just fine on the consoles. I had forgotten about RpH. If you are going to melee, that works wonders.

I am not sure what you mean by "the two runes will stay". When you unforge a weapon, you keep one of the socketed items and loose the rest.

It's a good trick. Try it with an item with a bunch of sockets. If, let's say, you have three sockets in an item...put in one powerful ring, and choose any of the smith runes for the other two sockets.

If you pull out ring, the other smith runes stay stuck in there. The only way to get rid of the Smith runes, actually, is to sell the item and buy it back. So...there is a big cost with this trick, but this ability for smith runes to stick was intended to make socketing in Sacred 2 even more interesting.

gogo

I just tried it. I socketed a Battle Stance and 2 Whets. I removed the Battle Stance and I once again had an empty Officers Saber.

Edit:

That may different between the console and pc versions.

Edited by lujate

You have to test with a piece of jewelry and two smith runes. Trick works with that. I just tested now and it works

smithsocket.jpg

And...I just put in a CA rune and two smith runes... I was able to pull out the ca rune, and still two smith runes were left in the sword.

I am playing on PC... maybe different on Consoles? I don't remember. However... because smithing does not work on cosoles...didn't they make it easier for stuff to be pulled out?

:unsure:

gogo

I just tried it again, twice. Once with an amulet and once with a ring, with the same results.

I did not play the pc version long enough to actually unforge anything, so I cannot compare the two platforms in this regard. Here is how it works on my ps3. I go to the npc blacksmith and select a non-equipped weapon or armor. I select what item to remove (blacksmith's arts cannot be selected). I hit confirm and the selected item moves into my inventory. Everything else, including blacksmith's arts, are deleted. The loss of the blacksmith's arts was never a major issue because you could always buy more.

I just tried it again, twice. Once with an amulet and once with a ring, with the same results.

I did not play the pc version long enough to actually unforge anything, so I cannot compare the two platforms in this regard. Here is how it works on my ps3. I go to the npc blacksmith and select a non-equipped weapon or armor. I select what item to remove (blacksmith's arts cannot be selected). I hit confirm and the selected item moves into my inventory. Everything else, including blacksmith's arts, are deleted. The loss of the blacksmith's arts was never a major issue because you could always buy more.

On the PC, it's a bit different. When you remove one item, the only thing that doesn't get wiped out are the blacksmith arts. In fact, it's pretty much impossible to remove blacksmith arts - short of selling the item to the blacksmith (or another merchant) and then buying it back.

But this is a console discussion.

OK.. I'll grant you that... However, the OP's profile info says he's on a PC... I suppose it won't hurt to cover all bases until we get clarification.

OK.. I'll grant you that... However, the OP's profile info says he's on a PC... I suppose it won't hurt to cover all bases until we get clarification.

Really? For pc, I would not recommend Death Blow, since AFAIK it does not affect spells.

Really? For pc, I would not recommend Death Blow, since AFAIK it does not affect spells.

Good... So now we're in agreement. :D

• 2 years later...

Talking from the pov of a melee seraphim or sw player, I get plenty of officer sabers, but I usually either put them in the player chest or sell them. However, the few times I decide to use them, rph and damage rings are the first things that come to mind. Especially once you hit platinum, one rph ring gives me all I need, plus I end up getting some good damage rings often. It's hardly a sacrifice for me whenever I need to change up the saber now and again with my own simplistic approach.

Edited by Aegis
  • Like! 1

These officer's are so useful/awesome..it's interesting how something SO need/useful and valued was ( and I agree with most here) dropped so often...

to you think they had figgered this all out...that they had calculated this unique to drop so often that it was meant to be a part of builds as figgered out?

gogo

I am playing an untwinked character (no help from other toons: gold, runes, items, forging)...

I like to stack offensive modifiers on swords. So I would put 1 ring of -evasion in the Officer Saber and 2 runes of my primary offensive combat art. You could also do -evasion in one and 2 whets. By the time the Saber is obsolete it won't matter that it is 'dirtied' by the lower level whets. So say you finish silver and now you got this saber with 2 silver whets? You can resell and buy back or you can just wait for a better weapon to drop which eventually will drop because the Saber will eventually be much lower level than the character.

So that's for untwinked.

For twinked just go wild with niob whets and put one jewel from your shopper. With gold from niob toon it is no problem selling and buying back.