What is the latest big real life project you started?

Today is my first day at my new job, I'm super psyched, and excited, but also a bit nervous(what if I'm not what they expected?). But just living in the beautiful Cape Winelands are already worth it. will post pictures later on, but it is scenic mountains, and vineyards, and the area is soooo green!

Delta!

Today is my first day at my new job, I'm super psyched, and excited, but also a bit nervous(what if I'm not what they expected?). But just living in the beautiful Cape Winelands are already worth it. will post pictures later on, but it is scenic mountains, and vineyards, and the area is soooo green!

Delta!

Congrats!! Hope you enjoy the Cape, maaan :sun: Remember getting out of bed before 9am is considered a felony... :oooo:

Delta!

Congrats! Hope you enjoy the Cape, maaan :sun: Remember getting out of bed before 9am is considered a felony... :oooo:

Thank you, the Cape is wonderfull, but unfortunately work starts at 7:00 in the morning already. what a shocker for me, I used to get up at 8 to be at work at 10:00 only! But working at Delaire is sooooo worth it, the stuff I'm learning is brilliant! I'll post pictures in Good food we serve at the restaurant soon, but so far it is only desserts.

Delta!

zomgod, Theuns, it sounds like you've run off too retire to some lush wine land where delicious chef-cooked foods grow on trees?

:o

gogo

P.s. Tell me about the plating test. Do they make you plate a food item from your own repertoire, or do they show you something on their own menu that they want you to see if you can handle? Are you presenting yourself as a desert mainly cook or as Savory as well?

• 4 weeks later...

The whidow of my best friend asked me to put names on old pictures from the time before she met him. I started with the first concert I visited with my nowadays wife, my friend and his then girlfriend: Fury in the Slaughterhouse. We drove there with motorbikes and put up tents and a campfire before we returned.

Won't forget these days:

I had a guitar. a harmonica and a tamborine with me. Had a sidecar on my bike,so I had some room. We sung some of the Fury's songs, mainly 'Radio Orchid'. It is a fantastic song for campfires,but rarely played on radio.

Ive started planing to make my knight armor, I'm wish to join medieval reenactment groups all over Europe and set my self as a good example of knightly conduct and skill.

My first task was relatively simple find a reliable blacksmith who shares my passion for medieval arms, then convince him to help me. The biggest hurdle I have now is getting enough cash to make the project a reality.

First I wish to make a sword, a templar great helm, a pair of gauntlets and sabatons.

To give you a idea the helm looks like this...My link

The greathelm and sword arent mine, but the chain mail is, and to give you a impression as to how hard it is to be a knight that chain mail weighs 15 kg.

Edited by Lord Marius
  • 10 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I had a dislocated shoulder several time 12-20 years ago. A surgery solved this. For the several rehabs I got my own shoulder-chair, a CPM machine, continous passive motion robot.

Mom fell short before x-mas as I posted somewhere else. Needed an implant for her upper leg and the humerus is now a big mess of plates and screws. The rehab has one CPM but several people needing it. So she can use it only 2 times a day each 15 minutes. The docs, med students, nurses in my family said that she need way more time with the CPM.

We looked after my CPM stored in the barn: still working but a way too big. I shortened the metal arm with a laser cutter at work, calibrated the engines and re-wrote the software together with our second who studies orthepedics and arteficial limbs. My wife did a plastic model of the arm of my mom and a 3D printer did a soft perfect fitting cover of the metal arm. Our oldest and her husband worked on a programmable control for the shoulder-chair: now including controlling of TV, radio, sun covers of windows, ...

All in all took 4 days and she needs it for at least two more month.

• Respect! 1

You always have these amazing project chattius I woud not know where I would find the time!

No grand projects here... Just a whole backlog of little ones. :B6nFRAh: Sometimes I wish we hadn't bought a house.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

You always have these amazing project chattius I woud not know where I would find the time!

No grand projects here... Just a whole backlog of little ones. :B6nFRAh: Sometimes I wish we hadn't bought a house.

An own house is actually a big real life project. If you think you did the most - laws will change and better isolation, more modern heating and whatever are demanded. And with an house under cultural heritage this will result in lots and lots of paperwork with different authorities. Germany is a third world country in this, they all rely on paper which has to be done by the owner instead going digital and exchange the data from authority to authority. No, they are old school and send a paper demand to the owner as it was done 250 years ago when our house got its nowadays shape.

The CPM robot was more a whole family project, my own contribution was a single saturday morning at work for the cutting and adapting old stepping engines to a Raspberry Pi interface.The Raspberry was used in science classes at the schools of my kids. So our oldest and her husband did the user interface. The movement limits data was calculated by our second who is in orthopedics, my brother as an engineer did the savety certification, ...

The project was cut in pieces and each piece done by another person.

• Appreciation 1
  • 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Well I might as well share the news here. We're going to have a baby this November... So yeah, big project :lol:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Timo oooooooooooooh, thats so awesome!!!! Congratz my old friend now, new daddy gonna be!!!

:hugs:

gogo

• Appreciation 1
  • 4 months later...

Congratulations Timo. Hope the mother and the baby are both doing well. And you? Getting enough propper sleep?

c'mon Timo... share share share...he'll be one of our youngest members yet! Wait... I think Llama posted an ultra sound when he had his first kid years ago!

:heart:

gogo

Nice

Never had the luck(?) myself to design the interior of a house. Old beast was build before there were any norms and is under cultural heritage. So we normally repair the perfect fitting old furniture.  Only the kids rooms are new. Were former cow stalls.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2024 at 4:08 PM, Delta! said:

Congratulations Timo. Hope the mother and the baby are both doing well. And you? Getting enough propper sleep?

Our little guy could not wait to get out, Tam's leave was about to start when her water broke. He was born 3 days later, almost 5 weeks early. They spent 2 weeks in the hospital, there was some medical stuff after,  but all well and good now. Just getting used to a constant lack of time and sleep :) 

On 1/27/2024 at 4:30 PM, gogoblender said:

c'mon Timo... share share share...he'll be one of our youngest members yet! Wait... I think Llama posted an ultra sound when he had his first kid years ago!

:heart:

gogo

I prefer not to throw pics of the kiddo online hope you don't mind :wink: it's his choice in my opinion, not mine. And since he can't choose yet, I prefer to keep him offline. 

@Delta! Your place looks amazing you should be proud! The painters are here to do our window sills and stuff, some much needed maintenance! 

• Appreciation 1