So, anyone playing Mythos?

I think y'all know where I"ve been stuck :P Ahh, that Wiki... it's ...sticky :blink:

James, did the launch of the game go okay though, are you at least having fun with the game?

:)

gogo

I downloaded it last night and started playing, although I only got an hour or so in. (Being on mobile broadband, it took about three hours for the thing to download fully!). It looks like fun, from what I've seen so far. I'm about to go and get another couple of hours play in, which should let me know whether it's for me or not. The odd thing about playing last night was either I'm looking for my health in the wrong place, or my character didn't get hit. Or that last bottle of lager was a no-no. I'm playing on the European servers. I'll post back here when I've got a better feel for the game, and decide whether to stay or return to Sacred 2*.

* That said I don't think I'll be able to quit Sacred 2 altogether. I've got too many characters with things to do!

• 2 weeks later...

I did manage to give a go a few weeks ago. In fact I still have it installed. Unfortunately it did not excite me like the original did when it first appeared in 2008(?). There's something about this version of Mythos that seems to be lacking. The colour palette doesn't seem as vibrant. The mobs seem smaller in numbers and general execution seems to be slower than the original. Torchlight, the other rendition of the original Mythos, looks as though a much closer facsimile.

I'm waiting to try Torchlight 2 to see just how much they've done with it.

Original Mythos was huge fun. I remember spending hours in it with players here from FDM just shooting stuff over and over ...addictive as all heck. Bright colors, great animation, sounds, glorious thundering sounds.

I just don't understand what happened to it in this incarnation.

Pity

:(

gogo

Well, I never managed to play. Their registration requires you to get a confirmation email, which I never got. I found the support website and haven't gotten an answer (and I'm sure they're gone for the weekend now). And I finally tried to register for their forum and got "Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator".

Seems like the lunatics are in charge of the asylum.

Their registration requires you to get a confirmation email, which I never got.

Curious, my ISP must be blocking mythos emails because I finally tried using a yahoo email address and got right in. Go figure.

I've been playing it a lot over the past week or so and quite enjoyed it.

However once you hit about level 18 or so, the quests dry up which means experience gain is very slow.

You are either forced to always play with a party of 5 people (the max you can have in a party) which gives you an experience gain or you have to constantly grind killing monsters which can take many hours to gain a level.

I believe that once you get to level 28 a new series of quests start up, but for now I cant be bothered with the grinding to get there. :(

• 3 weeks later...

However once you hit about level 18 or so, the quests dry up which means experience gain is very slow.

I'm not sure of the details but the last update was supposed to improve the mid-range leveling. You might check on the forum.

-----------------------------------------------

I played til after 3am last night and have earned my "30 Hours" achievement... so I must be enjoying it ;)

Biggest change from the old version is how you move from town to town: no more randomized forest paths. You simply portal or airship between those areas.

Second biggest change: from each town you have a dungeon entrance and/or a rune gate. Dungeon entrance replaces the region map. Runes replace the map items you could buy to run a random dungeon; instead of cluttering up the region map, you simply visit the rune gate of the corresponding color and go to the one-time random dungeon. The one-time dungeons are bigger (5 or 6 levels versus 1 to 3 levels), so more drops; but you generally buy the runes so you have to earn more in loot than you paid for the rune for it to be worthwhile.

New additions I really like:

• Dungeon reset button: now you can explore every last corner or do a fast grind
  • Breaking down items into crafting materials: it's a little like selling to yourself, if you break a white item down, the resulting material has roughly the same value and stacks (and at some point later I'll have tons of materials to start trying out crafting)
  • Enchanting, socket adding and repairing: you can go to a special merchant on Heaven Island and for a varying fee, buy up to three enchantments (items mods) on a piece of equipment, another special merchant can add a socket or upgrade a weapons damage rating, and if either the enchantment or the socket failes and damages the item then another special merchant can repair it.
  • Auction: when I find a really nice item (like a yellow unique), I'll put it in the auction w/ a minimum bid of what I could sell to a trader for... on at least one item I got 5 silvers instead of 1 silver. But there's no auction results or "collect your proceeds" page so I'm curious if it works right or not.

Things I haven't figure out (but haven't tried, meaning not even looked on the game forum for an answer, but the answer isn't obvious ingame):

Reputation and color of quest ! markers

Two tips for building up wealth (which if you're like me, you invest into enchanting):

• "Identity charms" cost 30 coppers, but (at least up to level 15 where I am now) green items are worth less than that, so only use charms on greens that you might really want. Blues and above are (almost) always worth more than 30 so always identify them ("unidentified" item value may only be a couple coppers, have to identify to get proper value).
  • Pick up everything and stop when you're full to use the break down hammer on all whites and some greens (as necessary to make space for better items). Whites break down into "scrap" which has roughly the same value and will stack to 100; every extra copper or silver adds up. This method saves running back to town and occassionally you'll get something better than simple "scrap".

Edited by masteff

I was fortunate enough to get to play Mythos in the beta with both the old and new versions and I have to admit that the old one was so addictive I couldn't stop playing it. Unfortunately this new version just doesn't have the same hold on me for some reason and I gave up and went off to play other games. I can't quite put my finger on what was lacking, just that it didn't feel as the original and lacked the 'addictive lure' for me. :(

I was fortunate enough to get to play Mythos in the beta with both the old and new versions and I have to admit that the old one was so addictive I couldn't stop playing it. Unfortunately this new version just doesn't have the same hold on me for some reason and I gave up and went off to play other games. I can't quite put my finger on what was lacking, just that it didn't feel as the original and lacked the 'addictive lure' for me. :(

First few levels weren't that great but once I got several levels then I could grind the "Hungry Cave" in Evergreen Pasture... it has one level and two bosses (a third and rarely fourth sometimes spawn if you clear the level and go back thru). I love the grinding because even though it's similar, it's not identical since the floorplans are randomly generated.

But there's no auction results or "collect your proceeds" page so I'm curious if it works right or not.

Opps, spoke too soon... it's actually pretty cool... I got an ingame email which had a button to collect or if no one bought the item then it had an item area in the email so I could click and drag my items back to my inventory.

I'm not sure of the details but the last update was supposed to improve the mid-range leveling. You might check on the forum.

Nope, the last patch has not addressed this issue.

They have promised to release another patch in an attempt to fix it, but no date yet. :(

http://community.mythos-europe.com/en/community-site/start/newsdetail/article/daily-quests-update.html

They're close to adding daily quests which are supposed to help mid-range leveling. And if you do all three quests for the day, then according to their earlier post about it, you'll get a 60 minute 100% XP boost.

(Just re-read the post at Mythos and it's going into the testing system tomorrow and hopefully live soon.)

Edited by masteff

Thats great news, thanks for the update masteff.

Since my toon reached level 20 I have given up playing due to the terrible grind needed to get experience points.

As soon as these daily quests have been added I will happily return to playing the game. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Daily quests are now live in game. I've done them twice and the pattern I've seen is:

one kill a boss quest, one find a sparkling box and retrieve the item in it (both times the box has been on the final floor of a map), and one "collect X number of items". The "retrieve" quest was easy by ignoring enemies and rushing to the final floor. And the "collect" quest took 20-30 kills to get the needed # of items dropped.

Oh, and the xp is major. I'd say each quest is giving 10-15% of what you need per level. First three quests I did gave me roughly 40% of a level. A normal map was giving me 2-5%, so that big difference. (Of course I still plan to grind a few maps for drops; just glad I don't have to grind for levels now.)

• 9 months later...

Just got mythos global to finally work they added some new skills it looks like and minions got a buff so I'm gonna troll abit

my bl is called haligarn

Edited by Epox
  • 3 weeks later...

well, I still am playing it :)

still love it, although currently I moved from Mythos Global to Mythos Russia.

Mythos Russia already has the Zone 4 update, a higher level cap, and it's cash shop is much cheaper.

It's an unlucky love however, it seems me and very few others have the servers all for us alone.. but we would like to share it :P

it's a kind of dilemma/paradoxon..

but I will try to sum up why Mythos is currently still the only - and one of the best- game I'm playing (kind of) frequently.

BAD STUFF:

• new Mythos received a lot of bad press because people were comparing it to the old version, and concentrating on the negative aspects of these changes
  • the new publisher also piffed off a lot of players, because they often announce something, then postpone it, or change it.. the support could also be better
  • there is not much publicity about Mythos, never was, since it's relaunch.. so it's not catching enough attention to attract more players. everyone talks about D3, or other games
  • Mythos is partially bugged, and some parts are still badly balanced..
  • there were only a few patch updates since it's relaunch, and the new dev/publisher doesn't communicate to/with the players very much.
  • inconvenient/circuitous browser-based launcher (game itself is installed to & runs from local HD though)
  • where are all the players?
  • cash shop prices ridiculously high (I hope they adjust it soon)

GOOD STUFF:

• even the new Mythos can still be a lot of Fun, if you give it a chance:
    doesn't take long to get used to gameplay mechanics & still adequate and fast progression of char development
    • free skill resets up to clvl 40
    • daily quests granting a 2hr 50% experience bonus for every 3rd daily quest you complete
    • with all the various experience buffs, its possible to dungeon grind for levels again, if you prefer that over quest-grinding (used to be the more common way before)

[*]especially the end game content can be quite challenging > very tough and dangerous maps & bosses

[*]special end game gear to go for, needs time to find&farm (not everybody has it)

[*]it has some nice MP specific online features, that were missing in most of the other H&S ARPgs of the past:

• dungeon master: rewarding players who clear a dungeon the fastest, with +luck buff for the time you're leading, and +cash if you're fastest at the end of each week
    • quick duel: fight against another player directly where you encounter him, if you send him a request
    • battle 'arena': special group-based PvP mode, takes place in the area called 'Ice Horn plateau'.. unlocks special boss fight & chance for extra item reward
    • crystal defense: in each wave, protect the base in your group, against incoming hordes of monsters > grants several buffs for players as a reward
    • guild system: grants global buffs for each guild based on certain rules (guild level, member count, time of guild creation, online times accumulated as a guild..)
    • friend&mail system: see who's online right now and where, what level/class.. send mail to buddies, attach items to mail or link in chat..

[*]Mythos is free to play, so go ahead, try it out and forge your own, unaffected opinion

in end, Mythos is still the second-best H&S ARPG for me,

after Sacred1 ofc, and followed by Sacred 2 and (presumably) D3..

enjoyed Sacred1 closed HC MP, and had good times over there,

next best thing to it - in retrospective - is Mythos..

(based after trying out games like Torchlight, Titan Quest, Path of Exile beta, D3 beta, etc etc..)

Edited by Rotluchs