Elder Scrolls - Sky Rim

Steve: If it has hard copies, it hardly (sorry 'bout the pun. :P) has any dependencies with Steam or whatnot.

Hard copy of Fallout: Vegas states on the box that it requires Steam. To the best of my knowledge only the downloaded version of FO:NV from Direct2Drive does not require the use of Steam.

From what I can gather far from various sources (some reliable, some not so much) Skyrim SHOULD be using a simple disk check for DRM, akin to what was on Oblivion and FO3. That may or may not change between now and release. I mean it is 5 months away. Plenty of time to screw it up. So with that said, IF current rumor hold true, I will probably purchase the game. But as already stated, if it requires Steam, it'll never see the inside of my DVD drive.

Steve: If it has hard copies, it hardly (sorry 'bout the pun. :P) has any dependencies with Steam or whatnot.

But to 'activate' a game with Steam means to have to register an account with Steam, it's not as simple as it sounds, I'm afraid.

I bought a game a while back from a shop. You know, the old fashioned way ! On the back of the box it said that I had to register online with Steam to activate the game. Ok I thought, can't be too bad. I'd heard lots of bad things about Steam, but I wasn't planning on using them for anything other than activating the game purely so that I could play it. I went online and created an account as required which took ages, and I really wondered what on earth was going on. Then, when I looked at my account it seemed that everything on my C drive had been uploaded onto Steam ! I could see everything on there. Also, whenever I wanted to just play the game I had to go through Steam which monitered my gameplay, even though I was only playing sp and not online mp. Like I said, all I wanted from Steam was to activate my game.........that I bought and paid for in a proper shop.........and play it. It was turned into a mega pita.

Thus, if it happens to be the greatest game the world has ever seen, just by being associated with Steam will taint it in my eyes.

But to 'activate' a game with Steam means to have to register an account with Steam, it's not as simple as it sounds, I'm afraid.

I bought a game a while back from a shop. You know, the old fashioned way ! On the back of the box it said that I had to register online with Steam to activate the game. Ok I thought, can't be too bad. I'd heard lots of bad things about Steam, but I wasn't planning on using them for anything other than activating the game purely so that I could play it. I went online and created an account as required which took ages, and I really wondered what on earth was going on. Then, when I looked at my account it seemed that everything on my C drive had been uploaded onto Steam ! I could see everything on there. Also, whenever I wanted to just play the game I had to go through Steam which monitered my gameplay, even though I was only playing sp and not online mp. Like I said, all I wanted from Steam was to activate my game.........that I bought and paid for in a proper shop.........and play it. It was turned into a mega pita.

Thus, if it happens to be the greatest game the world has ever seen, just by being associated with Steam will taint it in my eyes.

Sorry about my big gripe yesterday.

Whilst I've not had a good experience with Steam, I'm sure that there are plenty who are happy with them, so make your own judgement and don't listen to this old grouch !

Steve.

That was actually a valid point you brought up though, how you expecting it to be a single moment regarding steam, which eventually became a full time experience with them on your gametop. I myself as well have an issue with a "gaming system" rather than just getting the game. I'm kind of of classical feeling on this, and prefer to "own" rather than renting or "partaking in" when it comes to my purchases.

Digital media is so different from past, historical goods and there may be, with piracy so rife, no really good way for producers to collect their tithes rather than with a complete restructuring of how electronic goods are distrubted including "play to rent" ?

For now though, as there is still companies offering the traditional method of "purchasing", that is definitely my favorite.

:)

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

Tip for people who don't like steam:

Buy a PS3 or xbox.

I'm pretty sure the game would be worth it.

..unless they have those dreaded framerate issues like they had in dragon age for PS3.

I'm talking fps down to 14 at certain points. Unplayable.

I just hope that I'm still unemployed when it's released ;)

I think I'll have to watch some gameplay videos on a PS3 to make sure it doesn't lag like hell.

To me, framerates below 20 is gamebreaking.

• 1 month later...

I bought Hunted: The Demon Forge on PC recently (yes, I know, silly me - now that aside). It's published by Bethesda, and the only online thing it needed was to register with GameSpy if you wanted the download content from the Special Edition. The game ran without online registering anywhere, Steam or otherwise. I'm not sure what Bethesda did with New Vegas, but they may have backed away from going down that route. That said, this'll be the first Elder Scrolls game I don't buy, as I have enough other games coming out to interest me, and I don't like the way each time they release a game, it looks better but there are actually fewer player options. Also, the inclusion of real dragons is, to my mind, like the Sacred franchise suddenly being awash in dwarfs. All right, there were the (pretty pathetic) dragonlings in Daggerfall, but the only 'real' dragon up to now has ben Akatosh, and I don't remember him putting in an appearance.

Edited by Steerpike1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I am interested in buying Skyrim when the new year comes, but I am discouraged because of this "Steam" rumour. I did buy a game once (can't remember the name) but it required Steam to activate and actually play. This I think was about 2 years ago, poor memory!

:unsure: I only played it for like about 3 weeks and then I couldn't log back in to play. Apparently I was hacked and the activation code was stolen with a password change. I tried to gain access to my account back, but nothing. I just don't want this to happen again, as my money would be placed on Steams security and online support. I might buy Skyrim, but I am going to keep all information I need to keep noted when registering on Steam, so they can't pull anything on me.

Since it was a long time ago when that happened, I searched the web and found about Steam being multiplayer game host supporter.

Does this mean it only goes for games that are multiplayer like on the XBOX and PS3 to help connect users?

Also, what else can they "learn" from you when you register, all I remember is when I am logged on, anything new?

:inquire:

By the way, I know Skyrim will be a single player game.

Just want to learn more about Steam, since I haven't used it in a long time and I won't fully trust them!

Looks good indeed. But I'm still going to go with mostly PC. Not gonna get a console 'cause of couple of games.

Also from what I've gathered it should come as a dvd too, so no Steam exclusive pains or anything. At least it's on pre-order in Play.com

Pheew I was really concerned this game would be tainted by the evil Steam thingy.

I look forward to this one comming out, eventually.

Ya its singleplayer, so mostly for when I am bored and gaming alone, like one day a month max.

Its internet using and I kind off like gaming with friends online - so if it had Lan connect through x-fire or other co-op oppotunity I would get it fast and use it more.

Edited by D-molisher

The guy said it's coming out 11/11/11 on PC PS3 and XBOX :)

Might be one I have to pick up once I find out how MP plays

If "MP" means Multiplayer then sorry to disappoint but Elder Scrolls games do not have MP at all. Not even co-op.

I gotta be honest. I've always thought, while the elder scrolls series had the most incredible content only second to an MMORPG...this is the first and only game I've ever seen that looks quick, fast... in fact, it looks like it could compete with the sacred franchise.

hmmm, I wonder what their builds are like

Yes, the sheer amount of content in Elder Scrolls games (and Fallout 3) is astounding!

As far as builds go... While in Morrowind and Oblivion you picked a starting few character traits that would set your character down a specialized class (or you could manually apply points to stats at creation), The Elder Scrolls games treat skills on a "per-use" basis. So even if my character started out as just a fighter, if I wanted to start experimenting with magic I could just learn a spell or two from a teacher and just keep trying to cast it. Over tiem I will get better at it. Yeah, I may not have the high maximum Magicka like a Breton Mage but with practice I can cast spells like the best!

SO basically what I'm saying is, there aren't "Builds" per se. At least nothing like how Sacred handles them.

As far as builds go... While in Morrowind and Oblivion you picked a starting few character traits that would set your character down a specialized class (or you could manually apply points to stats at creation), The Elder Scrolls games treat skills on a "per-use" basis. So even if my character started out as just a fighter, if I wanted to start experimenting with magic I could just learn a spell or two from a teacher and just keep trying to cast it. Over tiem I will get better at it. Yeah, I may not have the high maximum Magicka like a Breton Mage but with practice I can cast spells like the best!

SO basically what I'm saying is, there aren't "Builds" per se. At least nothing like how Sacred handles them.

I actually like this. It means that, ultimately, most "builds" can start of easier...but if you keep up with it, they can get to where everyone can, but because of the way you start, some get off faster than others down their road.

it sounds a lot more natural this way, and I like having the option of, if you keep at it, you'll get it all

:)

gogo

Well I used to play Morrowind alot and after Oblivion they changed the game alot because of the way you level and the npcs and mobs all level with you, so I think they made the game more maintstream to appeal to more audiences. So the Longevity of you trying to achieve max level is capped after you max your main skills, I even tried to level with the minor skills so I could try to max level that is around level 55 iirc and it is boring as hell doing this. I think they didnt change this on their next title Skyrim so its gonna be the same thing for ppl trying to achieve max level status so you can achieve Godlyness in this game. The lore is amazing aswell on this game I was really wowed back when I discovered Morrowind. I imagine that the Skyrim one will be more short then the previous ones, but still you get so much of sidequests that it will keep you busy for awhile until DLC's arrive. This time around they implemented dual wield on some gear setups lol that its so going to kick-ass, Im really hoping that it can be possible to fly on the Dragons, instead of using *fast travelling* so much, that would be really WoW like, but it could be really awesome for you to fly to any part of the map and explore stuff.

Well I used to play Morrowind alot and after Oblivion they changed the game alot because of the way you level and the npcs and mobs all level with you, so I think they made the game more maintstream to appeal to more audiences. So the Longevity of you trying to achieve max level is capped after you max your main skills, I even tried to level with the minor skills so I could try to max level that is around level 55 iirc and it is boring as hell doing this. I think they didnt change this on their next title Skyrim so its gonna be the same thing for ppl trying to achieve max level status so you can achieve Godlyness in this game.

They did change this, as it was a major complaint among TES fans. If I can find the article with the quote saying so I'll post the link here. It was either Todd Howard or one of the other leads on the project that said it wasn't like Oblivion (the level-matching mobs).

Specifically, one major difference is that certain areas will be categorized as "high level" areas and the creatures there will have a level range with a higher minimum than safer areas. While there will effectively still be leveling mobs, the way in which they do so is different.

I'll try to find that article...

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand they're also doing away with Major/Minor skills, all skills will now contribute to leveling up when raised, and instead of specific bonuses set along a skill path (heavy armor: 25=normal, 50=heavy armor burdens you less, 75=even less armor weight, 100=your heavy armor doesn't weigh you down at all) you will have a bunch of perks, each tied to a specific skill/playstyle (don't remember too many specifics for this, though I believe it was things like: (for blocking/shields) getting a shield bash or having better damage reduction etc.) that you will be able to choose each time you level up (think this should feel familiar to Fallout players), so it seems like actual Builds will be more prominent in this game vs. Oblivion where you just raised whatever skills you felt like. Might actually be a mage before trying melee in this one, as dual wielding spells sounds pretty awesome.

In response to the question about Steam, I recently bought Dead Island on CD, and guess what... you have to have Steam to play it, and you have to accept the updates as well in order for the game to work. I'm not a big fan of Steam, for security reasons, but also because you have to be online in order to play Single Player too.

Here are a few other games I have bought on CD and had to register on Steam as well:

Dungeon Siege III

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale

Fallout New Vegas

Two Worlds II

Maybe once you have Steam on your PC it hijacks your other games that they have as well. Idn, but imo it sucks. Wonder if this is another sign of the future for gaming.

Kiy

fixed typos :P

Edited by Kiyeri
  • 1 year later...

I'm debating on buying this game due to the GamersGate sale for $15. Can people who have already bought it give their opinions for pros and cons?

I initially purchased it for the PS3 and played it from start to finishe at least three times before I decided to also purchase it with one available DLC for the PC. Much to my horror, the PC version of the disks I received were simply Steam installers and the game had to be downloaded. :(

I haven't read through the entire topic here but thought I saw someone mention a hard copy of the game, as in available on CD/DVD. If I had realized the version I ordered from Amazon was simply a Steam portal, I would have look further.

I've enjoyed the PS3 version immensely but have yet to get into the PC version much due to the difference in controls. The reason I'm interested in the PC version is because of the huge Mod accumulation available. That should make an enjoyable game last even longer ... if I can ever overcome my problems with Steam.

Maybe once you have Steam on your PC it hijacks your other games that they have as well. Idn, but imo it sucks. Wonder if this is another sign of the future for gaming.

Kiy

fixed typos :P

Likely so... Reasons:

1.) They don't have to stamp DVDs. They can just make CDs. CDs are still cheaper than DVDs to produce.

2.) They don't have to have boxes and manuals and all that other stuff printed if they don't want to.

The above 2 are optional. They can if they want to, but don't HAVE to do either.

3.) Distribution becomes someone else's headache - in this case - Steam. They don't have to ship anything beyond the installer code to Steam's HQ and have THEM do all the grunt work.

4.) This is optional again - They can pass on the responsibility of tech support to Steam - if for nothing else the easy glitches and such that happen during installation leaving their techs free to handle the more frustrating issues that can pop up.

All in all, it cuts their expenses...

And, as far as tech support goes, you will want the unofficial patches which you can find at AFKmods. If you do not use any of the DLC, only use the Unofficial Syrim patches.

Arthmoor has a number of other mods that I like to use as well. You might also want to take a look at those.

Edited by Ysne58