Connecting devices in your home

essjayehm

Newegg has even added a "Powerline Networking" subcategory.

I remember hearing about the tech in 1998 when I was a grad student and had to listen to undergrads do oral reports on news article; some researcher had announced they'd accomplished it in the lab. At the time, no one had home networks so the application was a bit lost on us but sounded cool.

This is probably good for retrofitting a network into an older house. It could be cheaper than wifi in spread out locations where a repeater might be needed. I'd want to read up on interference, range and such. And it still wouldn't get networking to my laptop; still hard to beat wifi for portability.

We have LAN via power supply at firefighter building - works great. Wireles LAN was to troublesome- shortwave radio, DX,and other radio transmitters cause lot of packet losses when active.

Other place is the cellar at my nephew: steel mesh in the concrete blocks WiFi and house owner doesn't allow thrilling holes for LAN-cables.

Yep it works great I use it to connect two wireless routers (one used as a repeater) as in older houses here the walls and basements are too thick and the wireless signal gets swallowed.