Dawn simulator

chattius

On friday the local hospital did its annual lottery to get money for its parents and childs cancer department. As usual we bought 20 lottery tickets. But in difference to all the years before, this time we had luck. One was a prefessional tool box

Proxxon%20Koffer.jpg.563655.jpg

... which will probably find the way into the car of our oldest when she has her full car license in 2 month.

But the other win was a dawn simulator. An alarm with a docking station for iPad/iPhone, FM radio and the reason for the name: lamps simulating day light. The test on sunday morning was very frustrating. My wakeup is normally BEFORE dawn. So as soon as the alarm was emitting light I jumped out of the bed because I thought I would have slept too long :(

So we gave it to our second who is bad tempered when she is awoken by us when she has to hurry for school. The first 2 days: a wonder, she was fully awaken at the planed time and in a way better mood as normal. 30 minutes before the normal alarm the simulation started, light getting brighter and brighter, music was first 20 minutes birds singing, then her favourite band.

Any of you have experience with such dawn simulating alarms, wake up lights or whatever names the companies choose for them ?

Philips-HF3490-Wake-up-Light.jpg

Hope the positive effects stay ?

That's an amazing price, I've never seen anything like it! I'm surprised that if it can wake you up in a better mood, this thing's not already gone super popular... I'll have to check out Canadian Tire.

Congratz on the lucky win Chattius!

:)

gogo

If only it came with something else to dock than Apple product I might consider scourging one up... Anything I-connected is a strickt no go for me.

Though I'd really need one as I'm terrible at morning, anything to soften the landing into wake-world. :P

http://www.lumie.com/shop/categories/dawn-simulators

Several companies seem to do them now. Like the lumie from above link. I read some tests comparing different models and what I noticed: a high change rate in models. So probably a new aggressive market where feedback from customers lead to model changes quickly?

But even the third day the positive effects are still there.

We actually own one of these:

http://sadtherapylamps.com/oregon-scientific-breaking-dawn-sunrise-clock.html

It is not bad, but sometimes the stepping of the lightincrease annoys me, as it is noticeable when you are just not quite awake and you get a bit shocked when it steps up a few lux. I would very much prefer a smooth continous increase in light. The snooze trigger is a nice thouch. Just wave your hand in front of the display to stop the radio/audio alarm. The light will stay on however, so that is a bit of a fail. Brightness of the display could be very much darker on the minimum setting. Why did I get this thing again?

I also heard of alarm clocks that actually analyze your sleeping movements and choose the best time (ligth sleep phase) to wake you in a given timespace before your absolute get up alarm.

Edited by czevak