Opinions wanted on my PC to-be

lujate

The mobo software has a thermometer that shows on the screen. Sitting idle, it was showing in the low 30's. With the CPU cooler plus four gigantic case fans, I figure over-temps should not be a problem, but was curious what would be normal and where I should get concerned.

So there I was. I had finally got all the programs installed and my data copied over. I was ready for some high resolution carnage across Ancaria. I made it to the main menu and my UPS started screaming. Closed the program and it shut up. The UPS is just a couple of months old, but I guess it simply cannot handle the load. :(

My old UPS was a 425VA. The largest I could find locally was a 625. I bought it and it is charging now.

So there I was. I had finally got all the programs installed and my data copied over. I was ready for some high resolution carnage across Ancaria. I made it to the main menu and my UPS started screaming. Closed the program and it shut up. The UPS is just a couple of months old, but I guess it simply cannot handle the load. :(

My old UPS was a 425VA. The largest I could find locally was a 625. I bought it and it is charging now.

I'm not a 100% expert on UPS, for as important as they are they just don't excite me like computer components do...

But, from the research I did on deciding which UPS to buy for my current system, it's a good idea to try and find one with at least the same wattage or higher as your computer's power supply. If I remember correctly, you have an 850w psu, so it would be wise to try and get a UPS that is 850w or higher. The 625w should suffice for now as far as protecting it from surges and conditioning the electricity that goes to your computer, but you may have next to no battery time during a major black/brownout, so you'll have to shut your system down right away when the power goes out, if it doesn't immediately shut it down for you.

Really, all you need is a few minutes to save whatever you've been working on and shut your system down properly until the power comes back on. Any UPS that gives your system at least a few minutes of back up juice in the event of a total loss of power is adequete.

I've noticed that the newer gaming systems of today seem to need much beefier UPS to feed all of their power-hungry components. However, a good, capable UPS can be quite expensive.

That new rig is pulling a few more amps than the old one eh? :)

I have a APC 1200 that pulls about 140 watts on browser and 225 in game. Which is less than 30% load.

The 625VA UPS did the trick. I am in the Crystal Plane now. The snow is falling, 4+ Blazing Tempests roaring across the screen, enemies dropping like flies... Life is good. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So basically I needed a CPU hierarchy chart like I found for graphics cards.

So far, I am a believer in SSD's. I have never seen an OS install go as quickly as this one.

Tom's is a good source.

CPU

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

video

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

So basically I needed a CPU hierarchy chart like I found for graphics cards.

So far, I am a believer in SSD's. I have never seen an OS install go as quickly as this one.

Tom's is a good source.

CPU

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

video

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

I checked Tom's for the graphics card hierarchy. Good to know it also has a CPU chart. :thumbsup:

The 625VA UPS did the trick. I am in the Crystal Plane now. The snow is falling, 4+ Blazing Tempests roaring across the screen, enemies dropping like flies... Life is good. :)

That's great to hear, lujate, glad it worked out for you. Any idea how much battery back-up time you'll have in the event there's a blackout?

I finally had to adjust the sensitivity of my UPS up to 100%. I found out that I had it way too low, so the first time my power went out (just the other day), my computer and monitor also turned off. Not a good thing. Took me a while to figure out how to adjust the settings, as the instructions for my UPS were rather vague. To test it I just unplugged it from the wall outlet, and my computer and monitor stayed on with much happiness.

I would say a good, solid UPS is the single most important investment (along with a good quality power supply) for you 'puter. Sadly, a lot of peeps don't realize this and wonder why their computers get fried. :evil:

Other than the vague instructions, I love this thing!

v8o568.jpg

It will handle the power blinks that do little more than reset all the clocks in the house, but it does not have enough juice for me to shutdown in the event of a actual outage. Unfortunately, that will have to do for now. :sigh:

It will handle the power blinks that do little more than reset all the clocks in the house, but it does not have enough juice for me to shutdown in the event of a actual outage. Unfortunately, that will have to do for now. :sigh:

Just make sure you click the 'Save' button in advance for anything you've been working on, especially if you happen to look out the window and see any tornadoes, 500 foot high tidal waves, or other random natural disasters that could shut your power down at any given moment... :o