Guild Wars 2 open beta this weekend - April 27th thru 29th

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And...the weekend is still here... I'm going in again, this time with Elementalist... my nic for this toon is gogoblenderak ... add me please if yer playing!

:)

gogo

Looks like you had a lot of fun. I'm coming in-game now.

EDIT : Time for me to leave the beta. Hope there will be another one soon. I'll share the rest of my pics/vids and stories soon!

Max

Edited by Flooxim

I found the ultimate Jumping spot... Made especially for crazy's like us. spent the last few hrs I was in beta here jumping off. Sure wish ya all were with me *hugs*

post-22787-0-20779200-1335761325_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kiyeri

awwwwwwwwwwwww... no more beta! :oooo: DB, loox like it's packed up and gone, don't even know when it's gonna come back. I had so much fun, though didn't get to try out all the classes like I had planned. There is SO much content, and I still only know about 1/10th of anything... maybe less. It's a little frightening thinking about how much there is to learn and not get cowed by, I still don't know how to move about effectively on the map, and my brain's filters on a two day basis had slowly let me get comfy.

One of the biggest challenges was game controls... lol I remember how much I hated an all out three d game first time I played it, with GW a few years back...then remembered that in two days the control automatically became intuitive, as they have now... whipping that camera out , I'm getting to be a Spielberg, and seeing the pix that everyone is puttting out, I get the feeling that this part of the game, taking pix, could have as much appeal as in pix in real life.

Party / Guild system is great...it's first class MP game, and with so many of us there online, it's easy to keep it going as a chat and watch it like TV.

First started with Archer, and I'd forgotten that every SINGLE weapon available to your class spawns new Combat Arts/Skills! I was wanting that long bow...so fast! But never got to find one before I wanted to try out another class. From Ranger to Elementelist (wizard) ...men...lol I was so dissapointed ...the first fire spell he got was nothing u threw...just a weird hand gesture you waved about that ignited something from a distance... kind of a let down... but from there I got to my last class late last night... the necromancer...

WOW

Hugely exciting, VERY fast...they made him some kind of a ninja wizard... he can spin an axe a few feet out in front of his hands into the targe and criss cross cut them up while moving his hands about...kind of like a powerful voodoo doll with an axe at the end...hugely exciting... that class has me hooked, and he can change into shadow form to zip around and cast more bolts... WOW!

gogo

How solo friendly is GW2?

IMO, not very. Going slowly I was able to do OK solo once I got up and going. The Dynamic Events are suicidal by yourself. There were most often other players around and 2-3 players would frequently just tag along. So far, not conducive to the lone wolf.

This was still the first mass beta, so a lot will probably change before release.

For me it was a great beat weekend!!

I mainly played with a ranger....when I saw the ability to use 2 axes I fell in love.

I found ranger to be really great, especially in comparison to GW1.

I also had fun with the thief....dual wielding pistols was really powerful against single enemies.

Also played a bit of the caster classes...will probably love the mesmer, as in GW1.

Can't really wait for another beta weekend and for the release :)

For me it was a great beta weekend!

I didn't know you were part of the beta. Why didn't you try to contact us either in-game or in this topic. We would have had so much fun together.

Max

guess I can only add one pic, I have more let me kno how to add them

I just upload them to http://tinypic.com/ and post a link to the pic.

I almost forgot this group pic we took Saturday night before our adventure.

k89is.jpg

From the left:

You can also see Kiyeri's wolf and gogo's leopard. Knuckles's drake was camera shy and not in the frame (although its name appears at the top of the screen).

Overall, I had a great time this weekend, although I got off to a rocky start. Friday night I was completely disillusioned and ready to give it up. Since I had already bought the game, I gave it another try on Saturday and things just took off.

I spent the entire weekend playing the mesmer, which is like an illusionist. It was not love at first sight, but like the game she grew on me. The staff was definitely my go-to weapon. Looking back though, I understand what the developers were talking about regarding weapon swapping. GW2 allows most classes to have two sets of weapons and you can swap them in combat. There were many times during massive fights that all my staff skills were recharging. I just suffered through it until they recharged. I should have done a weapon swap to my alternative set while the staff skills were on cooldown. You live and you learn I guess.

I really should try a different class the next beta weekend. Part of me hopes that the company will flush the characters from this weekend (still no official word on that). Otherwise I am afraid I may end up playing my mesmer again.

I had fun...but didn't really great into it through limited play. The controls were a little overwhelming too...I'm still not sure if I even properly worked out how to target and attack an enemy normally (how do you?)...I definitely had trouble going from the hack and slash play style to whatever this was...

I am not sure the correct way to target a foe. I did all ranged and just point-and-click to target.

There are options in the controls when you can assign a key to select the next enemy, or the closest one. I assign the TAB key for that, and it felt exactly like Guild Wars 1.

I found that trick pretty late in the beta, unfortunately.

Max

I am not sure the correct way to target a foe. I did all ranged and just point-and-click to target.

There are options in the controls when you can assign a key to select the next enemy, or the closest one. I assign the TAB key for that, and it felt exactly like Guild Wars 1.

I found that trick pretty late in the beta, unfortunately.

Max

That just might make all the difference to me.....I had such a hard time reliably targeting enemies...it was down right frustrating tbh. I prefer melee toons and was constantly mis-clicking....killed a lot of the enjoyment for me....I would have given up the first day if not for all you guys in there too...being a part of a party trumped the issues I was having with the controls.

That and jumping to my death was immensely enjoyable...if I can use TAB to target enemies I'll be giving this another go.

That just might make all the difference to me.....I had such a hard time reliably targeting enemies...it was down right frustrating tbh. I prefer melee toons and was constantly mis-clicking....killed a lot of the enjoyment for me....I would have given up the first day if not for all you guys in there too...being a part of a party trumped the issues I was having with the controls.

That and jumping to my death was immensely enjoyable...if I can use TAB to target enemies I'll be giving this another go.

/cheer

Looks like TAB is the default key for "Foe - Next" (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Controls). Sounds to me that "Foe - Nearest" might be better.

I get that about the targeting using the mouse pointer is almost insanely difficult with seeming thousands of players on screen at once :4rofl:

Tab key for the win! I used that in first guild wars as well...it's just about the only way to really lock your cursor on a monster...the cool thing is, once it's locked, it stays locked.... all you have to do ist stay in range.

I'm really glad to see so many of us hanging here for this, I'm just ecstatic I'm going to have two great games to play, Diablo 3 for darker moments, and great guild wars 2 for awesome moments with us all in grand epic and song!

gogo

In this post I'll share my experience with the beta. But first, I'll share some things other players found during the beta.

1- Rasperry Jam on the unofficial forums said that the Warrior Banners and be picked up and used as a weapon. I can't wait to try this out.

2- Here's a video of a magician NPC doing a show in Divinity's Reach (I loved it) :

Here are my beta impressions :

Download/installation

Of course, like everyone the beta was a huge piece to download. On my side it went a bit better than I expected. I read that the game would be around 13 gigs, and I didn't the download to take the whole day. So I found out that my Internet Service Provider sells a service called "Speed on Demand". For $2.99, my Internet speed would go up by 30% for the next 48 hours. So I tried it, and wow it was fast. I got to download the whole game in a little bit more than 3 hours. There was no real installation (just like Guild Wars 1), when the download is done, the game opens. I like that way of doing things.

First steps into the game

Like most people, after the first story part, I got a bit overwhelmed by all what was offered by the game. There is so much to do, so many places to go, so many players to meet and play with. I tried to find the NPC I knew I would need (bank, repair, etc.) and explored the black citadel.

Playing with the game

It took some time to get used to the controls and targeting, but once I got used to it and learned all my weapons skills, I was good to go.

Utility skills are fun, but there were so many, I always had to read about them each time I could buy one, because I didn't know which one to choose.

Weapons combinations are fun and lets you play the way you want.

For this beta, I had "unusual" weapons sets in my hand. For melee, I was playing with Sword + Torch. The sword is normal for melee but I used the torch to set enemies and myself on fire at close range. For mid-range, I was playing with Scepter and Shield. Scepter has good mid-range skills, and Shield has so good knockback skills that enemies remained in mid-range so I could keep shooting them. When things got a bit tougher, I switched to the Sword really easily. There was a little cooldown when I switched weapons, but it was not long.

Meeting with other players

I think this was the first beta where we could travel to Lion's Arch and from City to City that fast and easily. I had a great time walking into these well-designed cities to find players that also were in the beta here. Before the end of the Beta, we got to be 5 people from this forum (I made a pic you can see at the bottom of this post).

Conclusion

In conclusion, I had a really great time with the game (I got to play 15 hours) I couldn't try all the professions/races, but I'll try them in the next Beta Weekend. I don't regret pre-purchasing the game and I think we'll have a great time playing this game together.

Here are the rest of the pics I took during the beta :

Skill Challenge with fire enemies :

gw2skillchallengefire.png

Divinity's Reach from outside (this city is huge) :

gw2divinityoutside.png

Divinity's Reach center (so beautiful) :

gw2divinitycenter.png

Some creepy place :

gw2creepyplace.png

A Charr vehicle :

gw2charrvehicle.png

An event where we had to kill an huge Effigy (I think I killed it 3 times during the weekend, you can see it in the video) :

gw2charreffigy.png

Me sleeping :

gw2flooximsleep.png

Knuckles sleeping :

gw2kuncklessleep.png

Guild Information (one of the window):

gw2guildregistry.png

After a while, I finally found Lujate (we had to meet in town, because out of town, we were both in separate secondary servers, so we never saw each other) :

gw2foundlujate.png

3 of us got to meet :

gw2groupof3.png

4 of us got to meet :

gw2groupof4.png

5 of us got to meet :

gw2groupof5.png

Here's a little video I made with what I got on film :

I had a great time with you all on this beta weekend. I can't wait for the next one!

Max

1- Rasperry Jam on the unofficial forums said that the Warrior Banners and be picked up and used as a weapon. I can't wait to try this out.

I knew you could pick them up (Kiyeri showed me that the last night of the beta) but I never thought about using it as a weapon. Wonder what skills it gives? :inquire: Of course, I did not see many of those banners.

I knew you could pick them up (Kiyeri showed me that the last night of the beta) but I never thought about using it as a weapon. Wonder what skills it gives? :inquire: Of course, I did not see many of those banners.

I picked up a piece of meat at one point and could use it as a weapon :)

Does anyone know when the next weekend beta event is?