Dear Mom and Dad I've run away to the Auction House

I think it was using the Auction House in the first place that made me feel that way about drops.

I had one play through normal and found it fun upgrading my stuff from what dropped. Diablo killed me a few times but it was fun :butcher:

After that I decided to see what the AH was like and was amazed at the stuff you could buy. I spent around 75k and my DPS and health doubled. This has been said by many people and this is the reason why drops feel so bad. Since That first time using the AH I know that 90% of what drops is poor compared to what I could buy, so I just sell it to collect gold, to visit the AH for upgrades. We all want to be the most powerful and strong we can so why settle for weaker drops when you can buy stronger gear?

It is the level requirement on gear that causes the AH and monster drops to be so out of sync with each other. Drops seem to have a level requirement roughly 10 levels lower than yours(could be higher). Items in the AH can easily be searched by level requirement at or just below your character level, meaning that you get much better gear.

In Sacred 2 you could farm for awesome gear from drops and could even get higher level upgrades by farming monsters above your level(purples). Sorry Shadout but the drops in Sacred 2 were way better than D3 and bargaining was still only there for good rares and jewellery, you could not buy sets/uniques.

This whole post :bow: Could not have put it a better way Dobs, I share the same feelings about the AH.

Gotta agree with Dobs here.

Drops you found in Sacred 2 you could actually use. If I geared my Monk only from what dropped he'd be dead several times over. D3 hardcore is much harder than Sacred's ever was. In Sacred I routinely ran around in Niobium with under-leveled equipment and most sockets empty and never had much of a problem. You simply cannot do that in Diablo. Oh you can get away with in Normal but no way can you make it through Nightmare.

Being HC, I have to have very good gear and the only way I can get it is from AH. Kind of makes boss runs pointless (though it's good for the next toon I make)

Drops you found in Sacred 2 you could actually use. If I geared my Monk only from what dropped he'd be dead several times over. D3 hardcore is much harder than Sacred's ever was. In Sacred I routinely ran around in Niobium with under-leveled equipment and most sockets empty and never had much of a problem. You simply cannot do that in Diablo. Oh you can get away with in Normal but no way can you make it through Nightmare.

Certainly. The difficulty is much higher - which is good to be honest, even if some of the current "difficulty" is unreasonable.

However you really still can get the required gear by farming rather than using AH, it will just take a really long time.

You might have to farm early nightmare for weeks to prepare for the rest of nightmare and so on.

Blizzard had this very naive idea that it would take months for people to clear Inferno even on SC. They wanted people to spend time on slowly getting better gear from drops - which in most of the game is possible to do.

Obviously AH ruined that idea pretty hard and people exploited and AH'ed their way through Inferno in a few days instead.

Edited by Shadout

Im with Dobs too. I don't mind a steep difficulty curve in later levels since it makes grinding through the same storyline again and again much more interesting. But for a semi casual to casual player (anyone who works full time/studies full time/looks after kids full time/and so on) and cannot devote mindless hours to playing the game for that 1 in a million (perhaps an exaggeration) drop at their level they have very very little chance of outfitting themself to move onwards without resorting to the auction house. And while I agree with gogo's point (or at least what I think his point is) that once you have the gear you have fun killing stuff anyway, but alot of people gather fun in the drops as well, thats what these games are about. Whack monster, Kill monster, monster drops goodies. I finished the main storyline for the first time yesterday, no auction house use and had fun. Things definitely got more difficult in later acts, especially while messing around with rune/skill choices, but I managed to finish it off myself, despite the low level items, but all I hear is that the only way to progress really is to buy stuff...kind of takes some of the fun out ot it...

Anyway, guess since they aren't likely to change too much we'll just have to make the most of the hack and slash'ness of it which I have to say is pretty darn good!

But on the flip side, everything on the gah has dropped for some-one ! So, there must be good drops out there or the gah would be empty..............

But on the other flip side, if they were good drops people wouldn't be selling them, they would be using/stashing them :whistle:

A). What was a fantastic item at level 30 is now no good to you at level 40, so you sell it at the gah to raise some cash and upgrade.

B). What is a fantastic item for (example) a Demon Hunter is no good to you as you don't have/don't want that class, so you sell it at the gah to raise some cash for classes that you do have.

Yeah I know Steve, I was just pulling your leg mate :P

You're just too cheeky for words. :omg:

Back on topic :- I thought I read somewhere that hc toons couldn't shop at the gah, but I bought an item for my hc barb earlier today. :dntknw:

Anyway, guess since they aren't likely to change too much we'll just have to make the most of the hack and slash'ness of it which I have to say is pretty darn good!

I completely agree with the sentiment here. its a very fun game, let our gaming hours (eek!:oooo:) be testament to the truth.

Anyone wanna actually put down how many hours or our day this game has stolen?

Item procuring is certainly different from the old days of Ultima, but dang , this game is fun!

:bounce:

gogo

Back on topic :- I thought I read somewhere that hc toons couldn't shop at the gah, but I bought an item for my hc barb earlier today. :dntknw:

Nope, the GAH is available for Hardcore players. The Real Money AH is the one that isn't available for HC ;)

Yeah your right, it was a good debate but now it's time to go play it for what it is :viking:

• 3 weeks later...

AH well ...

I save the best items for myself or friends both hc and sc.

The semi usefull I ah.

I get weapons mostly from ah rest I get myself or from friends.

The need for ah are dependant on your play style ... solo or party always ( like me ).

For partying 1 more always the mobs get 50 % extra hp, dmg etc. Worse with more in party.

So if you are squishy and poor try grind some gold soling -> even if mega boring.

AH has been out of action a lot recently, which is a pita.

Messed up my trick of last minute bidding, as I have missed out on several items. *sigh*

If they are having a problem with gold sellers, then punish them and let the rest of us do our legit trading please !

Be very careful with the AH guys. Blizz is perm-banning people for being too profitable with it (people who aren't botting).

I'm curious about this... anyone have any idea how much anyone has singularly made off of AH? I mean... are peeps quitting their day jobs over this for the SC Auction House ?

Steve, you're becoming a real trader! I'm kinda lazy myself, always going out for just the buy out...but perhaps I'll start to use bids one day too now

:)

gogo

Steve, you're becoming a real trader! I'm kinda lazy myself, always going out for just the buy out...but perhaps I'll start to use bids one day too now

gogo

*Yikes* Shhhhh, I don't want to get banned ! The AH sales have slowed down so much, I've reduced my prices to just 500 gold for a lot of items ! These are mostly normal level items though, not top stuff. NM and above I sell for 1 or 2 thousand. Legendary around 20K.

On the flip side, I mostly pay around 5K, with the most ever 80K for a very nice amulet with 15% MF & GF.

Not sure what level you are steve but since late NM and early Hell I've routinely sold items for over 50k...actually the lowest I've been selling is for around 30k. Sold several items for 100k+. My last 10 sales netted me 620k. I don't bother with blues and only sell yellows or higher with good stats and preferably sockets. (only blues I would think of selling are rings/ammys but I'm hoarding them).

One thing I do is go on the D3 boards and get a sense of what everyone is using for item mods. Crit was a big seller the last few weeks since 1.03 patch (and the inverse for Increased Attack Speed)

This week's flavor seems to be regen per second. So if you have items with that mod you might be able to bump up the price a bit.

If you don't sell an item and you feel the price is inline with similar items. Just re-post. I had a nice helm that didn't sell the 1st 2 times but was bought on third try maybe 20 mins after posting. There's just so much stuff on the Ah it might take a few times for someone who needs it to find it.

All this is based on the HC GAH, not sure how well it translates over to SC

Not sure what level you are steve but since late NM and early Hell I've routinely sold items for over 50k...actually the lowest I've been selling is for around 30k. Sold several items for 100k+. My last 10 sales netted me 620k. I don't bother with blues and only sell yellows or higher with good stats and preferably sockets. (only blues I would think of selling are rings/ammys but I'm hoarding them).

One thing I do is go on the D3 boards and get a sense of what everyone is using for item mods. Crit was a big seller the last few weeks since 1.03 patch (and the inverse for Increased Attack Speed)

This week's flavor seems to be regen per second. So if you have items with that mod you might be able to bump up the price a bit.

If you don't sell an item and you feel the price is inline with similar items. Just re-post. I had a nice helm that didn't sell the 1st 2 times but was bought on third try maybe 20 mins after posting. There's just so much stuff on the Ah it might take a few times for someone who needs it to find it.

Ah, as always, I really appreciate your input mate, but most of my toons are normal/nightmare difficulty level and in sc mode. So, you obviously have far superior items than myself.

I have one toon left alive in hc and just 1 toon in sc hell................hmmm, I better pull my finger out, hehe !

The EU sc gold auction house has been down a lotthis week.

I can't believe the metagame going on with the AH...though it makes sense that it's only going to reflect whats bringing in better results as results of updates to game.

You're so upon this too Knuckles, delightful to read about as well

gogo

Kind of pulled a complete 180 on this. At first I didn't want to use the AH at all, but the difficulty basically makes it must for Hardcore. Since I need a lot of gold for higher level items, it made sense to figure out the market a little bit. Even flipped a few items. Not that I go looking for them but if I find an item that is severely under-priced I'll buy it and re-post for market value.

It's like I bought D3 and ended up playing Auction Quest :P

Kind of pulled a complete 180 on this. At first I didn't want to use the AH at all, but the difficulty basically makes it must for Hardcore. Since I need a lot of gold for higher level items, it made sense to figure out the market a little bit. Even flipped a few items. Not that I go looking for them but if I find an item that is severely under-priced I'll buy it and re-post for market value.

It's like I bought D3 and ended up playing Auction Quest :P

hah U know...this means that I'll be asking you for expert eye appraisals of items eh

muhaahhaha

:devil:

gogo