Wow, Diablo 3 Hell is... Hell!

Gotta admit it. I'm having a real tough time in Hell. I won't even fight the first Champ in Adria's Hut by myself. I can play up until Adria's Hut no problem but Champs and Elites are freaky in Hell. Just finished playing in Hell with others. When we got to the Khazra area no one wanted to continue. We were all stressed out from the traumatic champ and elite mob battles that we had just survived, lol. This isn't fun anymore! :oooo: I think the next time I play I'll make my skill bar all defensive. Heavy offense isn't working very well in Hell.

P.s.

I made level 55 hardcore today. Woohoo!

Congrats for the level! You've gained levels pretty quickly the last couple days.

I also agree hell is indeed hell. I'm playing some kind of "heavy offense" build with my wizard and I'm really having a hard time, enemies with 2 affixes are okay, but with 3 affixes, it's a whole other story. Some combinations can be defeated without difficulty but some combinations are just pretty deadly.

Max

Thanx Max! :D

Some combinations can be defeated without difficulty but some combinations are just pretty deadly.

Ain't that the truth! Frozen + Arcane + Teleport... Yeesh!

Well I'm felling better about Hell now. At around level 54-55 I began to have a "reasonable" amount of difficulty. Normally enemies were a snap. They could hurt me if I got lazy but when I stay sharp they're easy to take care of. Champ mobs and elites were/are still risky but pretty managable now. Just gotta kite a lot. I also am constantly thinking of escape routes. That is I'm pretty much memorizing what areas of the map I've already uncovered so I know which way is safe in case I'm overwhelmed.

Most importantly though is that I find being in a party can be pretty deadly. Enemies do get a lot tougher with 4 people on a server and if a mob decides to focus on you alone... Big trouble! What can also happen in the middle of battle is that the other 3 in party may retreat. In the heat of battle it's difficult to see when your party is retreating thus leaving you alone with a dangerous mob. Not good! If you're going to party in Hell it should probably be with people who will have your back!

It comes to a point that you'll have to remake your game if you come up against certain affix combinations. You can't skip them in HC like you can in SC. But now you know where the difficulty in the game is. Random rare/unique mobs are 100x more deadly than any boss fight you'll ever have. Depending on your class there are groups that you simply just can't fight.

Gotta admit it. I'm having a real tough time in Hell. I won't even fight the first Champ in Adria's Hut by myself. I can play up until Adria's Hut no problem but Champs and Elites are freaky in Hell. Just finished playing in Hell with others. When we got to the Khazra area no one wanted to continue. We were all stressed out from the traumatic champ and elite mob battles that we had just survived, lol. This isn't fun anymore! :oooo: I think the next time I play I'll make my skill bar all defensive. Heavy offense isn't working very well in Hell.

P.s.

I made level 55 hardcore today. Woohoo!

I'm with you on the being frightened. I didn't take Hell seriously, and that grandstanding play cost me so many hours. I'm a little afraid of all those affixes...this game can terrify me!

:oooo:

gogo

I'm finding my DH is having a real tough time in hell, and I'm only in act 1. It's becoming a bit of a game of frustration rather than one of fun.

So far I have focused on damage but I can see that it is now time to refit her for a lot more defence.

Though if that doesn't work I think I wont suffer any more...I'd rather take some time off and wait untill Torchlight 2 gets released. ;)

I'm finding my DH is having a real tough time in hell, and I'm only in act 1. It's becoming a bit of a game of frustration rather than one of fun.

So far I have focused on damage but I can see that it is now time to refit her for a lot more defence.

Though if that doesn't work I think I wont suffer any more...I'd rather take some time off and wait untill Torchlight 2 gets released.

Sadly for the dps classes focusing on surviving (talking about gear) won't help you. You have to focus completely on not being hit. It'll come to a point where anything that hits you will one or two shot you, no matter how much hp/armor/resists you stack. While playing the later parts of Hell and Inferno you have to be almost perfect in avoiding damage or you lose everything. But you nailed it with one part there. The game ends up becoming a frustration more than anything unless you farm farm farm farm and severely outgear the content.

...farm farm farm farm and severely outgear the content.

That's exactly what I'm doing, lol. Had a great run with Knuckles in Hell this eve. As soon as we saw a blue mob or elite we'd stop and consider our options. We were handling things very well but always remained cautious. We'd make sure we had nice open spaces for kiting where possible and were always aware of our escape options. Had some close calls but I expect that in HC. A bit of danger makes it fun. ^^ Granted we stayed and replayed the early part of Act 1. Never went to the Fields of Misery. The good thing is that levels are coming in quick even though we keep replaying Act 1. I'm pretty sure I'll get level 60 in Act 1 in fact. 57 now so not much more to go. Then the real fun starts. Nephalam Valor here I come!

Yer not wrong Schot mate, hell really is hell.

My monk sailed through nm and killed Diablo with ease. I took him into hell and got a right old beating ! :o

There is a huge leap in difficulty between nm and hell.

I needed to upgrade all my monks gear but didn't have the gold, so started another toon to raise some funds. But, I've been enjoying my wizz so much, that my monk has been moth-balled ! :D

I will eventually go back to my monk and have another crack at hell, but I want to see how far I can push my wizz first............and I have forgotten about my DH too. Oh my, she'll think I don't care and go off in a sulk...........yikes ! :whistle:

Steve.

Finally made HC Hell myself...monsters with 4 affixes is.....just....so....wrong :) Ran with Schot up to the Skele King, but I'm still scared to go in some cellars. For the first time I actually bypassed a few elite mobs.

Looks like I'm going to be taking my time here in the first act for awhile

Finally made HC Hell myself...monsters with 4 affixes is.....just....so....wrong :) Ran with Schot up to the Skele King, but I'm still scared to go in some cellars. For the first time I actually bypassed a few elite mobs.

Gratz on getting to hell in hc mode. No mean feat at all. If that's scary though, you'll need a change of underwear for inferno ! :oooo:

Gratz on getting to hell in hc mode. No mean feat at all. If that's scary though, you'll need a change of underwear for inferno ! :oooo:

I'm going commando lol

But running into a Jailer/Molten/Vampiric/Illusionist mob = run like hell and reset game :P

• 2 weeks later...

Schot wanted to know how late Hell enemies feel like, so here's a little vid :

EDIT : This vid was played with my level 58 wizard. He has 36.5k Health, 3250DPS, 64% Damage Reduction, and between 230 and 300 to all resists.

Max

Edited by Flooxim

Thanx Max! :D You actually make it look not too bad. How much health do you have? In fact what are your defensive stats like?

You guys do know that armor/resists have been broken since about a patch or two ago right ? Hence the outragous damage on caster mobs and more in particular Elites (which also now cast faster making the DOTS tick faster and more often).

I havnt bothered taking any of my HC Witch Doctors to Inferno yet (Hell Act 2 soulstone)for this reason.Just biding my time with backup WDs and pimping them out,blacksmithing/selling on the Auction House,until the issue is addressed by Blizz.

I have 6 WDs (1 Softcore and 5 hardcore)I wonder if there is a Achievment for more than two level 60s of one class ? =P

Occasionally I switch back to Softcore to check out the state of Inferno,before making a decision on whether moving my HC Wds on to that difficulty.

Edited by (Darkelf) Temper

How much health do you have? In fact what are your defensive stats like?

I updated my video post with the information.

Max

Thanx again max. :) Ok so I really really have to work on my hp then. I've got about 18k... At level 60, lol. However, in comparison I have 18.2k Health, 10291DPS(buffed), 66% Damage Reduction(buffed), and between 348 and 569 to all resists(buffed). So maybe I could afford to have less hp than average if my defenses are good? Sure is easy to regen health with it being so low haha.

Thanks for that heads up Temper. After reading your post I went and did a lot of reading on the matter. From what I can tell a lot of testing has been done by the community which supports the fact that armor and resists are broken. It seems Blizzard has yet to acknowledge this problem. I think I'll follow your lead. I won't push too far ahead unless I'm confident that I'm handling elites and champs well enough. I'm quite happy farming at this point in the game anyway.

You guys do know that armor/resists have been broken since about a patch or two ago right ? Hence the outragous damage on caster mobs and more in particular Elites (which also now cast faster making the DOTS tick faster and more often).

I havnt bothered taking any of my HC Witch Doctors to Inferno yet (Hell Act 2 soulstone)for this reason.Just biding my time with backup WDs and pimping them out,blacksmithing/selling on the Auction House,until the issue is addressed by Blizz.

I have 6 WDs (1 Softcore and 5 hardcore)I wonder if there is a Achievment for more than two level 60s of one class ? =P

Occasionally I switch back to Softcore to check out the state of Inferno,before making a decision on whether moving my HC Wds on to that difficulty.

Well my death makes a little more sense now. Ran into a Waller/Arcane/Fast with my level 59 Monk and basically died instantly. Had 35k health, 1600regen per sec over 250 in resists (unbuffed) and died in maybe 3 seconds.

Here's another video with a rare monster that had invulnarable minions :

Quite a tough fight I'd say. My stats are almost the same than the previous video, except I had 4200 dps for these enemies.

Max

Hm, haven't noticed anything about resist and armor not working.

Then again, my scale for damage mostly consists of "not hurting too much" and "Hurts too much - run for the hills". Nothing in between. Making it hard to notice any changes :)

Only thing I have read was someone testing that armor/res didn't work against environmental damage (such as fire from the ground in act 1 and 3), which is weird, but might be intended - and unchanged since release afaik.

Very tough as can be seen Max. Interesting that you're fighting the same elites at the same location in both videos. Do they always spawn there? Looking at it closely though it isn't that bad a fight. Some things that I might add to your strategy would be to buy Mythic Health Potions. They may not be dropping yet byt you can get them from a merchant. They'll give an extra 3000 hp than Runic and 6000 more than Resplendent. Kiting could help a lot as well and what I find most valuable defensively these days is using Frost Nova with Mirror Image Mimics. With those two together you can pull off 3 Frost Nova's one after another for some serious enemy immobiliztion, Along with Diamond skin the three make for some nice defense.

Dp those enemies rend to do a lot more damage when they're glowing red? Always wondered that.

I read more or less the same thing Shadout. Mostly environmental. Though... It does make sense ro give a non moving ground based spell a lot more damage than one that is a punch or similar... Arcane for example is pretty deadly. It can be easily avoided but if you get tossed onto one and then stunned... Big trouble!

Terrible loss Knuckles. So so terrible. :(

Whether it's armor/resists not working properly or the speed of the DOT (this includes Fire Chains,Lasers and the like) ticking over paired with the speed and frequency that mobs (particularly Elites) are now casting is still being debated/tested.

I play a damage avoidance game rather than a damage mitigation game so I was kinda late to the party on this subject.Didnt really notice it until I started progressing my two Barbs (one softcore,one hardcore.After what seemed unreasonable damage for a level 40 Barb to be taking in Nightmare act 2,I decided to switch to my Softcore WitchDoctor and do some detective work.

Im no rocket scientist by any means and am crap with the math,so I have a pretty basic mind set to things like this.But it's simple really even for dummies like me.If my Toons have done nothing but improve,yet Im being hit harder and faster without progressing to a higher difficulty area,then something has changed/broken and I must exersize more caution or wait it out until its rectified.

But in any case,I just did a Jay Wilson.I took my fear factor into account and then doubled it and now Im thankfull. (sorry had to have a dig at Blizz and JW)

My latest toon is around level 52 and I'm taking it easy after my last foray in Hell at level 54. Going to be a humble player this time and embrace the "Way of the Chicken"

See enemy run

:oooo:

gogo

Whether it's armor/resists not working properly or the speed of the DOT (this includes Fire Chains,Lasers and the like) ticking over paired with the speed and frequency that mobs (particularly Elites) are now casting is still being debated/tested.

I play a damage avoidance game rather than a damage mitigation game so I was kinda late to the party on this subject.Didnt really notice it until I started progressing my two Barbs (one softcore,one hardcore.After what seemed unreasonable damage for a level 40 Barb to be taking in Nightmare act 2,I decided to switch to my Softcore WitchDoctor and do some detective work.

Im no rocket scientist by any means and am crap with the math,so I have a pretty basic mind set to things like this.But it's simple really even for dummies like me.If my Toons have done nothing but improve,yet Im being hit harder and faster without progressing to a higher difficulty area,then something has changed/broken and I must exersize more caution or wait it out until its rectified.

But in any case,I just did a Jay Wilson.I took my fear factor into account and then doubled it and now Im thankfull. (sorry had to have a dig at Blizz and JW)

Scrub that whole post lol.I just realized most my Characters are a good bit under level for where they are in game (cant even wear a lot of the items they find).So Im guessing that I should have payed more attention to the Amour/resist tooltip,that clearly states....This is how much damage reduction you get for fighting enemies YOUR OWN LEVEL.Makes me wonder about what kind of difference it makes to be = to,> than or < than enemies for damage reduction numbers.

And welcome back to Hell Gogo ! Slow and steady mate,just slow and steady.

Edited by (Darkelf) Temper