Field Guide to Withermoths

People are always saying "Withermoths are so beautiful but they're so hard to find". Well, friends, I'm here to help you learn to spot these hidden beauties on your future trips to the North and South Highlands. With just a little patience and training, you'll be finding withermoths like a pro!

A common location for withermoths is near a bush, as the bushes often drop piles of leaves that the moths like to hide in...

withermoth1.jpg

The lucky and determined nature lover will sometimes find more than one in a location...

withermoth3.jpg

More advanced withermoth seekers will learn to spot even the hardest to find ones by noting the piles of leaves they hide in...

withermoth4before.jpg

withermoth4after.jpg

But don't look only near bushes because sometimes the withermoth will find a leaf pile in a more open area...

withermoth2.jpg

Just be careful because disturbing a larger cluster of withermoths can create a swarm which can threaten the delicate nature of these lovely insects...

withermoth5before.jpg

withermoth5after.jpg

And always remember the first rule of being a naturalist: take only pictures and leave only footprints!

Edited by masteff

Masteff, this is awesome. Creative, entertaining with touch of artistry. The kind of charming guides I read with relish. Thanks for the write up and time, maybe this species will become highly collected after this!

:)

gogo

People are always saying "Withermoths are so beautiful but they're so hard to find".

Hehe, I say "Withermoths are electrical pains in the arse". :P

Agreed! They are cute, but they make appearances at perfectly painful moments

:oooo:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo! Thanks, Gogo, Schot, et al, for my custom "Wither Mothologist" title!

I noticed my new title last night. So while we were playing, every time one would pop up, I'd tell Knuckles via Skype "that's a wither moth, you can tell by the markings on it's wings"

Enjoyed the read. Very entertaining on its own part.

Thanks!

I remain, :thumbsup:

P.S.~ love the new title. Unique!

Edited by Etherian

Woohoo! Thanks, Gogo, Schot, et al, for my custom "Wither Mothologist" title!

I noticed my new title last night. So while we were playing, every time one would pop up, I'd tell Knuckles via Skype "that's a wither moth, you can tell by the markings on it's wings"

Of course he'd tell me this as I was being attacked by said withermoth :P