Currently Watching...

Omnicide

8 hours ago, Flix said:

Well I finally finished Star Trek: The Next Generation.  It took me 5 months lol.  That show was solid gold though, especially starting around season 3, it seemed like the writers were hitting a home run with nearly every episode.

I've moved onto a show that's been recommended to me by several friends on Netflix: Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I just finished it tonight .  I had wrongly assumed this was just a kid's cartoon.  The show is incredibly well done.  The characters very memorable and more complex than you would expect, many jokes legitimately laugh out loud funny, stakes that get you very emotionally invested, just overall a really well-written and produced show.

Star Trek has a huge place in my heart Flix.  I was there watching it on network when it was airing live...there was nothing like it on TV... a lot of what it did was cutting edge for its time...and its characters... oh its characters... took those many years to get to that perfect place which for me, was final season where not a single episode was anything less than stellear   A few tears and some endless viewings of that final scene playing poker? Ya maybe... Carpe Card (poker cards) or... Carpe Picard ;)  I still think about how lost opportunities are those final moments :blink:

And... re Avatar...YES...I actually binge watched that in a single weekend.  The animation is drop dead gorgeous...and these ridiculous sentiments tween the two sibling...when they make faces at each other.. for no apparent reason... lol.. who cant relate to our awesome relationships in real life where things just happen for no reason :lol:

And... those final eps with all that epic imagery of the fleet of fire raining down upon the earth...  still sharp !

:thumbsup:

gogo

16 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Star Trek has a huge place in my heart Flix.  I was there watching it on network when it was airing live...there was nothing like it on TV... a lot of what it did was cutting edge for its time...and its characters... oh its characters... took those many years to get to that perfect place which for me, was final season where not a single episode was anything less than stellear   A few tears and some endless viewings of that final scene playing poker? Ya maybe... Carpe Card (poker cards) or... Carpe Picard ;)  I still think about how lost opportunities are those final moments

I think we're the same age.  As a kid, I was not the type inclined to appreciate the brilliance of this show.  It seemed dull to me... they just talked through their problems?  Where are the monsters and laser fights, lol?

I get it now though.  And what gets me more than anything is the unflinching optimism for the human race.  I really can't put it into words, but it's apparent when you watch the show.   It wasn't all roses and puppies, quite the contrary, the stories went to some very dark and difficult places.  And yet the writers always found a way to navigate the most snarled and complex issues, and to show us what it means to face these problems with a beneficent rationality.

16 hours ago, gogoblender said:

And... re Avatar...YES...I actually binge watched that in a single weekend.  The animation is drop dead gorgeous...and these ridiculous sentiments tween the two sibling...when they make faces at each other.. for no apparent reason... lol.. who cant relate to our awesome relationships in real life where things just happen for no reason :lol:

And... those final eps with all that epic imagery of the fleet of fire raining down upon the earth...  still sharp !

Yes it was so gooooood!  I'm taking a little break and then will most likely move on to The Legend of Korra, which is now on Netflix.  I'm not anxious to see my beloved Team Avatar grow all old and grey just yet, though!  :3lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did NOT like Legend of Korra.  What a disappointing follow-up to the amazing show that The Last Airbender was.  I had to stop after the 2nd season began, and I knew it wasn't going to get any better, and it was making me too angry.

For a show with everything designed to be more serious and mature (more realistic art style, older cast of characters), the writing felt like it was majorly dumbed down.  I never saw any character growth, no one ever seemed to learn or grow or become wiser.  No one ever had meaningful conversations, or had moments that showed meaningful relationships forming.  Villains were utterly transparent to the viewer, yet the main characters continued to blindly trust bad guys and mistrust their allies who had proven their worth ten times over.

Most plot points required the main characters to just be dumb and make dumb decisions.  No time to listen, no time to explain.  Just plow on ahead and make things worse.  Then things get resolved, not because of any skill or cunning, but because being the Avatar means she just gets bailed out of trouble by magic.

This show feels like some kind of parallel universe.  Gone is the laugh out loud humor of Avatar.  The jokes are either non-existent or painfully lame fart gags.  I don't think I even smiled once.  The action is just boring CGI chase scenes and stuff with bikes, mechs, guns, etc.  Bending is relegated to a second-tier style of combat. 

• Thanks! 1
  • 1 month later...

You guys.  I think I just found probably the greatest horror show I've seen in the last decade at least.

Truly this trailer doesn't even do the series justice.  It transcends any generic horror or ghost story cliches.  The Haunting of Hill House expects you pay attention and rewards you immensely for doing so.  It is simultaneously creepy (I could not sleep the first night and even had nightmares for the first time in probably 8 years) and heartbreaking (it will make you want to hold your loved ones tight).  Just an absolute masterpiece of a show on every level.

• Like! 1
Just now, Flix said:

You guys.  I think I just found probably the greatest horror show I've seen in the last decade at least.

Truly this trailer doesn't even do the series justice.  It transcends any generic horror or ghost story cliches.  The Haunting of Hill House expects you pay attention and rewards you immensely for doing so.  It is simultaneously creepy (I could not sleep the first night and even had nightmares for the first time in probably 8 years) and heartbreaking (it will make you want to hold your loved ones tight).  Just an absolute masterpiece of a show on every level.

Flix, i was just thinking about the nostalgia I had when Schot told me about Hill House when it first aired on Netflix.  I was a little hesitant to watch it ..commuting to all those episodes. But right off the bat after watching the first episode i was completely pulled in.  The writing, the sets, and the absolute GENIUS of what i think it was sixth episode...when they created one of the longest shots ever in a film? I think it was when they were all in the funeral home and the shot kept going and going and going... I remember doing research on that particular episode and reading about what the creators were trying to achieve with this series... to take Horror where it hasnt gone before,, how satisfying was this or what!!

Cup of Stars...  pure perfection

I could go on...

:dance2:

gogo

• Appreciation 1

We've been rewatching SMASH. Which was an incredible show about what all goes into making a Broadway musical. Stellar casting, witty dialogue and genuinely incredible music. We struggle to understand why it only got two seasons. 

We've

Great trailer... looks so expensive, then see the spielberg name...ahhhh :D   ... i was a fan of Glee as well for about two years... NEVER thought Id get into that . but over and over kept getting sucked into the massive polished editing and filming...plus...im a sucker for Jane Lynch! and you now I didnt even know i was into her...until, of all things...  Talladega Nights! :lol:

:oooo:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

And... yeeeeeeeeeeeeee... new anime? or is it a manga? :blink: 

Blood of Zeus... netflix... ULTRAVIOLENT... 30 seconds... the animation is kind of flattish, but the perspectives and pacing are great... this is gonna be a new great one for me...u guys see it?

:superman:

gogo

On 10/28/2020 at 7:33 PM, gogoblender said:

Blood of Zeus... netflix... ULTRAVIOLENT... 30 seconds... the animation is kind of flattish, but the perspectives and pacing are great... this is gonna be a new great one for me...u guys see it?

Haha... no less than 5 people at work came up to me this week and said that I had to watch this one because I was sure to love it.  But, I was pretty unimpressed after a few episodes.  I felt like I had seen all of this before. I felt bored. This was the latest in a string of bad anime recommendations from friends (before that it was Dragon Prince, before that, Legend of Korra).

Disappointed, I was petulantly scrolling through Netflix tonight and decided to click on whatever random anime the cursor landed on, even if I'd never heard of it.

It landed on "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure."

Holy crap did I hit the jackpot with this show.  I don't even know how to describe this one.  It's just so weird but I couldn't take my eyes off of it.

lol, Flix...your new find looks like every single saturday morning cartoon PLUS their themes all rolled into one Anime :lol: I'm a big fan of Goldorak and albator from the old days, and I like how JoJo has a lot of that running, transformative captures in it... 

But gosh, im sad that you didnt "feel" Zeus... omgod, we were just blown away by the music they wrote for it...that lone is enough to draw me in... done by the creators of  CastleVania...I fell in love with old school use of huge orchestral instrumentation... heck who's even heard of Basoons and Oboes being used anymore? That dated sound for me with the huge, sweeping orchestra support has swept me in ...hey I thinking im liking this anime chat

:lol:

gogo

10 hours ago, gogoblender said:

lol, Flix...your new find looks like every single saturday morning cartoon PLUS their themes all rolled into one Anime :lol: I'm a big fan of Goldorak and albator from the old days, and I like how JoJo has a lot of that running, transformative captures in it

Apparently it's based on a beloved, long running manga that dates back to 1987!  Each season is supposed to be a different generation or iteration of the same family/group of characters.  It's just so dang zesty.

10 hours ago, gogoblender said:

But gosh, im sad that you didnt "feel" Zeus... omgod, we were just blown away by the music they wrote for it...that lone is enough to draw me in... done by the creators of  CastleVania...I fell in love with old school use of huge orchestral instrumentation... heck who's even heard of Basoons and Oboes being used anymore? That dated sound for me with the huge, sweeping orchestra support has swept me in ...hey I thinking im liking this anime chat

All I could think was, "this is Disney's Hercules for grown-ups."  Maybe I've just seen too many versions of Clash of the Titans, played too many hours of Titan Quest or God of War, etc. but for a "lost" tale of Greek mythology it felt incredibly stale and by-the-numbers.  :dntknw:

lol re your new manga... I yes zesty! with all appreciation..it felt like I'd just clicked upon a channel or add played at maximum loudness...maybe it bears a revisit :D

Re Zeus... I know where you're coming from re "stale"...but I've not actually played or watched so much greek mythos too lately and so this is a novel fresh dip in a re-thought classic... I really do love that Music Ben... I'm a sucker for vain-glorious scores...

Bassoons mate... bassoons... and oh those cavalcades of strings!

:music:

gogo

Okay, I have always been a fan of Formula 1 racing. I started watching this simulated race tweaked to "realism mode" and I literally could not pull myself away from it; watching the entire 1.49 hour video. I have a strong disdain toward DRMed games, but now I just gotta have this 2019 edition! I haven't priced the game or a decent PC Steering Wheel Controller with pedals yet, but I'm sure they will set me back at least $200.00 +. Anyway, you might enjoy this fellow Formula 1 enthusiast's driving, because there's just nothing stoppin' Max Verstappen!

(Watch in full screen mode for maximum effect.)

:Laie_68:

• Like! 1
9 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Okay, I have always been a fan of Formula 1 racing. I started watching this simulated race tweaked to "realism mode" and I literally could not pull myself away from it; watching the entire 1.49 hour video. I have a strong disdain toward DRMed games, but now I just gotta have this 2019 edition! I haven't priced the game or a decent PC Steering Wheel Controller with pedals yet, but I'm sure they will set me back at least $200.00 +. Anyway, you might enjoy this fellow Formula 1 enthusiast's driving, because there's just nothing stoppin' Max Verstappen!

(Watch in full screen mode for maximum effect.)

:Laie_68:

zomgod... what a kind of game type to get hooked into Hooyaah...you're right its insanely pricey for peripherals...but you're right, the "feel" of noise, drift and reaction to the wheel are very good.  I remember only playing racing games when I was in Uni... yeeks... time suckah!

gogo

On 10/29/2020 at 1:33 AM, gogoblender said:

And... yeeeeeeeeeeeeee... new anime? or is it a manga? :blink: 

:superman:

gogo

Gave it a go today. Nothing more than background tv for me. The way this anime is drawn annoys me, and the story is a bit... Really, a new take on the whole Titans and Gods thing? Then there's Flix' take it's Disney's Hercules for adults and while that's partly true IMO that still does not change that I like Disney's Hercules better :wink:

Edited by Timotheus
  • Haha 1

we tried watching the second episode last night....but it quickly became a snore about half way in.  I wont give up on its music though ...that huge sound, ceciil be demilee style , Ten commandments...its got that "pow:".. but somehow the story line has flown away...ill see if i can try it once more ... must... try... must....

:sweating:

gogo

The music's good yea. It mainly is the style of the animation that really bugs me. I've had that with a few other animation series/movies as well. There's just something to it that I really don't like. 

I started watching Warrior Nun on Netflix. What a weird show :tongue: but also nothing more that background fodder lol

• Haha 1
  • 1 year later...

@Dax  Remember when you posted a link to that vampire clip ... dancing, and going up the sides of the street or something like that? Great music, maybe it was connected to interview with vampire ... cant remember and cant find it...going maaaaaaaaaaaad...

:crazy:

gogo

On 11/13/2020 at 4:02 AM, Timotheus said:

The music's good yea. It mainly is the style of the animation that really bugs me. I've had that with a few other animation series/movies as well. There's just something to it that I really don't like. 

I started watching Warrior Nun on Netflix. What a weird show :tongue: but also nothing more that background fodder lol

I was a little ill these last few weeks and so did my share of overindulgent dipping into the netflix dark hole... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeks... endless!

gogo

ps warrior nun ? :lol: :eek: 

1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

@Dax  Remember when you posted a link to that vampire clip ... dancing, and going up the sides of the street or something like that? Great music, maybe it was connected to interview with vampire ... cant remember and cant find it...going maaaaaaaaaaaad...

:crazy:

gogo

The music is called "danse macabre". It is a thought construct from the middle age to make people fear death lesser. The dead in all states of decay dance around the living at any given time and try to take them by the hand. The living sooner or later will join their dance. Here is the clip you are looking for:

Edited by Dax
  • Thanks! 1
23 hours ago, Dax said:

The music is called "danse macabre". It is a thought construct from the middle age to make people fear death lesser. The dead in all states of decay dance around the living at any given time and try to take them by the hand. The living sooner or later will join their dance. Here is the clip you are looking for:

Thats it! Its an extraordinary art piece.  Surreal  juxtaposition with death, the dance and choice of  recent movie... the editing is superb, music cuts on top of their dancing

...this is a new thing for me btw... i cant seem to watch movies without having a primal fascination for choices and styles of editing

:)

gogo

18 hours ago, Timotheus said:

@gogoblender Yes Warrior Nun just a little linkely dokely to Netfix Be warned it's all a bit weird :sweating:

My Netflix black holes usually lead me to watching documentaries on serial killers or drug lords...

just followed your link, and then to trailer :lol:

I love the music, exploratory and touches of Indian in it.