I have to say I have never gone as high as those guys...highest was about 1200 feet....most towers around me are under 1000 feet...and now that my back isn't that great.....I usually won't go more than 500 feet....though I have been on top of the Empire State Building recently.

Heights have never bothered me...couldn't tell you why...maybe its the American Indian in me...I do have a healthy respect for the potential danger though...I never free climb....it's slower but a lot safer

• Like! 1

honey I'm home...

legit. These men & women have a death wish!

Hazard pay anyone? Million dollar life insurance for the family you left behind?

I remain, :crazy:

I wonder... do these guys get paid more the higher they cclimb?

Is there a "scaling" rate?

:)

gogo

Well I never got paid based on height. Most of the taller towers have a small elevator so you're not really climbing more than last few hundred feet. But getting an emergency call is different. I've been on a few in the middle of the night to change out the beacon. Tower was in the flight path of the local airport so it's a saftey hazard. Typically it's 4 hour minimum at double rate.

There can be quite a pay scale range between those that actually climb and those that remain on the ground in support (winch up tools/antennas/coax). I work at a small company so my pay never changed based on what I was doing. And the tower company we now use for larger projects does nothing but climb. And he charges by the hour only.

Of course it takes a lot longer to climb 1000' than it does 200' so we pay more in labor the higher/tougher the job is. Plus once you're over 100' you're not suriviving any fall. You just have longer to say 'Uh Oh'

• Like! 1

Plus once you're over 100' you're not suriviving any fall. You just have longer to say 'Uh Oh'

There's that "Hazard pay anyone? Million dollar life insurance for the family you left behind?" risk I was desperatly trying to relay.

1000 ft. is 1000 ft. 200 ft. is 200 ft.

But like you said above. In the end, it would not matter much anyway. Just a couple/few more seconds of "Uh Oh" time.

I remain, skydive.gif

• Like! 1

Well I never got paid based on height. Most of the taller towers have a small elevator so you're not really climbing more than last few hundred feet. But getting an emergency call is different. I've been on a few in the middle of the night to change out the beacon. Tower was in the flight path of the local airport so it's a saftey hazard. Typically it's 4 hour minimum at double rate.

There can be quite a pay scale range between those that actually climb and those that remain on the ground in support (winch up tools/antennas/coax). I work at a small company so my pay never changed based on what I was doing. And the tower company we now use for larger projects does nothing but climb. And he charges by the hour only.

Of course it takes a lot longer to climb 1000' than it does 200' so we pay more in labor the higher/tougher the job is. Plus once you're over 100' you're not suriviving any fall. You just have longer to say 'Uh Oh'

heh...just the last two hundred feet or so eh?

:)

gogo

I guess that really makes helluva workout, climbing and dangling there. Props to you, Robb.

I don't personally have an akrofobia or anything, but still that'd be a tad too much for me. :P

Robb just doesn't like to admit he misunderstood when his mom told him to get a real job and climb the corporate ladder! :D

From the stories that Robb's told me, I'm going to bet that some of those 300' towers on the tops of mountains feel just as far from the ground as a 1000'+ tower on flat land. You can kinda avoid looking straight down but impossible to not glimpse the horizon and the added height of a mountain can put the horizon awfully far away.

How was I supposed to know the coroporate ladder wasn't there :)

You did make me think of one thing.....that all the towers I can think of that are on mountains aren't very tall. Maybe the tallest I can think of is 500'. It makes sense as you're already on the highest bit of land for miles so a few more hundred feet elevation barely has any effect.

Even I get a little vertigo on windy days...if you look up while the tower is swaying and the clouds are racing by.....yes towers sway....especially mono-poles (I hate them). Like you're on a bad carnival ride.

towers-monopole_zps3d2863ec.jpg

And I was so proud when I climbed the may pole aged 16 ....

At may day a pole was erected on marketplace with ribbons on the top. If you climbed and picked a ribbon you could ask an unmarried girl for a kiss.

20110501_ffw_maibaumklettern_049.preview

Next autumn my oldest has a class in cone harvesting for her studies in arboristic and forest economy. It is done in a natural park, so not the usual method of using a helicopter to cut of the top with the cones. It is climbing. But probably less dangerous as putting rings on the feet of kite nestlings as she did last summer for climbing training.

Rotmilan-im-Horst-Doku-a27831402.jpg