Defiance...

Anyone gonna give this a shot?

For those who aren't familiar... Defiance is supposed to be a new twist to gaming. Think of what Sacred 2 could have been if they had a TV show that ran side by side with it.

Here's how it works. SyFy.com has the TV show - it will debut on Monday April 15th. The game will launch simultaneously on the same date.

It's a show and a game about a number of alien species that show up on Earth's doorstep looking for "a new beginning." It seems their solar system got wiped out by a star that slammed into their sun. Being technologically superior, they built huge arks and launched their population into space - directly towards - where else but Earth.

They arrive and as you can probably imagine, things don't go well as we Earthlings decide not to share. Some small colonies are created for the aliens - but the majority of humans don't like that. War breaks out. Just as things get ugly on that front, the arks blow up and drop bits and pieces onto the planet. Some of the parts that land on Earth terraform the landscape into something alien.

The game takes place in San Francisco while the TV show takes place in what was once known as St Louis, now known as Defiance.

The game is an MMO - and given the way the it's been written up, things that happen in the TV show will have an effect on the game - and vice versa. On the plus side, it's free - beyond buying the game ($59 for the standard and $99 for the deluxe editions).

Read more about it at www.defiance.com

Whatcha all think?

• Like! 1

I will probably watch the show. I'm rather skeptical, and I don't enjoy online playing because of pvp and getting screwed over by iron realms entertainment.

Already set the Show to record weeks ago. Ok so I am a syfy geek, its true. First I have heard about the game. I will definitely look into it. Can't help but think the Show/game is cuz The Walking Dead Show/Game were or are so popular.

Not exactly... While there is a Walking Dead game and TV show - they are completely independent of each other.

This IS different as the Defiance game is directly linked to the TV show.

Surprised you didn't hear about the game - they've been running the "Inside Look" thing on Defiance for the past few days to the point where you can't swing the proverbial dead cat on that channel without running into it. They mention how intertwined the game and the TV show are.

The game, btw, apparently went live yesterday or today. They mentioned that the main character in the TV show departs from San Francisco (in the game) at launch time and then is travelling to St Louis and will arrive on Monday - when the show starts. They're guesstimating 3 days travel time. Which I find quite realistic - provided the freeways are clear, there are gas stations open along the way and no other interruptions. Sadly, they make this big deal about how earth gets wrecked by the falling debris...

Granted, Defiance takes place 35 years from now, but ya know, even then, if life is such a hardship, somehow I doubt infrastructure like freeways are a priority...

Then again, there are other odd nonsequitors in the previews so far. The Gateway Arch got thrust upwards in this big cataclysm and yet... The Mississippi river is buried underneath. Mind you if you look up the Arch on Google Maps (or Bing Maps) you'll find the arch is literally maybe 50 yards/meters from the shores of the river. Something smells fishy here. And it ain't McDonald's fish bites..

Edited by wolfie2kX

Then again, there are other odd nonsequitors in the previews so far. The Gateway Arch got thrust upwards in this big cataclysm and yet... The Mississippi river is buried underneath. Mind you if you look up the Arch on Google Maps (or Bing Maps) you'll find the arch is literally maybe 50 yards/meters from the shores of the river. Something smells fishy here. And it ain't McDonald's fish bites..

Wolfie while the Arch and the river are side by side, there is a heck of a difference in elevation above sea level. The Arch is at 1064 ft or 324 meters above sea level. I could not find the exact elevation for the Mississippi at the St Louis river front but a few miles upstream where the Missouri enters the Mississippi the Missouri is 404 feet above sea level. Since the old muddy does not flow uphill we have to assume that the river's elevation at the arch is less than 400 feet.

This give a difference of about 600 feet in elevation between the two objects. Having walked up the stairs from the river to the Arch I know it feels like 600 feet. I can remember sitting over on the eastside drinking beer with my college buddies watching the whole thing get built.

:drunkards:

Er.. That elevation for the Arch - is that measured from the TOP or the BOTTOM of the structure?

I ask because the picture I found on both google Maps and Bing Maps - there's NO way there's 600 feet worth of difference in elevation

Take a look...

post-14586-0-44451500-1365946395_thumb.jpg

From the looks of this, the elevation change looks to be MUCH less.

Anyone gonna give this a shot?

For those who aren't familiar... Defiance is supposed to be a new twist to gaming. Think of what Sacred 2 could have been if they had a TV show that ran side by side with it.

Here's how it works. SyFy.com has the TV show - it will debut on Monday April 15th. The game will launch simultaneously on the same date.

It's a show and a game about a number of alien species that show up on Earth's doorstep looking for "a new beginning." It seems their solar system got wiped out by a star that slammed into their sun. Being technologically superior, they built huge arks and launched their population into space - directly towards - where else but Earth.

They arrive and as you can probably imagine, things don't go well as we Earthlings decide not to share. Some small colonies are created for the aliens - but the majority of humans don't like that. War breaks out. Just as things get ugly on that front, the arks blow up and drop bits and pieces onto the planet. Some of the parts that land on Earth terraform the landscape into something alien.

The game takes place in San Francisco while the TV show takes place in what was once known as St Louis, now known as Defiance.

The game is an MMO - and given the way the it's been written up, things that happen in the TV show will have an effect on the game - and vice versa. On the plus side, it's free - beyond buying the game ($59 for the standard and $99 for the deluxe editions).

Read more about it at www.defiance.com

Whatcha all think?

I've never heard about this till now! I love the way the medias are merging like this. I'll at least watch the series, thanks Wolfie for getting my head out of the hold for this one

:)

gogo

Er.. That elevation for the Arch - is that measured from the TOP or the BOTTOM of the structure?

I ask because the picture I found on both google Maps and Bing Maps - there's NO way there's 600 feet worth of difference in elevation

From the looks of this, the elevation change looks to be MUCH less.

It is from ground level.

Data for the Missouri river:

Mouth Mississippi River - location Spanish Lake, near St. Louis, Missouri - elevation 404 ft (123 m) [1] - coordinates 17px-WMA_button2b.png38°48′49″N 90°07′11″W [1]

Basilica_of_Saint_Louis_King_of_France_4

also found an official site that lists the Gateway Arch as Gateway Arch is a Park in St. Louis (city), MO with an elevation of 440 feet, or 134 meters above sea level. This place is also known as St. Louis Arch.

Only a 600 feet off from that first dumb site I found. :bow:

Sorry.

OK. That's MUCH more reasonable... That would take into account the staircase shown in the pic I posted (where the text balloon is pointing). I can buy 40 ft..

As for that other site... According to Wikipedia, the Gateway Arch is 630 feet tall. So those other nimrods chose to measure the apex of the arch instead of the base for the elevation.. 1064 feet - 404 feet = 660 feet... 660 feet - 40 feet = 620 which is within 10 feet of the arch's actual height.

Close enough for government work. If we work it the other way around 1064 - 630 = 434 feet. Subtract approximately 40 ft for the difference between the river and the monument - and we can guesstimate the Mississippi's elevation at that point is 394 feet.

Of course, that figure WILL vary depending on the time of year, amount of rainfall/snow melt that is fed into the river at any given time.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Nope haven't heard a bit about the game. Maybe cuz I really dont watch much TV. If I do watch it, its cuz I recorded it and can fast forward the commercials... guess maybe I sometimes miss some interesting stuff doing that.

ust might have to look into the game.

I did watch the pilot last night. I can't decide whether I like it or not. Brief description would be every spaghetti western in existence tied together and wrapped up in a syfy ribbon.

I do not mean that in a bad way. Some of my all time favorite movies are the Trinity series with Terrance Hill.

• Like! 1

I did watch the pilot last night. I can't decide whether I like it or not. Brief description would be every spaghetti western in existence tied together and wrapped up in a syfy ribbon.

I do not mean that in a bad way. Some of my all time favorite movies are the Trinity series with Terrance Hill.

Yeah.. That was pretty much my take on it as well. Heaps of spaghetti western with alien mushroom sauce on top.

But it's not too surprising given the people behind it are the same ones who brought us Cattlecar Galactica and Craprica..er.. Caprica. You can tell by the fact that once again, they're trying to introduce another word for a "naughty" bodily function. In their previous efforts, they introduced the word "frak" to the English vocabulary. Now they're introducing another one for feces... It too begins with S... Shtako..

So I gotta wonder how long it'll be before we start hearing people saying stuff like "Frak that shtako"?

At least they didn't repeat those nauseating zoom shots with the unsteady cam. Yet...

Could have been better, could have been worse.

The story barely got off the ground in the first 2 hours. There was only one plot development of note - and that one came in the last few minutes of the premier. I won't spoil it for anyone who missed it and wants to see it.

There was one slightly disconcerting alien race that I wasn't too thrilled with. That being the white bald headed people - namely the bad guy Ben and their doctor. They remind me of one of the races from THE most craptastically horrid movie ever made (which also was a sci fi spin on a classic spaghetti bender) - of course, I mean Battle Beyond the Stars... BBtS was a horrid remake of the classic movie The Magnificent Seven - which was a rip off of a Japanese classic The Seven Samurai.

I won't torture you with the sordidly horrid details of BBtS... Let's just say it came out not long after Star Wars - and every wannabe director and studio wanted to make another one just like it. This one was an epic FAIL...

And unless you're a serious masochist bent on self destruction, DO NOT rent BBtS! I do not take responsibility if you do rent it and then come complaining because you've gouged your eyes out in an effort to unsee the damn movie. You have been warned!

Let's just say those all white bald people are in BBtS (or a very similar looking race) and they have a really retarded part in that movie. Hopefully, they won't repeat that kind of retarded science in Defiance.

At any rate... I digress... I'm willing to give Defiance a couple more chances to impress.

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing the game on PS3. Somewhat similar to GW2 where you can just wander around and find stuff to do.

Graphics are a touch dated and there are still some connection issues at peak times during the big group battles.

A good fun game. As a mmo, launch was done well. Some issue, but not a ton.

The devs seem very receptive to the community.

-TV show, IMO, is average. Kinda campy. They seem to put the worse of the graphics/special effects in the first 15 minutes of the pilot. Plot is okay, acting seems good considering what they are working with.

• Like! 1