I've found a NEW easter egg in Sacred 2..!

Yes, and I want to know if the Grunwald area is named after the Grunwald from the epic office quest. Grünwald would translate as green forest and would be a fitting name for this forest area.

Only a metal-fan could find this. :D
Great find, btw.

Edit: Isn't the whole Dark-campaign an ode to "Enter Sandman"? After all, the Light "exits" and the Dark "Enters". ;)

Edit 2: One of the Sacred Games - I believe S:UW - had a tombstone with the text: "Don't ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolled for me!" Clearly a reference to this Metallica song

Thorin \m/

Edited by Thorin Oakshield

Yes, and I want to know if the Grunwald area is named after the Grunwald from the epic office quest. Grünwald would translate as green forest and would be a fitting name for this forest area.

Dunno if it was named after Grunwald - but yes, it does fit rather nicely since it's a green forest...

Only a metal-fan could find this. :D

Great find, btw.

Edit: Isn't the whole Dark-campaign an ode to "Enter Sandman"? After all, the Light "exits" and the Dark "Enters". ;)

Edit 2: One of the Sacred Games - I believe S:UW - had a tombstone with the text: "Don't ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolled for me!" Clearly a reference to

Thorin \m/

Of course... You won't catch me listening to Justin Hemorrhoid er..Bieberoid.. er Bieber..! BLEAH! My latest find is a UK speedmetal band called Dragonforce. They're kinda like Blind Guardian in so far as they delve into fantasy sword and sorcery kinda stuff.. The lead guitarists have insanely mad skills on the axe.

Not so sure the whole shadow campaign is quite an ode to Metallica or the Enter Sandman song... If you listen to the full lyrics of the theme song - a chorus in question did NOT get into the game, there's a bit about getting transformed by T-Energy starting at about 6:10 in this video.

The lyrics in question:

"And now I drown in deepest shadows

While the golden hall is sealed

I'm wishin - I'm fadin'

And I am part of the Machine.

My eyes are the eyes of a dead man

and feel the unholy stream

The source of my power

T-Energy

I'm in control

I'm in control"

The text in red was edited out of the concert in the game.

And btw.. This song was clearly written about a shadow warrior. He gets props twice in the song - once at 5:45 with the lyrics:

"Yesterday's gone

There's no today no tomorrow

I'm raised from the dead

The ritual failed."

Which is pretty much the way the Shadow Warrior gets his start in the game. The second mention is part of the first quote - "my eyes are the eyes of a dead man..."

Anyhow... I think the devs probably wanted to do the Shadow campaign and the whole planning of the game started there. They likely gave Hansi and company an early draft and that's what the song was based on. But they likely realized that a.) seraphim can't play the dark side and b.) public acceptance of the game wouldn't be that great with just the dark campaign - so they worked in the light vs shadow thing. The thing is - the shadows MUST win Sacred 2 in order for the events of Sacred 1 to take place. If the light campaign wins - the status quo remains the same. If the dark side wins, chaos reigns supreme, society crumbles to dust and we wind up with the Elves being not so much a factor as they once were - which is pretty much the state of affairs in Sacred 1...

And lastly.. The tombstone is in Sacred 2.. Specifically in the Artamark/Human region - specifically in that little cemetery just north of Valeview.

And no, it's no an ode to Metallica. It's an ode to Ernest Hemmingway who wrote the book "For Whom the Bell Tolls".. But the origin of the phrase goes even further back to 1624 - and is credited to John Donne and his work entitled "Devotions upon Emergent Occasions" where he writes:

"And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."

A better dissertation on the phrase and it's meaning can be found here...

The developers twisted the phrase around a bit at the end given bells (in this context) are funerary... And since the guy in the grave is dead.. Well. It wouldn't do very well to keep the phrase in it's original form.

An amusing side note - Metallica isn't the first to use the phrase "for whom the bell tolls" as a song title. The freakin' Bee Gees (yes, that's right, the "Vienna Boys Choir of disco") had a song by that title as well. The TV show "Married... With Children" also had an episode going by the same title. It's actually a fairly popular phrase.

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

Well, now I can stop any possible learning processes for the day. Thanks for some great info Wolfie. :)

And I should get myself into listening to Dragonforce one of these days. It's just that I kinda only listen to progressive metal, when Western music is in question nowadays.

Oh, but I do listen to Certain Blind Guardian album almost religious every now and then. The one with Sacred Worlds as a starting song. :P

Ain't that song kinda like Sacred 2's theme or something? Why would there be otherwise so many homages to the game? Just wondering.

Anyways, in the most polite possible way; Gogo and Schot, please, tone down the dark hordes smashing for an itty bitty moment for the wiki.

Pretty please, with the cherry on the top. *puppyeyes*

Well, now I can stop any possible learning processes for the day. Thanks for some great info Wolfie. :)

And I should get myself into listening to Dragonforce one of these days. It's just that I kinda only listen to progressive metal, when Western music is in question nowadays.

Oh, but I do listen to Certain Blind Guardian album almost religious every now and then. The one with Sacred Worlds as a starting song. :P

Ain't that song kinda like Sacred 2's theme or something? Why would there be otherwise so many homages to the game? Just wondering.

Anyways, in the most polite possible way; Gogo and Schot, please, tone down the dark hordes smashing for an itty bitty moment for the wiki.

Pretty please, with the cherry on the top. *puppyeyes*

Sacred Worlds - the song on the album IS an extended version of the theme song from Sacred 2. The main difference between the album version and the radio edit version that wound up in the game is twofold.

1.) The album version got the "Days of Future Past" treatment - I.e. the full orchestral accompaniment - which made a 4 minute song go to almost 10 mins.

2.) The game version has a few lines edited out - the parts mentioned above about getting transformed by T-Energy.

As far as Dragonforce goes - the BEST place to start would be with their song "

" which I actually nominated as theme music for Sacred 3... :D

It's not so much metal being played at warp factor 9.9, it's more Renaissance Fair metal... It sounds like something you could hear being played at one.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wolfie - thanks for sharing the full version of the game song. I had no idea that there was an extended version! More importantly I now know what to do for my 40th birthday next year - Sacred 2 karaoke in German...

Actually.. I didn't either - until I looked up Blind Guardian on Youtube... I was kind of curious as to what other music they've done and lo and behold there was the extended version - along with other goodies they've done in the past.

From there I found out they did an album called Sacred Worlds - and they did the full, extended version as the opening track.

Sacred 2 karaoke..? In German? Um.. OK.. :scare2:

Wolfie: You mean At The Edge of The world? That album has Sacred Worlds as an opening track.

Kinda only reason I bought that album in the first place. :P Good thing though, been buying couple of older Blind Guardian albums thanks to that. Namely A Twist in the Myth and Night Falls on Middle-Earth. The latter being quite nice concept album into Tolkien's world.

Sorry for nitpicking, just thought to say. :blush:

"New."

Or maybe no one thought it was worth reporting since characters say all kinds of goofy things.

New - as it never got posted to the wiki. Since when has anything "goofy" in the game ever stopped us from reporting easter eggs? Most of them are kinda goofy anachronisms - like the guy on the Artamark side of the Dragon Maw Pass. He talks like an old East German soldier welcoming people to communist East Berlin back in the day. Most wouldn't know who or what that was about - unless you were born well before 1989 when the wall fell and the two German states were reunited into modern Germany.

Wolfie: You mean At The Edge of The world? That album has Sacred Worlds as an opening track.

Kinda only reason I bought that album in the first place. :P Good thing though, been buying couple of older Blind Guardian albums thanks to that. Namely A Twist in the Myth and Night Falls on Middle-Earth. The latter being quite nice concept album into Tolkien's world.

Sorry for nitpicking, just thought to say. :blush:

No.... I mean At the Edge of Time by Blind Guardian which has the song Sacred Worlds as it's opening number. :D You're right - my bad...

I was just playing through the Underworld campaign - and I was slogging through the Dwarven Cemetary and found something rather amusing...

Has anyone noticed the name Ettol'Rahc-Notwen - the name behind the bow set item Ettol'Rahc-Notwen's Breeze, was merely a rather plain English name spelled backwards?

Ettol'Rahc-Notwen is Charlotte Newton backwards.

Thinking this at least deserves an Easter egg of it's own - or at the very least a footnote on the weapon/set's page.

post-14586-0-74080300-1367700931_thumb.jpg

Also found in the same graveyard - Solwemyr's Trial... Solwemyr = M. Worsley

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • 3 weeks later...

STILL more stuff floating to the top after all this time...

Found a new addition to the Bruno the Bear easter egg...

In Thylysium, there's a little girl on the west side who lost her teddy bear - named BRUNO... And she'd like you to retrieve him from the sewers...

How this got past everyone - it's a mystery. DOH!

Love all these new posts with yummy info...I'm especially interested in Knuckles' topic over at the SIF... delicious info...there's stuff there that's surprising info re the names.

Wolfie, that bear keeps coming up with more goodies^^

:)

gogo

STILL more stuff floating to the top after all this time...

Found a new addition to the Bruno the Bear easter egg...

In Thylysium, there's a little girl on the west side who lost her teddy bear - named BRUNO... And she'd like you to retrieve him from the sewers...

How this got past everyone - it's a mystery. DOH!

I'm pretty sure that is documented as a Seraph only quest. I vaguely remenber Fox talking about it when she documented it.

Um.. No... It's a general quest - light only, IIRC... The quest is called "Bruno the Teddy Bear" - that link sends you to the wayback machine's limited version of the original post.

Love all these new posts with yummy info...I'm especially interested in Knuckles' topic over at the SIF... delicious info...there's stuff there that's surprising info re the names.

Wolfie, that bear keeps coming up with more goodies^^

:)

gogo

And we've got NO place to put the new stuff...

Edited by wolfie2kX

I remembered that detail wrong then, but it is in the wiki.

We really do need the wiki back. Going off of memory just doesn't work all that well.

Edited by Ysne58

The thing is - the Bruno the Bear Easter Egg has NOTHING to do with the Bruno the Teddy Bear quest.

Chattius (IIRC) put the Bruno the Bear egg up - it had to do with conversations overheard having to do with a bear that had been leaving the woods and visiting some village or other to raid the garbage and something about some politician who's name was used in the game as the hunter who was after the critter.

There was NO cross link to the quest.

And yes, we really do. Try writing a book based on Sacred 2 without having access... It's NOT easy.

• 3 weeks later...

No.. :( It isn't. BUT I found yet another Easter Egg! Shadow Warrior - approaching the second destination in the Swamp region - says "All we remains is dust in the wind" Clearly a homage to the 70's Kansas classic rock entry of the same name...

Edited by wolfie2kX

Is there any help we can give to get the wiki back up and running? I miss being able to go and research something if I'm playing and need to know asap... :smart:

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

If you need another place to host it, Dark Creations would likely be interested. It is already hosting other wikis. A good example is Better Cities (an addition to Oblivion.

http://www.darkcreations.org/better-cities/wiki/Quests

I am a global moderator there I'd be happy to make introductions if you would like to look into that.

If you need forum hosting, that is also available.

http://www.darkcreations.org/get-hosted

Edited by Ysne58