As some of you - especially those who visited the SIF when Sacred: Underworld was "Hot" - might know, I've written some stories over time. Somewhere at the SIF one might find a link to a story based upon S:UW, but it isn't about that I write.

I've been writing stories for over 20 years now, first in Dutch, then in English. A few years after I began writing I contacted several publishers, asking if they were interested in my stories. Most of them didn't reply at all - so far for politeness, eh? - one of them politely denied, telling the kind of story I wrote wasn't what the market would like to see and one publisher asked to see one of my manuscripts. After I mailed it to them, I never got a reply.

So, not long after that, I began writing in English. Partially, because I was hoping I might access the Dutch market, using the English speaking market as back-door; partially because someone mentioned that my posts of a contest I was participating in looked more like a chapter of a book.

The story based upon S:UW was / is the best I achieved so far and despite a lot of comments telling I had to publish it, finding a publisher was almost impossible.

Until November last year, when I got contacted by a publisher from the UK; who seemed to be interested in publishing my S:UW story. That was, until they found out where I was from. Apparently they wouldn't publish if you weren't a UK citizen; which I'm not. Things went even a bit nasty with them, when my contact demanded I paid the consumptions I had when we met, forgetting I had paid a lot more for the ticket and hotel room, since the meeting was in London. And all just to hear they won't publish my story. Something that could've been done by mail as well. (Minor reminder: never attack a Dutch person's wallet. You'll pay dearly for it [pun intended])

Suffice to say, eventually I got all my costs back, and didn't have to pay for my consumption; after I mailed the entire publisher our "correspondence"; in which was already mentioned I'm from the Netherlands, since (quote) "I'm able to take a flight from Schiphol Airport at 09:00 CET at December 20th, thus arriving at Stanstead Airport at 09:00 GMT. Transportation to London takes about 45 minutes, but I'm unsure how long it takes to get through customs; meaning that I'm able to meet you at 10:30 GMT earliest" (end of quote). And my "contact" got sacked as well.

Anyway, that was my 2nd attempt to find me a publisher and my 2nd failure.

Two weeks ago, I got that itch to find me a publisher. A Dutch one again, this time.

So I browsed the net and found by accident a publisher which is prepared to publish stories the moment they think the story's worth it. Or not, if they think it's crap.

More important for me, they're prepared to publish the book(s) in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Austria for sure, and most likely in Spain, Hungary and English speaking countries as well. Meaning, the moment I get my story published, it's published in several countries.

Either way, I've taken my story based upon S:UW and mailed to them; telling it's in English, but that I'm prepared to do the translation myself, if needed. However, since they got an English website as well, they might publish it in the UK too. I'll look into that later.

For those who'd like to know more: look here.

For those who don't want to know more, don't look there.

Still, I hope all of you wish me luck. I certainly am going to need it.

Thorin :)

Edited by Thorin Oakshield
  • Like! 1

Break a leg! :D (and I mean that in the best possible way. Show biz people tend to be quite superstitious and directly wishing them positive fortune amounts to the kiss of death. Since stories are a part of the entertainment industry, well. you get the idea.)

All the best wishes for your story to be published. Will they publish as far as South Africa? keep us updated if you don't mind.

Delta!

Hope the third time is the charm that preceeds your meteoric rise to fame. What byline should we look for?

It's going to take a bit longer as I thought because for some reason I lost the original version of the story I had in mind to mail.

Meaning I had to copy the story from the website into a word document.

That also meant I need to do a lot of editing, as the story I put on the net is full of BBcodes.

I discovered it also was full of spelling and grammar mistakes; which now can be corrected.

Of course, I got that "wonderful" excuse to claim that English isn't my native language, but I still like to have things close to perfect whenever possible.

So I'll keep you posted the moment I do have something to post about.

If there are people who'd like to (re-)read it, let me know and I'll add a link to this topic.

@ Spock: the original title was:

"The Brotherhood of the Brave

A Sacred Fairy tale"

I've changed that into:

"The Fellowship of the Brave

A Sacred Fairy tale

Thorin :)

Since you've already changed "Brotherhood" to "Fellowship", why not change "Brave" to "Ring". I bet you'd have a best seller! :)

Edited by Spock