Looking for some general Inquisitor advice

I am currently trying out all of the classes in Sacred 2 (PC). I have completed Silver with a Seraphim (Dual Wield+Celestial), meanwhile I have a High Elf (Pyro), a Dryad (Bow+Nature) and a Shadow Warrior (Two-Handed Hafted Pure Melee) all just past the Seraphim Isle. I was looking to start an Inquisitor next, but am no so sure how to build him.

Since I do not have a character using them yet, I was thinking Pole-Arms, and I was interested in doing a Hybrid (similar to my Seraphim). I am confident I can sort out the Skills for the build, but I am less sure on Combat Arts. Almost every guide for the Inquisitor starts with the disclaimer that it needs specific gear or high-level shopper/smithing support. I want to be self-supporting. Most guides also seem to be triple-aspect, which I would prefer not to do unless absolutely necessary (just my personal taste).

Gruesome Inquisition: Callous Execution and Ruthless Mutilation seem as though they would be at the core of a melee build. Morifying Pillory does not seem terribly interesting (on paper), though Frenetic Fervour seems useful. I am really concerned about Purifying Chastisement, however, as I am not a fan of high-risk/high-reward.

Astute Supremecy: Levin Array just seems fun, while Clustering Maelstrom seems as though it would have the Area of Effect the build would need. Raving Thrust does not strike me as terribly exciting. Zealous Doppelganger seems useful, but probably not critical, while Reverse Polarity seems almost a no-brainer.

Nefarious Netherworld: Dislodged Spirit seems like it would be a fantastic debuff. Paralysing Dread in a combo with Frenetic Fervour sounds like it could be interesting. Inexorable Subjugations seems better suited to a pure caster build; possibly Eruptive Desecration too, though perhaps the Area of Effect could be good for a hybrid? Soul Reaver sounds fun, but probably too many issues (ie situations where you cannot get souls) for my liking.

Would a Pole-Arm hybrid build work fine with little-to-no outside support? If so, could I have a little advice on Aspects and Combat Arts. I can work out Modifications, but I cannot make a decission on the selection of CAs. Since the Inquisitor has higher Dexterity than Strength, is it work my while using Dex-based Pole-Arms over Str-based ones? People often state that the Inquisitor is harder to play, but not so much clarification as to why: are there any pitfalls I need to be wary of? Should I start on Bronze rather than Silver if he is harder?

Sure can work. Acutally the Inquisitor is one of the better polearm users because of Ruthless Mutilation and Regeneration per Hit (and polearms' scaling ability to hit additional opponents). The best build would use Clustering Maelstrom to gather a bunch of dudes at one point, and after the CM damage, a good strong swipe thru the crowd with your beatstick can fully recharge your CA's / combo and you are ready for the next crowd. So, a mostly-magic based toon based around Astute Supremacy with a dash of Rutless Mutilation and Frenetic Fervor. Choose between Levin array and Raving Thrust, LA is better in the early-going where RT is better late-game (Plat/Niob). Doppelganager can be made into a buff if you so choose or you can skip the Concentration skill altogether - Inquistors are the squishiest toons so an extra defensive skill is always nice.

Your analysis of the combat arts is pretty good... although Purifying Chastiment and Soul Reaver are just fine as buffs if you have the toon built properly.

Happy Hunting!

First off, anything can be made to work. The question is - how well does it work?

Personally, I would NOT skip Concentration. The purpose of Concentration is to reduce regen times - and that is ALWAYS a good thing. It also gives you a second and eventually, on mastery, a 3rd buff.

Having a shopper is OK, but since you can take Bargaining as a primary skill (one of only 3 characters you can do that with), why bother? Keep in mind that on the PC version, you can't use stuff that's beyond your level cap - I.e. you can't use say, level 200 rings in a level 20 character's armor/weapons. The armor or weapon's level jumps to level 200 and that's the end of it. It works differently on consoles - if you socket level 200 rings or ammys into level 20 gear, it stays level 20.

As I think I mentioned previously - the Inquisitor is one of the few instance I actually like combos. Namely using Clustering Maelstrom followed by the Levin Array. Clustering Maelstrom creates a singularity that sucks in all of your opponents, smacking them into each other followed by Levin Array to zap them into the next life. With Combat Discipline, you can also add Ruthless Mutilation to mop up any mobs that survived the first two attacks.

If you're doing Pole Arms, by all means do take the Pole Arms skill. And you could do Dex based pole arms.

As for why it's considered more difficult... It's likely because the skills and tactics are not quite as obvious as say, for a Seraphim. For a Seraphim, it's fairly easy - Dual Wield + a pair of good swords + tactics lore = Bob's your uncle. But with the Inquisitor, you kind of have to approach things a bit differently. Yes, Inquisitors can be squishy - but not any more than High Elves. Inquisitors aren't exactly tank characters. They're better off not getting up close and personal with the enemy. When I built mine - I went with a shuriken though I also have a Gisarme and a 2 handed sword - all with LL%... Along with the previously mentioned combo, I don't have too many problems...

By all means look for weapons that have +LL% and use them well. As I always say - the best way to beat the game is to kill your enemies quickly and efficiently before they have a chance to kill you. The big difference between a fixed Life Leech and the Life Leeched percentage - with the fixed variety, you're always going to leech a fixed amount. With the Percentage based variety, the amount varies based on the enemy's hit points. AND as always wear or socket RpH based jewelry. This allows you a bit more leeway when it comes to higher regen times from eating an extra rune or two.

Also, avoid eating while visiting Ruka - the big circular city in the Orc region. The quests there... Well, I won't spoil things too much - just avoid eating before doing the quests there. Some of them are kind of revolting. Let's just say some Orc cuisine is quite nasty... Far worse than the in-game book "Orcish Cusine" would let you believe.

Edited by wolfie2kX

I think I understand. The Dual Wield Seraphim is a melee fighter who has a little support magic, while the Inquisitor is a caster who has a little support melee. To be honest, I did not see that; little wonder it is considered a more complex character.

This is what I am thinking:

* Reverse Polarity as the primary buff. Perhaps later mod Purifying Chastisement for defense (Merciless/Inure) as a little bonus, but not central as in a high-risk/high-damage build. *Perhaps* make Zealous Doppelganger into a buff too (I can make that decission after I get a feel for the character).

* Clustering Maelstrom + Levin Array for dealing with regular mobs. Mop-up with melee.

* Astute Supremecy does not seem terribly good against bosses or lone Champions, so perhaps Ruthless Mutilation + Callous Execution is the best bet? I could use some clarification on Inquisitor vs bosses.

EDIT: (revised my thoughts)

* Perhaps Skills something like this:

02) Tactics Lore (to 5 for PAL, then 9 to Gold-mod RM; master fourth or fifth)
03) Astute Supremecy Lore (master at 75)
05) Pole Arm Lore (master at 75)
08) Combat Discipline [enhance combos rather than double buffs]
12) Armour Lore (master at 75)
18) Gruesome Inquisition Focus (just to 21)
25) Astute Supremecy Focus (just to 21)
35) Constitution (master fourth or fifth)
50) Toughness
65) Bargaining

* Combat Arts:

Ruthless Mutilation: Ire, Petrify, Frenzy (first priority; done early)
Callous Execution: Bleed, Lacerate, Judgement (second priority; done mid-to-late Silver)
Frenetic Fervor: Faith?, Resolve, Relentless (left until later)

Reverse Polarity: Rebound, Counterblow, Evade (first priority; done very early)
Clustering Maelstrom: Chaos, Vortex, Vortex (second priority; done early)
Levin Array: (decide later), Hesitation, Dynamic (third priority; done over Silver)

Edited by Elric of Grans

I did a few melee inquisitors with no deaths through gold. Before changing the skills they were dying. The difference between life and death was having both toughness and armor maxed. And rather than the second buff doppelganger I like purifying chastisement with mitigation as the gold mod. If you stack toughness mitigation, PC, and armor mastery all channel you can finally get some defense to the inquisitor.

Another thing I found was that fighting on the spider was a good thing for ruthless mitigation because you have more surface area on the big spider body.

I wouldn't neglect the PC buff - it gives you more damage - spells and melee, crits, damage mit option, magic damage boost - meaning native(unsocketed magic damage) magic on weapons will be boosted* - a few polearms have that IIRC.

Skill picks are good - pretty much what I would pick.

Make sure you have a really high attack value if your gonna use LL% and RpH

Bosses - I'd use frenetic fervour, LL% polearms, Raving thrust, maybe even unmodded paralysing dread.

I had a Polearms SW - NIOB level 118. May have to try an Inquisitor one.

I think I understand. The Dual Wield Seraphim is a melee fighter who has a little support magic, while the Inquisitor is a caster who has a little support melee. To be honest, I did not see that; little wonder it is considered a more complex character.

This is what I am thinking:

* Reverse Polarity as the primary buff. Perhaps later mod Purifying Chastisement for defense (Merciless/Inure) as a little bonus, but not central as in a high-risk/high-damage build. *Perhaps* make Zealous Doppelganger into a buff too (I can make that decission after I get a feel for the character).

* Clustering Maelstrom + Levin Array for dealing with regular mobs. Mop-up with melee.

* Astute Supremecy does not seem terribly good against bosses or lone Champions, so perhaps Ruthless Mutilation + Callous Execution is the best bet? I could use some clarification on Inquisitor vs bosses.

* Perhaps Skills something like this:

02) Astute Supremecy Lore (master at 75; mod RP, then CM, then LA) --- build past 75 later to mod ZD?

03) Tactics Lore (only to 5 to silver mod RM, then master later)

05) Armour Lore (master at 75) --- swap AL with Con?

08) Pole Arm Lore (master at 75)

12) Concentration (1 for dual-buff, then master later) --- master last?

18) Gruesome Inquisition Focus (9 to silver mod CE, then 21 later)

25) Astute Supremecy Focus (1, then 21 later)

35) Constitution (1, then master later) --- master fourth?

50) Toughness (1, then master later) --- master fifth?

65) Bargaining (focus on +skill gear to master later)

Umm.. That's a couple of broad generalities but you're kind of on the right track. The Seraphim DO have plenty of magic - they have an entire aspect - Celestial Magic - devoted to it. It's just they're better at the melee stuff. Think the difference in agility between say, a 20 year old fitness fanatic vs a 50 year old guy who's not really into hitting the gym. The 20 year old will be able to run circles around the 50 year old every time. This is not to say that an Inquisitor can't do melee... They can, they just aren't quite as skilled at it. The Inquisitor needs to be a bit more skilled at using his wits than using brute strength to get things done.

OK. Your build looks reasonable. I'd do things maybe a bit differently. I'd maybe get Astute Focus earlier - before GI focus. And I'd definitely throw points into the focuses and Concentration SOONER, rather than later. CAs are very powerful and need to be kept spammable - that is you need to throw them at your enemies sometimes in rapid succession. Having RpH is good but you want to be able to eat a few extra runes here and there to make things more powerful instead of just relying on socketables and/or lore points.

Getting stuff to mastery is a good thing but it shouldn't be all important above all else. It will come soon enough.

I'd also consider getting Bargaining sooner, rather than later. The reason - The Inquisitor doesn't get Enhanced Perception so whatever drops he finds will tend to suck rotten eggs. Waiting until level 65 to be able to find decent stuff at merchants ... That's dangerous.... In fact, I'd go ahead and get it say at level 5, moving everything else down a notch and I'd make it a bit more of a priority than some of the others. With Ice and Blood, there's a major nerf on +All Skills and such so you will need to put points toward it.

All in all, the skill choices you've made look like a reasonably workable set.

Thank you for the advice.

I have been mucking about in Bronze, to get a feel for the class. CM+LA is a whole lot of fun, but I was horrified how long the regen was on it. Clearly, I do need to put a little more priority into the Focus skill. Concentration also seems more important than Combat Discipline for the same reason. Taking that, I guess PC as a second buff will make up for the lost damage and Inure sounds like a useful benefit to survivability. I will also try boosting the priority on Bargaining. I am now thinking:

02) Astute Supremecy Lore (critical for Mods and damage)
03) Tactics Lore (good for mods and damage, but less critical)
05) Bargaining (will balance with combat Skills)
08) Pole Arm Lore (critical to benefit from Life Leech/Regen on Hit; probably more important than TL)
12) Concentration (for dual-buff and better regen)
18) Astute Supremecy Focus (get to 21 for regen; maybe more later)
25) Gruesome Inquisition Focus (get to 21 for regen)
35) Armour Lore (regen and survivability)
50) Constitution (survivability)
65) Toughness (survivability)

I will then mod (in order):

1) Purifying Chastisement: Mystic, Eradicate, Inure
2) Ruthless Mutilation: Ire, Petrify, Frenzy
3) Callous Execution: Bleed, Lacerate, Judgement

1) Reverse Polarity: Rebound, Counterblow, Evade
2) Clustering Maelstrom: Chaos, Vortex, Vortex (possibly leave Gold until after LA Bronze)
3) Levin Array: Disperse, Hesitation, Dynamic

EDIT:

Holy Hannah!? I have started this character in Silver and already died four times. I have still not even reached the first town! I cannot hit anything with melee, and Levin Array is too weak/long regen to take them out. I meleed the first five levels with my High Elf and did not have any trouble!

Edited by Elric of Grans

The Inquisitor is the second-hardest toon to start in silver "untwinked" (without gear from other toons/chest). Temple Guardians deffo have it hardest there.

That said, the best advice I have is not to rush into Elysium too fast, the undeads will be very tough. Grinding out some kobold groups and finding a few runes and a couple of slotted items to make yourself a buff suit ASAP and mod Rev. Pol. asap to cover melee damage. Alternatively, you can just grind in Bronze until level 12 or so and things should be somewhat easier to get back into Silver.

Good Luck!

Sadly the easiest Inquisitor beginning is not really playable the longrun:

cluster and predamage packs and turn them to slaves one by one

reverse polarity will move some of your damage to your slaves

the slaves will split up mobs so you take less damage

-

But bossfights are almost impossible before having x% life leech weapons for the doubleganger with this approach

In my opinion, any type of melee Inquisitor is better picking Nefarious Netherworld for a focus. Gruesome Inquisition relies too much on the Inquisitor taking damage in order to increase damage output. With the Soul Reaver buff, your Inquisitor will have tons of attack and defense as well as some healing if you mod it correctly.

I started over in Bronze. I took my time to get a few levels, some runes and some basic gear. I then tried Silver again and this time it was far smoother. Challenging, but not plain absurd. I have just reached Thylysium at level 14 (much higher than normal) and have even taken on the Kobald Chief. The small groups of undead you find fighting Kobalds on the way to Thylysium were indeed challenging (I will need a few more levels before I consider taking on more than three at a time), but again not insurmountable. I can see this being slower progress than the others, but I am gradually making headway.

You ganked Ghanka? :D

Job well done! Don't hesitate to ask if you get 'stuck' again, but the beginning is usually the hardest part for the Inquisitor.