Kewl...

My smoking habit has been going in a slightly different direction. A buddy of mine found an ad somewhere that promised a carton of any kind of cigarette at $25. I just had to check it out. That's pretty much half price of what the going rate happens to be.

It turns out these are all natural pure tobacco leaf without any of those nasty chemicals they put on them to make them stop burning. You also have to make them yourself. That's the bad news. The good news - they have a machine there at the store where they give you a 5 minute tutorial as to how to load the thing and how it works. Once they hook you up with the goods, you spend about 15 mins or so assembling your cigs.

There's more good news. My first carton of these DIY smokes lasted an entire week. On average, I'd go through 2 packs of regular cigs a day. So I went down from 14 packs in a week to 10.

The gal at the store mentioned that she had seen this sort of thing before. Her boss' wound up smoking a lot less as well. These cigs are more satisfying than the commercial brands so you find yourself wanting less. They're also less harsh than the commercial varieties. So it's all good.

• Like! 1

And now being on the e-cigs I found my smoking patterns change. Where they were dictated by social and work parameters I am now 'free' to puff at any time. And I find I'm actually smoking much less. I started with disposables and at first one of those would last maybe 2 days...now it's 5-7 days. Think I'm slowly weaning myself off them...not that I'm intentionally doing it...but I don't mind this side-effect :P

Glad they are working out for you Knuckles! Especially if they allow you to keep working or hanging out with friends without having to go off to smoke, that's great! :)

Edited by Ryanrocker
  • Like! 1

This topic really has nothing to do with my daughter or any other kid. I would not allow her to do anything that unhealthy or illegal. This topic was simply about my attempts to break a bad habit.

• Like! 1

This topic was simply about my attempts to break a bad habit.

Sounds like the attempts are becoming pretty successful with the above story :agreed:

Thanks Ryan....tried so many times and failed that it was depressing.......biggest thing is I have NO craving for a real cigarette....for the 1st time in 35 years I think I can really beat it this time

Thanks Ryan....tried so many times and failed that it was depressing.......biggest thing is I have NO craving for a real cigarette....for the 1st time in 35 years I think I can really beat it this time

Well your lungs will certainly appreciate the switch over :) I wonder if E-Cigs will become the new norm if enough users find them to be excellent alternatives. I know my college up in Boston was trying to pass a regulation for no smoking on school property, but E-Cigs were allowed so perhaps they are becoming more mainstream?

I managed to quit in 1988. I used knitting and crochet to help me get through. Of course that is another addiction altogether. My sister still uses the lozenges but has been off cigarrettes for a long time.

I've had more than one "mental" health professional tell me that nicotine is one of the hardest chemicals to kick, right next to cocaine.

I don't know much about the e-cigs or how they work.

The problem with e-cigs are the missing laws. Cigarettes can harm others. E-cigs are not researched fully. There is no law which forces a manufacturer to print the contents and the concentration of the liquids on the box. Medium nicotin concentration and vanilla aroma just says nothing. What is medium, how much of the liquid is inhaled, how much gets into the air? Which aroma is used, does it chemical change at higher temperature....

As long a weak concentration liquid can have more nicotin than a strong one, how will you know that you actually really reduce your nicotin consume.

Is it allowed at your place to smoke e-cigs at public places? Here Schools don't allow them, bus and short distance train don't allow, my wife doesn't tolerate them in our house,..

Is there a technical savety control for the mechanism? Two weaks ago newspaper wrote about an exploding ecig.

Boeing is going to start charging $50 per month extra on medical insurance if you smoke, this includes e-cigarettes. Their position is smoking is smoking. Thank heavens I was able to break my 40 plus years (2 pack a day) habit using Chantix 7 years ago.

I will admit there are times (high stress or playing GW2 with Max and lujate :-]) I do miss them but it passes fairly quickly.

Good luck Knuckles.

Nah.. Cocaine - from what I've heard - is not that difficult to kick. Cocaine - as it's been explained to me - is more psychological than physical. Nicotine is just as much a physical dependency as a psychological thing.

Alcohol and opioids are MUCH nastier dependencies than either cocaine or nicotine. I've watched people detox from raging drunk to sober - and it is NOT a pleasant thing to watch. Been there, done that - and I would rather not do that again.

Nah.. Cocaine - from what I've heard - is not that difficult to kick. Cocaine - as it's been explained to me - is more psychological than physical.

Psychological is sometimes much stronger than any physical strength ;)

No... I don't think you quite get it - and quite frankly, I hope you NEVER do. I honestly do hope you don't ever get involved with anyone who is addicted to alcohol or other drugs. They are nothing but BAD freakin' news.

There was a woman I was living with many years ago, I watched her roller coaster through hard core alcohol addiction - and trust me, it's not something you want to go through with anyone.

I'm talking about gran mal epileptic fits - one second they're standing there talking to you, the next they're on the floor flopping about like a fish out of water. There are other side effects of coming off booze that are equally ugly - and even possibly fatal.

Comparatively speaking, you just don't get stuff like that with cocaine or nicotine withdrawals. The woman in question called cocaine a "baby" drug in comparison - mainly because the effects of withdrawals are relatively minor. Nicotine, OTOH, has physical symptoms. You FEEL withdrawals - typically called "nicotine fits" - which is why we have entire industries geared to help people kick the habit - patches, drugs, etc...

I have a nicotin free tobacco replacement which would ruin the cigaret industry, robbing countries of their high tobaco taxes, change global finances and banks,... So I better not post it.

It was invented by my grandgrandpa in march 1945.

March 1945 war reached our area. Thousands of forced workers were set free and some started marauding the area because the towns they were were out of food.

Diary from grandgrandma: From 8 cows only 1 survived the marauding. All pigs and half of the hens got slaughtered. Stored food, sellfmade wine and tobacco leaves got robbed. Neighbour wife got two fingers cut off when she couldn't remove rings quickly enough.

The problem was that all animals were reported before the marauding and farmers had to give food away to other people based on the registered numbers of stock.

So there was a big black market to exchange stuff to give the number of eggs and milk to the authorities which was demanded. This was the time when my grandgrandpa got creative and invented selfmade cigarets, shoe polish, ....

People with weak stomachs should look away:

walnut leaves, chopped woodruff, birch leaves, marinated iin a mix of herbs and ruined wine (not totally emptied wine bottles).

After 3 days of marinating the leaves were put in linnen and placed mid in a compost of horseapples to ferment and get the normally brown tobacco colour.

Somehow I fear that e-cig liquid producers use similiar mixes and that is the reason they don't report what is in. As I said it are missing laws: e-cigs are not a food, not a medical drug, not a tobacco product, not anything which law forces to be researched for its contents and the contents written on the package.

He was 74 when he sold it on black market and he lived for 19 more years without being lynched by unsatisfied customers, well selling was only till 1946.

Woodruff has coumarin, a blood thinner, fights some cancer types and fungus disease. However it is not allowed on other side of ocean because it is toxic to rodents which were used for testing its toxitity. But rodents have a different digesting system to humans and so it is still allowed in germany. Woodruff was used as a replacement for vanilla in cigarettes in old europe.

The fermenting also cracks some heavy carbon hydrogens= less tar.

But I never smoked and I won't start with this mix, well 64000$ .... Perhaps one cigarette for the taste ;)

Different countries have different laws too. But they haven't been studied enough and I do believe they should be required to list the ingredients. It's too early to say whether they can be reliably used to help reduce/eliminate smoking.

I know how much of a struggle this has been for you Knuckles. Exciting to see that you may have found something to finally help you off that terrible addiction. I'm considering buying my mother some ecigs. She's such a die hard smoker and has a terrible hacking cough. It's dreadful to hear. I know all too well the trials of kicking the habit. Good luck! :)

• Like! 1

E cigs may not be a 'healthy' alternative, but it's got to be a lot healthier than smoking. Once my lungs clear out from the years of abuse I hope to get back into biking and hiking. But let's see how I do tomorrow first :)

Nice! Biking at the Cape is amazing, I've been on bike trips there about 2-3 times and had a great experience each time :) Did you used to be an avid biker Knuckles?