Used to be an avid biker/runner. Did you ride down by the Cape Cod Canal or Nickerson State Park or National Seashore?

Used to luv running in the rain..can't explain it...but it was one of my favorite things to do...I just felt sooooo alive. Running is probably out due to my back probs but would like to get back into biking. That and scuba diving. Heck even long walks with my doggie would be great..We could both use the exercise (well she needs it more lol)

Not to pick on my dog, but she is extremely lazy....she gets tired waking up.

We bought a dog-scooter with quick release for the rope in case the dog runs to the side. Two leonsbergers with more than 100 pounds each could track the scooter with our second daughter at a nice speed.

Now after she has recovered from her car crash nearly except a thick scar at the lower leg muscle. She is at bicyling again. So I found myself using the scooter more and more to train the dogs.

Ever considered a scooter? They have their pros and cons, but having big dogs and to control them while running is a big pro.

E cigs may not be a 'healthy' alternative, but it's got to be a lot healthier than smoking. Once my lungs clear out from the years of abuse I hope to get back into biking and hiking. But let's see how I do tomorrow first :)

I'm so curious to see how this will go for you Knuckles. Do you have a smoker's cough? If you do I wanna read about the day you realize you don't have it anymore. :)

Yeah.. The Anti-Smoking extremists have taken over quite a few aspects of life. You can't smoke where you work, you can't smoke in public places like bars or restaurants - but the latest fascist dictates come from Glendale, California - you can't even smoke on the street. Doesn't matter if there's no one around.. You just can't even smoke anywhere people MIGHT show up.

Well, anything that helps you quit is surely a good thing. Hopefully you reap the benefits! Also, I think the latest quit campaigning in Australia is based around the fact that quitting becomes easier the more times you do it. So while you haven't been able to yet, perhaps one day!

That one might not be constitutional. I have very mixed feelings about going that far.

I agree... It's getting insane. The irony - you can't smoke even in a parking structure - one where there is plenty of car exhaust that puts out as much, if not more nasty stuff that can mess you up just as bad than a dozen people lighting up at once.

Hasn't gotten that crazy over on the east coast (yet). Just about every business has a designated smoking area...even the nuke plant and the LNG plants I go to have one. Though there is a law in legislation to ban smoking on beaches.

@Schot....never had the smoker's cough...1-2 packs a day for 35 years - you'd think I'd have one by now. Sense of smell is starting to come back, which is good and bad. Falling back in love with the smell of fresh baked bread but getting headaches again from the smell of gasoline :dntknw:

Isn't getting headaches again from the smell of gasoline actually a good thing? Imagine that you would inhale fuel gases without knowing...

Oh I could always smell gasoline, but it was muted. Now it hits me full force. Used to get headaches as a kid from it too.

• 1 month later...

NEWS:

German main court said e-cigarettes are no medical product, while nicotin patches are. E-cigarettes have no proven use for therapy for an addiction to smoking,

So they and the liquids are alllowed here to be sold freely and not only at a pharmacy/medical drugshop.

However the court is the opinion that they have to be controlled, doing a cap on the amount of nicotin in the liquid.

What was not put in the decision and is open for the money needing government: are they tobacco products even without needing a tobacco plant. Can they do smoking taxes on the e-cigarette and the liquids. This is not only money making, but also a way to allow to check the products for health riscs and prevent the import of not tested products.

• Like! 1

This is from a travel site concerning South Africa.

"South Africa became one of the first countries in the world to ban smoking in public places in 2000 when it introduced its Tobacco Products Control Amendment Act. The act put a serious dent in the smoking culture in South Africa, as it prohibited smoking in restaurants, pubs, shopping centres and offices where there was no separate, enclosed smoking room.

The South African smoking laws were tightened even further in 2009 when the government banned smoking in partially enclosed public places such as covered patios, verandas, balconies, walkways and parking areas, as well as smoking in cars where there were children under the age of 12 present. Children under the age of 18 were also prohibited from entering designated smoking areas and purchasing cigarettes.

There are stiff penalties associated with anti-smoking legislation in South Africa, including hefty fines for both the smoker and venue operator. Be aware that smoking is banned on all domestic flights in South Africa; in all airport terminals; in all restaurants, pubs and offices with no designated smoking areas; on all public transport; in cinemas and shopping malls; and even in some hotel rooms (check on booking).

South Africa’s smoking laws could be strengthened even more in future, so keep a look out for ‘no smoking’ signs and only smoke in designated smoking areas."

One good thing about our laws here... and we are also one of the first countries to allow same sex marriages.

I despise smoking and find it absolutely revolting, the smell afterwards makes me choke. A sad thing is that so many chefs that I have worked with smoke, and they have no desire to quite smoking, even though they would be able to taste and smell better.

Thankfully nobody in our immediate family smokes and we are all against smoking as well

Delta!

I despise smoking and find it absolutely revolting, the smell afterwards makes me choke.

Same here, the smoke makes my throat close up and my eyes start burning and my head aches. When I was a kid my grandmother always drove me around while smoking in the car without ever opening the windows. I hated it. Everyone in my family smoked, and most of my friends do now. It's one of a few automatic deal-breakers if I'm on a date. I don't even care that much about the health-aspects, just subjectively it makes me feel terrible and sick just to be around the smoke (and I don't have a problem with the smoke of other herbs, just tobacco).

I have sympathy for the constant struggle of beating nicotine addiction though. I've seen friends try and try over the years to stop. Usually the only way my family members have stopped is when they've had cardiac incidents or serious lung disease set in. I've been noticing E-Cigarettes increasing in visibility and have been wondering if there's anything to them. Here's hoping they help Knuckles and many people!

Edited by Flix

So far I've been cigarette-free for almost 3 months now. I actually tried a real cigarette a couple weeks ago. My body/brain still wants one. And couldn't make it past a couple puffs. After smoking for so long the thought that a cig would taste bad never occurred to me.

Really think that was the last real cig I'll ever have...pretty used to the E-Cigs now.

Only 'smoker' in our family is my brother. He had an e-pipe and is back to a normal one. He said he smoked like 10 minutes when returning from work while reading the newspaper with the normal pipe. But the quick readiness of an e-pipe made that like an hour a day at different times and locations for the electrical variant.

Even his non smoking wife said she liked the traditional pipe more, pipe smoke seems to be mpre aromatic than cigarette smike.

FDA is moving to start putting controls on it as far as minors go. There are some municipalities pushing to have them regulated like regular cigarettes. I have seen one report of two very limited studies that found them helpful for quitting smoking. Here is one link from National Geographic.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in 2 days I get to celebrate my 3 months without cigs...well real cigs...just had a checkup and doc said blood pressure is down (not that it was ever high...1st doc visit I remember him asking if I jogged regularly :) ) and that my face is more 'flush'

Over all to be honest I don't feel much different other than my sense of smell...that has vastly improved...but taste, stamina, energy etc seems about the same. Oh and a little richer I guess...was spending 100 bucks a week easy on cigs...now down to less than 15 (pack of 5 refill cartridges last about 10 days minimum) sometimes can go 2 weeks without getting refills. But basically went from 400+ dollars to about 30 a month.

Anyone really wanting to kick the habit but have never been able to do so, I would highly recommend this. Biggest issue I always had were habits. Not lighting up a smoke at certain times when I always had before. Like every time I got in my truck or went outside for a break. Not having anything really reminded me how much I missed smoking, but with e-cigs I can still get that mental satisfaction by puffing on them. Made it a lot easier not to have to break a bunch of habits at same time I was trying to quit.

• 2 weeks later...

There are studies that nicotin may prevent or help against the Parkinson disease. So perhaps e-cigs are not so bad. But on the other side: most medical drugs have not just one effect and not every one is a good one. So if the Parkinson founds are new, I wonder what else is hidden and not found yet.

People who stopped smoking seem to have a slightly higher chance to suffer from Parkinson later. But in my mathematical eyes the number of researched people is a bit to slow to allow a real test.

A pepperoni (and its nicotin) in the salade is already the dosis needed to stop Parkinson with a higher than normal probability. So I see no sense for me personally to start smoking :)

Nicotin is also in tomatos and potatos...