Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (MMO)

Will anyone here be playing? I already preordered it, and am waiting on release/early access at the end of August :)

One of the coolest things I think this game brings is the PS3/PC compatibility for both ends. Both PS3 players and PC players will be playing on the same servers, so if you have a friend that doesn't have a gaming computer but has a PS3 you'll be able to play with them ingame! On the reverse side of things, the PC version offers complete controller support. This means you can plug in a controller and get the same interface as the PS3 users :)

Another one of the unique concepts I like about this game is that there is no need for alternative characters. You can have them if you choose, but there are no real bonuses for doing so. This works nicely for a player like myself who usually makes a ton of alts and never gets to the endgame content with any of them. This system enforces me to stick with the character I'm currently playing.

Why do you not need alternative characters? This is because every character can be EVERY class and job, just not at the same time. You switch between classes by changing weapon sets, and switch jobs by talking to specific guild npcs. Classes are very generic and only dictate what style of weapons you use, whereas jobs are more specific roles in a party (tank, DPS, healer...etc.). Every character can "equip" two classes and one job at a time. This means you get skills from all three of those profession choices.

The business model they are using is the World of Warcraft model. This means you pay less for a digital/boxed version of the game and then pay a subscription fee every month you would like to play. This fee ranges from $13-$15 depending on how many character slots you want. I HATE sub games, but I really feel like this one has promise. Plus, if I don't enjoy myself after 3 months I can just stop paying and more on to greener pastures :D

Game Link: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/sys

Edited by Ryanrocker

I have heard good things about it, but I am not ready for a P2P game.

Yea, unfortunately that seems to be the main reason people don't want to play. But certainly to each their own, everyone has different gameplay styles they are comfortable with! :)

• 3 weeks later...

AHh I missed the Beta :(

It's okay, there were a LOT of connection issues and high traffic that Square Enix was not expecting, so many players (I believe 90,000) were locked out of the beta. We can only wait till early access on the 24th to see if these problems have been resolved :)

I want IT!

pardon.gif

The battles look pretty awesome. My pc right now however is not so awesome.

Luckily the game looks beautiful even on minimum settings! They had a lot of feedback from 1.0 about not being able to run on average rigs, but for ARR they have really tried to optimize performance to the best of their abilities. Also keep in mind that for $30 you get one month free :)

lol, this entire game's style is cheesy, I have always felt like I was playing a "canned" product, even back years ago on the Sega Genesis...but there's nothing wrong in feeling like that, it's an honest sentiment, and I'm proud to still have my moments.

Bring this game on I say!

:viking:

gogo

• 2 months later...

My first reaction was that the graphics are impressive. While I am not overly fond of the style they use for the people, the attention to detail on virtually everything is amazing.

For combat, it seems all the starting skills have a 2.5 second global cooldown (GCD). There is an auto-attack, but it seems to be on an even longer cooldown. A quick Google search told me that I was not alone with my concern regarding the GCD. The general consensus of the responses was to hang in there, because it gets better. I guess there are skills exempt from GCD, so by mid-level you will no longer be waiting so much on the GCD.

This GCD does not seem as bad on caster classes, since their skills have a 2.5 second casting time. They are not allowed to move while casting though, otherwise they interrupt themselves.

Bottom line, I will become a paying customer once the free month is up.

I saw a video of a level 50 character, and my first reaction was like : "omg there's so many buttons and so many things on the screen at once" . isn't it a little overwhelming at the beginning?

I have not seen any endgame screenshots from FF14, but I know the kind of pics you are talking about. They make me feel like I am looking through the peephole of my front door.

I have not had any problems with too many skills yet. You start with just a single skill and then slowly gain more. Here is a screenshot of my L16 Conjurer (healer).

ziw21j.png

1 & 2 are attacks

3 & 4 are heals

6 is healing potions

7 & 8 are buffs

9 is an out-of-combat resurrect

0 is magic potion (which I have never used)

- is to mark a target

= is swiftness