Where have I been?

That's quite an interesting question at this point. First off: busy job, still with my gf after almost 7 years now, and little gaming actually. I miss it, if I'm honest.

But now it's time for the not so fun stuff. Had a car accident on the freeway in january, which pretty much totalled my car, insurancewise. Thankfully, ahem, my insurance was minimal so everything had to be paid out of my own pocket and almost doubling my rates.

FFW a few months, we're in may. A long awaited holiday to Singapore, to see some relatives of my gf, and a trip to Bali, Indonesia. That's where life became different. 5 days into our trip on Bali, we received a phone call from my mum. The shop beneath our appartment had burned down. Our stuff was a mess. No home to go back to. Three months later, we've ended our lease on the appartment, staying at my to-be mother-in-law, and still living out of suitcases basically. The cleaning business where all our belongings are stored, is open from 7 to 16 on weekdays, practically making it impossible for us to go there with 2 fulltime jobs...

It's been crazy, and now it's starting to become quite the annoyance. But there you have it, that's where I've been!

Edited by Timotheus

Whow. I can't really remember the mess we had with a burn. I was 5 years. My dad was forced to move for installing generators at new powerplants which would have lasted 1 year. His company gave a temporary 3 weeks appartment till he would have found something he liked because he wanted us with him. All our stuff was stored at a mover company till we would move to the final appartment. And then there was a fire at the mover storage area. There are only 3 photos when I was below 5 years which the grandparents had a copy.

All photos from my mother as a girl were lost totally, ...

Hope you could save most of your memories. If the fire started below your apparment, depending on your local law there may be a chance to have some stuff professional restored. Not if it is cheaper to buy new, but stuff which has a historical value to your family. Like a photo which got wet from firefighting water. Other states you can put the costs for restoring on a list and have the tax you pay lowered for up to 3 years.

That's quite an interesting question at this point. First off: busy job, still with my gf after almost 7 years now, and little gaming actually. I miss it, if I'm honest.

But now it's time for the not so fun stuff. Had a car accident on the freeway in january, which pretty much totalled my car, insurancewise. Thankfully, ahem, my insurance was minimal so everything had to be paid out of my own pocket and almost doubling my rates.

FFW a few months, we're in may. A long awaited holiday to Singapore, to see some relatives of my gf, and a trip to Bali, Indonesia. That's where life became different. 5 days into our trip, we received a phone call from my mum. The shop beneath our appartment had burned down. Our stuff was a mess. No home to go back to. Three months later, we've ended our lease on the appartment, staying at my to-be mother-in-law, and still living out of suitcases basically. The cleaning business where all our belongings are stored, is open from 7 to 16 on weekdays, practically making it impossible for us to go there with 2 fulltime jobs...

It's been crazy, and now it's starting to become quite the annoyance. But there you have it, that's where I've been!

Timo, out of all that's happened, I'm just so happy you're safe, were not seriously hurt in that car accident! Don't get me going on insurance companies, they're there to only make money off of us, and attempt to market themselves as helpers instead of profit takers. News of your apartment burning down is tragic :(, and the frustration and annoyance of being out of a suitcase must be heavy on your time and stress levels.

Hope you at least got some good sun while away in Bali, it's one of the most beautiful places in the world, and for all the years I've known you, you have always had a resillient nature.

Keep strong, and keep coming here , don't forget about us, even a few words here for us is good enough.

:hugs:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

On one hand, we're okay, but on the other we're not. I'ts been very taxing psychologically speaking to have to go through it all during our holiday and after we came home. It still is, practically living out of our suitcases these 4 months...

Thankfully there are no personal items lost due to smoke damage, mostly clothes and electronics. Tomorrow we're having an appointment with the damage inspector, to have our belongings appraised for insurance. It's a big hassle, and it's frustrating that we can't get to our own personal items now. One, because the opening hours are horrible for a working person (7am-4pm), and two, because the place we're staying now does not allow much of our belongings here.

On the plus side, we found a 117m2 rental appartment in a city much more comfortable for our situation, for which we've been approved :) we'll be signing the lease on wednesday next week, and if all goes accordingly we'll be receiving the keys on the 30th. :):):)