The Dark Eye - Demonicon

I'm a bit surprised this wasn't picked up by the community, as this game is close to release now.

It's published by Kalypso Media, the same company which bought the franchise rights of most of Ascaron's games, and developed by Noumena.

Looking at the teaser and the screenshots I see several elements of the first Sacred, making me wonder if perhaps some of the old Ascaron crew have been working at this as well.

Perhaps you should check it out for yourself when watching the teaser...

or some screenshots at [url=http://www.worldofdemonicon.com/en/%5D%5Bb%5Dthe official website%5B/b][/url]

Thorin :)

• Like! 1

I'm a bit surprised this wasn't picked up by the community, as this game is close to release now.

It's published by Kalypso Media, the same company which bought the franchise rights of most of Ascaron's games, and developed by Noumena.

Looking at the teaser and the screenshots I see several elements of the first Sacred, making me wonder if perhaps some of the old Ascaron crew have been working at this as well.

Perhaps you should check it out for yourself when watching the teaser...

or some screenshots at

Well, I like the fact that Kalypso did it, that's nostalgia kicking in with Ascaron and all as you mentionned...but I kinda agree with the way podgie said it, it's not super exciting, that trailer... if I'm gonna spend tiem with a SP rpg, Witcher is looking hot right now isntead

:)

gogo

p.s. must say though, if you don't watch the trailer, and just listen to it...the first few seconds like a trailer from Sacred 2! :dance:

Among the screenshots are a bunch taken at the German Comic Com and they're looking a lot better.

Yet, I have to admit that the game looks a bit "oldfashioned" when it comes to graphics, compared to what I've played recently. But then, so did Diablo III and that was a real bummer.

I hope the storyline of The Dark Eye will be better as Diablo's. ;)

For the moment I'm going to do the same as Gogo; I'll keep an eye at this (as in "playing the demo if there's one"), but most likely am going to buy The Witcher 3 as that game attracts me a bit more.

• 2 months later...

I've decided to buy this game, but so far I've got mixed emotions about it. The main reason to get the game was that Steam had it at a 33% discount, which last up to December 3rd, if anyone wants to get it.

Now:

It does look a lot better as it does at the screenshots and trailer, but at the same time the controls are a bit awkward. Same is the way progress is saved; as that is only done at certain (fixed) save points.

Another disadvantage (imho, that is), is that this game has a lot of elements taken from The Witcher; most in particular that you need to learn a certain skill / attribute before you can pick up something. Think of picking up plants to create potions, using a notice board for side-quests, lockpicking and disarming traps. Another copy of The Witcher is the map lay-out. The prologue is set at a point you later can't visit anymore, after which you enter to a city, which is split in several quarters. And you can only visit them if you got a permit to enter one of them.

Last disadvantage I noticed is that this game is ported from the consoles and you certainly can notice that! You often need to use two buttons to release a spell or special move, while fighting is done by repeated clicking at the target.

So, is there nothing good at this game? Oh, yes, there certainly is.

First of all the way it looks. Although the colours are a bit faint, once in a while, the level of detail is quite remarkable. Each and every character you can interact with, got some basic moves, but everything is voice-acted; making the game more enjoyable as well.

You got a total of 4 major skills (with 2 passive skills for each one of them), 4 secondary skills (with 2 active attributes), 4 combat move trees (and each of them having two improvements for each chosen step) and 4 gift trees (consider them as magic trees); also with 2 improvements for each chosen step. It all has influence at how you build your char and how complicated your char becomes.

Another good thing in this game is that everything you do has its effect at the surrounding area. If you decide to favour one faction of the other, the other faction might become hostile sooner or later.

As for the story line: I haven't played that far into the game yet, but it looks familiar. So expect a minor spoiler warning here:

SPOILER WARNING!

The game starts when you arrive at a gate closing the entrance to a cave. There are some monsters in there, but the most important opponent is what turned out to be a cannibal; using blood magic to improve himself. Of course you need to defeat this bugger and to do that you have to use a gift, you got when your blood and that of your sister accidently mixed when you were tending her wounds.

After the boss is defeated, you enter the city's refugee camp, where you learn more about your sister's forthcoming marriage with the 2nd in command of a specific order (sounds familiar, does it?). After an argument, you leave the party and have to face a villain, before you're able to enter the non-infected part of the city (sounds familiar, does it?). There you can pick up quests for two factions a well as some side-quests, while the game slowly enrolls itself.

As I've said, I haven't played far into the game yet, but somehow I got the feeling you'll face the dude marrying your sister - if she even is your sister, as I got doubts about that too - in the final boss battle. And that sounds familiar too. :D

PS: if there's interest in it, I'll capture some screenshots and post them.