Final 2 skills for my melee/shopper TG... Help!

Thank you for the detailed response! Dude what do you mean we got a bugged combat discipline on consoles? 0_0 Well you seem to have given me confidence in a choice: toughness > SWF in my case at least. I do however think it'd be beneficial to keep UF running for the 10% stun chance (that doesn't seem bad at all for a small penalty). Honestly I was second-guessing myself for a moment after reading your post--I was thinking, "Well it sounds like concentration is worse than combat discipline...... Combat discipline gives a cooldown AND bonus damage." But then I realized 1. Combat discipline does not give as much cooldown and 2. I CAN still get combat discipline since I'm going to scratch SWF.

I guess the decision now becomes for the last 2 choices: toughness and combat discipline? That sounds solid. Or would constitution be much better than toughness for when my shield dies?

Also, how much should I level concentration later on? I'm trying not to think of it as a waste but rather an opportunity to spam CA's better later on.

For the record, when I level willpower, my shield's "ward efficiency" (whatever that is) goes up by two points. For example, it just went from 753 to 755... Do you suppose that's even worthwhile? Or should I just level something else instead of willpower?

So my big question is what to pick for my last 2 skills. Can I get away with combat discipline if I choose toughness as well? Or should I pick constitution and toughness? Combat reflexes? In regards to the offense/defense balance, I do not know where I'll stand. Since I'm not putting pts in strength right now, I arguably need to compensate more with tactics lore and stuff. Also, I haven't been raising my hafted weapons at all... I am level 41 as of right now. Anyways, hope to hear back from you or anyone else within the day! :]

I don't think it's Combat Discipline that's bugged but Combos themselves:

"Prior to game version 2.40.0 (which includes the console versions), it should be noted that due to a bug, Combat Arts in a combo always used attack speed rather than casting speed. This bug affects all combos, whether or not the Combat Discipline skill is taken. See the combo page for details."

I haven't played on consoles but in answer to some of your questions: yes I think Willpower is important if you have an Energy shield. Not only does it increase Spell Resistance, but since your Energy Shield is like a bonus Health Bar, increasing Willpower is like bonus health points.

Likewise in your case I would probably take Constitution+Toughness over Combat Discipline.

• Like! 1

Argh sorry for the double post once more but of course this made me go on a researching spree again. I still don't know if concentration was a good choice as compared to combat discipline! In retrospect, perhaps it would have been smarter to take CD. But oh well. What's done is done. And I still think unmodded UF may be worthwhile--doesn't it have a 10% chance to stun everything around me? :] This would make concentration--in tandem with the notion that concentrations aids "spammability"--worthwhile.

Anyhow, it seems that people who talk about platinum and beyond talk about a large HP pool as necessary. That said, I'm leaning towards constitution (hopefully good shield + good health = tank). Also, my reduction mod on my shield provides slight damage mitigation--5% + .1% per CA level. I mean just saying that at CA level 50 for this buff, I'd have 10% damage mitigation (equal to mastering toughness, no?), in addition to other bonuses such as larger spell reflection and even more derogate damage. Question: is it wise to eat runes for my shield?

Anyways, combat discipline seems like a real option then. I know--it's really obvious I want to witness the extra damage from it lol. Well I gotta go--early morning tomorrow. I won't make any large choices without checking up on this topic first. :P

Thank you for the detailed response! Dude what do you mean we got a bugged combat discipline on consoles? 0_0 Well you seem to have given me confidence in a choice: toughness > SWF in my case at least. I do however think it'd be beneficial to keep UF running for the 10% stun chance (that doesn't seem bad at all for a small penalty). Honestly I was second-guessing myself for a moment after reading your post--I was thinking, "Well it sounds like concentration is worse than combat discipline...... Combat discipline gives a cooldown AND bonus damage." But then I realized 1. Combat discipline does not give as much cooldown and 2. I CAN still get combat discipline since I'm going to scratch SWF.

I guess the decision now becomes for the last 2 choices: toughness and combat discipline? That sounds solid. Or would constitution be much better than toughness for when my shield dies?

Also, how much should I level concentration later on? I'm trying not to think of it as a waste but rather an opportunity to spam Combat Arts better later on.

For the record, when I level willpower, my shield's "ward efficiency" (whatever that is) goes up by two points. For example, it just went from 753 to 755... Do you suppose that's even worthwhile? Or should I just level something else instead of willpower?

So my big question is what to pick for my last 2 skills. Can I get away with combat discipline if I choose toughness as well? Or should I pick constitution and toughness? Combat reflexes? In regards to the offense/defense balance, I do not know where I'll stand. Since I'm not putting pts in strength right now, I arguably need to compensate more with tactics lore and stuff. Also, I haven't been raising my hafted weapons at all... I am level 41 as of right now. Anyways, hope to hear back from you or anyone else within the day! :]

Weapons Skills - such as Sword Weapons or Hafted Weapons - are good for a few things. It allows you to unlock modifiers on the type of weapons in question. If you have an Axe of some flavor that has a Modifier: Hafted Weapons notation, there will be one or possibly more skill boosts that are associated with having that skill that you can only gain if you have the Hafted Weapons skill.

By the time you get closer to level 70 or so, you will also find modifiers that require Hafted Weapons Mastery.

Argh sorry for the double post once more but of course this made me go on a researching spree again. I still don't know if concentration was a good choice as compared to combat discipline! In retrospect, perhaps it would have been smarter to take CD. But oh well. What's done is done. And I still think unmodded UF may be worthwhile--doesn't it have a 10% chance to stun everything around me? :] This would make concentration--in tandem with the notion that concentrations aids "spammability"--worthwhile.

Anyhow, it seems that people who talk about platinum and beyond talk about a large HP pool as necessary. That said, I'm leaning towards constitution (hopefully good shield + good health = tank). Also, my reduction mod on my shield provides slight damage mitigation--5% + .1% per CA level. I mean just saying that at CA level 50 for this buff, I'd have 10% damage mitigation (equal to mastering toughness, no?), in addition to other bonuses such as larger spell reflection and even more derogate damage. Question: is it wise to eat runes for my shield?

Anyways, combat discipline seems like a real option then. I know--it's really obvious I want to witness the extra damage from it lol. Well I gotta go--early morning tomorrow. I won't make any large choices without checking up on this topic first. :P

<sigh> At least 3 of us have told you that Concentration is important to have. Trust us. It's important to have.

As far as runes go... Given an eaten rune does make your CAs (including buffs) stronger, then the answer would be a resounding YES - with 1 caveat. You have to balance the gain with the pain. In other words, you can't eat too many of them at any given time or your other combat arts WILL suffer.

Your other option would be to use what is referred to a "buff suit" - meaning a special set of armor you've got with lots of sockets, all with buff runes socketed. you switch into the armor in question and turn the buff on, then take it off and store it while you're wear your best armor. This gives you the boost of a high level buff, but the CAs don't get regen nerfed as badly.

On the plus side, as long as that buff is active, you've got the benefits of the high levels the suit gives you without the excessive regen nerf.

On the down side, it takes time to swap armor back and forth. If something debuffs you while you're in combat, you're kind of screwed as you can't simply reengage the buff and have it work the same. Not to mention, if you haven't killed whatever debuffed you, it will not be patient while you swap armor to reengage your buff.

• Like! 1

Wolfie--okay I'll trust all of you. :P I'm assuming I should leave concentration at 1 though for awhile since it, according to the wiki, seems to get its biggest cooldown bonuses early on (+gear will help but at this point I'm only finding +2, 3, and 4 gear).

The buff suit idea sounds great and I'll need to give it a try sometime!

I now have an interesting proposition. Doing the math based on a tactics lore table on the sacred wiki, tactics lore still improves pretty darn well after 75 in terms of adding damage percentage. Therefore, diminishing returns are mostly nonexistent. With this fact in play, I now ask: Will increasing my tactics lore BEYOND 75 be more-or-less equal to increasing combat discipline TO 75? In other words, if I still wanted the damage combat discipline would give me BUT didn't take combat discipline AND leveled tactics lore over 75 would that be a roughly equivalent exchange? I know that's very specific, but, if that's the case, I could still take constitution and toughness. I know combat discipline gives the extra cooldown and all, but, as a I have DG focus and concentration, that is negligible. This would give me the offense I need--between derogate and deathly spears being superboosted by tactics lore--while still having defensive skills on a shopper.

But if I decide that for some reason tactics mastery and combat discipline mastery > super tactics lore mastery (beyond 75), wouldn't constitution be better than toughness?

Or do you think I have enough of an offense without combat discipline (you all have suggested that before). I mainly aim to use dedicated blow, deathly spears, and maybe battle extension. As Flix suggested, perhaps I'd be better with both constitution and toughness. Also I may turn combat alert into a buff if the whole forced cooldown from dedicated blow interferes with recasting combat alert. Opinions?

Hmm..

I'm sure there's probably a point where Tactics alone will more than make up for not having Combat Discipline.

However, you're opening paragraph is disturbing.. Only ONE point for Concentration? Um.. Where did I say that would be a good thing?

The primary point of having Concentration is NOT to unlock a second buff. That is an added bonus, but not the reason to take the skill. The point of taking Concentration is to reduce the regen nerf - penalty - to make ALL combat arts regardless of the aspect they belong to. To make this work you MUST invest points into this skill - more than just one!

Look, it's fine and dandy to have a good defense, but, you must balance it with a good offense as well. You want a shopper, and you want to take them into higher levels. Great. That's like 1 skill out of 10. You need to concentrate your efforts on BOTH offense and defense. It's good that you can stand up to the baddest boss on the map, but you eventually have to take the boss down. And if you have no offense or are limiting it to Deathly Spears - which you've been told doesn't really do much until you get to maybe Platinum - you're never going to get there.

What you need is Dedicated Blow, Concentration and Regen Per Hit. That IS the secret sauce behind the Temple Guardian - especially at the lower levels.

The idea here is you kill the enemy before they have a chance to damage you. And to do that, you will need to be able to spam Dedicated Blow so you can kill 1 enemy with 1 hit. Champions might need two, but that's OK. They're supposed to be stronger. You need a regen time right around 1.5 seconds and with RpH socketed, you should be able to have it instantly regenerate so you can hit the next guy coming at you. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! They're all dead.

Dedicated Blow does not have a cooldown. It's just a regular combat art that only has the typical regen penalty. One that can be overcome easily if you add points to Concentration, the correct focus with a side of RpH.

• Like! 1

Well I just figured that since concentration gets over half its cooldown bonus by level 20 (mastery doesn't even double its level 20 cooldown bonus of 26%). So I figured I could worry about putting points in it later. Right now at level 40 I'm trying to keep bargaining at level, put a point in armor lore every level (it's behind though), try to raise tactics lore, and also devout guardian focus.

Anyways, I read about a guy not being able to be a boss' health regen, but not being able to die. That is a sad game over situation I'd like to avoid. I'm already a little behind because I put 20 points in enhanced perception early on (should've left it at 5 for then).

I'm getting mixed messages though about my offense and defense. First it sounds like I need toughness and/or constitution in addition to armor lore and warding energy lore. But then it sounds like combat discipline has taken quite a verbal beating (which would be added offensive capability for me). As it stands right now, my battle extension equals more DPS even though I lack more than 2 points in hafted weapons. This is in part since the mobiclium does something awesome with battle extension, even if my attacks are slow.

Also, if you didn't know, dedicated blow is yet another art bolstered by combat discipline. It really sounds to me like combat discipline and constitution are the way to go.

Also, the "forced cooldown" I've been talking about is the using-a-skill-from-the-same-tree cooldown. For example, I cast combat alert. Then I start spamming dedicated blow. But when I do, combat alert's cooldown keeps getting forced slightly back, delaying my combat alert recast and making me vulnerable.

Edited by ASleeplessWolf

OK, I shall stress out once again this point: combat discipline is nice to have, but it is not necessary. Yes, it is true you must find a balance between offence and defence, however, combat discipline is NOT the game breaker. Trust us on this. You will have other ways of increasing your damage like increasing tactics lore, eating more runes, reducing regeneration to spam your moves, or socketing rings to boost your damage. If you took it already, it's all good. If not, however, then I recommend you don't. I have lots more to say, but I gotta go back to work. >>

• Like! 1

Haha all right. I was just looking at the increases to damage from cobnat discipline but my two sources on this are a bit conflicting. The wiki and a post in another topic disagree slightly. While the wiki claims that combat discipline gives an extra 1356 damage at level 75, this poster from another topic claims that it's a percentage increase:

"CD boosts all combat arts damage in or out of a combo. It boosts the damage to any spell combat arts by the full amount listed (7.5% at level 1, 31.3% at level 10, 103% at level 50, 135% at level 75, 182% at level 100, 283% at level 200) but only increases damage done by melee CA's by the amount they already boost the damage."

So I assume if the wiki's right, a flat increase to damage would make CD not worthwhile. But if it's percentage-based, it could be worthwhile. Still aegis I understand it's probably negligible--I just want to understand it better.

That poster also followed up his statements about combat discipline with:

"So for instance if your Demonic blow increases your damage by 200% when you use it.....instead of CD boosting the total damage your demonic blow does by an additions 182% at level 100....it would boost the increase to your base damage by 182% (basically making your demonic blow increase damage by almost 600% instead of 200%. So CD is actually even better for specific melee combat arts that boost your damage alot....but is not as good for others (like scything sweep) that only increase your damage by a small amount."

Anyways, by the sounds of it, I'm being point in the direction of taking both constitution and toughness. Although modding untouchable force still sounds tempting with constitution having my back, it is a buff that can be debuffed like people said earlier.

So for my build, is:

Constitution + Toughness > Constitution + Combat Discipline > Constitution + SWF?

You don’t need to take Constitution if you put enough points into Vitality, Armor lore and Warding energy lore. I would recommend Toughness and Combat Discipline instead, unless someone can recommend SWF over CD.

As for balancing offence and defence, that’s more circumstantial. If everything around you is of little threat, put more into offence and a little bit into defence. If your enemies dismantle your TG on a regular basis, put points into defence, buy a bigger mallet and study your enemies for weaknesses.

• Like! 1

The Combat Discipline damage increase is percentage based. Look again at the Wiki page:

"Combat Discipline gives a global damage boost for all Arts, in or out of combo. The bonus increases as a player puts more skill points in it. To translate the "+ X" into percentage, divide it by 10 (for example "+ 74" is actually a 7,4% increase, apparently rounded up to 8%)."

The game displays a +X value, which the Wiki faithfully reproduces. However it also explains (maybe it could be clearer) that you're actually getting a percentage increase. So the +1356 at level. 75 actually means you're getting a +135.6% increase to damage.

• Like! 1

John -

FWIW.. I do not know the game's maths. Truth be told, I do not care to know the game's maths. I play to relax and get away from life in general - even if it's for only a couple of hours and not as a new job...

All I know is what works from hard experience. I've managed to take a TG up thru the final battle in Gold. In other words - he's Platinum ready. I haven't taken him beyond this - mainly because I tend to get distracted by other characters and something I haven't explored yet about them. It keeps the game fresh.

For TG CAs, I primarily use Dedicated Blow, Icy Evanescence, Fiery Ember and occasionally Charged Grid. I use both buffs - T-Energy Shroud and Untouchable Force. More Shroud than Force. I do not depend on these to stop the enemy. I rely on DB knocking them into oblivion. THAT stops the enemy. Permanently.

Your best bet if you want to understand all of this is to play the game, try stuff out and if it works - GREAT! If not, Oh well. Start over and try again.

As for Source Warden Focus - It's one of the few times, I'd recommend the LORE instead. Most of the CAs in that aspect are those with long durations AND cooldowns. As such, the only bonus of SWF would be the number of runes you can eat for those CAs and how high the a level you can get with them. Without the focus, you will not be able to eat more than 20 runes before you run into penalties.

John -

FWIW.. I do not know the game's maths. Truth be told, I do not care to know the game's maths. I play to relax and get away from life in general - even if it's for only a couple of hours and not as a new job...

All I know is what works from hard experience. I've managed to take a TG up thru the final battle in Gold. In other words - he's Platinum ready. I haven't taken him beyond this - mainly because I tend to get distracted by other characters and something I haven't explored yet about them. It keeps the game fresh.

For TG CAs, I primarily use Dedicated Blow, Icy Evanescence, Fiery Ember and occasionally Charged Grid. I use both buffs - T-Energy Shroud and Untouchable Force. More Shroud than Force. I do not depend on these to stop the enemy. I rely on DB knocking them into oblivion. THAT stops the enemy. Permanently.

Your best bet if you want to understand all of this is to play the game, try stuff out and if it works - GREAT! If not, Oh well. Start over and try again.

As for Source Warden Focus - It's one of the few times, I'd recommend the LORE instead. Most of the CAs in that aspect are those with long durations AND cooldowns. As such, the only bonus of SWF would be the number of runes you can eat for those CAs and how high the a level you can get with them. Without the focus, you will not be able to eat more than 20 runes before you run into penalties.

I'm not sure I'm following that. You are recommending Lore instead of Focus, but isn't Focus the one that reduces cool down times?

I'm still not sure what I'm going to about the last two skills for my seraphim either.

Edited by Ysne58

Right.. But besides Primal Mutation and Untouchable Force (buff), the other CAs aren't the sort you're going to be able to spam. Fiery Ember, Icy Evanescence and Charged Grid are all long term CAs that have cooldowns as well. We need to make them stronger, and the Lore would help do that.

It's like this - you hit say, Fiery Ember. You switch to Dedicated Blow, and while the ground does it's glowing thing, you go to work taking out the bad guys. By the time, Fiery Ember finishes, odds are the baddies are dead anyhow. Regen for those CAs is not super important.

Makes sense?

Feel free to post a fresh thread if you need help. :D

Edited by wolfie2kX

Done work, back home, must prepare ribs and watch RWBY in the next couple of hours. But... before I do all this, let me continue my thoughts. =p

Going back to one of your thoughts, my opinion on keeping UF on while unmodded is this: don't even bother. To me, if you won't bother taking a skill to help with the source warden aspect, I see no point in using a buff that will ultimately be more of a hindrance. T-energy shroud is already a good enough buff by itself. It is your defence against the pounding you will receive with perks on the side. Unless you intend to invest heavily on the source warden aspect as your secondary, there is no keeping it on 'just in case'. Your 'just in case' can and will come elsewhere like extra health or defence.

If you go through some write-ups, the general consensus is if you have a good shield up and running, constitution is negligible. I don't know that for certain as I have not reached that far with any TG build. I do know for myself that both toughness and constitution are awesome, and there should be one of those skills in there for backup. :P

And to address the whole thing on combat discipline once more, as I have also said, if you chose it already, great. With most of your crucial skills in there, your build is not suffering from it. CD itself is not useless either, given its offensive benefits. It's just that if you're not so heavily invested on CAs, and you have access to a CA that can already crush skulls quickly. That has been the case for me in more than one occasion, where my toon took down bosses so quick that I have practically ignore CD. If you especially intend to include source warden skills in there to utilize the CAs in that tree, CD is the one to drop. As has been pointed out, balancing offense and defense tends to be situational anyways. Not hitting hard enough, get a bigger axe. :P

Final thought, we've given plenty advice, but ultimately it comes down to experiencing the game. My advice, whether you choose to follow with any or not, it doesn't matter, but whatever you do, just remember this: stop worrying, have fun. You will find out what works best for you that way. :-)

Edited by Aegis

Wow multiple responses, thanks! Wolfie--I do not intend to use source warden arts... I was just interested in the buff. But it seems the buff is a bit of a fail considering straight up toughness would probably be better.

Aegis--I have the last 2 skills to pick; I have not taken combat discipline.

Anyways, I have found someone's calculations that claim that if you have below 70% base damage mitigation without toughness, then constitution is a better choice. I don't know the reasoning but w/e already lol. That link is: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Damage_Mitigation

Basically my mind is boggled haha. I think constitution is a better defensive skill since if my shield goes down, I have a backup. As for combat discipline, well, it needs to go up against toughness. Having constitution + a strong shield sounds like I'll be good defensively. I don't think I need toughness there... Can anyone make a case that toughness is actually better than constitution for my temple guardian? I realize my shields will go down slower with toughness, but once they go down (it could happen later), I don't have much of a backup plan. Sure toughness applies to my health too but what health will there be without constitution?

Anyways, I'll leave those skills empty right now... I haven't played for the last day.

Does anyone have suggestions for good dedicated blow mods? Also, for deathly spears, should I pick fire or magic effect? Combat alert--party protection or a permabuff? I play co-op with a friend but he's an inquisitor.

Also does raising my weapon lore (hafted weps) increase my chance to hit with arts such as dedicated blow? I am missing against the werewolves often and since I'm spamming it I can't cast combat alert in time and they get good chunks outta my health. Since the mobiclium has that gllitch with battle extension BE seems much more useful right now.

Are those Artamark, swamp or bar werewolves?

Toughness or Constitution? Constitution is Vitality in skill form. But by the sound of you it seams you’ll be better of picking both, or raising your Vitality a lot.

For deadly spears fire is a good choice because almost all enemies have magic resistance, few have good fire resistance, and your buffs can do magic damage.

...whether you choose to follow with any or not, it doesn't matter, but whatever you do, just remember this: stop worrying, have fun. You will find out what works best for you that way. :-)

Okay... I'm not sure which kind of werewolves haha. The ones outside the inn that has a "sub-boss" (hardly) in the upper floor. It is near a ressurrection monolith.

I think I will take both constitution and toughness--at least on console it seems my character gets stuck all too often.

Also, I have one mod point in deathly spears, but by now mod points are few and far between. Should I mod dedicated blow first? And if so, should I mod it with stun? I have heard deathly spears becomes a good bosskiller, so perhaps it is excessive to give DB a 20% to stun?

And I'm level 42 with only 20 points in armor lore and a couple points in warding energy lore (without the bonuses obviously) so I should be taking some damage I assume. I am working hard to level up armor lore though.

Meh I'm a little bummed out because I've moved back into my college dorm now with its moderate NAT type so my friend and I may not be able to co-op anymore. ,_,

OK, we're talking about those around the area of Griffinborough and the Royal Honky Tonk. That is an area that is very early in the story, not even reaching the first boss yet. With that being said, I find DB in the early game whiff a fair bit in general, and with the high regeneration in the early going, it is painful to see this thing whiff, so you may circumvent this either by letting your TG simply grow over time as it was with one of my TG's, or take the silver mod 'confident' to improve his ability to land hits as with my second TG build. With where I'm at with both TGs, I don't have much in the way of points in my weapon lore yet they still do fine. I just feel it out.

Also, whether DS is great as a boss killer in the distant future or not, I wouldn't give DB the option to stun anyways. I want to kill my enemies and kill them fast, so transformation in the bronze mod is my recommendation. If you happen to have another move up your sleeve for killing things, great. Options is a good thing if you have the room for it. So long as other aspects of my build aren't sacrificed much, I don't consider this situation overkill.

• Like! 1

Remember I'm in gold. I've actually defeated the gar colossus on gold, but it's easy when you have an inquisitor that infini-stuns...

I'll keep increasing willpower I guess. I think constitution would help me out more in the long run whether or not my shield absorbs 100% damage.

I'm tempted to go with stun... But I lose out on a fair amount of damage, huh? Does one ever eat runes for DB or just leave it? I heard .5 seconds was ideal.

Ugh I'll feel so generic if I choose constitution and toughness as my last two skills but hey... I'm on a bargainer character lol.

ALSO does anyone know if having this bargainer for consoles is dumb? I've noticed when I see something for another character class it still will have things like deathly spears + 3 still on them. o_o

OK, level 42 on gold is something else, though my advice still stands in regards to DB whiffing. What I am curious about is the point distribution on your skills, because that will also have an affect on your TG. I only recall you mentioning 20 points on EP, and now you say 20 points on armor lore. As far as toughness and armor lore is concerned, I can't tell you about the numbers. All I can tell you is the two of them together work very, very, VERY well.

Edited by Aegis

Okay well I can give you specific values later if you want, but approximate ones should suffice:

EP: 20 points

Bargaining: 42 points (at level) (these skills are without bonuses; my bargaining with fortification is over 90 lol)

Hafted Weapons: 2 points

Tactics lore: Somewhere over 20 points (I want to prioritize this)

Armor Lore Somewhere just over 20 (I also want this to be mastered early

Warding Energy Lore: 5 points (wanna level it but I should pick it or armor lore to rush)

Devout Guardian Focus: Late teens (this is the other skill I want to prioritize (4 simultaneously)

Concentration: 1 point

As you can see, I think mastering bargaining, tactics lore, armor lore, and maybe devout guardian focus as my top priorities time-wise