Food glorious food - What are you eating

Chef Avillez is great because he has a history of travelling abroad, learning from cooking in different cultures. I've seen an interview with him and liked it a lot because he says that some recipes are so simple and effective that trying to innovate them spoils them. You need a lot of courage to say that out loud as a gourmet chef, that your expensive meal has the same recipe as the one you find for a fifth of the price.

The tasting menu at his restaurant costs over 100€. Sure you have a lot to taste, but when the minimum wage is around 600€ it's telling of how expensive it is. And then every new restaurant opening up will want to present itself as a place of finesse to Jack up the prices, when at the end of the day it's just a regular restaurant.

• Like! 1

The main problem is that cities don't allow big trucks into their shopping streets ;)

Truckers seem allways exchange good and cheap places for lunch. 3 kilometres away from my home is a rest place for truckers:

Today: 6€ for grilled spare ribs with tzatziki, salade, a baguette and 0.33 litre orange juice,cola...

The family plate for 6 costs 20€ and is like 4 portions on a big plate and 6 drinks.

Youth soccer or handball games often end at 11:30am sundays, so with washing and dressing it is around 12:30. If we had to travel it are in average 40 minutes. So we often stop there for lunch. Sundays trucks are only allowed to drive with urgent freight so the stop is more or less like a meeting of families with kids who are hungry after sport and don't want to waste (or haven't) time with preparing lunch on themself.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

New place near me that I never got to go to... decided to strike out and just spend an hour and a bit catching up with posts on DarkMatters... (Dang guys, this forum has been busy lately! :lol: )

I'm usually a regular at Mcdonalds, yah Mcy's...but their coffee is good! But this time because of a free coupon in hand from Fido, decided to try out the Second Cup just next door to them... Yah... all about the service huh ... :thumbsup: Thank you Dominic for making the morning even more shinier...

Kindness and a smile cannot be overestimated...ever

IMG_0091.jpg

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

Sauerbroi (sour brew/soup)

We butchered a pig at firefighting building. The mobile field kitchen was used to boil the sausages, meat, sauerkraut, all in the same pot. So the brew gets thicker and thicker. If no sausage gets destroyed then one blood sausage is destroyed by 'accident'

$_59.JPG

Then

50litre of the brew. We call it Wurstsuppe (sausage soup) and it can be eaten as it is. But we want something better.

40 onions

40 breadrolls

10 kilogramm Mett (minced raw pork) - make it into a near liquid thing using some of the warm brew. We want small pieces in the final brew.

40 garlic toes

10 spoons majoran

40 eggs (quirling while putting in so they are not getting hard)

20 laurel leaves

vinegar (depends 0,5 - 1,5 litres)

saure-fleck-flecke.jpg

We freeze some of it and have someone to warm it so we can eat it when returning from emergencies. Today whole village was invited to eat.

Something which only tastes done the right way. You have to use large pots and amounts.

5 minutes ago, chattius said:

Sauerbroi (sour brew/soup)

We butchered a pig at firefighting building. The mobile field kitchen was used to boil the sausages, meat, sauerkraut, all in the same pot. So the brew gets thicker and thicker.

$_59.JPG

Then

50litre of the brew. We call it Wurstsuppe and it can be eaten as it is. But we want something better.

40 onions

40 breadrolls

10 kilogramm Mett (minced raw pork) - make it into a near liquid thing using some of the warm brew. We want small pieces in the final brew.

40 garlic toes

10 spoons majoran

40 eggs (quirling while putting in so they are not getting hard)

20 laurel leaves

vinegar (depends 0,5 - 1,5 litres)

saure-fleck-flecke.jpg

I love this cooking for the community.  How long does it cook for before ready?

:)

gogo

Oh we were 4 men and two women busy with the knives from 4am to 1pm with 4 half pigs we bought. It was outdoors and we needed it cool and free of flies ;) The soup, Bratwurst, sausages, were done by many people in the afternoon finished at 6pm. Nearly everyone did something.

There are some proud old ladies who worked all their life for the family. Then their husbands died and they are confrontated with the social system. As long as you still have a house you won't get social help. Selling the house you won't get money till you are down to 12000 Euro. But they will never ask for help with money and they don't want to leave home. So we were creative and do events like this, they help and every helper gets some of the result.

Also we have walls with old pictures so they can tell us who is on them, or teaching old local slang to kids, or some old skills like weaving baskets from willows...

The village also has a wood fired baking house which is heated every two weeks. Here it is same: people who help get some of the bread.

I know people in towns who visit the food truck and spend their social money on hair styling and dresses. They have around 3 times the money the village ladies have. So I prefer to spend money to my 'own' people and if it is fun like public cooking - the better.

• Appreciation 1

In Germany white asperagus grows covered with earth and is harvested from mid April to June 24th. After this date the plants rest because harvesting to late in year will resulkt in small plants the next year.

Green asperagus grows in the light, But end of harvest is around the same here.

So for fresh not imported asperagus we will have to wait till mid april, ....

...except you are lucky and stumple above wild Hopfenspargel/Hopfensprossen (hop shoots) or have them in the garden (have both this year). To have strong plants for the hop which is needed for beer the plants have to be cut so that only 3 shoots remain. Hop farmers ate the hop shoots for centuries. Recently star cooks discovered the hop shoots. They are ripe mid March and the taste is close to asperagus.

They prics exploded a bit - just 1500 Canadian Dollar the kilo. Flame the noble restaurants.  :whistle:

http://www.dailybeer.ca/eat-hop-shoots/

IMG_9981.jpg?w=1170

• Like! 1
18 hours ago, gogoblender said:

59495516902__C15E3F07-5149-4C04-9404-B982A4D9FD03.jpg

This stuff's never on sale...im never gonna stop eating it all week..I so swear...!

:viking:

gogo

I love asparagus. blanched quickly and then into a pan with some butter, salt and pepper... nothing beats that!

They are unfortunately also quite expensive here in SA...

• Like! 1
18 hours ago, chattius said:

In Germany white asperagus grows covered with earth and is harvested from mid April to June 24th. After this date the plants rest because harvesting to late in year will resulkt in small plants the next year.

Green asperagus grows in the light, But end of harvest is around the same here.

So for fresh not imported asperagus we will have to wait till mid april, ....

...except you are lucky and stumple above wild Hopfenspargel/Hopfensprossen (hop shoots) or have them in the garden (have both this year). To have strong plants for the hop which is needed for beer the plants have to be cut so that only 3 shoots remain. Hop farmers ate the hop shoots for centuries. Recently star cooks discovered the hop shoots. They are ripe mid March and the taste is close to asperagus.

They prics exploded a bit - just 1500 Canadian Dollar the kilo. Flame the noble restaurants.  :whistle:

http://www.dailybeer.ca/eat-hop-shoots/

IMG_9981.jpg?w=1170

1 hour ago, Delta! said:

I love asparagus. blanched quickly and then into a pan with some butter, salt and pepper... nothing beats that!

They are unfortunately also quite expensive here in SA...

Guys I'm thinking there must be an asparagus mafia in the world some where ...controlling supply of these delicious vegetables to kind eaters like us  :mafia:

I have two packets for today...into the microwave with some salt and butter...and I'll eat them like lollipop sticks!

:lol:

gogo

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Kohlraawe mett Soiverflaasch, Steckrüben mit Solberfleich, Rutabaga with cured pork belly (?)

Another very old recipe

We did a butchering of 4 half pigs a while ago at firefighters. Some of the pork belly we placed for 3 days in salt water. Then we dried it in top open air room of the old tower which was used to dry water hoses. This technique was used to store pork and other meat in times with no refridgerator.

Rutabega cut in dices, next layer are large pieces of cured pork belly. When all is boiling for 30 minutes add a layer of diced potato (same amount as rutabaga and fine cut carrots fot the colour if using white rutabaga.

Just a bit pepper needed, the salt from the cured pork belly is enough normally.

You can buy cure pork belly at butchers here. But say that you don't want it done by injecting salt water. 3 days in salt water is more tasteful but more expensive too. I add certain deep frozen bacteria to the salt water. The bacteria will eat nitrates from the pork. I think this is not allowed to be sold at shops. But in former times some of the salt lake (with bacteria, not known by people then) was given from house to house as a starter liquid to whoever did the next butchering.

The pieces to the left are normally used for salting/curing. When 3 days salted they are dried with linnen towels and layed on the hide side for drying.

51VSdjcPlaL.jpg

• Like! 1

No recipe, but a resource for real fresh food here:

IMG_92761.jpg

Would it work in towns too? Or would some people take without paying?  I see them on restplaces at streets near to a farm. A bigger one is at the fire department at the disctrict capitol.

It would not work in South Africa... the whole thing would be stolen... even the trailer...

But I think it is a great thing that in Europe you can trust people to respect you and your property.

Yes, spelling of the pumpkins names is not really fixed.

Many farmers place boxes for money at fields with strawberries (pay per full 10l bucket), sunflowers (per piece), .... They believe that around half the people pay. People who steal would steal anyway. But the ones who just can't resist a sudden hunger for fresh strawberries may pay. Familes with no garden living in a town often come with kids to show how harvesting is done. So farmers in my region say it works.

And then there are these mini supermarkets on 4 wheels with no personal: it works if not too far away from the farm. People do harder to steal from people they know.

• Like! 1

chattius you must have picked a cozy place to live! The trailer would be empty within minutes in the area I live. However, your local farmers are obviously clever enough not to put their self-brewed booze on the trailer (:

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice thread. I love to cook and bake as well.

Tonight I am taking the turkey carcass ( we were sill living off the turkey from thanksgiving) and gonna boil it down for the start of turkey and rice soup.

I'm going boil the carcass all night and strain it in the morning and start simmering the soup all day for a yummy broth.

12 minutes ago, Robi Dean said:

Nice thread. I love to cook and bake as well.

Tonight I am taking the turkey carcass ( we were sill living off the turkey from thanksgiving) and gonna boil it down for the start of turkey and rice soup.

I'm going boil the carcass all night and strain it in the morning and start simmering the soup all day for a yummy broth.

That's an wonderful endeavour ... much more brave than going out for my fast food romps

:oooo:

gogo

Dulges for the coming big birthday party

Doing a lot at baking house days (when our village baking house is open for everyone) or at firefighter events.

7 pounds potato, rough grated or fine stripes

1 pound onions, fine diced

2 eggs

1 pound Mettwurst (sausage) cut in dices

100g fatback, diced

salt,nutmeg

Pig pan

roast the fatback, after a while add the Mettwurst and roast it till the outside starts to get crispy

now add the rest

Roast till the bottom has a hard crust, break all in pieces, roast till hard crust, break, roast, ... for 45-60 minutes

Serve with apple sauce and apple wine / apple juice as a drink. This receipe really tastes best if you do it for lot of people. Field kitchen at half our twins and mine birthday ;)

Searched internet for variants. The picture is from someone who did a smaller amount in a casserole in an oven. Not as crispy as I like.

pict0772-jpg.663495

Following is the big amount way in the front. But diced potato instead stripes. I do it the second way but with the stripes from the first ;)

In the back is 'Himmel und Erd' / 'Heaven and Earth'.

One half ofit is boiled potato. Look to the earth when harvesting

Other half boiled apples, pears or both. Look to the sky/heaven when harvesting.

Mixed and mashed and served with apple sauce and roasted blood sausage.

180902-wetzlar-00345.jpg

• Like! 1

Picture were from internet. My birthday wasn't yet. I think I wrote I will go for the potato stripes from the first picture and the amount of roasting from the second.

The recipe is for a single breakfast by the way. 10 pounds are just enough for a hungry firefighter after a long nightshift ;)

No joking, but I kept my weight for the last 20 years more or less. We have a sauna outside the house halfways dug into the hill. One way to burn internal energy reserves. Then 2 daughters out of the house but the dogs still here. Lots of walking ;)

Mmmh! Sounds good! I wonder however, that you haven´t mentioned the boxes of beer, chattius! "Extinguishing the fire" can have several
means as you know. What´s your favorite by the way?