Food glorious food - What are you eating

I wouldn't do long eggs for normal day use. But with 18 people as now, or at parties -if they ever can be done again-  it isn't that much extra work once you have a bit training or many kids hands who like to try it. For a wedding party our second used rutabega powder to colour the yolk and shaped the long egg  into a heart form.

---

Fächerkartoffel / fan potato?

The twins from my brother are scheduled for cooking today. They want to try this they found in web. Crispy as chips with way less fat. Dip from Quark with herbs.

Most fun was of cause watching them and our third yesterday to build a cutting robot from LEGO.

faecher-kartoffeln-1024x579.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey im getting better...I did the cooking and assembling and Schot did teh Forking... for some reason that kept evading me... will do a follow up in ...oh say twenty minutes... keep yer fingers crossed

9wX9xxWpDYyXJ1gZKIPXhNCg7V_JQPD3mBRlDHng

7 minutes ago, Zodiac-Mindwarp said:

Looks great!

Never made sauce like this before... aunt told me to slow cook it for a looooong time... it really rendered down the beef.. very tasty, but a little rich... but will be an encore sometime soon... this time was tempted to de-fat it...but stayed the course

:Laie_58:

gogo

Grünkern stew

Probably the only thing to be explained is Grünkern (green kernel). Some centuries (milleniums?) back it was a wet summer and the spelt was not getting ripe in time before autumn. So it was harvested while still green. To make it storable it was dried the same way as sausages get smoked. When all normal food was eaten in winter they had to eat the Grünkern. They tried several recipes, stew, soup, .,... and found it tasty. So in an attempt to avoid future misharvests they decided to harvest some spelt each year while still green. Normal spelt was still needed for bread baking,

Spelt transforms most of its sugar into carbohydrates when riping. So when harvesting it green there is still some sugar in it. Drying with beech wood smoke adds a smoky taste (some Grünkorn nowadays is dried with machine, sometimes without smoke). So a sweet and smokey taste, nice for some recipes likes steaks, meat soups, stews, vegan burgers, chilli sin carne, ...

An english language recioe with pictures:

https://melindastrauss.com/2011/06/23/gruenkern-stew/

We do it in our field kitchen  because I am the opinion that big amounts taste even better.

gruenkern.jpg

• Like! 1

again ordered last night...these guys are so tasty... and trying to support local... this ones called the Canadian ( or quebecois here in ... :lol: Quebec ) ... Bacon, pepperoni, cheese, sauce and mushyrooms 

:JC_hurrah:

gogo

pizza.jpg

4 hours ago, gogoblender said:

again ordered last night...these guys are so tasty... and trying to support local... this ones called the Canadian ( or quebecois here in ... :lol: Quebec ) ... Bacon, pepperoni, cheese, sauce and mushyrooms

Very much like our Hessian Pizza, but we replace:

your soft pizza dough with farmers sour dough

bacon with Aahle Worscht

pepperoni with onions

cheese with Handkäse

sauce with Schmand

mushrooms with apple slices

the unknown green on your pizza with some chopped bear garlic and caraway

Coke with Sauer Gespritztem (apple wine with sparkling mineral water)

As I said very much the same

We use two BIG plates to feed our family and not these tiny from a recipe site. They were using Harzer and not Handkäse.

hessische-pizza.jpg

• Like! 1

Gettin ready... you guys gave me great advice with the egg on top of the pie last time.. came out golden delicious... here's to an early prep..  I get some strange satisfaction out of cooking a big dish like this (for me ) on the weekends...makes me feel chefy! :lol:

61024410197__79A188AB-8872-4B02-A31D-B4E267ED9FD3.jpg

:)

gogo

A former classmate runs a restaurant. Sadly it is a countryside one on a road mainly for walking trips with no visitors at these times. He is currently working on his old wooden patchwork house to fulfill the newest health laws about restaurants.

Some long time orders couldn't be cancelled and his cooling room is still full from old orders. So he asked me if I would be interested in t-bone steaks from the Chianina breed of cattle for more or less the price he paid at the farmer.

It is an anciant breed used for heavy work, so VERY large t-bones... Totally different to our local breed which was a variant of celtic cows, breeded for working and feeding  in dense forests.

The classical way to do it seems to be Bistecca alla fiorentina (foto). But I want to try at least two of them sour marinated doing a variant of a local recipe for working horse meat for the religious day next week. And two the classical recipe for this sunday. So two left for sunday in a week.

Any of you already prepared bistecca alla fiorentina or has knowledge about preparing steaks this big? They are 9 days cooled just above freezing in no oxygen environment.

b35cbef2480a4f1a4b3be819ae8a9014.jpg

Bistecca_alla_fiorentina-01.jpg

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Androdion said:

Now that's a proper steak! :drool:

Ayup!~

I'm not so good with proteins unfortunately... but I can see myself making sure to be purposefully invited to friends' place for weekend steak drop ins

:drool:

gogo

And... in instead present... breakfast!.  I used to eat cereal for years, but lately moved to toast, peanut butter and bananas... and have now recently moved back to cereal.. hey... a hybrid of both can work too right :D This cereal is so ...dense... im really not hungry after it till 11 am :wow:

IMG_3130.jpg

:theuns:

gogo

I feel your pain mate. :mellow:

The wifey did homemade pici pasta and I did a mix of mushrooms stir fried with roasted chicken breast and soy cream. A nice wine and a good scotch to complement and I'm done for the night. Maybe another session of D2F before bedtime. :dragonbrother:

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Androdion said:

I feel your pain mate. :mellow:

The wifey did homemade pici pasta and I did a mix of mushrooms stir fried with roasted chicken breast and soy cream. A nice wine and a good scotch to complement and I'm done for the night. Maybe another session of D2F before bedtime. :dragonbrother:

ha ...I'd rather feel your plate!

:lol:

gogo

Wissegemois

Our third will do Wissegemois (meadow vegetables) for thursday which is a religious day here. Young nettles, young dandelions, young sorrel, young bishop's weed, ...

All is short boiled, pressed through a meat grinder, ...

Than a pot with greenback dices is heated till the fat is released, some chopped onions roasted in it, a bit flour added, then the grinded vegs added and after a while some bouillon.

Served with salt potato and boiled eggs.

It looks much like the 'Frankfurter Grüne Sosse', a speciality in Frankfurt. But the Frankfurt variant has always the same 7 vegs and they are prepared unboiled and only chopped, the Frankfurt variant can use cream or creme fraiche,.. Markets sell the 7 vegs as a special mix so people in towns can do it easily.

But it lacks the randomness and fun I prefer. Doing a walk on a meadow and searching the herbs with the family in the morning befor the lunch. So we do it mainly sundays and free days. Because the vegs for Frankfurt are in a clean environment washing is enough. But collected in open meadows boiling is needed because of wild animals and risk of fox bandworms.

AS you get it in Frankfurt:

640px-Gr%C3%BCne_So%C3%9Fe_Ei_kartoffeln

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Daedalus said:

I am going to make myself a couscous later on today. Hopefully, I won't forget to take a screenshot and post it here ;)

That's one of my favorite foods.  Kind of a classic mainstay with my family on weekends and holidays

Yum

:theuns:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Boy did we ever eat too much for Schot's Bday...but SOOOOOOO good... last day yesterday was some Sushi (course take out only ) and they were kind and threw in some extra ( free! :bounce:) fried, encrusted Salmon roll... keeeeeeeeeeee yumbo! 

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

On 6/3/2020 at 6:29 PM, gogoblender said:

Cooked this last night from a packet...yah.. desperate huh... and... this just looked like it wasnt going to stay down well ... :lol:

61283343630__3FB1DA6C-E6F0-4279-80F3-BDF4D9B08BD4.jpg

:4rofl:

gogo

What is it?