Food glorious food - What are you eating

Went to visit Ammamma last night after work.  Pretty exhausted this is our busiest time of year.  But sitting with her while she shares food has a kind of chill factor... i can just think about the week, the work the calls.  Course while in this mode forgot to pick up  her Nuggets from Mcdonalds as usual, and so re-routed to a cool shop, Frites Alors... the gravy, the size... this is good poutine!

IMG_5283.jpg

Planed to create a topic with halloween recipes. But I totally forgot that Canadian poutine is more than enough to terrify non Canadians at halloween. We plan some sausage mummies for halloween. Recipe is easy some mini versions of Wiener or Mettwurst, some Blätterteig (sort of puff pastry), some mayonnaise, some ketchup.

Wrap thin ribbons of buff pastry around a sausage, bake it, use syringes with ketchup and mayonnaise to make eyes. Veg version could be using filled red paprika to replace the sausages.

link to recipe in German: https://www.einfachbacken.de/rezepte/mumien-wuerstchen-herzhaftes-fingerfood-fuer-halloween

mumien_wuerstchen.jpg?h=4521fff0&itok=Rz

Halloween_Rezept_Grusel_Mumien.jpg

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, chattius said:

Planed to create a topic with halloween recipes. But I totally forgot that Canadian poutine is more than enough to terrify non Canadians at halloween. We plan some sausage mummies for halloween. Recipe is easy some mini versions of Wiener or Mettwurst, some Blätterteig (sort of puff pastry), some mayonnaise, some ketchup.

Wrap thin ribbons of buff pastry around a sausage, bake it, use syringes with ketchup and mayonnaise to make eyes. Veg version could be using filled red paprika to replace the sausages.

link to recipe in German: https://www.einfachbacken.de/rezepte/mumien-wuerstchen-herzhaftes-fingerfood-fuer-halloween

mumien_wuerstchen.jpg?h=4521fff0&itok=Rz

Halloween_Rezept_Grusel_Mumien.jpg

haahah, you're right Chattius... your foods are *cute*  ... but QC Poutine just about scares the BEEP out of any other food!

:4rofl:

gogo

• 1 month later...

Soooo addicted to making omelettes every morning now before work... got the "hang" of making them, and just cant seem to give it up.. I think its because my feel on it was years back that it was a sort of luxury product I only enjoyed while having brunches with my friends on weekends, but these days, after a run in the morning, coming home and making a hot meal like this filled with hot, meltycheese, and whatever fresh veggies are in the fridge does me good and fuels me perfect for a loooong day on the phone

IMG_5926.jpg

gotten this trick of adding a little bit of oil on the teflo pan.. so it not only creates a *cooked* omelette but also adds a touch of that delicious *fry*...oooh, bless a little evil in our mornings right

:D

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Look good Androdion! Im jealous of your gas cooker, we still have elements here, (old apartment) maybe well get a new one this year

Hoping Santa can squish it down our non-existent chimney

gogo

I've become a HUGE fan of Kale these last few months.  Its inepensive, terrific texture, and, when cut up tiny, changes its consistency and we add it to almost anything just to bringup the "raw" nutrient components of many of our dishes. Takes soooooooo long to prepare though, and in this context cant think of anything more expensive to prepare:

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

with some roast sirloin and bean sprouts. bean sprouts are practically free ... for now :P

We had the first time Kalettes on trellis's along the barn wall. Mix between brussel sprout and kale. Not harvested yet, we wait for a periode of colder weather to make them more sweet. This picture was the reason we put low trellis's at the wall. On the higher part we grew rapes. For brown cabbage, sort of kale, we do the 2metre variant which looks like a small palm. So we can grow other vegs below on ground.

Kalettes_stem_and_indivisual.jpg

longer article:

https://www.elephantasticvegan.com/kalettes-flower-sprouts/

It is cheaper and quicker to have them in garden than waiting for a market to have them.

• Like! 1
5 hours ago, chattius said:

We had the first time Kalettes on trellis's along the barn wall. Mix between brussel sprout and kale. Not harvested yet, we wait for a periode of colder weather to make them more sweet. This picture was the reason we put low trellis's at the wall. On the higher part we grew rapes. For brown cabbage, sort of kale, we do the 2metre variant which looks like a small palm. So we can grow other vegs below on ground.

Kalettes_stem_and_indivisual.jpg

longer article:

https://www.elephantasticvegan.com/kalettes-flower-sprouts/

It is cheaper and quicker to have them in garden than waiting for a market to have them.

All those veggies u write about are among my fave vegetables. Hearty, robust of flavor and very filling. They have become so expensive lately though!!

😳

gogo

13 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I'm jealous of your gas cooker

Don't be, as natural gas is pretty much inexpensive when compared to electricity. Induction boards are really expensive, and the extra cost of the electricity is just brutal. So yeah, a good gas burner gets a lot of mileage here. The oven must be electric though, gas burner on the oven doesn't make roasts as good.

@chattius Those are some big big cales mate! Do you do sauerkraut with them by any chance?

9 hours ago, Androdion said:

@chattius Those are some big big cales mate! Do you do sauerkraut with them by any chance?

No Sauerkraut, it's taste would overwrite the fine taste of Kalettes. The Kalettes in garden are too cabbage in taste still. We will try them with Kasseler and Kohlwoscht (slang for a local Pinkel sausage variant). It will be made in a Römertopf (clay pot) once they are ripe after x-mas. We read that they get sweeter the longer they are on the plant. Putting in a fridge won't work with them.

The grandparents of my wife produced clay pots and my wife made some old style. So we have a lot of experience with them. Our own recipes mix them all, clay pot, boar and not pig, brown cabbage, .

Will be much like a mix of these two picture below, just have a bigger pot, add some small whole Pinkel-sausages amd some cut Mettwurst -the Brussel sprouts being Kalettes. Using a clay pot will keep all the minerals and vitamines. Kasseler either in slices or as a stew. We have enough Kalettes and enough winter left to do some trying and discussing, which is a lot of fun and cooking training for the kids. Improvise what you know.

It isn't actually that much sausage as it looks on second picture. The Mettwurst slices are just top so the fat can move down through the cabbage and potatoes. No extra fat needed this way.

Casserole variant

rosenkohl-kasseler-auflauf.jpg

clay pot variant, preferred

Once the pot is closed with the clay cover, most all of the liquid stays in, together with vitamins, taste, minerals, ....

8396.jpg

cut off Pinkel sausage, we often add some groats of Grünkern to the normal groats of oats.

640px-Gruenkohl_mit_Pinkel.jpg

Clay pot, here a Römertopf

640px-Roemertopf-r-.jpg

13 years ago we had an AuPair from Portugal. If I remember right: For her "Cozido a Portuguesa" she used two pots and two alarm watches: one pot for the hen. The other for pork, beef and garlic sausage, chickpeas, carrots, ....

The day before:

water the clay pot vs put the dried chickpeas in water

The next day

just Kasseler and Pinkel for ours vs hen,pork,beef and garlic sausage, also more different veg (white cabbage vs our brown?)

just winter vs all year

put clay pot in oven for 4 hours vs all the time looking for the pots and adding hen, chickpeas at given time

Maybe it was just her to make everything right or we Hessian Barbarians are lazy people if it is cooking related ;)

If I learned one thing at army then to make a cheap but tasty stew in a field kitchen. At weekends our cookie left us alone so we had to experiment a lot. And all stews looked more or less just like a stew, if you were not carefully looking for the contents on your plate

• Like! 1

There are actually some different variations of the traditional "cozido". The typical and most known variant is boiling the meats; belly, stomach, ears and all those parts along with "morcelas" which are a special kind of sausage in a pressure pan, then use that cooking water for boiling the carrots, cabbage, turnips and potatoes and have them taste of the meat and the fat of the meat. It's quite literally a caloric bomb, it's very very intense, and if you dislike the taste of boiled pork you won't really like it since the taste is everywhere. You have other variants where the vegetables are cooked in separate waters, so there's more of a contrast between the boiled meats and the veggies. Some people use different meats, with less fat, some with more fat, some with rice "morcelas", etc. But pretty much the only one I can eat is the truly epic "cozido das Furnas", which is made in the steam furnaces in one the islands in Azores. It's absolutely brutal in its simplicity, as they put every part of the the stew in layers in a single pot, lay it down inside the earth near the thermal furnaces and just... leave it there! After several hours they unearth the pot and serve it as is, barely any water in it and everything steam boiled in its own fat and juices! It's unbelievably good and it barely has any taste of that typical pork fat, so it has all of the good things in a "cozido" and none of the bad. Really, you guys have to try it at least once in your lifetime.

• Respect! 1
8 hours ago, Androdion said:

After several hours they unearth the pot and serve it as is, barely any water in it and everything steam boiled in its own fat and juices! It's unbelievably good and it barely has any taste of that typical pork fat, so it has all of the good things in a "cozido" and none of the bad. Really, you guys have to try it at least once in your lifetime.

That's why we use a sort of Römertopf (clay pot) and not a casserole. Lower temperature and slow, keeps the good things. But if you want a roasted aroma you have to use a casserole.

• Like! 1
On 12/14/2021 at 7:31 PM, Androdion said:

There are actually some different variations of the traditional "cozido". The typical and most known variant is boiling the meats; belly, stomach, ears and all those parts along with "morcelas" which are a special kind of sausage in a pressure pan, then use that cooking water for boiling the carrots, cabbage, turnips and potatoes and have them taste of the meat and the fat of the meat. It's quite literally a caloric bomb, it's very very intense, and if you dislike the taste of boiled pork you won't really like it since the taste is everywhere. You have other variants where the vegetables are cooked in separate waters, so there's more of a contrast between the boiled meats and the veggies. Some people use different meats, with less fat, some with more fat, some with rice "morcelas", etc. But pretty much the only one I can eat is the truly epic "cozido das Furnas", which is made in the steam furnaces in one the islands in Azores. It's absolutely brutal in its simplicity, as they put every part of the the stew in layers in a single pot, lay it down inside the earth near the thermal furnaces and just... leave it there! After several hours they unearth the pot and serve it as is, barely any water in it and everything steam boiled in its own fat and juices! It's unbelievably good and it barely has any taste of that typical pork fat, so it has all of the good things in a "cozido" and none of the bad. Really, you guys have to try it at least once in your lifetime.

Never read about anything like this before.  We ordered some take out sri lankan food last night, and one of the dishes was supposed to be an intricately layered rice dish cooked in yoghort, Chicken biryanhi... whole thing looked and felt like a kind of cheap chicken casserole rice with a chicken 🍗 leg  along side and a boiled egg... not the works of art some of my aunts can create.

I will look for your cozido

:blink:

gogo

On 12/15/2021 at 3:50 AM, chattius said:

That's why we use a sort of Römertopf (clay pot) and not a casserole. Lower temperature and slow, keeps the good things. But if you want a roasted aroma you have to use a casserole.

is this sometimes done in two parts, some clay pot and some roasting , so that both of elements can be gotten?

:)

gogo

5 hours ago, gogoblender said:

is this sometimes done in two parts, some clay pot and some roasting , so that both of elements can be gotten?

:)

gogo

Yes sometimes we mix for example cast-iron dutch oven and clay pot. Wild game is normally put on a layer of hay in a dutch oven. Once the meat seams to be roasted enough the meat will be finished with the vegs in the clay pot.

Or if it is too nasty outside for an open fire - there are this heat resistant plastic bags (roasting tubes?) you can put in an oven.

Heubraten = roasting in hay

superleckerer-und-einfacher-heubraten.jp

We prefer to not finish in the plastic bag. We do only the meat in it for a slight taste of roast and hay. Zhe meat will be finished with the vegs in the clay pot.

• Like! 1
On 12/16/2021 at 11:49 AM, chattius said:

Yes sometimes we mix for example cast-iron dutch oven and clay pot. Wild game is normally put on a layer of hay in a dutch oven. Once the meat seams to be roasted enough the meat will be finished with the vegs in the clay pot.

Or if it is too nasty outside for an open fire - there are this heat resistant plastic bags (roasting tubes?) you can put in an oven.

Heubraten = roasting in hay

superleckerer-und-einfacher-heubraten.jp

We prefer to not finish in the plastic bag. We do only the meat in it for a slight taste of roast and hay. Zhe meat will be finished with the vegs in the clay pot.

just by looking at that pic, i can "taste" the hay... though Ive never "had" hay before, the smell is so distinct, I can sense it just from the pic

gogo

44 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

they do the cooking in geo thermal?

for real?

:O

gogo

Ayeh! And the taste is unreal. They leave each pot there for at least 6 to 7 hours. Those images are from a natural park that you can visit, and that specific area has different holes for each restaurant that is allowed to use those grounds for that kind of cooking. It's a very specific cultural cooking that is only prepared like that in that particular island. Really it's something to try at least once in a lifetime.

Do an image search for "caldeira das furnas" and "lagoa das furnas" in São Miguel island in the Azores archipelago. The landscape is incredible!

Today was the first day the kids were selling x-mas trees so people could chop them at place. The trees could be chosen for some weeks and were numbered. Each number included a coupon for some pea soup made from me in a field kitchen.

So they were normally chopping between 11 am to 12 and they then could eat pea soup for lunch for the family from 11_30 to 1pm. I had 250 litres and just 7 left :)

I know from my army time that pea soup on the other side of the atlantic is often more a pouree made from split peas. We use the whole peas including the scales, lets call it a soup al dente as with noodles,

We add a lot of fat back cubes, potato cubes, leek, carrots, little Frankfurters, Kasseler, ... And seeing more than a centimetre water in the field kitchen is not allowed.

Pea soup, it is better the bigger the pot my mom said. And 250litre is starting to be called big.

• Like! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Schot got a crock pot for Christmas from my cousin and the family

... I like the idea of setting and forgetting ...but this first recipe he's trying out has.. apples?

\Can anyone here convince me that everything that comes out of a crock pot dont all taste like mush?

hope he dont see this post :4rofl: 

IMG_6751.jpg:lol: